HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moreau Contract

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 03:24 AM
John Christie

vCash:
Moreau Contract

I am glad that Moreau is staying with the Oilers. I still remember in the playoffs in 2000 where Moreau had a broken heal on his foot and he iced it and played the whole series.......nothing shows dettermination and character then playing with that kind of pain. Ask anybody how a brokjen heal is: You can't even walk and this guy played. I remember how Hitchcock raved about him and how he loved his character

Also Lowe is a big fan of his grit and character

Bob Murray (former Hawks GM who drafted Moreau) said if he would love to have 20 Ethan Moreau's on his team.

His contract is very very reasonable and I am surprised at the money amount...........all year below league average and for all the people who said to trade him.....well, he took a big pay cut - that's for sure.

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...9-30-0079.html

Old
09-30-2003, 04:04 AM
Hellström

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
I do like Moreau a lot and i´m really happy today !
I´m satisfied with the contract and Moreau shows character on AND off the ice.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:46 AM
IceDragoon

"Moreau will earn $1.5 million this season, $1.3 million in the second and third years of the contract and $1.2 million in the final year, which will take him through the 2006-07 season."

He's saying all the right things now. (as opposed to the end of last year) There are many things I have liked about Chopper and as long as he keeps "bringin' it", the above salary is reasonable. If he doesn't, the above salary is tradable.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:21 AM
Tidus

I wouldn't trade Moreau at that price, and I wouldn't be surprised if his new contract had a no trade clause, simply because he signed well below the league average for 4 years. Good for everyone involved, he will be a leader for years to come... and possibly a future C?

Smyth takes a paycut to stay, now Ethan does the same... Comrie, where are you dude?

Old
09-30-2003, 05:39 AM
fulk hogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus
I wouldn't trade Moreau at that price, and I wouldn't be surprised if his new contract had a no trade clause, simply because he signed well below the league average for 4 years. Good for everyone involved, he will be a leader for years to come... and possibly a future C?

Smyth takes a paycut to stay, now Ethan does the same... Comrie, where are you dude?
No-trade clauses can only be a part of a contract for 31+ year old players. Its good to hear that Edmonton is keeping some of its leaders, especially a gritty one like Moreau who can help the younger players immeasurably.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:58 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Yeah. My feeling over the past few years is that Ethan was just paid too much for what he does. He's no longer paid too much for what he does- in fact, he's probably very good value for what he does.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:26 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
1.33 average salary over four years is VERY excellent value! Moreau def. took less to remain an Oiler. Those are the kind of guys you want/need on a team!

Old
09-30-2003, 06:51 AM
theoil

Salo, Smyth and now Moreau have all taken less than the NHLPA or their agents would have liked in the last few years. Of course its huge, incomprehensible dollars. But thank you for your decisions.

Old
09-30-2003, 07:05 AM
Digger12

5.3 over 4 years is damn good value, even for Moreau.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I'm not blind to his strengths either. I like him on my team, IF his salary is comparable to his skillset.

This salary is comparable. Finally, a Lowe-negotiated contract that doesn't make me look in my medicine cabinet for a bottle of Gravol.

Strange how the yearly salary lowers the further into the contract you go.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:08 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Strange how the yearly salary lowers the further into the contract you go.
I found that odd too.

Sorry if I was a little cranky this morning guys.

I have a soft spot in my heart for guys who give everything they have to the game of hockey. Especially when they are not gifted with a generous dose of talent. I always thought that Moreau was the glue on the MGM line. I watched him more than the others on the ice with him. He was my unsung hero.

Then at the end of last year, he played like he gave up and didn't care anymore. To me, that is the cardinal sin of hockey. I wanted him gone because that attitude is poison in the dressing room, especially with a young team. And because I didn't want to wonder when he was going to quit again.

To me, this contract says that he's sucking it up. It's a good first step.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:14 AM
Asiaoil

Well Moreau is not one of my favorites - but I appreciate what he brings to a young team like the Oilers. The dollars fairly reflect his value after this year.

Lowe seems to have gotten a much better handle on the contract negotiations this year - and he if he pulls off a decent return for Comrie - I will be impressed with his performance.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:35 AM
serum114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Well Moreau is not one of my favorites - but I appreciate what he brings to a young team like the Oilers. The dollars fairly reflect his value after this year.

Lowe seems to have gotten a much better handle on the contract negotiations this year - and he if he pulls off a decent return for Comrie - I will be impressed with his performance.
I fully agree. I think it is a lot easier for him now that a lot of the young talent is HIS young talent, meaning he has more faith in letting guys like Comrie sit.

Lowe has made a lot of little rookie mistakes, but I think his go-get-em hardball attitude nowadays is a product of his confidence in the personnel HE has assembled. I think he really feels as though the team is finally his.

The same goes for MacT. I think part of him returning for a long time was the working arrangement he has with Lowe and the faith he has in both the players on the ice and his ability to influence who stays and who goes with KLowe.

I, for one, have faith in both of them—more now than ever. I'm excited to see what they can do.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:39 PM
jofa

I have to admit, I was in the "trade Moreau" camp at the beginning of the summer, but this deal has won me over. Moreau brings a lot of veteran leadership, grit and heart to this team, as well as a few timely points here and there. This deal means we get to keep these intangibles without compromising a large chunk of our paycheque like we would have with Marchant. Good for Ethan for showing his commitment to the organization, and vice versa for Lowe and co. Edmonton's youth will be better off as a result of having guys like Moreau, Smyth and Smith around.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:29 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
Lowe has made a lot of little rookie mistakes, but I think his go-get-em hardball attitude nowadays is a product of his confidence in the personnel HE has assembled. I think he really feels as though the team is finally his.

The same goes for MacT. I think part of him returning for a long time was the working arrangement he has with Lowe and the faith he has in both the players on the ice and his ability to influence who stays and who goes with KLowe.

I, for one, have faith in both of them—more now than ever. I'm excited to see what they can do.
Agreed.

I have always given KLo the benefit of the doubt when he made "little rookie mistakes", while some of my local hockey pals would often rue the day Slats left. Last year he made some tough changes and took a lot of heat. But when the dust cleared, there was no doubt that now, this is his team and he knows it.

For the first couple of years, he and MacT seemed rather tentative. We see more of MacT, and he looked like he wanted to play it safe, not make too many mistakes. This year, I have seen a renewed confidence and commitment in both men. Adding Simmer to the coaching staff was a risk Klo took, that I believe, will look like a stroke of genius down the road.

I too am excited and have faith that KLo and MacT will give their all for their/our team.

Moreau is one of the leaders in the dressing room. The team's commitment to him (and his to the team) is an affirmative statement to all who wear the oil drop.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:55 PM
MrMackey

I'm glad this was done. I was all for trading Moreau at $1.6, but this is very livable.

I've always thought Lowe was a great hockey mind and well suited to the GM position, but I HATED a lot of his earlier dealings. I'm glad he's starting to get this together.

He's sure kept me on the edge of my seat this summer...

First I'm left to wonder WTF when he deals Jussi & a pick for Leetch, just to get a higher compensatory pick... then we find out that Jussi needed to be qualified at a much higher salary.

Then he criticizes Smyth in the press, questioning his demands... then turns around and signs him with a great base salary.

Then he gets Smith signed with no raise after getting torched last year, and convinces Reasoner and Torres to take reduced pay in exchange for longer deals.

Then he finally dumps Cleary & Swanson.

Then he qualifies and signs Moreau at $1.6M - but then turns around and lowers it to a 1.3M avg. (a savings of $1.2M over four years).

It seems just when I'm ready to lambaste him, he turns around and makes things right (I'm talking about this summer only).

Now we're in a situation where we desperately need a top-2 centre and a top-3 dman, and Comrie is a holdout with the reg. season just days away. I'm ready to start criticizing again - so does that mean a blockbuster, one-sided deal (in favour of the Oil) is imminent?!

Old
09-30-2003, 03:01 PM
Hairball

I am impressed. I have been a fan of Moreau's for a while. I didn't realize what he had signed for. I am very happy with this situation and am going to be choosing my next jersey accordingly. I would have bought it before had I thought he was going to stay around. Now that I know...

I have always thought that what he brings to the games more than makes up for his shortcomings. He was so excited when Hemsky scored last year and it was very fitting that he assisted on Hemsky's first. He brings it every night and has showed much class in this situation as far as I'm concerned.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:22 PM
Asiaoil

As others have mentioned - Moreau did a good job with Hemsky last year and I'm hoping that a line of Reasoner, Moreau and Rita will eventually emerge this year. Let Ethan break another one of our kids in and hopefully just as successfully.

Closed Thread