HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

MLSE has been/is looking to add Gretzky to mix

Old
12-05-2013, 11:06 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
MLSE has been/is looking to add Gretzky to mix

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438246

Dreger shares that there have been negotiations to get Gretzky on the MLSE train. Leiweke has been pushing it. Perhaps as an ambassador type position, but not having anything to do with the on ice problems; perhaps more into the business side. And not just with the Leafs.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 11:07 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
That seems like a very bad idea. Gretzky should never be allowed to come anywhere close to important hockey or business decisions ever again. Hell, just having him in the office runs the risk of contaminating hockey ops.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Interesting. I wonder what kind of a role were talking about here though. An "Ambassador" like Beliveau in Montreal, or joining Sittler who is also in a similar position with the Leafs? This would be like a marriage of brands. The Leafs & Wayne Gretzky Inc. I guess theres some interesting possibilities on that front. Just that on the surface, with so little to go on in that report hard to figure out just what they might be thinking or for that matter what Gretzkys' interests might be in looking ahead. A return to Coaching perhaps. Anythings possible I guess. Ideally, Id like to see him hired by the NHL itself in some capacity.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 03:08 PM
aqib

The Leafs don't really need marketing help so what do they need him for. He didn't demonstrate and coaching acumen. You can say he did a good job as GM of Team Canada in 02 and 04 but it's hard to screw up that job

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
The Leafs don't really need marketing help so what do they need him for. He didn't demonstrate and coaching acumen. You can say he did a good job as GM of Team Canada in 02 and 04 but it's hard to screw up that job
Ya it seems redundant, hiring Gretzky as an Ambassador or Spokesperson for the Leafs.Raptors/TFC & Marlies. I dont really get it. Now maybe if LA hired him, and a team he'd played for then Ok. Good fit there in LA.... Restaurant in Toronto bearing his name, once owned part of the Argo's but still....

Old
12-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Confucius

Just chucking more money away, we have no need for him now. Lol

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
Just chucking more money away, we have no need for him now. Lol
No it doesnt make much sense unless maybe MLSE is planning to build a condo tower & mini shopping area or whatever called Gretzkyville. And why would they need to do that, cut him in on the action? Leafs are a stronger draw than Wayne Gretzky and totally permanent. Dunno. This Lieweke guy, some.... unusual?... ideas.

Old
12-05-2013, 05:11 PM
thom

Never understood Why Bobby Orr has never been part of nhl club in form of management.Bobby has been part of players agent business for years but despite that no position in nhl club.He is 65 yrs old so I guess that opportunity is small

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
No it doesnt make much sense unless maybe MLSE is planning to build a condo tower & mini shopping area or whatever called Gretzkyville. And why would they need to do that, cut him in on the action? Leafs are a stronger draw than Wayne Gretzky and totally permanent. Dunno. This Lieweke guy, some.... unusual?... ideas.
I read somewhere that he is currently traipsing across Europe trying to sign at least one player for TFC. Sorry for going off topic but if true how sad is that? He held off the renewal date for season tickets for TFC until he could show how the team is going to be better next year. We are now into December, the season opens in March and MLSE hasn't requested renewals yet. What are they afraid of?

Old
12-05-2013, 08:34 PM
GuelphStormer

wouldnt surprise me at all that TGO is welcomed into the MLSE family. while many are more than aware of his failings in phoenix, most folks in TO just think of him as probably the best hockey player ever. a genuine legend. a canadian hero. and he was born just down the road in brantford and his dad is very well liked here still. i can easily see MLSE banking on that calibre of brand. a homecoming of sorts? could be very cool.

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 08:50 PM
thom

Wayne family is all American living in west coast his daughter just gave up her canadian citizen.He has spent most of adult hood in Usa .Yes I respect him as a player maybe the best ever but why call him canadian all his taxes are paid in usa he is an american

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 09:07 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Wayne family is all American living in west coast his daughter just gave up her canadian citizen.He has spent most of adult hood in Usa .Yes I respect him as a player maybe the best ever but why call him canadian all his taxes are paid in usa he is an american
Paulina Gretzky has made statements to the effect that she knows where her father is from, but she considers herself American. However, I can find no source to support the claim that she has formally renounced Canadian citizenship.

EDIT: Actually, looking closer, I see you said that she gave up her Canadian "citizen", so maybe you were referring to her freeing some guy from Moose Jaw that she was holding in her basement.

Last edited by rojac: 12-05-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: humour
rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Lilou
t-.-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
wouldnt surprise me at all that TGO is welcomed into the MLSE family. while many are more than aware of his failings in phoenix, most folks in TO just think of him as probably the best hockey player ever. a genuine legend. a canadian hero. and he was born just down the road in brantford and his dad is very well liked here still. i can easily see MLSE banking on that calibre of brand. a homecoming of sorts? could be very cool.
Yup! And weren't wayne and his father leaf fans growing up? I don't care what the position is, bring him into the organization.

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 12:54 PM
htpwn

Quote:
I read somewhere that he is currently traipsing across Europe trying to sign at least one player for TFC. Sorry for going off topic but if true how sad is that? He held off the renewal date for season tickets for TFC until he could show how the team is going to be better next year. We are now into December, the season opens in March and MLSE hasn't requested renewals yet. What are they afraid of?
Wasn't TFC on the verge of making two major signings in the past week? Dafoe and Galiardi, or something to that effect.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post
That seems like a very bad idea. Gretzky should never be allowed to come anywhere close to important hockey or business decisions ever again. Hell, just having him in the office runs the risk of contaminating hockey ops.
2 things..

1 how dare you speak ill of Gretz

2 its the Leafs how much worse can it get

Ryan34222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 02:55 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

adding gretzky to this organization would be great. we should only have elite people representing this franchise. I don't care if we are paying him just to sit in an office all day and play sudoku, its worth it.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 03:44 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
adding gretzky to this organization would be great. we should only have elite people representing this franchise. I don't care if we are paying him just to sit in an office all day and play sudoku, its worth it.
what a stupid thing to say, but I wholeheartedly agree.

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Ernie

As a Canucks fan, I'm supportive of any distractions that keep the Leafs from actually icing a competitive team.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
what a stupid thing to say, but I wholeheartedly agree.
I dont think its a "stupid thing to say" but I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that theres any need to employ his services. Ya, he's "one of" the Greatest Players of All Time, and ya, he's from Brantford but so what? He never played for the Leafs. In fact he single handedly extinguished one of our best hopes in the past 47+ years in taking out Dougie Gilmour & the boys 20 years ago. I dont know what role he'd play, but if its marketing & Ambassadorship, branding or whatever Toronto doesnt need it nor him. They require something like that, hire Sundin, Gilmour. Theyve already got Sittler & others in there. Clearly Lieweke hasnt yet grasped the full import & depth of history & character that comprises the Toronto Maples Leafs and what they mean to the city & its fans. This is like some sort of Steve Ellman/Jerry Moyes Production. Wayne Gretzky behind the bench will fill the building. Wayne Gretzky at a Toronto Marlies, Raptors or TFC game; pack the joint out. You kidding me? Now, if you bring in Red Kelly, Shack, Armstrong, Bower, Sittler & MacDonald, Palmateer, Wregget, Vaive, Gilmour, Potvin & on & on then ya, you'll get a crowd. But Gretzky isnt one of ours. He left Kansas long time ago. Perfect in LA or Edmonton, and I suspect Lieweke brought this plan along with him from California. Well, wake up Pal. Your in Canaduh. Ontario Ontario not Ontario CA. Whats with this guy? Wants to remove all the photos of former Leafs at the ACC as well and do what? Put up pictures of Gretzky, Luc Robitaille & Rogie Vachon etc? Pretend he's still in LA?

Old
12-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Confucius

Quote:
I dont think its a "stupid thing to say" but I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that theres any need to employ his services. Ya, he's "one of" the Greatest Players of All Time, and ya, he's from Brantford but so what? He never played for the Leafs. In fact he single handedly extinguished one of our best hopes in the past 47+ years in taking out Dougie Gilmour & the boys 20 years ago. I dont know what role he'd play, but if its marketing & Ambassadorship, branding or whatever Toronto doesnt need it nor him. They require something like that, hire Sundin, Gilmour. Theyve already got Sittler & others in there. Clearly Lieweke hasnt yet grasped the full import & depth of history & character that comprises the Toronto Maples Leafs and what they mean to the city & its fans. This is like some sort of Steve Ellman/Jerry Moyes Production. Wayne Gretzky behind the bench will fill the building. Wayne Gretzky at a Toronto Marlies, Raptors or TFC game; pack the joint out. You kidding me? Now, if you bring in Red Kelly, Shack, Armstrong, Bower, Sittler & MacDonald, Palmateer, Wregget, Vaive, Gilmour, Potvin & on & on then ya, you'll get a crowd. But Gretzky isnt one of ours. He left Kansas long time ago. Perfect in LA or Edmonton, and I suspect Lieweke brought this plan along with him from California. Well, wake up Pal. Your in Canaduh. Ontario Ontario not Ontario CA. Whats with this guy? Wants to remove all the photos of former Leafs at the ACC as well and do what? Put up pictures of Gretzky, Luc Robitaille & Rogie Vachon etc? Pretend he's still in LA?
Exactly. The only place Gretzky would increase traffic is his own restaurant DT. Lieweke must think he's still in L A. Toronto doesn't need him and it's not up to us to pad his wallet. Keep him in L A for goodness sake. Or better yet Edmonton.

Old
12-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Exactly. The only place Gretzky would increase traffic is his own restaurant DT. Lieweke must think he's still in L A. Toronto doesn't need him and it's not up to us to pad his wallet. Keep him in L A for goodness sake. Or better yet Edmonton.
Honestly. Whats next CofS? Potted palm & orange tree's lining the concourses followed by the opening of a Wayne Gretzky / Giorgio Beverly Hills Boutique down at the ACC? And whats with the Bon Jovi banner etc? This isnt New Jersey where Jonny boys from. Who cares? Its first & foremost the home of the Leafs and secondly a place where the clubs history & its players should be honored. I dont wanna look up at the rafters, see "Bon Jovi" and then get one of their dreadful songs stuck in my head for the rest of the night. "Shot Down in a Blaze of Glory". Ya. Gee. Thanks for that... Theres no need to be "honoring" bands & entertainers. Its a sports facility & sure a live entertainment venue but it isnt the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame or whatever. Huh? Conn Smythe must be spinning in his grave, Ballard laughing hysterically.

Old
12-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Honestly. Whats next CofS? Potted palm & orange tree's lining the concourses followed by the opening of a Wayne Gretzky / Giorgio Beverly Hills Boutique down at the ACC? And whats with the Bon Jovi banner etc? This isnt New Jersey where Jonny boys from. Who cares? Its first & foremost the home of the Leafs and secondly a place where the clubs history & its players should be honored. I dont wanna look up at the rafters, see "Bon Jovi" and then get one of their dreadful songs stuck in my head for the rest of the night. "Shot Down in a Blaze of Glory". Ya. Gee. Thanks for that... Theres no need to be "honoring" bands & entertainers. Its a sports facility & sure a live entertainment venue but it isnt the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame or whatever. Huh? Conn Smythe must be spinning in his grave, Ballard laughing hysterically.
Everyone would be laughing at T L, I guess he missed this bit of wit from the great one. It's just a hoot at the 53 second mark

Just doesn't look good on the old resume.

Old
12-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Charming. I can see that video in constant loop if he does get hired.

Old
12-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Tinalera

*Insert "he won't sell any more tickets" comment here*

I'm guessing they feel he would be a commodity when it comes to attracting talent? Maybe has a good eye for talent?

Forgive my cynicism but I just see this as an MLSE PR ploy-don't know what they feel Gretz could bring to the table in management.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 08:02 PM
MarkGio

Maybe there is something bigger at play. Perhaps MSLE is trying to secure another franchise and have Gretzky involved. Otherwise it makes little sense to bring Gretzky on board as a way to market the Leafs.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote