HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you bring back Gionta at a reduced cap-hit?

View Poll Results: Would you like Capitaine Gio back?
Yes 80 39.60%
No 122 60.40%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Feintastic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Desharnais 5"6
Gallagher 5"8
Briere 5"9
Gionta 5'7

do you know what they all have in common outside being under 5"9? they are all in our top 6 forwards group. and it has to stop.

i appreciate all giontas done for us the past 5 years and everything, but its time to move ON, i dont want to get into a whole size argument with anyone, but there was an instance last night where dougie hamilton gave someone the business in front of the net, and gionta came up to him to "defend" him and let me tell you, ..dougie did everything he could possibly do not to laugh in his face , im sure he was intimidated as ****

thanks for the effort brian, but we need someone at that position with at LEAST some kind of size and who can pot 20 goals and there not THAT hard to find

we cant have a team where most of the smallest players in NHL make up our top lines, we just cant do it anymore, and if you tell me "well look at our record with the "small" guys we have" , well imagine how ****ing better it would be if they didnt get knocked around 60% of the time

size.does.matter.
That's it that's all !

And people totally forget that Gionta is looking for a new contract also...u know he's getting older...last year of his contract... know mean ? He's a good guy, I think he's not a bad captain at all but WE ALL KNOW if we keep signing these midgets nothing will change. If you're satisfied cool, I AM NOT. That winning streak is just an illusion, cause yeah they're a good season team but also a mediocre playoff team they're not built for that. It's time to move on god dam, it's time for Bergevin to wake up n make some changes cause since he is here he did nothing at all beside Brandon Prust, its the same ol' club.

When you talk about the Dougie Hamilton thing I was so mad...its just ridiculous that ''The Captain of The Montreal Canadiens'' cant do nothing against a 20 years old kid... That's unacceptable imo. Thats just.... come on...it has to change !

Feintastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 50
Gionta will be back at 5m, deal with it haters

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussCourtnallsGhost View Post
At a very reasonable contract, definitely. He could be a great 3rd line winger in his twilight years. I doubt he'll stay though, he'll go somewhere for more cash and better term.
Gionta wouldn't stay if he could make more in New Jersey, for example. Let him loose. The Habs could use the money for part payment on Subban's next contract as well as for raises to others.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Stoneburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
I'm not a hater, but I would hate that price.

I really doubt teams would line-up for him at anywhere close to that price. Even Lou L. said good luck and God bless at 5m.

Stoneburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 10:53 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
/thread
Absolutely. Nothing against Gionta, but there's an obvious flaw with how our lineup is built, and he's the easy one out.

Might have voted yes had Desharnais not being french and signed for 4 years, but he's here to stay, so Gionta has to go if we want to win something.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
At 5m he can go somewhere else. I'm okay bringing him back and having him in a defensive role but there's no way he's a 5m dollar player.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 01:47 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
At 5m he can go somewhere else. I'm okay bringing him back and having him in a defensive role but there's no way he's a 5m dollar player.
Whether we bring Gio back or not, he won't get more than about $3.0-3.5M anywhere. And I'm ok with that price.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 01:56 AM
CH25
PK SUBBAN = HAB4LIFE

Think about it guys MB signed Dany Briere. Do you really think he will not resign Gionta ? Unless Gionta wants out.

CH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 04:30 AM
KoZed

Guys, Gio will never score 20 goals ever again. His two biceps injuries killed his shot. And Gio doesn't go to the net for those garbage goals anymore. He was never a good puckhandler/playmaker to begin with, so there's no offense left in him.

Watching him try to keep up with Plekanec and Galchenyuk was painful last night. He can't pass, can't receive passes, can't shoot. His hands are so stiff now, he handles the puck like it's a grenade.

Plus his defensive work is handicapped by his loss of speed and short reach. Too many times he can't get to loose pucks, can't poke check or can't separate opponents from the puck because he's too slow, short and old.

Gio is 35 and declining rapidly. It'll only be worst as the season advances. Not much left in the tank there. Enjoy whatever he can give you this year and let him walk away in the summer.

KoZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 04:49 AM
Spearmint Rhino

He's been an underachiever since we signed him - not a bad player and always competes - but never worth $5MM/year and he's obviously suffering from the bicep injuries which has affected the velocity and accuracy of his shot

He's still reliable defensively and good for 40 points but the Line Tetris that MT has to play with the other small guys is not really worth it

Last edited by Spearmint Rhino: 12-08-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Spearmint Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 04:59 AM
Runner77

vCash: 15200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
Absolutely. Nothing against Gionta, but there's an obvious flaw with how our lineup is built, and he's the easy one out.
With DD locked for 4-years and Briere on a 2-year deal, Gionta is definitely the path of least resistance.

Last edited by Runner77: 12-08-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Runner77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 05:08 AM
Runner77

vCash: 15200
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Who can argue with such an air tight argument?
Where's the rest of the quote that I was signifying my consent to, in the short reply I gave?

Almost everyone is in agreement that we need to move away from the current business model of rostering too many small forwards.

However, if people can't even agree to let go a 35-year old with diminishing skills and who is a UFA at the end of the year, then how else are we going to take concrete steps to move in a different direction.

Last edited by Runner77: 12-08-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Runner77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 07:36 AM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Nope.

Bye Gionta.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 12:24 PM
GalchenyukSting*

Strip him of the C

GalchenyukSting* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:05 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

I like Gionta, but it's time to get bigger and for that reason alone, I don't want him back.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:44 AM
googlymoogly

The amount of Gionta's scoring and defensive play is going to be replaced by Bournival. Next year we should have another young forward progress to the NHL. Leblanc should be able to make the jump.

I'd rather concentrate on Markov coming back and even possibly giving Murray another two years but I think he is a one year stop gap even though as a 6th Dman he brings a lot of intangibles.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Lafleurs Guy

I like the idea of moving on and getting bigger. I feel like we need to do this at some point. Problem is that if we're going to replace the smaller guys Gionta's down on my list. So if we're going to replace ALL of them, sure. But that's not easy to do.

DD should go and Briere never should've been added. I'd get rid of them before Gio. And as other posters have said in this thread the guy does play good D and he is actually producing so the more I think about it the more I'm changing my mind on this one. Still feel like we have to get bigger up front but maybe getting rid of Gionta isn't such a great idea. I'm on the fence on this.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Edgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalchenyukSting View Post
Strip him of the C
As long as we're saying things completely irrelevant that make no sense without having to explain:

Kick him in the shin. Tar and feather him

Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 08:43 AM
LePoche69

I would bring back Gionta for 2 to 3 years at a reasonnable price ONLY IF Habs get rid of at least 2 other midgets up front.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZed View Post
Guys, Gio will never score 20 goals ever again. His two biceps injuries killed his shot. And Gio doesn't go to the net for those garbage goals anymore. He was never a good puckhandler/playmaker to begin with, so there's no offense left in him.

Watching him try to keep up with Plekanec and Galchenyuk was painful last night. He can't pass, can't receive passes, can't shoot. His hands are so stiff now, he handles the puck like it's a grenade.

Plus his defensive work is handicapped by his loss of speed and short reach. Too many times he can't get to loose pucks, can't poke check or can't separate opponents from the puck because he's too slow, short and old.

Gio is 35 and declining rapidly. It'll only be worst as the season advances. Not much left in the tank there. Enjoy whatever he can give you this year and let him walk away in the summer.
This is a great summary of today's Gionta. It leaves out the things that are still good about him, of course, and I think that despite all of these drawbacks he can still play in the NHL and be a decent 2nd/3rd line player for the right team in the right situation. Just not for our team in our situation. And not for more than $2.5M or so per season.

I like Gionta and appreciate what he has done for us during this contract... I have to admit I was not sold when the signing was first announced... but I think we do have to let him walk this summer.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:08 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
I like the idea of moving on and getting bigger. I feel like we need to do this at some point. Problem is that if we're going to replace the smaller guys Gionta's down on my list. So if we're going to replace ALL of them, sure. But that's not easy to do.

DD should go and Briere never should've been added. I'd get rid of them before Gio. And as other posters have said in this thread the guy does play good D and he is actually producing so the more I think about it the more I'm changing my mind on this one. Still feel like we have to get bigger up front but maybe getting rid of Gionta isn't such a great idea. I'm on the fence on this.
If we were rebuilding, then Gionta would be let go.

If we are trying for championships, or at least deep playoff runs, a guy like Gionta is needed, or we will just end up renting someone of his ilk to replace him.

Since most of us are on the fence about whether we should be going for it for the next 2 years or so, we are also on the fence about the captain.

Another month or so should tell us if this team has a chance to go deep in the playoffs.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 09:47 PM
lamp9post

Quote:

I agree with this. I really don't see Gionta as a problem on this team, in fact I think he's quite valuable if not worth $5M. However, if we're looking to get bigger up front he's the obvious candidate. I really wish Gionta and Briere had each other's contracts. Really wouldn't mind seeing Briere gone and Gionta have an extra year @$4M.

That said, given that Briere's buyout is only $0.333M, if I were Bergevin I'd consider buying out Briere and re-sign Gionta to a short term contract worth $3.66M.

I'm really on the fence with this as well. Not sure we really have the guys in the system to come in next year and replace Gionta. So unless the upgrade is coming in the form of a trade or FA signing, I'd try to keep him around.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Dekar

I'd thank him for his services and let him go.

As much as it may be difficult to replace his defensive responsibility, we do need to reduce the amount of tiny bodies in our top 9, and as good as each of our little guys are, we can't hang with the top teams if we're struggling to win puck battles before of how easy we get pushed around.

Desharnais is making a case to stay if he can keep up his play of late and show that his slump is truly over, and Gallagher is a no brainer, but that's really as much as we can afford to keep if we're to truly contend, I say. Unfortunately, Briere is on a contract that we can only eject after next season, so there's no sense is willing him off the team too.

Gionta's production is nothing we can't replace either. In his first two seasons, he was approximately a 30-goal scorer (28 and 29, respectively), then he became a 20-goal scorer for the next two seasons (21 and 23 goal paces), and over 1/3 of the way through this season, he's on pace for 13. His offensive production is clearly on the decline. Now while you can argue that he's playing a lot more defensive responsibilities which will affect that, the fact remains that he's not going to be put back into an offensive role regardless. I suppose you could say though to bring him back at a much lower salary and play him as a 3rd line winger, but I feel those spots should be reserved for players on their way up instead of down.

My only concern is that one of next few graduates might be Thomas, which will solve absolutely nothing if he puts up worthwhile numbers and sticks with the team. Did we really have to trade Kristo?

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:06 PM
lamp9post

I really don't see any of the guys we have in our system mentioned in this thread as possible replacements (Holland, Thomas, Leblanc) being as good as Gionta next year. Nor do they add anything in they way of physicality, though they are all a little bigger than Gionta.

I really don't think we can just discard him because we need to get bigger up front. Sure, that's true, but unless there is a clear replacement I wouldn't mind bringing him back if the alternative is to plug in an unproven rookie. Let a young guy take Briere's spot and buyout Briere. If there is no way to upgrade on Gionta, keep him.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:09 PM
BigDaddyLurch
#Habs-R-FUBAR

It's time to give Captaine Gio the gold watch, shake hands, and let him walk off into the sunset...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote