HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton/Buffalo

Old
12-07-2013, 09:15 AM
tsujimoto74

vCash: 500
Edmonton/Buffalo

Posted this idea in the Eberle thread and got positive feedback from a couple Oil fans. Curious to see how more of their fanbase responds to it, as well as what my fellow Sabres fans think.

To EDM:
Marcus Foligno
Mark Pysyk

To BUF:
Jordan Eberle

Edmonton adds a young middle 6 power winger who could blossom into a top sixer with the talented forwards Edmonton already has. He's currently 2nd on the Sabres team in hits (behind only Ott) and also 2nd in points per 60mins at even strength, even though his raw offensive totals this year aren't overwhelming. They also add an Oil King alum on defense who projects as a very solid shutdown D who can efficiently move the puck, either with his skating or his passing. Buffalo moves some of the depth of young defensive talent they have to fast-track its offensive rebuild by adding a skilled young winger who knows how to finish plays.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 09:30 AM
gallagt01

As a Buffalo fan, I'd have a hard time saying no, that's for sure.

The Sabres have built a nice stable of bottom-six forwards but lack high-end, top-line talent. I'm not a big fan of Eberle, but this is a trade they'd have to pull the trigger on based on organization need alone.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 09:32 AM
DickSmehlik

I am guessing the Oilers could get a lot more for Eberle than a potential 2nd liner who is playing like a 3rd-4th liner now and a 2-4 dman.

DickSmehlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Roof Daddy

I was one of those Oiler fans saying yes, and stand by it. I understand the importance Eberle holds to our fan base, but we don't have a Foligno type in the system, or on our roster. It just seems like a deal that would benefit both teams in filling a need.

Eberle worked really well with Hodgson in the WJC years ago. Could elevate each other's play. If Foligno can be a 20 goal, 40pt PF I'm happy.

Top 6 going forward

Hall-Nuge-Yak
Foligno-Gagner-Perron

Not bad, better if we find an upgrade for Gagner.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 09:52 AM
jc17

vCash: 250
As a sabres fan I think it would be a tough one to stomach, but it might ultimately be worth it. Pysyk and Foligno are good at what they do, but we need scoring forwards.

As much as I like Pysyk, giving him up wouldn't ruin our defense as we still have: Myers, Erhoff, Risto, Zadorov, McNabb, and McCabe in our system.

This is probably a good deal as both teams don't particularly want to do it initially but know that it addresses a need.

jc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd rather stay the course and see what we obtain for high end talent in next two drafts. Foligno offers too much in what we've been lacking for years... Eberle is a younger Vanek/Pominville

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 10:20 AM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Posted this idea in the Eberle thread and got positive feedback from a couple Oil fans. Curious to see how more of their fanbase responds to it, as well as what my fellow Sabres fans think.

To EDM:
Marcus Foligno
Mark Pysyk

To BUF:
Jordan Eberle

Edmonton adds a young middle 6 power winger who could blossom into a top sixer with the talented forwards Edmonton already has. He's currently 2nd on the Sabres team in hits (behind only Ott) and also 2nd in points per 60mins at even strength, even though his raw offensive totals this year aren't overwhelming. They also add an Oil King alum on defense who projects as a very solid shutdown D who can efficiently move the puck, either with his skating or his passing. Buffalo moves some of the depth of young defensive talent they have to fast-track its offensive rebuild by adding a skilled young winger who knows how to finish plays.
Yeah I'd do that deal. Pretty decent offer for both teams. Gives the sabres the top line winger they desperately need and gives Edmontom the future top 6 power forward they don't have in their system as well as a very solid young defenseman in Pysyk.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 10:47 AM
jc17

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
I'd rather stay the course and see what we obtain for high end talent in next two drafts. Foligno offers too much in what we've been lacking for years... Eberle is a younger Vanek/Pominville
I feel like its harder to find an Eberle than a Foligno type of player. Also are the Sabres in a position to turn down a younger Vanek/Pominville? We have both types of players in our prospect group, but I think getting a guaranteed scorer is what we need.

jc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc17 View Post
I feel like its harder to find an Eberle than a Foligno type of player. Also are the Sabres in a position to turn down a younger Vanek/Pominville? We have both types of players in our prospect group, but I think getting a guaranteed scorer is what we need.
Which is exactly what the next two drafts will be for.

Old
12-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Blitz
Reinhart & Soul

I think I grudgingly do this deal. Eberle is exactly the type of winger that compliments Hodgson's skill-sets. I would hate to let Foligno and/or Pysyk out of Buffalo as they are both a huge part of the plan, but I think it would benefit both teams mutually.

Buffalo still has Ott to be a smashmouth guy (it would then be imperative to re-up him ASAP), and Girgs, Adam and Kea as big bodys. Pysyk might actually be the harder guy to replace, but the young blueliners coming up give us a real chance to do so.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I think I grudgingly do this deal. Eberle is exactly the type of winger that compliments Hodgson's skill-sets. I would hate to let Foligno and/or Pysyk out of Buffalo as they are both a huge part of the plan, but I think it would benefit both teams mutually.

Buffalo still has Ott to be a smashmouth guy (it would then be imperative to re-up him ASAP), and Girgs, Adam and Kea as big bodys. Pysyk might actually be the harder guy to replace, but the young blueliners coming up give us a real chance to do so.
Adam big body?

He plays smaller than Tyler Ennis.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:15 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

I haven't seen Pysyk play really, how has been doing? Is he a top 4 d-man?

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Jesse Joensuu

vCash: 450
WHY WOULD EDMONTON DO THIS? If Eberle ever got moved, which is very unlikely, he would be moved for either a top pairing defenceman or a top 6 forward like Simmonds +..

Jesse Joensuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 12:18 PM
ManofSteel55

Absolutely not. Jesus that's bad. Myers+ for Eberle, that's the price. I might do Yakupov for Foligno and Pysyk, but the value there is pretty questionable too.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 12:18 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post

Any time your team bends another team over, you should be willing to do it.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Absolutely not. These are two un proven players for a 23 year old star forward..

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

And there we have it.

No deal.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:24 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I was one of those Oiler fans saying yes, and stand by it. I understand the importance Eberle holds to our fan base, but we don't have a Foligno type in the system, or on our roster. It just seems like a deal that would benefit both teams in filling a need.

Eberle worked really well with Hodgson in the WJC years ago. Could elevate each other's play. If Foligno can be a 20 goal, 40pt PF I'm happy.

Top 6 going forward

Hall-Nuge-Yak
Foligno-Gagner-Perron

Not bad, better if we find an upgrade for Gagner.
We don't have a Foligno on the roster, but we sure do have them in the system, we've been drafting loads of them in recent years. Mitch Moroz (yeah, people thinks he sucks because we drafted another Oil King, but he's good), Jujhar Khaira, and to a lesser extent Tyler Pitlick, are all comparables, albeit not ready right away. You don't move Eberle for a 3rd line heavy-hitter who might develop good offense someday to become a 2nd liner.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:49 PM
BarDownBobo

Grigorenko and Pysyk would be closer in terms of value IMO. Plus Oil management likes Grig back to the days around his draft, where they at least considered taking him first.

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 12:52 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
Absolutely not. Jesus that's bad. Myers+ for Eberle, that's the price. I might do Yakupov for Foligno and Pysyk, but the value there is pretty questionable too.
Good luck with that.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:54 PM
VanillaCoke

Not a bad deal for both teams.
But, I'd think edm could get a little better offer than that for Eberle if he was being shopped for real.

VanillaCoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 12:58 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Grigorenko and Pysyk would be closer in terms of value IMO. Plus Oil management likes Grig back to the days around his draft, where they at least considered taking him first.
Buffalo ruined Grigs by bringing him up to the bigs too quick, hopefully Lafontaine can fix that problem

I agree you don't trade a legit top LW for prospects and a 3rd line player. Eberle .80 point per game player at 23 and signed for 6mil a year for the next 6 yrs, you don't trade him for help on the 3rd line and a dman prospect. Myers is unproven.
KEEP EBERLE.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 01:06 PM
ZEMGUS

A lot of people aren't realizing that pysyk isn't just some prospect. He's already a solid player in the NHL at 21. He's going to be a 2nd or 3rd defenseman for a very long time.

That being said it's still a tough deal for either team to take.

ZEMGUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 01:19 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEMGUS View Post
A lot of people aren't realizing that pysyk isn't just some prospect. He's already a solid player in the NHL at 21. He's going to be a 2nd or 3rd defenseman for a very long time.

That being said it's still a tough deal for either team to take.
Yeah, I think some people are underrating/just haven't seen much of Pysyk. He's silky smooth out there. Very effective defensively already and just very calm, with and without the puck. Rarely makes mistakes.

Old
12-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
We don't have a Foligno on the roster, but we sure do have them in the system, we've been drafting loads of them in recent years. Mitch Moroz (yeah, people thinks he sucks because we drafted another Oil King, but he's good), Jujhar Khaira, and to a lesser extent Tyler Pitlick, are all comparables, albeit not ready right away. You don't move Eberle for a 3rd line heavy-hitter who might develop good offense someday to become a 2nd liner.
Moroz might be a 4th liner if we're lucky. Same with Khaira. Foligno could play in our top 6 because he'd be bringing an element that doesn't exist there. If Moroz develops into an NHL regular then it's icing on the cake. We are butter soft, have been for the last 7 years, and we've seen what a winning recipe that is.

If Foligno puts up 40-50 pts consistently while Eberle puts up 65-75 consistently then I'm happy for both teams. There are players currently on our roster that can replace Eberle's role. There is no one on our roster doing the things Foligno does.

I'm also very much in favour of breaking up the Hall and Ebs bromance that seems to be creating a click in the dressing room that Ference talked about. Sometimes it sounds like Hall's more worried about Ebs being his wing man at the bar vs his wing man on the ice.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote