HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

RDS: Rangers will not buy out Jagr

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2005, 10:11 AM
AH

vCash: 500
RDS: Rangers will not buy out Jagr

It's on their front page ...

Any other sources?

Old
07-28-2005, 10:18 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH

Any other sources?
yep, sportsnet:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...727_173519_724

Through team spokesman John Rosasco, Glen Sather said, "Jaromir is under contract and we fully expect him to be in New York playing for the Rangers this year".

Old
07-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCaptain11
yep, sportsnet:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...727_173519_724

Through team spokesman John Rosasco, Glen Sather said, "Jaromir is under contract and we fully expect him to be in New York playing for the Rangers this year".
Isn't this like the biggest slam dunk ever? Where else are you going to get a player of Jagr's abilities for $4M of cap space? Not sure if he has a NTC, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Ranger consider moving him at the deadline. With his reasonable cap price, I would think he'd be in HUGE demand from a contender.

Old
07-28-2005, 10:28 AM
BobMckenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
Isn't this like the biggest slam dunk ever? Where else are you going to get a player of Jagr's abilities for $4M of cap space? Not sure if he has a NTC, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Ranger consider moving him at the deadline. With his reasonable cap price, I would think he'd be in HUGE demand from a contender.
Give that man a cigar. Thankfully, Beukeboom Fan made the point for me and all other sane people. Why on earth would anybody expect the Rangers to buy out Jagr when half his salary, and half of the cap value, are being paid by the Capitals. In the cap world, Jagr is a huge bargain, especially if he shows up ready to play, which admittedly is never a certainty. I never thought for a moment the Rangers would ever think of buying him out so when I saw the headlines about Sather saying they wouldn't be buying him out, my first reaction was, huh? I'm sure the Capitals would have loved a compliance buyout because it would have freed up room for them, but unless I'm missing something, Jagr being bought out was never a viable option. If someone can explain to me why it would have been, I'm all ears.

Old
07-28-2005, 10:30 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
well there was that insane rumor out that he would get bought out so he could go to the penguins. but yeah this was never in doubt. and no he doesn't have a no-trade clause so he could fetch a great price if another team was desparate to get him.

Old
07-28-2005, 10:54 AM
Levitate

problem is he'd probably complain like nothing else about getting traded. it basically sounds like he's saying "i want to play in NY or Omsk and that's it"

could cause problems if the Rangers tried to trade him

Old
07-28-2005, 10:56 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH

Any other sources?
That was quite obvious.

Old
07-28-2005, 01:14 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMckenzie
In the cap world, Jagr is a huge bargain, especially if he shows up ready to play, which admittedly is never a certainty.
That seems to be the problem at this time. For some reason Jagr feels he can make up his mind in three weeks and has a choice here while the Ranger people claim othewise. If he does decides Russia is for him after the buyout peirod ends to force this player back to North America may present a problem that does not make him a bargain for anyone. It's clear he will make less money in North America and especially with the taxes in the NY market.

Also if he is allowed to play in Russian should his salary should count against the Rangers cap even if he does not play there after the deadline?

Bob, I have read several articles that Jagr's salary does not count against Washington's salary cap.

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20...0426-5807r.htm

For instance, the $3.4 million portion of Jaromir Jagr's $7.8 million salary the Caps are paying in the deal they worked out with the New York Rangers last season doesn't count against Washington's cap because it wasn't something the Caps did deliberately in an attempt to stay under the cap. The situation might be different if that deal were worked out today.

Old
07-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Levitate

I could be wrong but I think that there's the chance that if Jagr went and played in Russia anyways, the Rangers could just get his contract voided or something...there's no way he should be able to skip out on his contract to play in russia without the rangers permission, and they're not gonna give it. if something like that happened, i imagine there are legal implications since he *does* have a contract with the rangers.

Old
07-28-2005, 02:09 PM
santiclaws

I thought that under IIHF rules he can't play in Russia while under contract to an NHL team? I remember there was a situation like that with either Yashin or some other player and he could not go play in Russia while holding out.

Old
07-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
NYIsles1 - Even if that doesn't count against the Cap's cap, it doesn't count against the Rangers cap at all, either. But everywhere I've read says it counts against the Cap's cap.

Old
07-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Levitate

erm, the latest i read is that it doesn't count against either the caps or rangers, but it counts against the leaguewide 54% of revenues

Closed Thread