HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off Topic Thread XIII: Keep Pounding Panthers Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2014, 01:05 PM
TankStrappe
Angry Pastor Bill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by halleJOKEL View Post
but then we will steal the offer
Shhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
That's the original one I received. Like I said, first thing I did was search the company name and see if anything popped up. Finding nothing out of the ordinary (a website, good rating on the BBB, etc), I decided there was no harm in sending off the resume while asking for more information about the company and the job description.

Then about a week passed, until I got this one yesterday:

And there was an attached PDF with the job description.

And other than leaving themselves open to be sued to hell and back (asking gender and marital status), I really don't see anything too wrong with that. They appear to be a marketing company based in London with clients all over the world. The job description is basically keeping track of when and how much the clients pay.

Still, I'm leaning toward it being some kind of scam. The money and the work required in job description don't match up.
It does seem fishy to me.

I know there are some grammatical differences between British and American English, but I don't think the first email was written by a native English speaker. I know London draws people from all over the world, but it seems odd that a legitimate company would use someone who doesn't have a perfect handle on the language as the person to represent them to potential hires.

Brainstorming: Did the domain for the emails match up the company's website? Where are their IP addresses? I know some people use proxies, but it's less likely for a legitimate company. If it points to Johannesburg or some other random place, there's a hint. Are their open positions posted on their website? Is there a staff listing that you could compare the names to? Do they have offices in the US? Considering what Americans get paid relative to the rest of the world, I have a hard time believing they want Americans to work from home unless they have a physical presence here and are already familiar with the business and legal environment (the fact that they asked if you're married tells me they're not). And if they do have a physical presence, why would they rather start people off at home instead of in the office? It's a lot harder to coach new hires remotely. And why are interviews not required?

Last edited by TankStrappe: 01-16-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old
01-16-2014, 01:09 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

that is 100% a fake offer trying to solicit you to commit criminal fraud

sever, delete facebook, hit the gym

Old
01-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Eh, what the hell. This is the company website.

http://www.tlmarketingsc.com/

Seems like a lot of work for a scam.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:36 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

scam.

http://www.strategicmalta.com/fabio-...ft-disclaimer/

Old
01-16-2014, 01:38 PM
TankStrappe
Angry Pastor Bill

Scam. Looks like a smaller company that just happens to be affiliated with another one in Rome. I don't see any mention of the US other than using a .com address rather than a .co.uk.

Edit: And what halleJOKEL said.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Well, there you go then. Thanks a bunch.

Now, back to the soul-deadening task that is job hunting.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:44 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquesStrappe View Post
Scam. Looks like a smaller company that just happens to be affiliated with another one in Rome. I don't see any mention of the US other than using a .com address rather than a .co.uk.

And what halleJOKEL said.
no, not even affiliated... straight up copyright fraud and identity theft of an entire company (and its owner) to look legit

edit: what field are you in / where are you looking for jobs

Old
01-16-2014, 01:48 PM
TankStrappe
Angry Pastor Bill

Quote:
no, not even affiliated... straight up copyright fraud and identity theft of an entire company (and its owner) to look legit

Yeah, I wrote that before I saw your link. Pretty obvious once you see the real company's website. They copied the entire website and didn't change anything but the company name and contact info.

Old
01-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:

I've been looking on CareerBuilder, Craigslist, etc.

At the moment, I consider myself a freelance writer. Just looking for an outlet for a lot of ideas I've got, mostly. So I've been looking for a marketing job or something akin to that.

Old
01-16-2014, 02:07 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

took some pretty clever googling to find that, tbh

searching for the company BLB listed doesn't turn up anything suspicious, but the website he linked just seems sketch

googled the director dude's name (found it somewhere on the fake website) to see if he had been involved in any similarly shady sites in the past and came across the actual company's site and that statement regarding identity theft

^can't really help you there. don't know much about career pathways for someone in that field. if anyone is looking for a job in science, engineering, or business and is struggling to find anything, i may be able to help

Old
01-16-2014, 02:16 PM
TankStrappe
Angry Pastor Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
I've been looking on CareerBuilder, Craigslist, etc.

At the moment, I consider myself a freelance writer. Just looking for an outlet for a lot of ideas I've got, mostly. So I've been looking for a marketing job or something akin to that.
Haha, I knew it. My ex tried craigslist once and got a bunch of similarly shady offers.

Try indeed.com. They do a pretty good job aggregating postings from all over.

Old
01-16-2014, 02:37 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquesStrappe View Post
Haha, I knew it. My ex tried craigslist once and got a bunch of similarly shady offers.

Try indeed.com. They do a pretty good job aggregating postings from all over.
Yeah, Craigslist isn't great for the typical 9-5 jobs, but it's been pretty good about producing freelance writing results. Sites like CareerBuilder and Monster are terrible in that regard.

Old
01-16-2014, 06:50 PM
SCanedinavian

Went to see the Hawks get rinsed by the Nets in London today. Do they always play music pretty much continually at NBA games or was this a special treat for the London crowd? It was annoying as hell.

Old
01-16-2014, 06:56 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

I have made a movie for almost all of the Panthers' playoff seasons (except 1996 because I was too young to really care about watching sports) consisting of pictures from every game set to background music. Consider them to be pictorial stories. Well, I've been especially excited about this year's because this is the first Panthers movie I've made to be in HD (the previous ones were made with the old XP version of Windows Movie Maker). I'm pleased with how it turned out, and I hope some of you will take the time to watch it. I know it's quite long... but if you have the free time, it's a nice way to relive the memories of this season. I promise you'll enjoy it.

Old
01-16-2014, 08:48 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCanedinavian View Post
Went to see the Hawks get rinsed by the Nets in London today. Do they always play music pretty much continually at NBA games or was this a special treat for the London crowd? It was annoying as hell.
Pretty much at every timeout they have to do the "pump up the crowd" routine so yeah.

Speaking of NBA, I'll be at the Heat-Bobcats game Saturday night. I can't wait to have intelligent discussions with life-long Heat fans about the days of Alonzo Mourning, Tim Hardaway, Rony Seikaly, and Dan Majerle. I look forward to Heat fans telling me that they think Cody Zeller, Kemba Walker, and Bismack Biyombo among others are developing nicely into solid players while LeBron James throws down dunk after dunk.

No, in all seriousness most Heat "fans" at the game will be a bunch of no-nothings who will walk around in their newly purchased Lebron Jerseys or one of those "swag" t-shirts with skinny jeans, hipster glasses, and of course a flat-billed hat while proclaiming they "own dis place" and telling me "lol I could play for the Bobcats they suck lol".

Old
01-17-2014, 03:04 AM
SCanedinavian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
Pretty much at every timeout they have to do the "pump up the crowd" routine so yeah.
What got me was that they were playing music while play was going on as well. After one timeout we missed that they'd actually started because we were talking during the music. Probably won't be doing that again, sustaining that level of anger is exhausting.

Old
01-17-2014, 03:37 AM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Am I the only one who thinks MMA is kinda boring? When they actually fight, it is watchable, but 19 times out of 20, it degrades into spandex wearing men, most of which have comically bad tattoos, rolling around on the mat "straddling" each other. I know there is a lot of technique and skill involved, but it's boring as hell to watch.

Give me Pacquiao v. Mayweather any day.

Old
01-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Oogie Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
Am I the only one who thinks MMA is kinda boring? When they actually fight, it is watchable, but 19 times out of 20, it degrades into spandex wearing men, most of which have comically bad tattoos, rolling around on the mat "straddling" each other. I know there is a lot of technique and skill involved, but it's boring as hell to watch.

Nope.
It's boring for me as well.

Old
01-18-2014, 06:24 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post

Money vs Pac Man is about the only fight out there I'd be interested in seeing, in either.

MMA's pretty boring, but so is boxing. I find Muay Thai and Escrima to be more interesting then either MMA or Boxing, even though I know that MMA incorporates a lot of the techniques used in both.

Old
01-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Sens1Canes2

I am pretty into UFC. I agree it can be boring when they're in full guard, or whatever it's called...but the moments when one or the other or both is/are whaling on each other are pretty epic IMO.

Old
01-19-2014, 12:06 AM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Quote:

Speaking of NBA, I'll be at the Heat-Bobcats game Saturday night. I can't wait to have intelligent discussions with life-long Heat fans about the days of Alonzo Mourning, Tim Hardaway, Rony Seikaly, and Dan Majerle. I look forward to Heat fans telling me that they think Cody Zeller, Kemba Walker, and Bismack Biyombo among others are developing nicely into solid players while LeBron James throws down dunk after dunk.

No, in all seriousness most Heat "fans" at the game will be a bunch of no-nothings who will walk around in their newly purchased Lebron Jerseys or one of those "swag" t-shirts with skinny jeans, hipster glasses, and of course a flat-billed hat while proclaiming they "own dis place" and telling me "lol I could play for the Bobcats they suck lol".
So yeah, I'm too tired to go into full detail here tonight, but Miami Heat fans are easily the biggest bunch of no-nothing bandwagoners in pro (maybe even all of) sports.

Old
01-19-2014, 12:30 AM
JordanStaalBestStaal
The tank is strong..

Truculence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNxvV2jt_IA

Old
01-19-2014, 12:44 AM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
So yeah, I'm too tired to go into full detail here tonight, but Miami Heat fans are easily the biggest bunch of no-nothing bandwagoners in pro (maybe even all of) sports.
Nope. That's Patriots fans.

Old
01-19-2014, 07:31 AM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

you need look no further than all the Heat "Fans" (and I say that loosely) who left during game 6 against the Spurs, then weren't allowed back in.

So epic//funny

Old
01-19-2014, 07:49 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Nope. That's Patriots fans.
Two birds of the same feather really. Could basically flip a coin and get your answer to the question.

Closed Thread