HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread LXXIII - All News & Talk from Around the League

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Good for the league to go hard on Neal but for some reason I really wasn't upset at the targeted player .....

Old
12-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
5 games for me is not enough. NOT if you want to send a freakin strong message. Neal has a history. And CLEARLY he targets the head with one really "strong" padding. I don't care if there's an injury or not...what an idiot way of judging a gesture.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:34 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Good for the league to go hard on Neal but for some reason I really wasn't upset at the targeted player .....
You target a Bruins player, you get the max.

I am not expecting much for Thornton in the way of punishment. A slap on the wrist. Colin Campbell's hand is still strong and Shanahan knows who signs his paycheck.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
5 games for me is not enough. NOT if you want to send a freakin strong message. Neal has a history. And CLEARLY he targets the head with one really "strong" padding. I don't care if there's an injury or not...what an idiot way of judging a gesture.
I'm not really surprised, the NHL SECURITY department has never had any balls to do anything for player security.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:45 PM
jaffy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
ya it seems all of their highlights involve the habs getting scored on, i find it pretty funny.
Or getting crushed, rarely do you see it go the other way, but I find they are getting better at it

Old
Habsawce

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I'm not really surprised, the NHL SECURITY department has never had any balls to do anything for player security.
Not entirely true. Torres got a really long suspension for a hit that we've seen probably 5 times since resulting in minimal suspensions. I think the NHL is just guilty of picking it's spot and segregating players by level of skill.

The league really does need some sort of shake up that allows them to realize all players are human beings and their brains are just as valuable as the guy beside them. Punishment for dangerous and reckless plays should be consistent.

Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Probably not new but for me, it seems like they just talk the talk. Big talk on security, don't want to apply it. Frankly, 5 games for a repeat offender like Neal for such a CLEARLY intent to injure just say to Neal...you deserve the rest. And it was Marchand after all.....

Old
12-09-2013, 03:52 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
It's pretty stupid that we're still in an era where a 5 game suspension is considered "lengthy" or "severe", when we know what we do about the effects of concussions and hits to the head.

Show me some consistent 10, 15, 20, 25 game suspensions, and then I'll start to believe the NHL is getting serious about cleaning up the game, specifically headshots.

Until then, it's pretty much status quo, just with a lot more bluster and hot air.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 660
5M/82 = 61k *5=305k.

You guys are delusional if you think he wont think twice before doing stupid stuff like that again.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:58 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
It's pretty stupid that we're still in an era where a 5 game suspension is considered "lengthy" or "severe", when we know what we do about the effects of concussions and hits to the head.

Show me some consistent 10, 15, 20, 25 game suspensions, and then I'll start to believe the NHL is getting serious about cleaning up the game, specifically headshots.

Until then, it's pretty much status quo, just with a lot more bluster and hot air.
Pretty much. Good post.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:02 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
5M/82 = 61k *5=305k.

You guys are delusional if you think he wont think twice before doing stupid stuff like that again.
you're naive if you think Neal losing 6% of his annual salary will make him want to change...

I mean, what wil the poor guy do with only 4.7 Mil left...

Old
12-09-2013, 04:05 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:

bah, to me they're clearly OK with injuring each others, it's always the same...

they're happy with it, wether it's the owners or players... so meh, why wouldnt I be happy (so to speak) too whenever I see a player from a rival team injured in a play, you know...

Old
12-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you're naive if you think Neal losing 6% of his annual salary will make him want to change...

6% off an annual salary is a lot....

Old
12-09-2013, 04:10 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
4.7 Mil left, think he'll be a'right...

Old
12-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Moen is Gone
@MoeninGlory

Unfortunately suspension lengths don't depend solely on gravity, first-time/repeat offender, or game context, but the status of the agressor (role player / 'star') and who was on the receiving end are also taken into account.

I'm not sure it's just a bias towards certain teams though. For example, the best way to punish the Bruins would be to let Thornton keep his spot in the lineup (this season at least).

Old
12-09-2013, 04:19 PM
BlackStar

The NHL automatically penalizes a player with a 10 game suspension for leaving the bench to fight, why don't they establish a set amount of games one should be suspended for other suspendable actions?

This way allows for much greater consistency.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I disagree. Plenty of enforcers do their jobs without throwing some vicious cheapshots. There's a line not to cross. Thornton even himself had never thrown a nasty cheapshot like that, he was able to respect the limits.
So I disagree that if they don't act dirty they won't be around.
Orpik had been challenged to fight before and turned them down. At that point Thornton's only recourse is to do something dirty/borderline or not "enforce". And an enforcer who doesn't enforce doesn't have much time left in the league, just ask Laraque. Could he have done something "less" dirty, sure but I don't think he expected Orpik to be knocked out of the game with a concussion either.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:34 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
It is when your salary is substantially closer to the average cost of living. I'm sure he'll lament not being able to gold plate his toilet, but he'll get over it.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:38 PM
GrumpyJ
My name is Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
The NHL automatically penalizes a player with a 10 game suspension for leaving the bench to fight, why don't they establish a set amount of games one should be suspended for other suspendable actions?

This way allows for much greater consistency.
I don't know if we're thinking along the same lines here, but I've had thoughts about a system like that.

Leaving the bench is a very standard act that's not subjective. It'd be hard to give out a set suspension for a guy being knocked out, since the scenarios leading up to it play a huge role.

But, what about something categorical? Intent is part of the suspension, result is another part, maybe circumstance is another. That way, you could dissect the suspension more and just add up the categories to the total suspension. Seems like a way to make the system much more transparent and able to understand (by players, fans, executives etc.) rather than Shanahan having an explanation and just announcing a seemingly unexplained number.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

The league put a check in place for suspensions and I believe it's weighing into every decision . For suspensions greater than 5 games it becomes possible to appeal to an arbitrator if Bettman affirms the punishment . The result is a lot of 5 game suspensions and an NHLPa that's licking its chops to challenge a Shanahan decision that goes too far or harsher than some of the arbitrary decisions of the past. I don't think that consistent 15, 20, 25 game suspensions would hold up with an arbitrator and everyone involves knows it.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post

Wow.

300000$ is 300000$ .... That's a lot of dough.

Keep in mind the bigger the check that comes in, the bigger the check that goes out is.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:50 PM
GrumpyJ
My name is Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The league put a check in place for suspensions and I believe it's weighing into every decision . For suspensions greater than 5 games it becomes possible to appeal to an arbitrator if Bettman affirms the punishment . The result is a lot of 5 game suspensions and an NHLPa that's licking its chops to challenge a Shanahan decision that goes too far or harsher than some of the arbitrary decisions of the past. I don't think that consistent 15, 20, 25 game suspensions would hold up with an arbitrator and everyone involves knows it.
Good point, and that's clearly a problem. I too am ready for bigger suspensions to make a bigger impact.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:56 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Wow.

300000$ is 300000$ .... That's a lot of dough.

Keep in mind the bigger the check that comes in, the bigger the check that goes out is.
it's not about what's lost it's about what's left...

after his "fine", the guy will have 4.7 Mil in his pockets...

Old
12-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 152
There's no precedence for a player kneeing someone in the head on the way by like this. As much as it would have been nice for Shanahan to give him a 10 game suspension it would have been appealed instantly and gone arbitration where the NHL would have gotten eaten alive. The 5 games takes that option off the table and allows them to start to build precedence where next time they can increase because of fair warning.

It's just as easy as saying "omg get that out of the game, 25 games" there are legal stipulations with supplemental discipline and Don Fehr isn't the type of guy to let things like that go. Fortunate for James Neal in this case.

Old
12-09-2013, 05:07 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Exactly. Doesn't matter how much you make, you're going to feel a 6% loss.

Closed Thread