HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread LXXIII - All News & Talk from Around the League

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2013, 04:26 AM
Runner77

vCash: 1000
Shawn Thornton to ESPN on Dec. 4, 2013:

Quote:
People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable, I suppose, in some instances. I've been a firm believer my whole life that what goes around comes around. If you’re one of those guys that suckers someone when they’re down or you go after somebody that doesn’t deserve it or isn’t the same category as you, that will come back and bite you at some point, too.

Old
12-08-2013, 04:41 AM
Shaby23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
My favourite posts on the Boston board atm are all the people who just can't figure out how Orpik got knocked unconscious by a 'couple of jabs'. Lots of comments like 'people get punched in scrums all the time'. Yes, but usually they're standing up, not dragged to the ground and then having their head punched against the ice
I tried to read for like 2 mins and i couldn't do it anymore. ****ing garbage organization+stupid fans.

Old
12-08-2013, 05:06 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

The suspensions will show how gutless the NHL is. It's the same storyline and the NHL constantly drops the ball.

The Thornton thing is not too far from the Bertuzzi one, except Orpik probably gets away with only a concussion. Blatant pre-meditaded attack on an unsuspecting player from behind to boot. It should probably be 20-30 games at least but they'll give him a 6-8 game "tap on the wrist".

The Neal thing is nearly as bad, dumb, dumb, dumb play, and I'm no fan of marchand, but there is no reason on earth to knee somebody in the head...none. That should be 15 games, not accidental and not part of hockey. However the NHL will give him 2-3 games at best...moronic.

Old
12-08-2013, 07:16 AM
DAChampion

NHL is soft on crime, I predict 2 games each for Thornton and Neal.

Old
12-08-2013, 07:18 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
NHL is soft on crime, I predict 2 games each for Thornton and Neal.
Thornton has an in person hearing,he will get more than 6 games.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:00 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Thornton has an in person hearing,he will get more than 6 games.
I would hope so, but the Bruins always seem to get away with this kind of crap...

Old
12-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Hope Of Glory

You know what's ****ing annoying with Bruins fans? They take so much pride in being the biggest, toughest, most intimidating team in the NHL but as soon as **** hits the fan, they cover themselves in all kind of excuses even if it's pretty obvious that the situation has been caused by the style of play they're so proud of. If you're going to act tough, do it until the end ffs.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:27 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
The thing I don't get it is when people say:

"If orpik gets up no one talks about it."

Alright, if savard gets up no one talks about it either. What if Moore gets up? No one talks about that either. Etc...

Eriksson ended up on a team that lives and dies by this play and you gotta feel for the guy.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:32 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
You know what's ****ing annoying with Bruins fans? They take so much pride in being the biggest, toughest, most intimidating team in the NHL but as soon as **** hits the fan, they cover themselves in all kind of excuses even if it's pretty obvious that the situation has been caused by the style of play they're so proud of. If you're going to act tough, do it until the end ffs.
To be honest, the bruins style of play has probably done this to them. When teams face us it's prob "careful for their speed, avoid odd man rushes, gap control, etc..."

When teams face bruins it's probably "they play tough, finish your checks, don't get intimidated and set the tone".

Guess what orpik did? Just that!

Really though, players prob bring hitting game vs bruins and then they well get hit. It's prob less helpful to them than if they just focused on not being circus clowns in a nhl rink sized boxing ring.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:47 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

This is why you need a goon. Bruin weren't pulling this crap on us with Parros in the lineup, and we had thron some big hits s well

Old
12-08-2013, 08:53 AM
JLP
Refugee

Today is the day I cheer for the leaf.

Old
12-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Neal saying he didn't saw Marchand, he didn't knee him purposely is such ********. He's pulling the Bruins excuse. Like Chara on Pacioretty saying he had no idea where he was on the ice, same for Lucic on Miller or Ference middle finger.

Neal is a dirty player. Getting less than Five games for that is a joke. This league is a joke when handing out suspension.

Old
12-08-2013, 09:23 AM
JLP
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Neal saying he didn't saw Marchand, he didn't knee him purposely is such ********. He's pulling the Bruins excuse. Like Chara on Pacioretty saying he had no idea where he was on the ice, same for Lucic on Miller or Ference middle finger.

Neal is a dirty player. Getting less than Five games for that is a joke. This league is a joke when handing out suspension.
As you say, that excuse has worked for the broons

Old
12-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
They call that fake-tough. Which is what the Bruins are.

Old
12-08-2013, 09:27 AM
madhi19
Just the tip!

I don't approve of that kind of crap. That being said as a Habs fan I can't help but love watching the Pens and Bruins war of attrition while my team is relatively healthy.

Old
12-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
As you say, that excuse has worked for the broons

Ference when he intentionally shouldered Halpern in the playoffs. No penalty, no suspension.

Old
12-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Hannibal
Fear the Weber

Thornton made a STUPID play and he needs to pay for it... But i gotta say, if all it took for Orpik to get knocked out was this, man, retire dude, it will be dangerous for you in the futur... I mean, yes it was pretty stupid by Thornton, but there was not a solid punch even thrown....

Old
12-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Thornton made a STUPID play and he needs to pay for it... But i gotta say, if all it took for Orpik to get knocked out was this, man, retire dude, it will be dangerous for you in the futur... I mean, yes it was pretty stupid by Thornton, but there was not a solid punch even thrown....
This.

Thornton held back at least 90% of his strength. If Orpik got that ****ed up, then Thornton would be facing murder charges if he actually hit Orpik.

Old
12-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Hope Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
This is why you need a goon. Bruin weren't pulling this crap on us with Parros in the lineup, and we had thron some big hits s well
I was never in favor of getting a goon like Parros, but I got to admit that both Orr and Thornton were complete non-factor in the game against the Leafs and the Bruins (having Prust, Moen and Murray is probably helping too though). They weren't trying to bully our player constantly like they did in the past.

Old
12-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
We don't really know the circumstances here... might've hurt himself in the fall, his head might've been against the ice.... who knows?

Old
12-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Call me back when someone pounds you in the face when your head is right on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
This.

Thornton held back at least 90% of his strength. If Orpik got that ****ed up, then Thornton would be facing murder charges if he actually hit Orpik.
Ditto.

Old
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Yeah, if only Engelland was playing then this wouldn't have happpened. Oh wait, he was. Still, if only the Bruins had a goon then Neil wouldn't have kneed Marchand in the head. Oh, hang on....

Old
Gustave

I need to chime in on the Thornton ordeal; I can't believe the B's fans(not all of them) that defend the whole thing by blaming Orpik for not dropping the gloves earlier. That's sick, absolutely sick. Go read their board and you'll see what I'm referring to.

So because someone refuses to drop 'em, it's open season on him? Like Brashear when he wouldn't go with McSorley prior to the stick incident? What a farce. That culture that some B's fans drape themselves in is bat **** crazy. That org probably needs to re evaluate what they stand for. Sickening.

Old
12-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Hannibal
Fear the Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
We don't really know the circumstances here... might've hurt himself in the fall, his head might've been against the ice.... who knows?
He doesn't even hit his head on the ice during the fall...

Old
12-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
I need to chime in on the Thornton ordeal; I can't believe the B's fans(not all of them) that defend the whole thing by blaming Orpik for not dropping the gloves earlier. That's sick, absolutely sick. Go read their board and you'll see what I'm referring to.

So because someone refuses to drop 'em, it's open season on him? Like Brashear when he wouldn't go with McSorley prior to the stick incident? What a farce. That culture that some B's fans drape themselves in is bat **** crazy. That org probably needs to re evaluate what they stand for. Sickening.
Apparently on a scale of 1-10, the ferociousness of Thornton was at a 3. Delusion is the word we're looking for when it comes to this kind of crap, because a skate is enough to knock a guy out unconscious:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
This fanbase called for Paille to be suspended a couple years ago, and has constantly taken marchand to task.

We have also seen the league and refs do nothing when we've lost so many guys to questionable and dirty hits.

I saw the Orpik hit on Eriksson multiple times. Forget the fragmented GIF online. The replay looks like the principle point of contact is the head. But how about this? Who cares. It was a green-light shot ona guy that was vulnerable. A guy that is supposed to be one of your best, skilled players.

You don't have to like it or agree with it, but when you take out a top player with a big hit, the other team is going to come calling. Eriksson didn't get up and skate off. He left the game. And it was obvious he was done.

How many times can a team watch that happen over the years before enough is enough?

So what did Shawn Thornton do? The tamest thing I have ever seen someone do that resulted in this kind of outrage. You can barely call those punches. On a scale of 1-10, where 10 is a facewash and 10 is a straight out punch trying to knockout your opponent like an in-prime Tyson, that was what? A 3? If Shawn was trying to knock him out those punches would have been brutal, instead of the tame little shots they were.

I think Orpik got hurt on something else there. A knee or a skate to the head. I mean, watch when he seems to get hurt (and oh how hurt he is!) and you'll see Shawn grazing his visor. His visor.

I said this last night and I'll say it again, if you don't know the outcomes, you just see Thornton roughing up Orpik and Neal kneeing Marchand, and I said, "Which of these is worse?" you'd laugh and say that was a clown question, bro. You'd think Neal was getting 10 games and Shawn got two for roughing.

But fans, the media, and the league don't respond to intent or malice, they respond to outcomes. That is how in a playoff series a Hab one skated full speed, jumped, and threw an elbow at Matt Hunwick when the horn sounded but didn't get a game. He missed.

The lesson here is do whatever you want whenever you want, just makes sure you pick a guy with rocks in his head like Marchand and not glass like Orpik.

Oh, and have Sidney Crosby on your team and Crybaby Mario as your owner.

Closed Thread