HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread LXXIII - All News & Talk from Around the League

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Corncob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Sorry, man, but i work in medical department , and i failed to see a impact in the video where it could knock someone out cold, like Orpik was.
Is it usual practice where you work to make a diagnosis based on a one angle camera shot of what happened?

Old
12-08-2013, 10:39 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
15% better ? He was basically throwing 1 inch punches. How is he going to generate even half of his power in that ? Unless he's been practicing those 1 inch punches all his life and he's harnessed the ability to. Could be a possibility.

I wonder if Dupuis will be suspended.
It's a lot easier to generate force in a punch when you're going downwards vs upwards. Not to mention I think he gave 2 good jabs at far more than 15%. Regardless, like I said, Orpik has never been concussed in the NHL. These punches were sufficient to knock out a physical player who has no previous injury. What is just a perfect punch, the right angle or wtv? Maybe so but it really doesn't mean Orpik is soft or concussion prone.

Old
12-08-2013, 10:39 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Reading the thread on the Bruins board about the cheapshot is just... Wow. I'm sorry but Bruins fans are ****ing delusional. They are complete lunatics. Too far gone to ever be normal.

Old
12-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Hope Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Funny how Bruins fans rationalize Thornton's actions by saying Orpik's dirty play finally caught up with him but don't see why just about every player in the league would love to have been in Neal's skates yesterday.

Neal should get a lengthy suspension, but dirtiness begets dirtiness.
I haven't even thought of that. Man, that's so true. If they want to argue that what Thornton did to Orpik was fine given the latter's past antics, then Marchand totally "deserved" to get injured by Neal according to their logic. Double standard much.

Old
12-08-2013, 10:40 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Haven't seen anyone else mention that 'leaving his feet to make a hit' attempt by chara just after the erikkson hit.
No one has. It kind of swept under the rug but I noticed and I was like this guy is a tool.

Old
12-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Sorry, man, but i work in medical department , and i failed to see a impact in the video where it could knock someone out cold, like Orpik was. I'm not defending Thornton, hell i want him suspended BIG TIME, and i'm not saying Orpik was faking. Far from it. I'm just worried about Orpik's health. If he was knocked out with this, man i'm scared for him in the futur...! Imagine if he would receive a real punch in a fight or a elbow to the head? If he is that fragile because of past concussions, this guy should re-think about his living and job...

Again, i'm not defending Thornton. Just worried about Orpik's futur health issues.
Like I said, we don't really know what happened on that play. He might've just caught it at a bad angle or taken the fall wrong... And his head might've hit the ice on the punch....

Remember, it was a sucker punch and he wasn't ready for it. The Steve Moore hit didn't look like it would cause that much damage either.

Old
12-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Like I said, we don't really know what happened on that play. He might've just caught it at a bad angle or taken the fall wrong... And his head might've hit the ice on the punch....

Remember, it was a sucker punch and he wasn't ready for it. The Steve Moore hit didn't look like it would cause that much damage either.
If I'm not mistaken, most of the damage from that was Moore falling into the ice with Bertuzzi on his back and then others piling on.

Either way, still a terrible, dumb play by an idiot.

Old
12-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Moore was unconcious was falling, so he hit his head on the ice big time + everyone felt on top of him.... He had no chance...

Old
12-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
Is it usual practice where you work to make a diagnosis based on a one angle camera shot of what happened?
No, we don't have any camera angle.

Old
12-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Doc McKenna

Thornton is a goon, but I don't think this was that bad. Oh he should get 10 games, but much like parros and orr it was a weird occurance. Neal however is a dirty POS and that should get a severe punishment as well but he might only get a game or just a fine given how lame the discipline is in the NHL.

Old
12-08-2013, 10:48 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Sorry, man, but i work in medical department , and i failed to see a impact in the video where it could knock someone out cold, like Orpik was
(...)
Watch the replay angle at 2:43. His head never touch the ice, especially during his fall and no full-force punches...

Again, that doesn't excuse Thornton, he needs big timee suspension. Just worried about Orpik concussion history and possible futur health issues.
Han no offense but that almost sounds like something a broons concern troll might say. Agree with Overlords it's very difficult to assess the damage done by a blow to the head based on how much "force" seen on a reply.

I worked in fightsports for ten years and saw many an apparently benign-looking punch seriously mess guys up.

Old
12-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
It's a lot easier to generate force in a punch when you're going downwards vs upwards. Not to mention I think he gave 2 good jabs at far more than 15%. Regardless, like I said, Orpik has never been concussed in the NHL. These punches were sufficient to knock out a physical player who has no previous injury. What is just a perfect punch, the right angle or wtv? Maybe so but it really doesn't mean Orpik is soft or concussion prone.
That's what I said earlier. On the second punch Thornton may have caught the "sweet" spot. I hope that's what it is, as I've seen Orpik take harder punches and not even really budge.

Old
12-08-2013, 10:58 AM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Han no offense but that almost sounds like something a broons concern troll might say. Agree with Overlords it's very difficult to assess the damage done by a blow to the head based on how much "force" seen on a reply.

I worked in fightsports for ten years and saw many an apparently benign-looking punch seriously mess guys up.
Wow, sick. Might PM you for more background on this

Old
12-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I think if the league was serious about this stuff, then Shanny shouldn't be a one man show, there should be a panel to discuss and evaluate these kinds of things, and then have Shanny as a front man to announce the decision...it seems like they try to make it better, but one guy shouldn't be given the responsibility...it should be a panel of people, and then maybe they would get the consistency we are looking for...
The Australian Football League (AFL), obviously a much smaller league than the NHL, has a Tribunal comprised of senior members of the legal community: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_Tribunal. A formal legal process is used to ensure consistency between disciplinary decisions. It is utterly ridiculous and pathetic that Shanahan (an ex hockey player!) is solely responsible for disciplinary decisions in a 3 billion dollar organization like the NHL.

Old
12-08-2013, 11:12 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehab View Post
The Australian Football League (AFL), obviously a much smaller league than the NHL, has a Tribunal comprised of senior members of the legal community: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_Tribunal. A formal legal process is used to ensure consistency between disciplinary decisions. It is utterly ridiculous and pathetic that Shanahan (an ex hockey player!) is solely responsible for disciplinary decisions in a 3 billion dollar organization like the NHL.
As I posted earlier I think some of the owners are secretly lovin' this sort of ****.

Last edited by JLP: 12-08-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old
12-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Moore was unconcious was falling, so he hit his head on the ice big time + everyone felt on top of him.... He had no chance...
That punch on Moore didn't look like it was huge. That's my point.

You never know what a punch is going to do. It can catch you at a bad angle and down you go.

Old
12-08-2013, 11:27 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Thornton made a STUPID play and he needs to pay for it... But i gotta say, if all it took for Orpik to get knocked out was this, man, retire dude, it will be dangerous for you in the futur... I mean, yes it was pretty stupid by Thornton, but there was not a solid punch even thrown....
Thornton caught him with a very solid forearm.

Loving the "new" rivalry with the Pens Bruins.

Old
12-08-2013, 11:30 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
I was never in favor of getting a goon like Parros, but I got to admit that both Orr and Thornton were complete non-factor in the game against the Leafs and the Bruins (having Prust, Moen and Murray is probably helping too though). They weren't trying to bully our player constantly like they did in the past.
And that is the reason why I was forever in favor of getting a guy like Parros.

All the Pens had on the ice yesterday was Engelland. And Lucic has been targeting him Komisarek style. After Engelland, Pittsburgh is relatively soft.

Thankful that Bergevin recognized the NEED to have Parros on the team.

Old
12-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Uber Coca

Reading the Bruins board about this incident feels like idiocracy. They sure are a weird bunch.

Old
12-08-2013, 11:34 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

All the Pens had on the ice yesterday was Engelland. And Lucic has been targeting him Komisarek style. After Engelland, Pittsburgh is relatively soft.

the need wasn't "Parros"

the was was "Parros & Murray". you don't get ONE tough fighter, you need to get two, with at least one who can play passable NHL hockey.

Old
12-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Smokey Thompson

There were 3 Pens standing next to Orpik when Thornton grabbed him. Not 1 of them attempted to stop what was happening. Letang is a big and strong guy, yet he just watched his teammate get clobbered by Thornton. Meanwhile the other Pens just look at the ref with his arms up...

There is something seriously wrong with that sight. It's reassuring to know that the Habs always have at least 1 guy on the ice that can step in and keep opposing players in line.

Old
12-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

I agree.

Thornton wasn't running around last game abd Orr too.

Old
12-08-2013, 11:40 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
the need wasn't "Parros"

the was was "Parros & Murray". you don't get ONE tough fighter, you need to get two, with at least one who can play passable NHL hockey.
True. Murray was a beast last night and did get in Thornton's face in front of Price on Thursday. And he fought ****ing John Scott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Where was gatekeeper Quasimodo Lucic in all this? Isn't he the one to whom players are supposed to answer to when a clean hit is delivered against a big, bad, Bruin?
Lucic and Engelland were both in the penalty box for their fight when this went on.

Old
12-08-2013, 11:42 AM
StanAjax

Seriously, how often do we have to watch that ugly stuff and it's in a Bruins game ? Either they are the victims or the offenders (or both).

One finally has to question if it's not because of the organization's mentality, from Sinden to Julien. They do not respect the other players, so the other players don't respect the Bruins players and will never hesitate to punish them.

Just ban the Bruins for the season. No ranking, no playoffs, no draft.

Old
12-08-2013, 11:44 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
There were 3 Pens standing next to Orpik when Thornton grabbed him. Not 1 of them attempted to stop what was happening. Letang is a big and strong guy, yet he just watched his teammate get clobbered by Thornton. Meanwhile the other Pens just look at the ref with his arms up...

There is something seriously wrong with that sight. It's reassuring to know that the Habs always have at least 1 guy on the ice that can step in and keep opposing players in line.
Yea it's 2014 and you can legally assault a guy and smash his head against the ice and get a slap on the wrist.

Closed Thread