HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adam Erne hit on Jonathan Drouin | Drouin out with a mild concussion

Old
12-07-2013, 12:09 AM
DFC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar City View Post
Lol. This is a **** show.

I wouldn't want a prospect in my organization that thought, "hey, I'm going to take it easy tonight since the other guy got drafted with me." SFY drafted Erne, a kid who plays with an edge and is a little dirty; why should he change the way he plays because someone who is in the same organization is on the other team? Seriously?

Isn't this VERY similar to the concussion hit we saw Hedman give Crosby? Huh. I can't recall anyone saying Hedman needed to be moved because he is a dumbass.

It wasn't a very hard hit. Stupid play, obviously, but Erne thinks Drouin has possession and goes in for a check/tie up.

This, from one of the biggest Drouin guys on here. Sure, it is extremely unfortunate and a dumb play, but would anyone even care if it were Drouin that did this to Erne? Highly unlikely.
There's a difference between "playing with an edge" and making a downright dangerous play. The fact that he did it to a kid he roomed with four months ago maybe doesn't make it worse, but it definitely makes it stupider, because this wasn't a hockey play. This was a play that was clearly illegal, dangerous, and not in the heat of the moment. There's no way Erne didn't know what he was doing or who he was doing it to.

And YES, if this was Drouin on Erne, it would be JUST as stupid. In fact, let's take Drouin out of the equation. If Erne makes this hit on random player A, and then makes those comments about it? I'm still thinking someone, at the very least, needs to sit the kid down and teach him about how to conduct himself.

It's one thing to have a player that has an edge. It's another thing to have a player that's downright dirty. We thought the hit was idiotic, but the hit combined with the post-game comments are what makes it indefensible.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 12:09 AM
FDfranklin
Standclose

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
That hit was 100% dirty. He should be suspended heartily for that ****.
Agree. It was more than dirty, it was pretty malicious. From ice level it would be beyond obvious that hitting someone like that would cause injury. **** that kid.

FDfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 12:11 AM
FDfranklin
Standclose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
There's a difference between "playing with an edge" and making a downright dangerous play. The fact that he did it to a kid he roomed with four months ago maybe doesn't make it worse, but it definitely makes it stupider, because this wasn't a hockey play. This was a play that was clearly illegal, dangerous, and not in the heat of the moment. There's no way Erne didn't know what he was doing or who he was doing it to.

And YES, if this was Drouin on Erne, it would be JUST as stupid. In fact, let's take Drouin out of the equation. If Erne makes this hit on random player A, and then makes those comments about it? I'm still thinking someone, at the very least, needs to sit the kid down and teach him about how to conduct himself.

It's one thing to have a player that has an edge. It's another thing to have a player that's downright dirty. We thought the hit was idiotic, but the hit combined with the post-game comments are what makes it indefensible.
True words.

I had thought highly as Erne as a prospect and if Drouin had made this hit on Erne I would be making the same comments. Idiotic and clearly malicious, nothing us bolts fans should want on our team.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:14 AM
zeykshade

Quote:

Pretty much all of this. If he is willing to injure a player, then blame the victim of his actions in the media...I don't want him anywhere near the Lightning.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 12:25 AM
FDfranklin
Standclose

From someone who was at the game..

Quote:
Had a good view of the hit from my seats... First of all did anyone notice on a PP previous to the hit Drouin toe dragged Erne, made him fall, and shot the puck causing a whistle, and as every settles down Drouin gives Erne a tap on the ass like, "hey, I got ya there" as if they were buddies... Which is what I was thinking as they've played in many prospect events and Tampa camp over the past three years... Then for Erne to do something like that, is strange... weegar has proven to be a tough customer over the last few years, I really wish he got a hold of Erne and could have tee'd off...

And for him to say what he said after the game... Wow.. doing that on the ice is one thing, but to come out after and say it was on Drouin... It's like, what are you thinking kid? Senseless comment on a senseless play. The league should look at this and suspend him accordingly... The onus is all on the hitter (nevermind the Drouin went down easy comment, which he didn't, stupid comment whoever said that) that's a textbook 5+ gamer if you look at past suspensions... Saw his numbers, didn't slow down, injured league superstar for that matter if the Q would like to do Halifax as much of a favour as they can now...

Old
DFC

From the prospect boards:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJQuack View Post
Had a good view of the hit from my seats... First of all did anyone notice on a PP previous to the hit Drouin toe dragged Erne, made him fall, and shot the puck causing a whistle, and as every settles down Drouin gives Erne a tap on the ass like, "hey, I got ya there" as if they were buddies... Which is what I was thinking as they've played in many prospect events and Tampa camp over the past three years... Then for Erne to do something like that, is strange... weegar has proven to be a tough customer over the last few years, I really wish he got a hold of Erne and could have tee'd off...
Thought it was interesting.

Old
Cigar City

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDfranklin View Post
Have you played hockey?

Watch this view:

You cannot defend the guy after watching that view. He had an entire week to see his numbers and that he was facing the boards. That is not how you play hockey. If you see the guys numbers you don't hit him. Even if Erne has glaucoma and can't see his numbers, there's no way he knew Drouin even had possession, just think about being on ice level (if you've played hockey). You would clearly see he didn't have possession and that he was facing the boards. Sorry but get the **** out of here, this is an extremely dirty hit.

and you honestly think SFY would wan't Erne playing this way against Drouin? That's a joke.
Lol. Really?

Drouin was digging for a puck that was on the boards in between a player that was on the ground and would have had possession had Erne not smashed him. At ice level it was obvious that Drouin was going to gain possession (see video you posted), so Erne was going to take the man, the play you would make (if you've ever played hockey) instead of chasing the puck and getting burnt. Have you ever seen "the shift"? Don't play the puck on Jo.

Drouin put himself in a bad position (obviously wasn't his fault), and Erne made a stupid play. Did I not say that? He should have pinned him into the boards, but came in way too hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30GamesIn28Days View Post
I fully agree with this.

But his comments to the media were just ****ing stupid. He needs to realize that it was an illegal hit.
I agree, 100%

Quote:
Hedman made the same play. He's a pretty good player. Lapses in judgement happen, especially at the pace these kids play at.

The comments were immature, but he's a competitor and made some dumb comments that he will learn to keep inside. I mean, ****, isn't his immaturity what dropped him into the second?

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 12:31 AM
zeykshade

Hedman on Crosby isn't even remotely similar to this hit. Crosby was right up against the glass and was already playing with a concussion from Steckel's hit in the Winter Classic.

Drouin was off the boards enough to where a high hit propelled him face first into the boards. Crosby even had his arms up to absorb the blow.

Even worse is, Erne ****ing turtled like a ***** after he did it too. Only player who went down easy in that was Erne...after Weegar tried to exact some justice for the hit.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:31 AM
DFC

Quote:

Hedman made the same play. He's a pretty good player. Lapses in judgement happen, especially at the pace these kids play at.

The comments were immature, but he's a competitor and made some dumb comments that he will learn to keep inside. I mean, ****, isn't his immaturity what dropped him into the second?
Did Hedman go on to make a fool of himself in the media?

The comments, for me, are the bigger problem. They raise flags. After the hit we thought he was an idiot, but it was the post-game comments, combined with the hit, that really made a situation out of this. Because now you have to question the kid's character. I realize he's 18, but he should be a LOT more mature than what he showed tonight. On a hundred different levels.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:33 AM
FDfranklin
Standclose

Quote:
Lol. Really?

Drouin was digging for a puck that was on the boards in between a player that was on the ground and would have had possession had Erne not smashed him. At ice level it was obvious that Drouin was going to gain possession (see video you posted), so Erne was going to take the man, the play you would make (if you've ever played hockey) instead of chasing the puck and getting burnt. Have you ever seen "the shift"? Don't play the puck on Jo.

Drouin put himself in a bad position (obviously wasn't his fault), and Erne made a stupid play. Did I not say that? He should have pinned him into the boards, but came in way too hot.

I agree, 100%

You clearly say "Erne thinks he has possession and goes in for the hit"..

That's not what you do when someone is going to get possession and also happens to be facing the boards. Like you said, you either tie him up.. or get in front of the body with your stick against the boards to try and get possession. Hitting him like this was extremely reckless and he shouldn't be defended because he is our prospect.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Brandel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg39 View Post
Interesting fact about the aftermath of the hit...

Mac Weegar, #52 for Halifax who immediately jumped Erne after the hit, is a prospect of the Panthers. Props to Mac for getting in there.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=97908

After reading Erne's response, . Seriously dude?
Weegar is also a very good 7th round pick. Not often you see a guy drafted in the 7th round get an nhl exhibition game the same year and play well in it. He's PPG in the Q too.

Brandel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DFC

Erne for Weegar.

Old
snowden
Man is matter

vCash: 1742
What. The. ****. Erne, you ******. That's your teammate, you stupid ****

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 12:36 AM
Cigar City

Quote:
You clearly say "Erne thinks he has possession and goes in for the hit"..

That's not what you do when someone is going to get possession and also happens to be facing the boards. Like you said, you either tie him up.. or get in front of the body with your stick against the boards to try and get possession. Hitting him like this was extremely reckless and he shouldn't be defended because he is our prospect.
I didn't defend the hit at all. I said it was stupid, and his comments made it worse.

Sometimes Erne plays like an idiot. That's what I said. I was pointing out the fact that a lot of members were upset that he did it to Drouin and that he should be moved. He's 18 and has maturity issues; I was simply pointing out the fact that, in my opinion, Yzerman knows what he drafted.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:40 AM
FDfranklin
Standclose

Quote:
I didn't defend the hit at all. I said it was stupid, and his comments made it worse.

Sometimes Erne plays like an idiot. That's what I said. I was pointing out the fact that a lot of members were upset that he did it to Drouin and that he should be moved. He's 18 and has maturity issues; I was simply pointing out the fact that, in my opinion, Yzerman knows what he drafted.
Fair enough but do you honestly think Yzerman is going to be happy about this? The kid obviously has maturity issues but it's not like Yzerman said "go get em kid, regardless of who they are". Erne should know better regardless of the player and should know even better if it's Yzerman's golden boy. This absolutely will hurt his career unless Drouin is back in a week or so.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:47 AM
snowden
Man is matter

vCash: 1742
I don't think he drafted an idiot, reckless player that has no issues with injuring a future teammate and taking no responsibility for it. Just because he plays tough doesn't mean he needs to have maturity issues or use the excuse that he's only 18. That's unacceptable at any level and age. If Drouin was on the Turds, I'd be saying the same thing. I hope the organization punishes him because that shouldn't be tolerated.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 12:48 AM
FDfranklin
Standclose

Quote:
Erne for Weegar.
Traded to Buffalo for future considerations for the ice crew.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Cigar City

Quote:
Fair enough but do you honestly think Yzerman is going to be happy about this? The kid obviously has maturity issues but it's not like Yzerman said "go get em kid, regardless of who they are". Erne should know better regardless of the player and should know even better if it's Yzerman's golden boy. This absolutely will hurt his career unless Drouin is back in a week or so.
Lol. I certainly would hope not. As many of you were pointing out as your biggest concerns, I think Yzerman will take issue with his media comments.

Idk if I would expect contact between the two, but hopefully this will be the end of the immaturity with the media. As I said, he's 18, so I don't think Yzerman does anything significant.

I haven't seen any confirmed reports of a concussion (correct me if I'm wrong), just "concussion like symptoms". So we will see if it is serious. Hopefully not!

Old
12-07-2013, 12:59 AM
FDfranklin
Standclose

Quote:
Lol. I certainly would hope not. As many of you were pointing out as your biggest concerns, I think Yzerman will take issue with his media comments.

Idk if I would expect contact between the two, but hopefully this will be the end of the immaturity with the media. As I said, he's 18, so I don't think Yzerman does anything significant.

I haven't seen any confirmed reports of a concussion (correct me if I'm wrong), just "concussion like symptoms". So we will see if it is serious. Hopefully not!
Are you not a bolts fan?

Old
12-07-2013, 01:05 AM
DFC

Quote:

Before the comments, I was thinking Yzerman would stay out of it. Maybe have Stacy Roest bring up the suspension when they meet. After the comments? I'd be disappointed if someone doesn't get in touch with the kid or his agent by morning. It needs to be addressed.

As is, he probably bought himself an extra year off the main roster.

Old
12-07-2013, 01:05 AM
zeykshade

"Concussion-Like Symptoms" is hockey code for Concussion.

Old
12-07-2013, 01:06 AM
zeykshade

Quote:
Before the comments, I was thinking Yzerman would stay out of it. Maybe have Stacy Roest bring up the suspension when they meet. After the comments? I'd be disappointed if someone doesn't get in touch with the kid or his agent by morning. It needs to be addressed.

As his, he probably bought himself a "no chance" at making next year's roster.
I'm on it DFC, sent him a tweet about it =p

Quote:
‏@zeykshade 59m
@Adamerne73 Pretty classy injuring another player (future teammate?) and then blaming them for it by calling them a diver. #nevergofullerne
That'll nip it in the bud for sure!

Old
12-07-2013, 01:09 AM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
I'm on it DFC, sent him a tweet about it =p

That'll nip it in the bud for sure!
"Full Erne" is going to stick.

Old
12-07-2013, 01:10 AM
Cigar City

Quote:
Are you not a bolts fan?
Hahahahahahhaha. I always try to put myself in the WWSFYD pants. He seems like a cool-as-ice unbiased rational thinker. So I have to put that hat on when this **** happens, because every other time I have flipped out (Vinny/Conacher) he ends up making me look like an idiot.

I'm an equal opportunity prospect fan, so Erne doesn't fall too far below Drouin on my scale.

---Drouin

---Vasilevski

---Erne/Koekkoek

I think he has a ton of potential and he was a great pick in the second round, but he needs to iron out his wrinkles over the next couple of years. Extra starch.

HAHAHHAA "Full Erne". That is ****ing gold.

Old
12-07-2013, 01:14 AM
OG Kuch

I like what he said to the media. There's nothing wrong with that.

But I must say, that play was way worse than I thought it would be after reading the initial reports.

OG Kuch is online now   Reply With Quote