HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jason Spezza at a 4.0 cap hit

Old
12-08-2013, 11:29 AM
WhiteLight*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen View Post
it would be better, but you said "there is no chance Ottawa retains salary", wrong and no need to change thread idea or title
It's wrong though. The owner just wouldn't do it.

WhiteLight* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 11:31 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Spezza at a premium price is great. At a reduced price? Does the CBA allow me to trade the keys to my house?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan40 View Post
An asset we wont keep? Sorry but there's no way in hell that ottawa would let Spezza walk
Do you really want to give Spezza an 6-8 year deal at 7+ million? That's probably what it'll take to keep him.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 11:38 AM
NickLidstrom
Ottawa & Detroit fan

vCash: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Whitman View Post
Do you really want to give Spezza an 6-8 year deal at 7+ million? That's probably what it'll take to keep him.

No, but we probably will. And he wont ask for more then 6 a year imo, remember he will be 32 when his deal is up. I just don't see us trading the face of our franchise.

NickLidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 11:42 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
It's wrong though. The owner just wouldn't do it.
I gave an illustration of a trade where the owner retains salary and saves money, and you think owner just wouldn't do it? That makes no sense.

officeglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 11:46 AM
WhiteLight*

Quote:
I gave an illustration of a trade where the owner retains salary and saves money, and you think owner just wouldn't do it? That makes no sense.
In what world would any team give up 5 1st rounders for Spezza?

The owner would not do it in any realistic trade. The owner would rather get less in return than hold salary and get a better return. That is how cheap he is.

Old
12-08-2013, 11:59 AM
officeglen

Quote:
The owner would not do it in any realistic trade. The owner would rather get less in return than hold salary and get a better return. That is how cheap he is.
First, you do agree now it is possible for the owner to retain salary and either save money or break even.

Second, there are possible realistic trades and this thread is about talking about them. If you think it is not possible, why participate in this thread?

Third my illustration was just that, not a trade proposal.

Old
12-08-2013, 12:07 PM
WhiteLight*

Quote:
First, you do agree now it is possible for the owner to retain salary and either save money or break even
If Spezza is traded, the Sens will want to bring in player(s) from free agency. If they hold salary, this will severely limit there ability to do so. The owner is extremely cheap, but he also very much wants to win and icing a bottom feeder next year is not part of the plan.

If Spezza was a free agent this summer, then yes it would be possible. However since he has another year left on his deal, it's not possible.

Quote:
Second, there are possible realistic trades and this thread is about talking about them. If you think it is not possible, why participate in this thread?
All I did was point out it was incorrect. Ottawa will not hold salary under any circumstance. It's just not happening. This should be just a value of Spezza thread.

Do you not understand how much Alfredsson meant to Ottawa? More than Sundin to Toronto. By far. The owner let him go because of money. Also, are you fully aware of what happened with Heatley?

You don't know anything about Ottawa at all. This owner will NOT pay Jason Spezza to play elsewhere. Period.

Old
12-08-2013, 12:17 PM
officeglen

Quote:
All I did was point out it was incorrect. Ottawa will not hold salary under any circumstance. It's just not happening. This should be just a value of Spezza thread.
All I did was point out that was incorrect. Ottawa will hold salary under the circumstance that it saves the owner money. It can happen. You didn't start the thread, don't derail it.

Quote:
Also, are you fully aware of what happened with Heatley?
Yes I am and it wasn't about money, talk to people in the know

Last edited by officeglen: 12-08-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old
12-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan40 View Post
No, but we probably will. And he wont ask for more then 6 a year imo, remember he will be 32 when his deal is up. I just don't see us trading the face of our franchise.
Captain != face of the franchise.

No one thought Alfredsson would sign elsewhere. *He* was the face of the franchise. If anyone is the heir apparent, it'd be our norris trophy winning dman, not Jason Spezza.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 12:54 PM
NickLidstrom
Ottawa & Detroit fan

vCash: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Whitman View Post
Captain != face of the franchise.

No one thought Alfredsson would sign elsewhere. *He* was the face of the franchise. If anyone is the heir apparent, it'd be our norris trophy winning dman, not Jason Spezza.
fair enough, but like I zaid before his situation is completely different then Alfies

NickLidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 01:28 PM
WhiteLight*

Quote:
All I did was point out that was incorrect. Ottawa will hold salary under the circumstance that it saves the owner money. It can happen. You didn't start the thread, don't derail it.

Yes I am and it wasn't about money, talk to people in the know
Did you just say the Heatley fiasco has nothing to do with money? Good god sir you are clueless.

You really don't know what you're talking about. He paid $10M to Heatley on his new contract for his one season in Ottawa, and then in the summer he demanded a trade paid an extra $4M in signing bonus. 14M for one season. Melnyk was extremely pissed at this. He's made this HUGE deal about San Jose paying the 4M.

He will NOT pay millions of dollars for his star player to play elsewhere. It's not happening, it's not debatable.

If Spezza were to be traded, it could easily be done without holding salary. Therefore, he has no reason to hold salary. Answer this, guy: why would Melnyk hold salary if he doesn't have to?

The guy who started this thread thought Ottawa could eat cap hit, while not eating salary. The guy who started the thread is the biggest ''Melnyk has money issues'' guy on the Sens board. This isn't derailing the thread, it's 100% on topic.

Old
12-08-2013, 01:37 PM
officeglen

Quote:
Did you just say the Heatley fiasco has nothing to do with money? Good god sir you are clueless.
I didn't say trading Heatley didn't involve the movement of money, I said the reason for trading him wasn't about money. You are clueless.

If you think something is not debatable, why are you here debating it? Best to rant somewhere else.

Old
12-08-2013, 01:50 PM
I am Canadian
Foreverly Hopeful

I think Rielly, Liles, 1st and Percy/Finn/Leivo would be decently close.
There is no way Spezza gets both Kadri and Rielly.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 01:55 PM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Canadian View Post
I think Rielly, Liles, 1st and Percy/Finn/Leivo would be decently close.
There is no way Spezza gets both Kadri and Rielly.
agreed, and the Sens would have more interest in Rielly

deal

Old
12-08-2013, 03:10 PM
YotesFan47

As a neutral party, I feel like Columbus would be the perfect trading partner. They have a legit need for a 1c and have a good amount of players they could offer.

Dubinsky, Nikitin, Savard, and a 1st would be a pretty good return and help make the team more competitive.

YotesFan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 03:12 PM
AvalancheFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenJagrt View Post
Whatever you want except Kessel, JVR and Phaneuf. Name your price.

Big Spezza fan, he's a stellar player when healthy. In my opinion, one of the most underrated players in the league, a truly elite first line center with incredible playmaking abilities and a heck of a laugh.
Fact.

AvalancheFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 03:17 PM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan47 View Post
As a neutral party, I feel like Columbus would be the perfect trading partner. They have a legit need for a 1c and have a good amount of players they could offer.

Dubinsky, Nikitin, Savard, and a 1st would be a pretty good return and help make the team more competitive.
Spezza might not want to go there, but you are correct, the rest of the parameters could work