HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stajan

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 04:53 AM
VanW27

vCash: 500
Stajan

Is there any chance Stajan will make the big clup because he has looked awful good this preseason. And if he doesnt make the team will Poni. Heres where i think Stajan would fit.

Roberts-Sundin-Mogilny
Stajan-Antropov-Nolan
Tucker-Niewendyk-Green
Renberg-Reichel-Domi
-Fitzgerald

This gives us two scoring lines,a third line that can score and forecheck,and a fourth line that can work the puck deep in the other teams zone(plus reichel has to go somewhere).

Old
09-30-2003, 05:04 AM
Leaf Army

There's a chance Stajan could make the team, but some other moves would have to be made first.

Personally, I'd like to see Stajan start the year in the AHL and maybe work his way into the NHL lineup mid-way through the season if someone on the big team gets hurt.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:11 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Personally I don't see it happening. I think he's playing good and all but he would get much more experiance playing in Newfoundland this season then in Toronto. I see him playing one of the top 2 lines in SJ... Getting some much needed Ice time and he could be stalled a bit getting lower ice time playing in Toronto.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:17 AM
loveshack2

I dont see him making it, we're already carrying an extra forward (Belak). Then I think you have to give Ponikarovsky a chance to play regularly first, since he's already paid his dues and has shown some ability. If Poni falters or doesnt produce then you can give his spot to Stajan mid-way through the season. Holden is in the mix there was well although Im personally not a fan and would rank him below Stajan.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:31 AM
sluggo*

If they trade away one or two of their fowards (which is pretty likely to happen) theres a good chance Stajan could get called up to fill that spot on the roster.

Old
09-30-2003, 07:42 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24
Personally I don't see it happening. I think he's playing good and all but he would get much more experiance playing in Newfoundland this season then in Toronto. I see him playing one of the top 2 lines in SJ... Getting some much needed Ice time and he could be stalled a bit getting lower ice time playing in Toronto.
Is your answer a little bias, since you would get to see him play in NS first hand??

Old
09-30-2003, 07:58 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Is your answer a little bias, since you would get to see him play in NS first hand??
St. John's is in Newfoundland not Nova Scotia.

Old
09-30-2003, 07:59 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

From the Sun Today...

Stajan Quote...

Stajan, 19, and Colaiacovo, 20, certainly are two of the more promising young kids to pass through camp in recent years.

Asked why he was still available in the second round of the 2002 entry draft, Stajan replied "I guess God had it for me to be a Leaf."

So Matty hopes/thinks he is in the right place now...lets see if Quinn agrees...

Old
09-30-2003, 08:02 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Of course I know that ...but I believe I have read a few posts where Joey24 said he took in a few baby leaf games...

Its a lot closer than TO..

Old
09-30-2003, 08:03 AM
ACC1224

Quote:

Old
09-30-2003, 08:31 AM
Joey24

Quote:
Of course I know that ...but I believe I have read a few posts where Joey24 said he took in a few baby leaf games...

Its a lot closer than TO..
I have Family in Newfoundland so I go there a few times a year But I have a friend who goes to almost all the baby leaf games and he usuilly gets me the VHS copies he recordes..

Old
09-30-2003, 09:05 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24
I have Family in Newfoundland so I go there a few times a year But I have a friend who goes to almost all the baby leaf games and he usuilly gets me the VHS copies he recordes..
I thought I read a few of your posts that said you get to see Baby Leaf games ..Live or on tape I was not sure... Not sure how far you live travel time from the Baby Leafs..but if I lived near enough to make the drive I would take in a few games particularly on weekends... I make the commute from BC to see the Seattle Seahawks play a few NFL games each year and its about a 2 1/2 hour commute..

That Is why I said you would rather have Stajan down there in your neck of the woods rather than Toronto...

then we get all these Geography Genius pointing out that St. Johns, Newfoundland is not in Nova Scotia...well thanks...

Old
09-30-2003, 09:18 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Not sure how far you live travel time from the Baby Leafs..but if I lived near enough to make the drive I would take in a few games particularly on weekends...
then we get all these Geography Genius pointing out that St. Johns, Newfoundland is not in Nova Scotia...well thanks...
Well I don't pretend to be a "Geography Genius" but I'm pretty sure you can't drive from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland. Or can you?

Old
09-30-2003, 09:25 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
Well I don't pretend to be a "Geography Genius" but I'm pretty sure you can't drive from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland. Or can you?

Nope. You can drive to Labrador though, if you're willing to spend you're entire weekend getting there and back.

And for the record I *am* a "Geography Genius".

Old
09-30-2003, 09:56 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
Nope. You can drive to Labrador though, if you're willing to spend you're entire weekend getting there and back.

And for the record I *am* a "Geography Genius".

I realize that St Johns the capital of Newfoundland in on a island with the gulf of St. Lawrence in the way...but isn't here a Boat/fairly service to the mainland... Here in BC ...you can take a 2 hour Fairy ride from Vancouver to Victoria which is on an island..

and it must be a short flight from NS to Newfoundland by plane NO???

Old
09-30-2003, 11:49 AM
Transplanted Caper

In regards to Stajan, I see him in St Johns to start the year. He has said publically, on tsn's website, i believe that although he ses himself in St Johns for the year he wants to make it a difficult decision to cut him.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:08 PM
Ohio Jones
Game on...

Last time I went, the ferry from Cape Breton (the northern part of Nova Scotia, which itself is several hours drive north of Halifax, as a reference point) to Newfoundland (Argentia) was overnight - it's several hundred kilometers away. And then you're still a few hours' drive outside of St. John's.

The scale of things in North America is really difficult for people from Europe to get accustomed to - everything really is much farther away from everything else. It's not an accusation, just experience - I found it totally freaky - even though I am very well-acquainted with European geography - that I could travel on land through four or five different countries (all speaking different languages) in the span of a few hours.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:31 AM
Joey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones
Last time I went, the ferry from Cape Breton (the northern part of Nova Scotia, which itself is several hours drive north of Halifax, as a reference point) to Newfoundland (Argentia) was overnight - it's several hundred kilometers away. And then you're still a few hours' drive outside of St. John's.
The scale of things in North America is really difficult for people from Europe to get accustomed to - everything really is much farther away from everything else. It's not an accusation, just experience - I found it totally freaky - even though I am very well-acquainted with European geography - that I could travel on land through four or five different countries (all speaking different languages) in the span of a few hours.
I agree Ohio. We are spread out alot more then Europe and the travel is something that the euro players take time adjusting to but not something that hampers there play all that much. The biggest thing they find hard to adjust to is the eating habits and just the difference in day to day living.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Gramsci

Is Stajan not still junior eligible?

He's 20 before the new year, but I've heard some people say he'd still have to go back to junior if the Leafs don't keep him.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramsci
Is Stajan not still junior eligible?
No he is not.If he doesn't make the big team he's going to play with the Baby Leafs in the AHL.I think he is 20 years old already.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:35 PM
Doug Evinou

he's only 19, but turns 20 before 2004 (dec 13th or something), so does not have to be returned to junior.

Old
10-01-2003, 08:03 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo2003
In regards to Stajan, I see him in St Johns to start the year. He has said publically, on tsn's website, i believe that although he ses himself in St Johns for the year he wants to make it a difficult decision to cut him.
No doubt in my mind he will play in the NHL. He just needs to bulk up a bit. The guy is too smart not to play in this league.

Old
10-02-2003, 03:17 AM
Joey24

I think Stajan will be a regular call up through out the year due to injories and such. I do agree with a previous statement of how he is to light right now and needs to bulk up a bit more. But I do see Stajan being a solid NHL player.

Old
10-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Gramsci

Hey, thanks for the clarification!

It seems Ferguson was trying to clear up a roster spot for Stajan (although he said publicly it was for Nik).

Matt looks like a player, that's for sure. You never want to rush a kid, but if they're ready, let them play.

So far, Stajan looks like he's ready.

Old
10-05-2003, 03:04 PM
Barney Stinson76

Is he at the opening roster??????

Closed Thread