HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McIver, Bernier, Guenette signed

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2005, 02:08 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

vCash: 500
McIver, Bernier, Guenette signed

So, no danger of them re-entering the draft. Does this mean all three will be playing for the Moose (or Inferno) next year?

Quote:
CANUCKS KEEP TRIO

Vancouver Canucks General Manager and Senior Vice-President Dave Nonis announced today that the Canucks have signed forwards Marc-Andre Bernier and Francois-Pierre Guenette and defenceman Nathan McIver to their first pro contracts.

Bernier, Guenette and McIver were all drafted by the Canucks in 2003 and needed to be signed by today to avoid re-entering the NHL's Entry Draft.
http://www.canucks.com

Old
07-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
So, no danger of them re-entering the draft. Does this mean all three will be playing for the Moose (or Inferno) next year?

http://www.canucks.com
Good job Nonis!!

I am a "little" disappointed we didn't sign Hansen...but maybe he still will be. I know the deadline is officially past but perhaps a deal is done and not announced yet. If not, no huge loss. I think we get our top 3 unsigned picks signed...good job Nonis. Now, about Markus.....

Old
07-28-2005, 02:19 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Good job Nonis!!

I am a "little" disappointed we didn't sign Hansen...but maybe he still will be. I know the deadline is officially past but perhaps a deal is done and not announced yet. If not, no huge loss. I think we get our top 3 unsigned picks signed...good job Nonis. Now, about Markus.....
Is Hansen in the same boat as these guys? He was drafted a year later. I'm not sure if the Canucks needed to lock up guys like him and Edler today.

Old
07-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Peter

Quote:
Is Hansen in the same boat as these guys? He was drafted a year later. I'm not sure if the Canucks needed to lock up guys like him and Edler today.
Matthew Hansen, the defenceman, was drafted 285th overall in 2003

Old
07-28-2005, 02:46 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Matthew Hansen, the defenceman, was drafted 285th overall in 2003
I thought you were talking about Jannik.

Old
07-28-2005, 03:03 PM
ZombieMatt

I'll be happy if the team doesn't sign Matt Hansen if no solely because it will avoid confusion when talking about Jannik Hansen. That said, unless the staff believes he's completely useless, I don't like letting any asset go.

I'm a tiny bit surprised about FP Guenette getting signed, but apparently they saw enough when he played decently to make him an offer. I'd guess McIver and Bernier would be locks for the Moose while FP is going to be in tough to stick with the AHL team. But it depends on what sort of role they want him to play.

Old
07-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt MacInnis
I'll be happy if the team doesn't sign Matt Hansen if no solely because it will avoid confusion when talking about Jannik Hansen.
I agree. I find it funny that two years in a row we drafted a kid with the last name Hansen with our last pick. I'm wondering if they will do it again this year (last pick) and then we could have the Hansen Brothers Line.

Old
07-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

I thought Matt Hansen had a good year in Seattle. The Province this morning said offers were made to McIver, Guenette, and Bernier. It said nothing about Hansen. Doesn't look good.

Old
07-28-2005, 11:19 PM
orcatown

My take on 2003 draft

1st Round - Kesler excellent choice. Core player of the future -- if not right now

2nd Round - Bernier - disappointment so far -- maybe a better pro than Junior. Question is can the guy play in all three zones (not just offensive zone) and whether he can play more physically. Like to see Bernier be more assertive. Too bad because we just missed O' Sullivan in the second round.

No third round pick (with Burke around that's usually a given)

4th Round Choice Round - Nolan -- poor and injury riddled season with the Moose. Don't know if the Moose have signed him for next year. Not strong enough on the puck to play at the NHL level. Questionable, in fact, whether he can hold his own at the minor pro level. Dime a dozen players like Nolan are what you can expect from the fourth round. Better I think to take a flyer on a guy who may lack some skill but brings something else - such as toughness or pro level skating.

4th round Choice - Morris - yikes - Canucks didn't look carefully enough at intelligence, character or work ethic here. Picking players from lower level hockey is extremely risky.

Seems to me that guys who duck Major Junior to be eligible to play US College Hockey rarely work out. Guys like Tambellini or Bertram might be way further along if they went to Major Junior, rather than shooting the lights out in the BC league or whatever. The education can wait. That's why I'm not happy about Skinner going back to college (a wasted year of development) and would like to see Schneider come out as soon as possible . If you want to play pro get on with it- like Kesler. Play at the highest level at which you can possibly compete.

5th Round Choice - Danielsson - another dud - an undersized offensive player that never scores. Seems to be ok at international tournaments but a wash out in the SEL. Recorded one assist in 30 games at Brynas this year.

Brownlee - another dud - enjoying a mediocre career at Minnesota State

Guenette - Big surprise to me. Given size and lack of production in QMJHL would seems a remote long-shot to do much at the pro level. Has some speed and offensive upside but hard to envision him ever playing at the NHL level

McIver - may redeem this draft- I would rate him in top ten (easily) of Canuck prospects. Had a dominant year in the OHL. Consistently matched against other teams top players (such as Perry, Carter, O' Sullivan) McIver was rock solid in his own end. Played it tough and took on top enforcers in the League and acquitted himself well. Though limited offensively McIver is looking like a player who could be a reliable stay-at-home NHL defenseman who can add toughness.

Hanson - played well for Seattle this year. Had some great games against Giants. However may lack that skating and skill to handle the speed at the pro level. Would, at least, like to see the Canucks offer him a tryout and maybe bring him into the organization at the minor pro level.

Overall the draft produced one excellent and one decent prospect. If every draft did the same you would be satisfied.

Old
07-28-2005, 11:55 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
woot

Old
07-29-2005, 12:30 AM
KStewart113

The only one I've heard of is Bernier...I think he might start to get his career going in Manitoba.

Old
07-29-2005, 12:36 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown

Seems to me that guys who duck Major Junior to be eligible to play US College Hockey rarely work out. Guys like Tambellini or Bertram might be way further along if they went to Major Junior, rather than shooting the lights out in the BC league or whatever. The education can wait. That's why I'm not happy about Skinner going back to college (a wasted year of development) and would like to see Schneider come out as soon as possible . If you want to play pro get on with it- like Kesler. Play at the highest level at which you can possibly compete.
US College hockey is very underrated by Canadian Fans. Players develope just as well as junior. The players are not "ducking out" on Major Junior so they can light it up and then go to College. Some players parents push them to go to college or they themselves wish to go to an American college. Personally, I would go to the CHL, as an education is still available there, but that route is not for everyone.

Old
07-29-2005, 12:42 AM
ZombieMatt

FP Guenette could perhaps develop into a serviceable third liner if he accepts that as a career path. If he focuses on that and stops trying to be a scorer, he could perhaps become a pesky, decent defensively, but undersized third liner with a little more offensive pop than your average guy playing those minutes.

He's definitely a long shot.

Old
07-29-2005, 01:24 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt MacInnis
FP Guenette could perhaps develop into a serviceable third liner if he accepts that as a career path. If he focuses on that and stops trying to be a scorer, he could perhaps become a pesky, decent defensively, but undersized third liner with a little more offensive pop than your average guy playing those minutes.

He's definitely a long shot.
Would it be fair to compare him to Brandon Reid?

Old
07-29-2005, 01:55 AM
orcatown

Hedburg - My point is that you must, as a young athlete, seek out the best level of competition. It is competition that develops you. I don't think Kesler is anywhere near ready if he had stuck it out in college. Hanging out in college when you have already shown dominence is not helpful. Skinner would IMO develop much more as a player by gong to Manitoba than he will in college. My bet is that he regresses or plateaus. People get into a comfort zone and level out.

I'm not saying you can't develop in college or that college hockey is no good. But that you reach a point of diminishing returns. I also believe that if you are a 16 or 17 year old that can make Major Junior you go there. You don't waste your development time playing at a slower pace in Junior B or Provincial Junior A. I think doing so, just to maintain your college elibility, is a mistake if your ultimate intent is to play in the NHL.

I think parents get hung up with the mantra about education coming first or using hockey to get an education. If someone has a chance to play in the NHL then I say go for it. Take the best steps possible to achieve your goal. Don't cop out by seeking to backdoor it through college. Anyhow that's what I think

Old
07-29-2005, 01:57 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown
Hedburg - My point is that you must, as a young athlete, seek out the best level of competition. It is competition that develops you. I don't think Kesler is anywhere near ready if he had stuck it out in college. Hanging out in college when you have already shown dominence is not helpful. Skinner would IMO develop much more as a player by gong to Manitoba than he will in college. My bet is that he regresses or plateaus. People get into a comfort zone and level out.

I'm not saying you can't develop in college or that college hockey is no good. But that you reach a point of diminishing returns. I also believe that if you are a 16 or 17 year old that can make Major Junior you go there. You don't waste your development time playing at a slower pace in Junior B or Provincial Junior A. I think doing so, just to maintain your college elibility, is a mistake if your ultimate intent is to play in the NHL.
This is a brilliant post. I have always assumed as much but could never put it this eloquently.

Old
07-29-2005, 02:01 AM
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Would it be fair to compare him to Brandon Reid?
In some ways yes, in others no. I'm afraid to give him that label because right now it carries a lot of negative conotation. He's not as short, but is similarly undersized, and defensively they have the same sort of abilities/potential. FP doesn't have the skills Reid has shown, but then again, he isn't likely to run off to Europe.

Old
07-29-2005, 04:28 AM
Biatcheslov

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
This is a brilliant post. I have always assumed as much but could never put it this eloquently.
yeah, it's definitely something I never considered before, but makes good sense. I would however say that it is in some players' best interests to go to college if offered a scholarship, because the chances of making the NHL will still be quite low for most kids. However I would believe that you are correct in saying that it could stunt a player's growth and that the best route for stud 15 year olds would be to go to Major Junior.

Closed Thread