HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Accountability? Is there such a thing with the Oilers?

Old
12-08-2013, 12:26 AM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Accountability? Is there such a thing with the Oilers?

Outside of Yakupov, Belov and a few other defensemen, is there such a thing as accountability?

Eberle gives the puck away 10x more than Yakupov, and plays a much softer game.

Gagner, since coming back from his injury is absolute garbage. He's been worse than garbage. He's been water trash.

Nugent-Hopkins is playing the softest hockey I've seen in a long time. If he's not missing the net, he's sticking to the perimeter.

Don't even get me started on Justin Schultz.

I remember being told that accountability was something to expect this season. I recall hearing that it wasn't going to be an easy ride, and those who aren't playing towards expectations were to sit upstairs or ride the bench? Sure when it comes to Yakupov, we're seeing it and it's mostly deserved. That said, is it at all fair? Crappy play, giveaways and stupid offensive and defensive breakdowns are the reason why Yakupov is being sat time and time again. The same junk we're seeing from our supposed, "Stars".

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 01:00 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
It's the same selective accountability that this club has practiced for years. If Yakupov had a game like Eberle, he'd probably be out of the NHL right now.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

The guys in charge of keeping players accountable aren't kept accountable themselves. Eakins is a little though, not being a former Oilers and all.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 01:28 AM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
You are above accountability when the organization has deemed you worthy of a multi-year multi-million dollar contract. To bench or sit one of these players would be embarrassing to the front office staff.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 02:02 PM
jbean

From Lowe on down there is very little accountability in this organization.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 02:10 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Schultz jr
Eberle
Gagner

These 3 deserve to be sat in the PB, All 3 of them could be the softest players in the league. Its laughable to watch these 3 players go into a corner. No compete. no grit and no defensive awareness. Gagner is easily the weakest link out of the 3, a player just needs to skate near him and it seems like he falls on his ass.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 02:23 PM
SoftDumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
Schultz jr
Eberle
Gagner

These 3 deserve to be sat in the PB, All 3 of them could be the softest players in the league. Its laughable to watch these 3 players go into a corner. No compete. no grit and no defensive awareness. Gagner is easily the weakest link out of the 3, a player just needs to skate near him and it seems like he falls on his ass.
Agree here. Especially on Sam. I usually think he brings at least an honest effort and some good skill, but as of late (injury be damned) he has been really tough to watch. Hemmer had a tough game against Calgary last night also. Really fought the puck and had a few dumb offsides.

SoftDumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
It all starts with Lowe..

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Neatman

It's really frustrating to me that Yakupov is getting handled pretty roughly (at least somewhat deservedly), but pretty much every other player gets away with playing like they're in Juniors.

They need to start getting ruthless with sitting guys and playing call-ups. We might lose a couple games because of it, but at least guys like Eberle will learn that they aren't at a country club.

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Hockey Nightmare

True, Kevin Lowe isn't accountable for anything so why should anyone else be.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Psychoil

whats accountability? never heard of this term before.

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Soundwave

Only if you're Russian or Swedish apparently.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

People want accountability. When acceptability happens, it's not the ones that the fans want to be held accountable.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Eberle somehow manages to put up points regardless. He's got what, 20 more points than Yak?

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
People want accountability. When acceptability happens, it's not the ones that the fans want to be held accountable.
I want to be held accountable for not liking who's held accountable.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

There is no accountability as far as I can see. Lots of great pre-season speeches though.

Eberle should sit a game to wake him up a bit. Same with a few others. I really cannot think of too many guys that shouldn't sit for a game to get a reset and kick in the pants.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
Yup..

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:04 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

The accountants are wearing out their calculators tallying up Katz money... does that count?

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:13 AM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

vCash: 1170
At least Eberle is putting up points, he's not paid to be tough in the corners, he's being paid to put up points. And he's somehow doing it, if we expect to win hockey games, someone needs to be scoring and Eberle is at least doing that.

Would I like him to be less soft? Of course, but at least his putting up points.

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:50 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
You mean Katz?

Promised to return this team to former glory. All he's done since is ensure they are in the sewer year after year, threatened to move the team if he didnt get his arena projected funded.........

**** you Katz.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 03:24 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You mean Katz?

Promised to return this team to former glory. All he's done since is ensure they are in the sewer year after year, threatened to move the team if he didnt get his arena projected funded.........

**** you Katz.
It's not really on the owner to manage the team. Lowe/Mac T sold this rebuild to Katz and haven't been able to deliver.

Katz got the Oilers a brand new arena, so dubious negotiating ploys or not, he got the job done there (unlike others), especially with an Edmonton city council that traditionally takes forever to do anything.

Last edited by Soundwave: 12-09-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 04:32 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Outside of Yakupov, Belov and a few other defensemen, is there such a thing as accountability?
those who get paid the most play the most so corporate meow-meows and season ticket holders keep seeing "the high price stars"

this happens in every single sport.

accountability on a team that is so weak is hilarious.
as if playing AHL players or dropping these kids minutes throughout this Lame Duck season really matters. "gotta make examples of them."

meh.

there's going to come a point when a few of the softies get dealt to the east so they can play in the Soft Conference. theyll thrive. the Oilers will get trash in return and Mac-T and Lowe will be telling us BS 5-6 years from now about how it's a hard market "optically" to generate a winning roster without "continuously building from within with draft assets"

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 06:25 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
It's not really on the owner to manage the team. Lowe/Mac T sold this rebuild to Katz and haven't been able to deliver.

Katz got the Oilers a brand new arena, so dubious negotiating ploys or not, he got the job done there (unlike others), especially with an Edmonton city council that traditionally takes forever to do anything.
Katz has allowed these idiots to run the team into the ground and apparently isnt going to intervene any time soon.

The team has never been worse ever in its history. Ive been watching the Oilers since I was a kid in the early seventies. Katz is by far the worst owner the team has ever seen. Worse than Pocklington even.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:04 AM
AJGass4

We all complain, but what would you do if you were Katz?

How do you fix this team? I mean, I don't want to trade any of the young guys because it's just far too soon to give up on them.

What are you going to get for the rest?

We have no real #1 goaltender and haven't for years. Why is that? Why is it that other teams find diamonds in the ruff and we have nothing? Scouting?

We have a bottom six that is barely NHL material and it's not like there isn't a ton of guys out there capable of playing there that can actually make this team better. Is it the GM? Is it Katz?

MacT went out and got guys that are far better than what we had last year and we still suck. Is it coaching? Do we fire a guy after 30 games. We've had multiple coaches and nothing changes.

I don't know what we do but it's disheartening to see the young guys get little or no support and they are trying to carry the whole team on their backs. How many other teams in the league do that?

We have no defencemen that can play solid enough defensively to even trust them four on four. That's the biggest issue for me. We have a bunch of a guys where a 3 goal lead isn't a safe bet for this team.

AJGass4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:07 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
We all complain, but what would you do if you were Katz?

How do you fix this team? I mean, I don't want to trade any of the young guys because it's just far too soon to give up on them.

What are you going to get for the rest?

We have no real #1 goaltender and haven't for years. Why is that? Why is it that other teams find diamonds in the ruff and we have nothing? Scouting?

We have a bottom six that is barely NHL material and it's not like there isn't a ton of guys out there capable of playing there that can actually make this team better. Is it the GM? Is it Katz?

MacT went out and got guys that are far better than what we had last year and we still suck. Is it coaching? Do we fire a guy after 30 games. We've had multiple coaches and nothing changes.

I don't know what we do but it's disheartening to see the young guys get little or no support and they are trying to carry the whole team on their backs. How many other teams in the league do that?

We have no defencemen that can play solid enough defensively to even trust them four on four. That's the biggest issue for me. We have a bunch of a guys where a 3 goal lead isn't a safe bet for this team.
I get rid of the inept management team and I get one of my astute business minds that I have working for me to do a search for suitable replacements.

Whoever I hire will be responsible for all the other stuff. I will trust them to do what's necessary.