HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Hamhuis going back to Milwaukee?

View Poll Results: Does Hamhuis go back to Milwaukee to start the season
Yes, Schnabel has been better so far and will take the six and final spot. 8 22.86%
No, Hamhuis has been better than Schnabel, the injury won't matter 16 45.71%
No, the Predators are going to keep 7 Dmen up and Hamhuis is one of them 9 25.71%
Yes, the Preds are going to keep 7 Dman up and two of Hutch/Murphy/Schnabel are better 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 08:01 AM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Is Hamhuis going back to Milwaukee?

I Hamhuis going back to Milwaukee to start the season? Schnabel has played great and if Trotz doesn't carry 7 Dmen, then it's between Hamhuis and Schnabel. With the slight groin pull to Hamhuis, does that make Schnabel the front runner for the spot?

Old
09-28-2003, 10:56 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I Hamhuis going back to Milwaukee to start the season? Schnabel has played great and if Trotz doesn't carry 7 Dmen, then it's between Hamhuis and Schnabel. With the slight groin pull to Hamhuis, does that make Schnabel the front runner for the spot?

I voted the first option because, simply, I don't want us to carry 7 dman.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:01 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

I'm the only one that voted: "No, the Predators are going to keep 7 Dmen up and Hamhuis is one of them", and will alternate the 6th defenseman against different teams, use Dan against certain teams and Schnabel against other teams

Old
09-28-2003, 11:10 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
I'm the only one that voted: "No, the Predators are going to keep 7 Dmen up and Hamhuis is one of them", and will alternate the 6th defenseman against different teams, use Dan against certain teams and Schnabel against other teams
So, you think we will keep 7 Dman but only dress 6? If so, I don't think we will keep Hamhuis up if he's only going to play in half or so of the games. Might as well keep him in Milwaukee if we are going to do that.

If we keep 7, we should play 7 and have Hamhuis in PP and Schnabel on PK and whoever plays better gets the nod as the number #6 on a shift to shift basis. The problem is they are so, so different that whoever the number 5 dman is, it will be a challenge for them to keep adjusting.

I wouldn't mind us doing this and only dressing 11 forwards and double shifting Legwand (or whomever is hot) on the 4th line. A Tootoo - Legwand - McKenzie line would be interesting to say the least.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'd much rather have Hamhuis then Schnabel back there ;/

Old
09-28-2003, 03:46 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I'd much rather have Hamhuis then Schnabel back there ;/
Yes, but in all fairness, just because someone looks/plays prettier doesn't mean they are more effective and that's what we are dealing with here. If Schnabel is better defensively and his offensive lackings don't smother the rest of our team, then we should go with him. He has looked really good (according to coaches) and there's no reason why we can't see what happens with him in the regular season. One more major physical presence on the Blue Line won't hurt.

And as much as I love Hamhuis, we need him to be a defenseman first, Offensive Defenseman second. We have Zids, Timonen, York and Eaton, all of whom will likely be on our PP. We need defensive Dmen more and that's what Hamhuis isn't...yet.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:09 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Yes, but in all fairness, just because someone looks/plays prettier doesn't mean they are more effective and that's what we are dealing with here. If Schnabel is better defensively and his offensive lackings don't smother the rest of our team, then we should go with him. He has looked really good (according to coaches) and there's no reason why we can't see what happens with him in the regular season. One more major physical presence on the Blue Line won't hurt.

And as much as I love Hamhuis, we need him to be a defenseman first, Offensive Defenseman second. We have Zids, Timonen, York and Eaton, all of whom will likely be on our PP. We need defensive Dmen more and that's what Hamhuis isn't...yet.
I know all of this, but I still would rather have him on the team. Schnabel will most likely start the season, and Hammer will likely be called up IMO to take his place mid-season or earlier.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:04 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

From what I've heard Hamhuis has looked better than Zidlicky and Schnabel but the Predators might let him develop a little more. If I'm Schnabel or Zidlicky though, I'm worried, the odds of Schnabel getting too many more chances are fairly slim.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:09 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
From what I've heard Hamhuis has looked better than Zidlicky and Schnabel but the Predators might let him develop a little more. If I'm Schnabel or Zidlicky though, I'm worried, the odds of Schnabel getting too many more chances are fairly slim.
to this point, big or not...i don't think schnabel is a good defenseman, at all. he's SORT OF physical, but i'd liken him to cale hulse at this point...but worse on his feet. i'd, ideally, like to see hamhuis make the team...but if not...carry six d-men and give the last job to allison.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:14 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
to this point, big or not...i don't think schnabel is a good defenseman, at all. he's SORT OF physical, but i'd liken him to cale hulse at this point...but worse on his feet. i'd, ideally, like to see hamhuis make the team...but if not...carry six d-men and give the last job to allison.
No offense nomo, but how can you even remotely judge a stay-at-home defenseman over the radio?

Old
09-29-2003, 07:46 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
No offense nomo, but how can you even remotely judge a stay-at-home defenseman over the radio?
well, it's half my own judgement, and half information from reliable sources that have been attending the games(in nashville, columbus, and richmond). i gave a couple of people a list of some players that i'd like impressions of, and schnabel was one of the bad reports that everyone seemed to agree on. don't get me wrong..i'm not rooting AGAINST him, i WANT us to have a big defenseman that can actually do his job...it just doesn't sound bright. i think that a lot of people assume he deserves a spot based solely on his size and not so much on his ability. it sets off warning bells when even ON the radio a player sounds bad(missed plays, out of position, etc...listen to the calls, and pay attention). i'm just not impressed with what i'm getting, so far.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:54 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
well, it's half my own judgement, and half information from reliable sources that have been attending the games(in nashville, columbus, and richmond). i gave a couple of people a list of some players that i'd like impressions of, and schnabel was one of the bad reports that everyone seemed to agree on. don't get me wrong..i'm not rooting AGAINST him, i WANT us to have a big defenseman that can actually do his job...it just doesn't sound bright. i think that a lot of people assume he deserves a spot based solely on his size and not so much on his ability. it sets off warning bells when even ON the radio a player sounds bad(missed plays, out of position, etc...listen to the calls, and pay attention). i'm just not impressed with what i'm getting, so far.
Fair enough. I'll just withhold judgement until I actually see him play. I've heard some of the same stuff, but I've heard a few good reports too, so with mixed reviews, I'll have to wait and see him for myself, I'm all for a not just big but FN huge dman, but not at the expence of the offensive flow or positioning.

Having said that I'd still prefer Hamhuis.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:04 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

You don't have to be huge to deliver bone-crushing hits. And I have seen a fair amount of Schnabel. He is big size alone can make a d-man hard to get around. But he is not a very good skater, and I have seen him take himself out of a few plays, too. Overall, I would rather have someone who can not only hit but skate and recover quickly, and play smart D. I don't see Schnabel fitting that bill. And the Preds should have plent of guys that can hit....

Old
09-30-2003, 06:40 AM
HyperSniper

Quote:
Ok, so now the article in the Tennessean today would lead one to expect Hamhuis to return to Milwaukee due to the lack of playing time from his injury. In the long-run however, I'd much rather have Hammy in the lineup.

Quote:
''I've been looking forward to watching Hamhuis play, but unfortunately he keeps getting hurt,'' Trotz said. ''So when it comes time to making decisions, maybe we just go with who's healthy. Maybe Dan goes down and plays well in Milwaukee and then comes up later in the year.''

Old
09-30-2003, 07:11 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperSniper
Ok, so now the article in the Tennessean today would lead one to expect Hamhuis to return to Milwaukee due to the lack of playing time from his injury. In the long-run however, I'd much rather have Hammy in the lineup.

Ya I think the injury probably bought him a fast track ticket back to the Ads; however, I think he will probably be the first call up of the season for us. I have seen him play a couple of times this season, and he has been fairly impressive. I have also seen Shcnabel. He didn't stand out, but that is good for a defensive D-man.

Old
09-30-2003, 07:15 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperSniper
Me, too but this appears to be the plan for now. I'm sure Hammy will be back once he's up to full speed.

Old
09-30-2003, 07:16 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1
Ya I think the injury probably bought him a fast track ticket back to the Ads; however, I think he will probably be the first call up of the season for us. I have seen him play a couple of times this season, and he has been fairly impressive. I have also seen Shcnabel. He didn't stand out, but that is good for a defensive D-man.
bear in mind, the article about Jan Lasak\the waiver draft seemed to suggest that Poile is going to see who is available as far as goalies AND defensemen go, which would suggest that he doesn't have total faith in Schnabel alone. Personally, I'd like to see Allison play defense rather than wing, over someone with less experience.

Old
09-30-2003, 09:05 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
bear in mind, the article about Jan Lasak\the waiver draft seemed to suggest that Poile is going to see who is available as far as goalies AND defensemen go, which would suggest that he doesn't have total faith in Schnabel alone. Personally, I'd like to see Allison play defense rather than wing, over someone with less experience.
They have also said a lot of good things about Hutch; however, I think Hutch will more than likely be back playing for the Ads another season.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:31 PM
Epoch

I hope he doesn't get sent back, He deserves to be on the Preds roster now.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:45 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Recent talk in the fishwrapper has me concerned about the opening night D having Schnabel in and sending Hammy back to the Ads. I personally would rather they put Hamhuis on injured reserve and let him stay with the team in the short term IF he has won a roster spot. The confidence impact of sending him down could be very serious...

Closed Thread