HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nashville / New York Rangers

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-08-2013, 12:08 PM
  #1
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,033
vCash: 500
Nashville / New York Rangers

I've brought this trade up a couple of times on the Rangers board. Wondering how my logic looks:



Kevin Klein



Michael Del Zotto

Reasoning for the Rangers:

Influx of LHD, Del Zotto right now not only appears to be the odd man out, but also carries the most value between himself, John Moore, and Justin Falk. Adds another veteran RHD to the mix. Though Klein is struggling, he'd be a third-pairing guy on the Rangers. Solid veteran presence on a good contract.

Reasoning for the Predators:

With the surplus of RHD, trading for a young, puck-moving defenseman like Del Zotto removes a RHD and adds a LHD. This allows the Predators to move Seth Jones back to RD.

Kind of a moot discussion though, as the reports seem to indicate that the Rangers are looking for a forward in return for Del Zotto. I think they'd be better off swapping him for a RHD. Especially with Dan Girardi's future in Rangers blue up in the air.

silverfish is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 12:11 PM
  #2
Canadian Canuck
Jake Virtanen
 
Canadian Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,068
vCash: 768
No for Nashville

Canadian Canuck is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 12:51 PM
  #3
tulsytrid1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Murfreesbo Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I've brought this trade up a couple of times on the Rangers board. Wondering how my logic looks:



Kevin Klein



Michael Del Zotto

Reasoning for the Rangers:

Influx of LHD, Del Zotto right now not only appears to be the odd man out, but also carries the most value between himself, John Moore, and Justin Falk. Adds another veteran RHD to the mix. Though Klein is struggling, he'd be a third-pairing guy on the Rangers. Solid veteran presence on a good contract.

Reasoning for the Predators:

With the surplus of RHD, trading for a young, puck-moving defenseman like Del Zotto removes a RHD and adds a LHD. This allows the Predators to move Seth Jones back to RD.

Kind of a moot discussion though, as the reports seem to indicate that the Rangers are looking for a forward in return for Del Zotto. I think they'd be better off swapping him for a RHD. Especially with Dan Girardi's future in Rangers blue up in the air.
No thank you from the Preds.

tulsytrid1 is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 01:23 PM
  #4
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,564
vCash: 500
Nashville doesn't need a player like MDZ. In fact, I'd say we could use another player like Klein. Definite no.

Paranoid Android is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 01:32 PM
  #5
Josh3217
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
MDZ has more value than Klein but Preds say no.

Josh3217 is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 01:55 PM
  #6
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,215
vCash: 500
MDZ, Brass, 2nd for Jones, RHD prospect or someone with grit/toughness

dethomas07 is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 01:58 PM
  #7
GeauxPreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 708
vCash: 500
Klein is more valuable to the predators than he is to most other teams. After Klein and Weber lets look at the predators blue line

Josi(second year of nhl, also concern about his concussion history in general)
Jones(true rookie, while playing great he still makes typical rookie mistakes)
Ellis(2nd year of nhl, plays mostly sheltered and PP minutes, undersized)
Bartley(2nd year of nhl after being called up last year, ok 3rd pairing guy)
Ekholm(first year in nhl, still needs to develop quite a bit)

Kleins stability and veteran presence on the second pair is huge right now as 2/3rds of our blue-line is only in their second season of NHL action, particularly when defensemen generally take much longer to develop than forwards

Secondly, I'm not quite sure where you get that Klein is struggling

Third, Klein is on a hometown discount for long term, he isn't going to be shipped out cheap

4th this season has already shown that it doesn't particularly matter what hand jones is playing on and that people look into it far too much.

As much as people see that we have Jones and suddenly think klein is expendable, he really isn't barring some serious overpayment. He means far too much to the team right now, and as I said earlier, much more to the preds than probably anyone trying to acquire him.

GeauxPreds is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 02:24 PM
  #8
Soundgarden
Registered User
 
Soundgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 6,254
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
MDZ, Brass, 2nd for Jones, RHD prospect or someone with grit/toughness
Jones isn't going anywhere and we certainly wouldn't add another prospect him. He's a 30 minute defender who just turned 19 in October.

A for the op's proposal, no. We don't need del Zotto, unless you're also offering up a good young forward we'd hold on to Klein.

Soundgarden is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 02:30 PM
  #9
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
MDZ, Brass, 2nd for Jones, RHD prospect or someone with grit/toughness
There's absolutely nothing on the Rangers the Preds would trade Jones for, outside of McDonagh which isn't happening.

__________________
Official 2014-15 Dan Girardi Own Goal Tally: 0

"It's Mario Götze!" -Ian Darke
Machinehead is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 02:41 PM
  #10
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,090
vCash: 500
I would part with Brassard for Klein.

Savant is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 02:44 PM
  #11
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
I would part with Brassard for Klein.
And I would part with Boyle for Crosby, but nobody is gonna agree to either of those.

Machinehead is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 02:51 PM
  #12
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
And I would part with Boyle for Crosby, but nobody is gonna agree to either of those.
I don't think brassard for Klein is that far off to be honest. Nashville needs young forwards especially at center. Rangers could certainly add a bit but it certainly isn't Crosby for Boyle level.

Savant is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 02:54 PM
  #13
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
I don't think brassard for Klein is that far off to be honest. Nashville needs young forwards especially at center. Rangers could certainly add a bit but it certainly isn't Crosby for Boyle level.
Brassard for Klein has no chance. The Predators need what they've lacked for years: a legitimate top end talent. Not another makes-a-Gretzky-play-once-in-awhile project. They have no need for Brassard.

Machinehead is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 02:55 PM
  #14
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
I don't think brassard for Klein is that far off to be honest. Nashville needs young forwards especially at center. Rangers could certainly add a bit but it certainly isn't Crosby for Boyle level.
Nashville needs legit top line forwards. More 40-50 point max guys just adds to the pitiful collection we already have.

Iron Duke is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 03:10 PM
  #15
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Brassard for Klein has no chance. The Predators need what they've lacked for years: a legitimate top end talent. Not another makes-a-Gretzky-play-once-in-awhile project. They have no need for Brassard.
It's Kevin Klein they are trading for. Not Seth Jones. Come on people.

Savant is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 03:10 PM
  #16
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Rather have MDZ over Klein.

Sick of the what have you done for me lately. AV needs to play him and get a grip. Kid was a stud last year.

Puckface NYR* is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 03:21 PM
  #17
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
It's Kevin Klein they are trading for. Not Seth Jones. Come on people.
Klein is a really good player. He's comparable to Girardi but will cost alot less.

Machinehead is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 03:38 PM
  #18
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Nashville needs legit top line forwards. More 40-50 point max guys just adds to the pitiful collection we already have.
This is why Stepan + for Seth Jones +, if we can agree on the +s, is a win-win.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 03:42 PM
  #19
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes
 
Daley Tarasenkshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,662
vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3217 View Post
MDZ has more value than Klein but Preds say no.
This.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 03:54 PM
  #20
Soundgarden
Registered User
 
Soundgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 6,254
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
This is why Stepan + for Seth Jones +, if we can agree on the +s, is a win-win.
You've suggested that trade several times. We're treating Jones like a Tavares, or Stamkos, he's not leaving, and we're certainly not adding anything to him in a trade.

Soundgarden is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 04:03 PM
  #21
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
You've suggested that trade several times. We're treating Jones like a Tavares, or Stamkos, he's not leaving, and we're certainly not adding anything to him in a trade.
I never said the pluses on each side have to be equal. They are there for balance -- likely med- big add from NY and small add from NP.

You and a handful have steadfastly been opposed to moving him.
I could be wrong, but I get the impression most of your base on the board, are willing to consider, but it would depend on what the add is.

I am not willing to do crazy add to Stepan, like Kreider.

But I would consider Marc Staal and something smaller.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 04:05 PM
  #22
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
This is why Stepan + for Seth Jones +, if we can agree on the +s, is a win-win.
Considering the current direction of the team, I see no chance the Preds seriously entertain offers for Jones. I'd find Weber being moved, and the team building around Jones/Josi long-term, to be more plausible.

Iron Duke is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 04:08 PM
  #23
Gerbefied
#NeverForgetFedun
 
Gerbefied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 4,049
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
This is why Stepan + for Seth Jones +, if we can agree on the +s, is a win-win.
Thats going to have to be a large plus for New York...

Gerbefied is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 04:11 PM
  #24
Soundgarden
Registered User
 
Soundgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 6,254
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
I never said the pluses on each side have to be equal. They are there for balance -- likely med- big add from NY and small add from NP.

You and a handful have steadfastly been opposed to moving him.
I could be wrong, but I get the impression most of your base on the board, are willing to consider, but it would depend on what the add is.

I am not willing to do crazy add to Stepan, like Kreider.

But I would consider Marc Staal and something smaller.
Why, would we consider moving him? He's 19 and should be considered an elite prospect, not unlike Tavares or Stamkos. You don't have a big enough plus for us to consider I'd think.

Stephan and Kreider is not a crazy offer, and that's what it'd take.
Weber would be easier to obtain, but still it'd take a large overpayment which wouldn't be worth it.

Soundgarden is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 04:17 PM
  #25
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Considering the current direction of the team, I see no chance the Preds seriously entertain offers for Jones. I'd find Weber being moved, and the team building around Jones/Josi long-term, to be more plausible.
I would agree with you 100% except for 1 thing.
That contract is a killer.
Forget now. Down the road.

Shea Weber could still be killing it after upwards of nearly 10 more years, but in his late 30s by then, also true he could be another Drury before end of that contract.

Too risky. Esp. for teams w/some major numbers: Lundqvist, Nash, etc.

Yeah, a team like Edmonton based on current need might overpay for him now, and pay the piper later. But that is the current situation. Long term risk of Weber comes with the territory whoever takes him on.

In that case, is Jones a luxury you can afford, or is he worth the right return?

Paradoxically, if no Weber to begin with, I see even less reason for Nashville to move Jones -- he fills a need for 1RD, so why rob Peter and his production at RD to pay Paul for needs elsewhere? Coke for Pepsi. Less likely to be worthwhile.
But duplication of highest quality 1RD, which, ok you can put Jones off to 1LD or to 2D, which, depending upon minutes played, could be diluted use of assets.

bernmeister is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.