HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calvin de Haan

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2014, 06:46 PM
  #276
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 16,534
vCash: 500
He's been out MVP on the blue line but he still has not had a full seaso. In the NHL and a track recorded. I would do a 2-3 year bridge contract.


Of course Snow could try for longer term now thinking CDH is only goin to get better that way the contract will be "cheap" after a few years. Isles special.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 07:36 PM
  #277
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
He's been out MVP on the blue line but he still has not had a full seaso. In the NHL and a track recorded. I would do a 2-3 year bridge contract.


Of course Snow could try for longer term now thinking CDH is only going to get better that way the contract will be "cheap" after a few years. Isles special.
I remember this thread, only last time it was Okposo Bailey and Grabner.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 08:38 PM
  #278
redbull
respect, earned.
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Missed the game and only skimmed through the DVR. CdH was looking quite aggressive offensively late in the game and OT.

How was he today? Is it still Calvin de Haan for the Norris?
He was excellent. As usual. Best defenseman on the team and that will probably include Visnovsky. Easy to take him for granted because he's been so good, consistent, game after game.

And the PP is horridly awful, but was much better with the second unit, primarily because of deHaan and Donovan (Donovan is also playing much better of late)

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 09:23 PM
  #279
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,716
vCash: 500
CD is the best defenseman on the team right now and boy can he skate. I love the way he uses his body rather than stick check. He's calm and fearless I only worry that with his style of play that can be reckless in a good way offensively for the most part that he stays healthy.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 09:33 PM
  #280
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,974
vCash: 500
Imagine if he becomes our McDonagh? Our blueline could be stacked in 2 years.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 09:53 PM
  #281
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk
 
IslesRock4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 21,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
He was excellent. As usual. Best defenseman on the team and that will probably include Visnovsky. Easy to take him for granted because he's been so good, consistent, game after game.

And the PP is horridly awful, but was much better with the second unit, primarily because of deHaan and Donovan (Donovan is also playing much better of late)
I'm dreaming of a healthy Vis paired with CdH, logging major minutes. So much silky skating and smooth transition.

What pairings do you want to see if the hockey gods cure Hamonic and Visnovsky before the Olympic break? de Haan and Hamonic were playing so well together, it will be hard not to go back to that. Then maybe give MacDonald a try with Visnovsky, although I'd love it if he were traded once we got our #2 and #3 defensemen back and slot Strait or Hickey with Lubo.

__________________

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 10:26 PM
  #282
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
I'm dreaming of a healthy Vis paired with CdH, logging major minutes. So much silky skating and smooth transition.

What pairings do you want to see if the hockey gods cure Hamonic and Visnovsky before the Olympic break? de Haan and Hamonic were playing so well together, it will be hard not to go back to that. Then maybe give MacDonald a try with Visnovsky, although I'd love it if he were traded once we got our #2 and #3 defensemen back and slot Strait or Hickey with Lubo.
You can't split up CdH and Hamonic, their skillsets and previous/developing chemistry match together so well. They were going up against the other team's best and were doing the job to start out the run. As long as they are healthy, they are a pair that you keep together for years.

Visnovsky's return is huge because he is able to truly lead a pairing and can shelter the other d-man the way CdH can. Hickey was a good partner for him last year, but I think Strait might be better since he's more physical and isn't as susceptible to being overpowered. Still, our defense would no longer be hot garbage.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 10:33 PM
  #283
BTrotts19
Registered User
 
BTrotts19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 3,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
I'm dreaming of a healthy Vis paired with CdH, logging major minutes. So much silky skating and smooth transition.

What pairings do you want to see if the hockey gods cure Hamonic and Visnovsky before the Olympic break? de Haan and Hamonic were playing so well together, it will be hard not to go back to that. Then maybe give MacDonald a try with Visnovsky, although I'd love it if he were traded once we got our #2 and #3 defensemen back and slot Strait or Hickey with Lubo.
I would have it slightly different. I would be comfortable with :

Hammer-CdH
Viz-Strait
Hickey-AMac (Carkner/Martinek)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it-keep Hammer and CdH together. I think having Strait with Viz gives him a little bit of freedom to create offensively. Hickey with AMac puts these guys in a position to succeed by having them where they are suited for. If AMac gets traded, we live with Carkner or Martinek alternating.

BTrotts19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 10:42 PM
  #284
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 16,534
vCash: 500
de Haan and Hammer complement each other well....Hammer has been leaps and bounds better since he has not had AMAC sucking the life out of him...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:03 PM
  #285
BigWorm
Registered User
 
BigWorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTrotts19 View Post
I would have it slightly different. I would be comfortable with :

Hammer-CdH
Viz-Strait
Hickey-AMac (Carkner/Martinek)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it-keep Hammer and CdH together. I think having Strait with Viz gives him a little bit of freedom to create offensively. Hickey with AMac puts these guys in a position to succeed by having them where they are suited for. If AMac gets traded, we live with Carkner or Martinek alternating.
I agree with most of your post but Hickey and Amac together was a train wreck. Two smaller stature defenseman that get shoved all over the ice is not an ideal pairing.

Watching either of these players trying to keep the crease cleared can result in NIS (negative islander syndrome). Putting them together is a recipe for disaster, just look at the past.

BigWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:35 AM
  #286
Sheva7
Registered User
 
Sheva7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
It's gotta be Vis and Hickey. Those 2 guys were money last year. Our best pairing by far at the time.

CDH-Hammer
Vis-Hick
Strait-AMac
(Donovan/Carkner)

Seeing AMac there is such an eye sore. I can't wait till Reinhart takes that spot next year.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:49 AM
  #287
sebsisles
Registered User
 
sebsisles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: long island
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
anyone think dehann should take amacs spot on the 1st power play unit?

sebsisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:54 AM
  #288
Sheva7
Registered User
 
Sheva7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Nevermind his spot on the PP...
AMac should be carrying CDH's bag/sticks to the rink, filling his water bottle and tieing his skates for him.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 01:47 AM
  #289
redbull
respect, earned.
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebsisles View Post
anyone think dehann should take amacs spot on the 1st power play unit?
OH HELL YES.

deHaan would be amazing with Vanek Tavares and Nielsen out there especially. It's his lateral movements and passing that's required back there, not to mention his wrist shots to the net for rebounds and deflections. Vanek and Tavares would be amazing around the net, picking up garbage, rebounds and deflections.

AMac doesn't have great lateral movement, tends to rely on the slap shot that's usually blocked or way wide, and he's prone to turnovers.

You couldn't pick a worse dman to play the point, except maybe Carkner.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
It's gotta be Vis and Hickey. Those 2 guys were money last year. Our best pairing by far at the time.

CDH-Hammer
Vis-Hick
Strait-AMac
(Donovan/Carkner)

Seeing AMac there is such an eye sore. I can't wait till Reinhart takes that spot next year.
Visnovky-Hickey were amazing last year and early this year, gotta think Capuano goes with that, but then again, who knows.

I thought Moulson-Tavares-Boyes was horrid but Cappy waited until the playoffs to change things. Then when it was obvious that Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo were the best line last year, he broke them up. Wild Card!

Assuming BOTH Visnovsky and Hamonic are back and everyone's healthy, the best six are: deHaan, Visnovsky, Hamonic, Hickey, Strait and MacDonald (Carkner and Donovan would be the odd men out)

I'd go with:
deHaan - Hamonic
Visnovsky - Hickey
MacDonald - Strait (though I'd probably trade AMac and play Donovan with Strait)

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 02:45 AM
  #290
MaryChristine*
27 91 21
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 1,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheva7 View Post
nevermind his spot on the pp...
Amac should be carrying cdh's bag/sticks to the rink, filling his water bottle and tieing his skates for him.
rofl

MaryChristine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 07:08 AM
  #291
simbo042
Registered User
 
simbo042's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Newcastle, UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 462
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
It's gotta be Vis and Hickey. Those 2 guys were money last year. Our best pairing by far at the time.

CDH-Hammer
Vis-Hick
Strait-AMac
(Donovan/Carkner)

Seeing AMac there is such an eye sore. I can't wait till Reinhart takes that spot next year.
My thoughts exactly. Although I'd be tempted to let Donovan skate occasionally making AMac sit for a bit...that guy must need a rest by now!

simbo042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 07:48 AM
  #292
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
You can't split up CdH and Hamonic, their skillsets and previous/developing chemistry match together so well. They were going up against the other team's best and were doing the job to start out the run. As long as they are healthy, they are a pair that you keep together for years.

Visnovsky's return is huge because he is able to truly lead a pairing and can shelter the other d-man the way CdH can. Hickey was a good partner for him last year, but I think Strait might be better since he's more physical and isn't as susceptible to being overpowered. Still, our defense would no longer be hot garbage.
I think you have to leave Strait and Amac together. Amac has really settled down since being partnered with Strait. I also think they will want to ease Vis back into things and have him on the third pairing with Hickey so they can regulate his minutes.
I say Hamonic/DeHaan
Amac/Strait
Vis/Hickey
The question becomes what do they do with Carkner, Donovan, and Martinek?

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 08:23 AM
  #293
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I think you have to leave Strait and Amac together. Amac has really settled down since being partnered with Strait. I also think they will want to ease Vis back into things and have him on the third pairing with Hickey so they can regulate his minutes.
I say Hamonic/DeHaan
Amac/Strait
Vis/Hickey
The question becomes what do they do with Carkner, Donovan, and Martinek?
Send Donovan down, Scratch Carkner and Martinek.

With any luck the Islanders have no use for Donovan and we can use him as a trade chip or just bolster Bridgeport.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 08:26 AM
  #294
luki here
Registered User
 
luki here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
I remember this thread, only last time it was Okposo Bailey and Grabner.
and hamonic and tavares and nielsen and...

I think you may have forgotten all the positive long term contracts.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 08:43 AM
  #295
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
and hamonic and tavares and nielsen and...

I think you may have forgotten all the positive long term contracts.
I didn't forget. Grabs Bailey and Okposo were all due at the same time. There were numerous threads as to what we should do. Hammer JT and Nielsen were all signed at different times.

Point is, Snow is really good at signing the hometown guys. Let's hope he can work his magic on Vanek. Imagine the main boards if Vanek signs for 8yrs 6.5M?

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 09:03 AM
  #296
BTrotts19
Registered User
 
BTrotts19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 3,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
I agree with most of your post but Hickey and Amac together was a train wreck. Two smaller stature defenseman that get shoved all over the ice is not an ideal pairing.

Watching either of these players trying to keep the crease cleared can result in NIS (negative islander syndrome). Putting them together is a recipe for disaster, just look at the past.
Pairing Viz and Hickey still leaves two mighty mites together. They were good together last year so can understand why guys want them back but with Viz another year older and coming off an injury, I would let him focus on running the offense and give him the bigger, more physical partner who is more defensively inclined. I also think Hickey and AMac would thrive in a 3rd pairing. AMac would not be up against many Top 6 forwards so they likelihood of abuse diminishes and Hickey could settle into what he is (5/6D). Yes, they would be a small pairing but the skillset would be less so they possibly could get away with some of limitations of being small. Until the big boys come up, we will have to live with one mighty mite pairing, so limit them to 3rd pairing.

BTrotts19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 10:30 AM
  #297
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTrotts19 View Post
Pairing Viz and Hickey still leaves two mighty mites together. They were good together last year so can understand why guys want them back but with Viz another year older and coming off an injury, I would let him focus on running the offense and give him the bigger, more physical partner who is more defensively inclined. I also think Hickey and AMac would thrive in a 3rd pairing. AMac would not be up against many Top 6 forwards so they likelihood of abuse diminishes and Hickey could settle into what he is (5/6D). Yes, they would be a small pairing but the skillset would be less so they possibly could get away with some of limitations of being small. Until the big boys come up, we will have to live with one mighty mite pairing, so limit them to 3rd pairing.
Hickey and Amac were already together and they were a train wreck. That's why they changed the pairings.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 12:01 PM
  #298
redbull
respect, earned.
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I think you have to leave Strait and Amac together. Amac has really settled down since being partnered with Strait. I also think they will want to ease Vis back into things and have him on the third pairing with Hickey so they can regulate his minutes.
I say Hamonic/DeHaan
Amac/Strait
Vis/Hickey
The question becomes what do they do with Carkner, Donovan, and Martinek?
AMac has played 27-30 min the last four games, they aren't regulating squat. Strait has played steady as usual and AMac has been less terrible....I suppose that's progress, not sure if they are related.

If you aren't nervous watching AMac on the ice, then you aren't paying attention (not you specifically bigd, but all isles fans)

I'm not worried about pairings if you play six good defensemen. Isles only have five and two are hurt.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 02:44 AM
  #299
giddy up*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,973
vCash: 500
I'm so impressed/happy with CDH's play. Really unexpected and makes our blue line look solid in the future. Add in Reinhart and a healthy Hammer and we've got a solid corps in a few years.

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 07:05 AM
  #300
cjdv16
Registered User
 
cjdv16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Swamp
Country: United States
Posts: 6,138
vCash: 500
Trying to temper it a bit, but much like everyone else, I've been so impressed with CDH. His poise, his positioning, his skating.

His strength has been a pleasant surprise. Didn't think he would be able to push back the way he has against the bigger, stronger, older, NHL players, but he's stood up well.

You can see the talent.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.