HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calvin de Haan

Old
12-11-2013, 11:53 AM
bigd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Which is ironic, considering how everyone thought the more young players we had in the lineup, the worse we would be. Even our young goaltending has given us a better chance to win than Nabby. Now the transition of one young player could potentially save our season. If we end up with another line that can score, our team could be a D-man or two(Vis and Strait) away from actually making a run at 3rd place.
We haven't been worse since Vis, Strait, and Nabby were replaced with rookies? I beg to differ.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 12:12 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
We haven't been worse since Vis, Strait, and Nabby were replaced with rookies? I beg to differ.
Not to mention replacing Streit with Donovan.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 12:18 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Visnovsky and Strait are different than PMB, Regin and Carkner/Martinek, who people wanted in the lineup instead of guys like Strome, Nelson and CdH, who some were against playing because they wanted to play it safe... or whatever excuse they gave.

..and yes, both Poulin and Nilsson have been better than Nabby. And I like Nabby.

I won't even bring up Reinhart, mainly because you whine every time I do(probably because you were so adamant about us not needing him).

Honestly, how do you think our defense would look right now without deHaan?

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 12:26 PM
bigd

Quote:

Visnovsky and Strait are different than PMB, Regin and Carkner/Martinek, who people wanted in the lineup instead of guys like Strome, Nelson and CdH, who some were against playing because they wanted to play it safe... or whatever excuse they gave.

..and yes, both Poulin and Nilsson have been better than Nabby. And I like Nabby.

I won't even bring up Reinhart, mainly because you whine every time I do(probably because you were so adamant about us not needing him).

Honestly, how do you think our defense would look right now without deHaan?
I like Dehaan but Ness and Donovan have not impressed. Poulin and Nilsson have looked ok. Poulin was great last night but both of them are still AHL goalies IMO. And you did bring up Reinhart, we'll save that discussion for next year. But back to our play, it has steadily gone down hill with all the rookies in for these injured players.

Old
12-11-2013, 12:28 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:
I like Dehaan but Ness and Donovan have not impressed. Poulin and Nilsson have looked ok. Poulin was great last night but both of them are still AHL goalies IMO. And you did bring up Reinhart, we'll save that discussion for next year. But back to our play, it has steadily gone down hill with all the rookies in for these injured players.
I agree with everything you said. The only Dman rookie I like so far is DeHaan. He looks like he belongs and has played very well. Donovan just doesn't have it at all. Ness has had some time up here before I believe but he doesn't look to belong either.

Poulin and Nilsson still need to be polished but Poulin certainly looked like he belonged last night. Lets hope this being thrown into the fire has helped him.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 12:35 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
I've never been a Ness fan, but I'd be lying if I said he hasn't surprised me. He's probably at best a number 6, but he's minimized his mistakes and has done a decent job providing depth. Donovan was pretty bad, but based on TC play I didn't even want him on the team. I thought Griff earned that spot.

Either way, my point is that the team looks much better when guys like deHaan and Nelson(guys who are expected to be big pieces here going forward) are getting quality playing time. I expect more of the same when Strome gets here.

Old
12-11-2013, 12:38 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
The only negative about de Haan is that he is playing to well. I see him sitting real soon for Martinek. Capuano hates playing rookies and loves those vets. Nelson 2.0 coming soon.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 12:56 PM
bigd

Stales reporting Strait could be back by the weekend so someone will have to go down. My guess is either Ness will go back to BP or Martinek will be waived. They won't waive Carkner and they won't send DeHaan down.

Old
12-11-2013, 01:12 PM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Stales reporting Strait could be back by the weekend so someone will have to go down. My guess is either Ness will go back to BP or Martinek will be waived. They won't waive Carkner and they won't send DeHaan down.
Ness has played well given my expectation for him. He's earned a longer look. Granted, he's nothing more than a bottom pairing dman, but given our lack of defenseman, perhaps he can stay for a longer period of time.

Carkner should go. Will he go? Probably not. So Martinek should be waived. Aside from that 2 assist game in Pitt, he's been nothing short of useless.

De Haan has been fantastic. No doubt from what I've seen of him in his stint, he's definitely earned a full time spot.

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 01:21 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Ness has played well given my expectation for him. He's earned a longer look. Granted, he's nothing more than a bottom pairing dman, but given our lack of defenseman, perhaps he can stay for a longer period of time.

Carkner should go. Will he go? Probably not. So Martinek should be waived. Aside from that 2 assist game in Pitt, he's been nothing short of useless.

De Haan has been fantastic. No doubt from what I've seen of him in his stint, he's definitely earned a full time spot.
Martinek may come down with a mysterious injury and go on IR.

Old
12-11-2013, 02:19 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Martinek may come down with a mysterious injury and go on IR.
Injuries? And Martinek? Naaaah. That will never fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
The only negative about de Haan is that he is playing to well. I see him sitting real soon for Martinek. Capuano hates playing rookies and loves those vets. Nelson 2.0 coming soon.
For deHaan to see more ice than AMac - no way he's being sent down. He's golden boy now, paired with Hamonic. He's looking exactly like I'd hoped he would have when he was drafted, admittedly not as offensive (yet) but poised and smart.

Quote:
Which is ironic, considering how everyone thought the more young players we had in the lineup, the worse we would be. Even our young goaltending has given us a better chance to win than Nabby. Now the transition of one young player could potentially save our season. If we end up with another line that can score, our team could be a D-man or two(Vis and Strait) away from actually making a run at 3rd place.
I agree. Besides Visnovsky being out, the goaltending has been as good, if not better, than what Nabby was giving us. Nabby's a vet and still a good goalie and maybe he would have won a couple of games where Poulin and Nilsson didn't play well, but for the most part, the young goalies have been very good and remain promising.

It's the vets that have sucked, players like MacDonald (and by association his partner Hamonic) playing all those minutes and making mistakes that was a problem. The complete lack of production from Bailey, Grabner, even Nielsen hasn't been good. Bouchard, Regin have been horrible.

Even though Clutterbuck, Cizikas, Martin, McDonald have worked hard, these are not game changers.

If Strome and Nelson can get the secondary scoring going, and deHaan, Visnovsky, Strait, along with Hamonic and Hickey can help stabilize the defense, this team would be much better.

It's a long season.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 02:25 PM
LAPPY13

Assuming DeHaan can stay healthy from what I have seen of him (6 games) he looks to have a bright future as a top 4 NHL d-man. Very steady in own zone and smooth with the puck. See him as being more of puck moving very steady defensive defensemen as a NHL player than being a point producer but like what I have seen. Not sure if worth being the 12 overall pick but a nice player that can help the Islanders.

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 03:00 PM
bluechipbonzo

Why did Garf waste all those draft picks on dehaan???

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 03:02 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPPY13 View Post
Assuming DeHaan can stay healthy from what I have seen of him (6 games) he looks to have a bright future as a top 4 NHL d-man. Very steady in own zone and smooth with the puck. See him as being more of puck moving very steady defensive defensemen as a NHL player than being a point producer but like what I have seen. Not sure if worth being the 12 overall pick but a nice player that can help the Islanders.
De Haan's play is the most positive news to come out of this season.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 03:02 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

de haan has probably been the most impressive rookie for me this year so far (hope that changes when strome comes up )...he has looked LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than i was expecting....i always knew he had talent, but with their hesitancy to bring him up, and the bad reports coming from the bridge, i was not expecting that talent to translate...

his skating might already be the best on the team (speed goes to grabner, but overall i give it to de haan), his IQ is right up there after JT and he has been one of our most physical d-men since he has come up

if he can improve this season, work on some things this off season (his shot, and work on ways to avoid being flatfooted) i believe he should be able to be a #4 d-man as early as next year

if/when strait and vis come back, it better be carkner waived, and one of martinek/Aness sent down....i know they will still have to pay carks, but any team that has winning prioritized over budget would make that move

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 03:32 PM
LAPPY13

Of the 3 D-men- DeHaan, Donovan, and Ness the only one that I feel has a bright future as a full time NHL defensemen its CALVIN DEHAAN.

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 04:11 PM
YearlyLottery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Not to mention replacing Streit with Donovan.
This was one of the biggest problems with the offseason..... Can't beileve they expected a rookie to replace Streit

YearlyLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 04:19 PM
TeamKidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
It's the vets that have sucked, players like MacDonald (and by association his partner Hamonic) playing all those minutes and making mistakes that was a problem. The complete lack of production from Bailey, Grabner, even Nielsen hasn't been good. Bouchard, Regin have been horrible.

Even though Clutterbuck, Cizikas, Martin, McDonald have worked hard, these are not game changers.
I agree. Defense has been terrible, but it's been a combination of players being asked to play above their heads (AMAC) and vet players PAID to PRODUCE who didnt (PMB, BAILEY, GRABNER, REGIN) that have sunk this team. You simply cannot have that much dead weight on your top 9 and hope to thrive. they have to score at least OCCASIONALLY to be playing in the NHL. grabner and bailey have been the biggest disappointments. I never expected much out of the rest.

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 04:41 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Injuries? And Martinek? Naaaah. That will never fly.

For deHaan to see more ice than AMac - no way he's being sent down. He's golden boy now, paired with Hamonic. He's looking exactly like I'd hoped he would have when he was drafted, admittedly not as offensive (yet) but poised and smart.

I agree. Besides Visnovsky being out, the goaltending has been as good, if not better, than what Nabby was giving us. Nabby's a vet and still a good goalie and maybe he would have won a couple of games where Poulin and Nilsson didn't play well, but for the most part, the young goalies have been very good and remain promising.

If Strome and Nelson can get the secondary scoring going, and deHaan, Visnovsky, Strait, along with Hamonic and Hickey can help stabilize the defense, this team would be much better.

It's a long season.
But this Cappy were talking about. de Haan is just too damn good to be playing. We must see more Martinek and Carkner and Finley!!!!!

Seriously what are we looking at when Strait and Vis come back?

CDH/Ham
Amac/Vis
Strait/Hickey?

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 05:29 PM
seabass45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
But this Cappy were talking about. de Haan is just too damn good to be playing. We must see more Martinek and Carkner and Finley!!!!!

Seriously what are we looking at when Strait and Vis come back?

CDH/Ham
Amac/Vis
Strait/Hickey?
CDH/Ham
Hickey/Vis (it worked last season)
Strait/AMac

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 12:54 AM
seafoam

vCash: 50
I think the points are going to start coming in bunches for him and I can't really put a tab on his potential.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 01:26 AM
Stumpy32

I love CDH. Have ever since I watched him play against the Devs in preseason his draft year. I remember thinking how calm he was with the puck and how he always but himself in good position without it. If not for his need to bulk up a little more I thought he could step in then. I'm glad he is here and hope he can stay healthy because he is gonna be outstanding.

Stumpy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 06:34 AM
rikker

i have purposely held back in my assessment. wanted to see more.

never saw him play before, except at the juniors. liked what i saw, but was bit disappointed that we didn't draft more size. was worried about his durability, after a few injuries.

after a month of watching him, i am very impressed. not only is he what i was hoping for, but he is more. his physicality is a pleasant surprise. and for a young guy, he is very consistent. very few lapses.

going into this year, i was doubtful that he had a future with us. i was drooling over our big, young Dmen, and thought that he would be lucky to get more than a few years with us.

boy was i wrong. he looks like a keeper. honestly, i think we would be a half dozen points lower, if he hadn't shown up when he did. too bad that he didn't come up instead of Donovan. we would probably have half a dozen more points.

nice to see him get a few points recently. he deserves them.

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Jester9881

Still waiting for Fred to put him on the powerplay. That is where you will really see what he has to offer, offensively. I actually think He and Donovan would work well as a pair on the PP.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 08:03 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Funny how things change. No way would I ever deal deHaan straight up for Kulikov. Maybe Snow and Co. were right after all?