HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heatly in a car accident

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 06:15 AM
M00se

vCash: 500
Heatly in a car accident

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1626742

Heatly was in an accident last night. He is in stable condition with a broken jaw. however Dan Snyder was with him and was thrown from the car and is in critical condition, obviously not wearing his seatbelt. Heatly's Ferrari was ripped in half. According to CHED Heatly is being charged with reckless driving. Hope everyone is going to be OK.

Old
09-30-2003, 09:05 AM
Freakey Styley

wow, just like 5 days ago, i made fun of one of my buddies who's in a hockey pool with me, and he was so proud that heatley was on the cover of nhl 2004 and i told him about the ea sports cursed and he said no way not heatley, damn- ea curse is starting to really scare me

Old
09-30-2003, 09:08 AM
serum114

The charges have now been expanded. He is facing one felony charge of "driving causing injury" which, if convicted, could land him in jail for 1-15 years. Now, Heatly is one of my favourite young players in the NHL, however I hope he is convicted and spends at least a year in prison.

He is fortunate it was only him and Snyder that were hurt. Going 130 in a 60 zone at 10:30 pm in a reisdential area is stupid, careless and dangerous. I don't care if it was Heatly, LeBron James or Joe Schmo, anyone who pulls that kind of ***** should have a year or three to think about it.

It seems Heatly is out of the woods, escaping with a broken jaw and minor injuries, however the word on Snyder is a partially crushed skull, other serious injuries and critical condition. I hope against hope he's alright and makes it through.

If he doesn't, Heatly may well become a "what if..." as he will spend his career behind bars rather than on the ice.

A terrible day for the NHL, for hockey fans and the Thrashers organization. I hope everything works itself out in the best way possible.

Old
09-30-2003, 09:09 AM
Freakey Styley

just to be sure, i'm not mocking the injury, it's just that it's kinda scary cause i predicted it

Old
09-30-2003, 09:11 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I love Heatley as a player, but I lost a tonne of respect for him as a person.

That is uncalled for, and as mean as it is to say, he got what he deserved.... plus hopefully more on the way.

Old
09-30-2003, 09:43 AM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
Well,

If you do the do, you get the get.

It's gonna be tough not having Heatley around for a while but jail will be a good learning experience for someone as young as him who has clearly made one REALLY stupid mistake.

Likely a change of scenery will be in order once he serves his time. Who better to help a formerly incarcerated player build their life back then the Oilers?

I know, it's a selfish thing to think right now. But I can't help it. We did wonders for MacT - Heatley could be next :-)

Old
09-30-2003, 09:52 AM
mudcrutch79

A quote from Dawgbone:"I love Heatley as a player, but I lost a tonne of respect for him as a person.

That is uncalled for, and as mean as it is to say, he got what he deserved.... plus hopefully more on the way."

Hmm, I'm guessing you're either kind of young and immature, or old and uptight. There have been no reports of alcohol being involved, so essentially he was driving 130 in a 60 zone. Stupid? Undoubtedly. Is this something unique to Dany Heatley, or more common amongst young men in general? Its stupid to blame Heatley just because he had the bad luck to have an accident. Obviously he's going to pay the price, but my reaction, and the reaction of most people who remember being young and foolish, is there but for the grace of God go I...

Hope that they both recover fully, and make returns to the NHL.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:01 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
I know, it's a selfish thing to think right now. But I can't help it. We did wonders for MacT - Heatley could be next :-)
I actually never heard about the MacT thing. Could you enlighten me?

Old
09-30-2003, 10:08 AM
Jewelly

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
I actually never heard about the MacT thing. Could you enlighten me?
5th. post down:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...034#post260034

Old
09-30-2003, 10:14 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrutch79
A quote from Dawgbone:"I love Heatley as a player, but I lost a tonne of respect for him as a person.

That is uncalled for, and as mean as it is to say, he got what he deserved.... plus hopefully more on the way."

Hmm, I'm guessing you're either kind of young and immature, or old and uptight. There have been no reports of alcohol being involved, so essentially he was driving 130 in a 60 zone. Stupid? Undoubtedly. Is this something unique to Dany Heatley, or more common amongst young men in general? Its stupid to blame Heatley just because he had the bad luck to have an accident. Obviously he's going to pay the price, but my reaction, and the reaction of most people who remember being young and foolish, is there but for the grace of God go I...

Hope that they both recover fully, and make returns to the NHL.
Lol... young and immature... so me being a 24 year old who thinks that someone doing something like that is an idiot makes me immature? I am missing the boat on this one.

Whether you lose control of a car doing 130 and sober, or 130 and drunk, it doesn't make it any less serious, dangerous or stupid.

Regardless of if other people do it, it doesn't diminish the fact that it is wrong. Someone got seriously hurt in this accident, and it is partially the fault of Heatley.

That isn't bad luck... that is stupidity in one of it's purest forms. Yeah, bad stuff tends to happen when you do stupid things... that isn't bad luck, that is the law of averages. Justifying this really scares me... I really hope you don't have a son, because this would be a terrible attitude to instill in him:

"You can do stupid stuff, but don't worry, if anything bad happens you can chalk it up to bad luck."

BTW... I should clarify what I meant when I said hopefully more is on the way... I meant criminal charges, not injury.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:17 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelly
Thank you. Now I remember hearing something about that.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:25 AM
serum114

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Lol... young and immature... so me being a 24 year old who thinks that someone doing something like that is an idiot makes me immature? I am missing the boat on this one.

Whether you lose control of a car doing 130 and sober, or 130 and drunk, it doesn't make it any less serious, dangerous or stupid.

Regardless of if other people do it, it doesn't diminish the fact that it is wrong. Someone got seriously hurt in this accident, and it is partially the fault of Heatley.

That isn't bad luck... that is stupidity in one of it's purest forms. Yeah, bad stuff tends to happen when you do stupid things... that isn't bad luck, that is the law of averages. Justifying this really scares me... I really hope you don't have a son, because this would be a terrible attitude to instill in him:

"You can do stupid stuff, but don't worry, if anything bad happens you can chalk it up to bad luck."

BTW... I should clarify what I meant when I said hopefully more is on the way... I meant criminal charges, not injury.

Amen.

Well put dawgbone. I agree 100%. Heatly may have been doing what "every kid does" but every kid that wraps his car around a pole, crushing his passenger's skull in the process is just as stupid as Heatly and should face the full force of the law.

Undoubtedly his sobriety, fame and (presumably) clean record to this point will lead his sentence to be much closer to the 1 year minimum than the 15 year maximum, however if he somehow avoids jail time I will be apalled.

The charge he is facing is "driving causing serious injury." I don't even think Johnnie Cochrane could beat that in this case.

For the record, I'm a 23-year-old, I've had 5 speeding tickets since I was 18 and I lost a friend in high school to the same kind of accident. His car wrapped around a light standard on the highway between Calgary and Cochrane (just past Scenic Acres for the Calgarians on here). The driver lived and, as he was 18, got 3 years in prison. Deservedly so in my opinion.

Just so you know where my biases (if there are any) come from here.

My 2 cents...

Old
09-30-2003, 10:36 AM
Jewelly

vCash:
IMO Heatly was not in a car "accident" as some people suggest.

Accident:

chance: the way things happen without any planning, apparent cause, or deliberate intent

mishap: an unplanned and unfortunate event that results in damage, injury, or upset of some kind

chance happening: an event that happens completely by chance, with no planning or deliberate intent

In other words... Heatly's car crash could have been totally avoided if he were abiding by the laws set out for motor vehicle drivers.

On the other hand: my brother died in a true car accident. The driver that hit and killed him was doing the speed limit, was not intoxicated and was not reckless.

It was a dark rainy night, the road was unlit, my brother was wearing dark clothing (he was a pedestrian) and the driver 'accidentally' hit and killed him.

His death was a misfortune, mischance, fluke, serendipity.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:38 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
[QUOTE=Jewelly]IMO Heatly was not in a car "accident" as some people suggest.

Accident:

chance: the way things happen without any planning, apparent cause, or deliberate intent

mishap: an unplanned and unfortunate event that results in damage, injury, or upset of some kind

chance happening: an event that happens completely by chance, with no planning or deliberate intent

QUOTE]

I guess if you look in Healteys journal, it says that on the 29th of Sept he and Snyder had a little crash planned, right?

Old
09-30-2003, 10:41 AM
Jewelly

vCash:
[QUOTE=aylib]
Quote:
IMO Heatly was not in a car "accident" as some people suggest.

Accident:

QUOTE]

I guess if you look in Healteys journal, it says that on the 29th of Sept he and Snyder had a little crash planned, right?
Obviously missed my point; I hope others haven't.

As someone has already stated: bad things happen when you do stupid things... no accident really.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:42 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Quote:
Obviously missed my point; I hope others haven't.

As someone has already stated: bad things happen when you do stupid things... no accident really.
Like I said, he was obviously planning it.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:42 AM
Jewelly

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aylib
Like I said, he was obviously planning it.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

let's just pray then dan snyder will be ok, and worry about the law side of things when the health side of things is sorted out.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:44 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Quote:
I dont know where you come up with ideas. Obviously if you speed at 80 in a 30 mph zone something like this might happen. But to say that was not an accident is unreal.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:50 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
I dont know where you come up with ideas. Obviously if you speed at 80 in a 30 mph zone something like this might happen. But to say that was not an accident is unreal.
Are you Heatley's brother or something?

Please read the message, it isn't black and white between on purpose and by accident.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:51 AM
aylib
User and abuser

I am going to break it down for you, Jewely. Accident and a car accident are two different things, so if you are looking in your dictionary, please make sure you are looking at the right one. Secondly, if you are suggesting that what has happened isnt an accident, which by your description is not deliberate and unplanned, so what does that make it-planned and deliberate?

Old
09-30-2003, 10:52 AM
Jewelly

vCash:
Quote:
I was merely attempting to distinguish between 'true' accidents where all precautions seeminlgy have been taken yet an unfortunate incident happens aka 'accident'... and those 'crashes' that take place b/c of broken laws, recklessness etc.

I didn't think my point was that difficult to understand.

I'm not saying that Heatly PLANNED to crash his Ferrari, injuring himself and his passenger but I also wouldn't say that his crash was 'unavoidable' either.

I just think that people use the term 'accident' too loosely. I think the justice system and the insurance corporations would tend to agree.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:52 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Quote:
Are you Heatley's brother or something?

Please read the message, it isn't black and white between on purpose and by accident.
Dont have to be related to say that what happened wasnt exactly planned out. Yeah, and Heatley kind of, just kind of didnt it on purpose.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:00 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Dont have to be related to say that what happened wasnt exactly planned out.
It's like arguing with Jello...

Okay, let's put it like this... you are cheating on your girlfriend, boyfriend, wife, husband, goldfish, whatever...

You are making a conscious effort to do this behind their back, and know the consequences.

If your sig. other walks in...

Is that an accident?
Did you plan on getting caught?

No... neither... you were doing something stupid and it caught up with you.

I understand Jewelly's point. Car crash is a more appropriate term than car accident. An accident refers to the fact that you wouldn't willingly put yourself in that position.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:11 AM
Jewelly

vCash:
Quote:
It's like arguing with Jello...

Okay, let's put it like this... you are cheating on your girlfriend, boyfriend, wife, husband, goldfish, whatever...

You are making a conscious effort to do this behind their back, and know the consequences.

If your sig. other walks in...

Is that an accident?
Did you plan on getting caught?

No... neither... you were doing something stupid and it caught up with you.

I understand Jewelly's point. Car crash is a more appropriate term than car accident. An accident refers to the fact that you wouldn't willingly put yourself in that position.
Thank you.

Closed Thread