HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sabres/Blackhawks (minor deal, no Kane or Miller) or Hawks/Canes

Old
12-09-2013, 08:12 AM
ikeane

vCash: 500
Sabres/Blackhawks (minor deal, no Kane or Miller) or Hawks/Canes

If Crawford will be OOC for a while I propose this:

To Hawks:

Matt Hackett

To Sabres:

2014 Chicago's 4th round pick

Hackett's production has slipped a bit, but behind the Hawks defense I could see him returning to the same form he showed in Minnesota. Sabres get another pick.

Raanta has been good, but Simpson is about the only in house backup in Rockford so Hackett provides depth with some NHL experience. Better option to me than Theodore, Dipietro, or some other washed up former #1 (They already tried that with Khabby).

OR

To Hawks:

Justin Peters

To Canes:

2014 Chicago's 5th round pick

Canes have 3 goalies, Khodobin has been lights out in the games he played, Peters appears to be odd man out here to me. Gives Canes a pick and Hawks a better backup than Kurt Simpson or retreads as mentionned above

ikeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Hawksfan2828

I'd do both... I just don't see how it helps the Hawks right now, but you can never have too many goalies.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 08:22 AM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
No reason for Buffalo to 'help out' Chicago with that deal with the uncertainty of Millers future with the Sabres. Sure he's struggled a bit but dumping Hackett now is way to premature.

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 08:23 AM
digdug41982

Yikes, WAY too ****ing low of a price for Hack.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 08:23 AM
gallagt01

Why?

Buffalo's not moving Hackett for a bad pick.

The second proposal is probably worse given Peters' production this year (holy alliteration).

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 08:32 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Both of these are awful for any and every team not from Chicago.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Zip15

No reason for the Sabres to deal Hackett for a 4th at this point. While his numbers in Rochester are lower than expected this year--and that may be attributed to the fact that the Amerks are not a good defensive team--he showed well in preseason, and the organization likely wants a longer look at him in the NHL, either next season or possibly later this season if/when Miller is traded. Plus, while the Sabres have a bevy of young netminders in the system (Ullmark, Makarov, Petersen, et al.), none are nearly as far along in their development as Hackett.

It's a no from the Sabres.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
No reason for Buffalo to 'help out' Chicago with that deal with the uncertainty of Millers future with the Sabres. Sure he's struggled a bit but dumping Hackett now is way to premature.
I don't know how this helps the Hawks out or any team involved for that matter...

Old
12-09-2013, 09:18 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
I don't know how this helps the Hawks out or any team involved for that matter...
Two goalies who have shown a lot of promise for garbage picks? That would help anyone. But you're right, it doesn't help Buffalo or Carolina at all.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 09:22 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
It helps the Hawks because it pretty much gives them a good goalie prospect for free.

Old
12-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeane View Post

To Hawks:

Matt Hackett

To Sabres:

I was so happy to click on this thread until I saw the deal...

Brendan Saad for Brian Flynn?

If you didn't get the first joke, how about Clendening for a 5th?

Actually the only deal I saw for these two teams involved Stafford, but since they got Veersteg, nothing makes sense.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
Two goalies who have shown a lot of promise for garbage picks? That would help anyone. But you're right, it doesn't help Buffalo or Carolina at all.
Goalies are a crapshoot and the Hawks already have plenty of goalies with potential.

You're talking about goalies that are 2-3 years away from a steady NHL career (if one at all)... So it's not "helping" anyone - it's a zero risk trade.

Also, I didn't propose the deal, I just said "why not."

Old
12-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Havok89

Quote:
Goalies are a crapshoot and the Hawks already have plenty of goalies with potential.

You're talking about goalies that are 2-3 years away from a steady NHL career (if one at all)... So it's not "helping" anyone - it's a zero risk trade.

Zero risk for Chicago ...

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:08 AM
gallagt01

Quote:

This is moronic. It's zero risk for the Hawks; the other teams aren't giving away assets for trash picks that probably don't pan out.

-Peters already has a steady NHL career. He's 27 years old and a backup goalie who has, this year, proven he can be relied on as a spot starter.

-Hackett may be a regular in the NHL as early as this season given the Sabres' current situation in goal. Even if he is two years away from a steady NHL career, teams don't ship prospects away for trash picks when those prospects have NHL upside.

Old
12-09-2013, 11:14 AM
tsujimoto74

No incentive for Buffalo to make that deal. Hackett hasn't been stellar, but Miller's likely gone soon, and he's a whole lot more likely to make some kind of impact than a late round pick.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:24 AM
ikeane

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
This is moronic. It's zero risk for the Hawks; the other teams aren't giving away assets for trash picks that probably don't pan out.

-Peters already has a steady NHL career. He's 27 years old and a backup goalie who has, this year, proven he can be relied on as a spot starter.

-Hackett may be a regular in the NHL as early as this season given the Sabres' current situation in goal. Even if he is two years away from a steady NHL career, teams don't ship prospects away for trash picks when those prospects have NHL upside.
You are right. Look at Urbom in NJ. Did not get shipped out for a trash pick, was waived. While the picks may be lower than people like, unless it is the trade deadline/draft, many established backups (especially prospects) aren't going to land you a 1st or 2nd, especially if they have limited NHL action. Schneider got a 1st because he took the #1 job in VAN. Bishop got a 2nd round pick, but has taken the #1 role in TB. Hackett was part of a trade with a fellow prospect and a 1st for Pominville. that to me says he is not worth a 1st round pick, or even a 2nd. I concede that he may be the Sabre backup of the near future and probably is not available, but thought that the Sabres seem to be in a rebuild, acquire draft pick mode, and from everything I read from Sabre fans, they feel Hackett has been underwhelming since his arrival in Buffalo. Now that his name is brought up in a proposal, he is not worth a draft pick?

Old
12-09-2013, 11:32 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
You are right. Look at Urbom in NJ. Did not get shipped out for a trash pick, was waived. While the picks may be lower than people like, unless it is the trade deadline/draft, many established backups (especially prospects) aren't going to land you a 1st or 2nd, especially if they have limited NHL action. Schneider got a 1st because he took the #1 job in VAN. Bishop got a 2nd round pick, but has taken the #1 role in TB. Hackett was part of a trade with a fellow prospect and a 1st for Pominville. that to me says he is not worth a 1st round pick, or even a 2nd. I concede that he may be the Sabre backup of the near future and probably is not available, but thought that the Sabres seem to be in a rebuild, acquire draft pick mode, and from everything I read from Sabre fans, they feel Hackett has been underwhelming since his arrival in Buffalo. Now that his name is brought up in a proposal, he is not worth a draft pick?
You're not taking into account Buffalo's organizational needs at all. Nobody said Hackett is worth a first- or second-round draft pick. Nobody said that his value isn't a fourth. The Sabres just aren't moving him because he has NHL upside and they don't have any goalies nearing the NHL aside from him.

""

We'll give you a fourth for Pirri because we need centers.

Edit: Forgot that Pirri was in the NHL this year. Insert any AHL player with NHL upside that you don't want to lose for a fourth-round pick in place of Pirri and the point remains.

Last edited by gallagt01: 12-09-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old
12-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 190
Quote:

To Hawks:

Matt Hackett

To Sabres:

Hackett's production has slipped a bit, but behind the Hawks defense I could see him returning to the same form he showed in Minnesota. Sabres get another pick.

Raanta has been good, but Simpson is about the only in house backup in Rockford so Hackett provides depth with some NHL experience. Better option to me than Theodore, Dipietro, or some other washed up former #1 (They already tried that with Khabby).

OR

To Hawks:

Justin Peters

To Canes:

2014 Chicago's 5th round pick

Canes have 3 goalies, Khodobin has been lights out in the games he played, Peters appears to be odd man out here to me. Gives Canes a pick and Hawks a better backup than Kurt Simpson or retreads as mentionned above
1) Terrible deal for Sabres and Hackett provides little for Hawks at this point. Raanta is better and Simpson is on par

A vet like Theodore would make more sense if the Hawks need another goalie

2) To low a price ,, Canes would proabably want a better pick as there are other teams he could be moved to as #2

And Kent Simpson is Hawks G prospect in Rockford

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Djp

Quote:

To Hawks:

Matt Hackett

To Sabres:

Did you propose the previous MattHackett thread??????

Buffalo is not trading Hackett unless they were to resign Miller---even then, they will more likely trade Enroth because he is a UFA in 2015 before Hackett who has a few years to go.

The assumption is Miller gets traded and then Enroth and Hackett are the 1A/1B goalies. Buffalo has a few good goalie propsects in their system but they area few years away.

At this time, there is no way they trade Hackett unless another goalie is coming back.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Djp

Quote:

How old is Hackett????? Why does the Sabres want to trade him because they are rebuilding given his limited NHL experience.

Unlike forwards --goalies tend to take longer to develop and emerge as starters.

acquire draft pick mode----that applies to veterans a team moves who are upcoming UFAs---not minor league prospects/RFAs who are 24 or younger.

when it comes to picks---the 4th round pick is basically a nothing garbage pick. Coming from chicago this would be a bottom 4th round pick so how many high quality NHL players have been picked from 110th or later.....

Unlike how it works for other positions---in general, teams dont carry 3 goalies on their roster. This year Buffalo has Miller and enroth who would have to go through waivers, while this is Hackett's last year of waiver exemption.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Hawkaholic

I would be interested in the Peters for a 5th, but not sure why Carolina would do that.

My interest in a backup goalie has piqued bit, because of Crawfords injury , but I sill wouldn't give up anything more than a 5th to get one.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:08 PM
ikeane

Quote:
You're not taking into account Buffalo's organizational needs at all. Nobody said Hackett is worth a first- or second-round draft pick. Nobody said that his value isn't a fourth. The Sabres just aren't moving him because he has NHL upside and they don't have any goalies nearing the NHL aside from him.

""

We'll give you a fourth for Pirri because we need centers.

Edit: Forgot that Pirri was in the NHL this year. Insert any AHL player with NHL upside that you don't want to lose for a fourth-round pick in place of Pirri and the point remains.
Point taken. I thought the balking point was the draft pick, I though Buffalo had 2-3 NHL ready in the minors. My mistake

BWC, don't know why I always want to call him Kurt, not Kent Simpson. Hawks do not have quality goalie depth. Simpson has been trash so far (I believe his GAA is around 3.46 with a .900 SP). Also, he has no NHL experience. Last year they even had to trade for Karlsson due to poor depth. Theodore IMO is done. If we are going to take a chance, tehn call Dipietro and give him a league minimum deal. low rish, high reward type signing. Theodore has been done for years IMO

Old
12-09-2013, 12:15 PM
ikeane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I would be interested in the Peters for a 5th, but not sure why Carolina would do that.

My interest in a backup goalie has piqued bit, because of Crawfords injury , but I sill wouldn't give up anything more than a 5th to get one.
I agree. Could see Dipietro on a league minimum deal, ala Emery to give him a shot. If it does not work, bury him. Not a fan of that idea, but StanBo loves his picks. Ideally I would love to try to pry Talbot from the NYR, but don't think that would ever happen.

Old
12-09-2013, 12:22 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Point taken. I thought the balking point was the draft pick, I though Buffalo had 2-3 NHL ready in the minors. My mistake
Buffalo has some goalies in the minors but none with Hackett's upside. And no worries.

Seriously, though; we'll give you a fourth for Pirri.

Old
12-09-2013, 01:08 PM
ikeane

Quote:
Buffalo has some goalies in the minors but none with Hackett's upside. And no worries.

Seriously, though; we'll give you a fourth for Handzus.
You misspelled it, I fixed it for you