HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Frans Nielsen for D

Old
04-09-2014, 09:52 AM
MarginallyTalented

vCash: 500
I personally would never trade Frans unless an offer comes that you can't refuse. The guy literally does it all. He can play 2nd line centre, 3rd line centre and I believe he would do great on the 1st line with JT with his defensive awareness. Not to mention, he's the best guy in the history of the NHL in shootouts. Even if Strome and Nelson make it as the 2C and 3C, you can slot Frans on the 2nd or 3rd line. The guy is also one of the only veterans that actually contribute. You need guys like Frans if you want to compete. Isles should absolutely not trade him unless something major is coming back.

MarginallyTalented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 09:53 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
So are you guys more interested in an offensive guy, 2-way, or defensive defenseman?

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 09:58 AM
seafoam

Shutdown guy.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 10:04 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Shutdown guy.
Something around Polak and Nielsen?

Old
04-09-2014, 10:10 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Something around Polak and Nielsen?
Not too familiar with Polak, but this makes some sense from the little I know of him. Interesting, what can you tell me about Polak?

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 10:17 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Nielsen for Polak+?

Edit: bleedblue1223 beat me to it.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 10:35 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Not too familiar with Polak, but this makes some sense from the little I know of him. Interesting, what can you tell me about Polak?
One of the strongest guys in the league, very good skater, physical and can shutdown top lines. So that's the good.

The ok parts are his puck-moving abilities because at times he can rush the puck forward and since he is a tank at full-speed, nothing stops him, but you shouldn't expect this all the time. When he is with a puck-mover like Russell or even a 2-way type guy like Cole, he is extremely effective because he can defer to them majority of the time and they open up space for him to go forward at times.

If he is with someone like Jackman who can't move the puck or make the passes, the pairing can get hemmed in and it can be a disaster. Blues fans wish Hitchcock would finally figure that out and stop trying to pair them together.

I think the one thing that has held him from being a top pairing shutdown defender has been his inconsistencies in reading plays. This has improved IMO, but with Pietrangelo, it really hasn't been tested, so I can't say for sure if he could legitimately be a 1st pair guy or if he will always be 2nd pairing shutdown quality.

Basically, if you have a LHD offensive/2-way guy, he is the perfect partner. If he has to be with a Jackman type or someone similar to him, then prepared to be extremely frustrated at times. If you expect 2nd pairing quality, you'll be more than satisfied, but if you want 1st pairing, there are some questions, but there is a chance he could perform to that level.

Since he'd slot in behind Hamonic, I think Polak would be very successful with you guys. Whether it's with Visnovsky or maybe a veteran partner for someone like Donovan.

Last edited by bleedblue1223: 04-09-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old
04-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarginallyTalented View Post
I personally would never trade Frans unless an offer comes that you can't refuse. The guy literally does it all. He can play 2nd line centre, 3rd line centre and I believe he would do great on the 1st line with JT with his defensive awareness. Not to mention, he's the best guy in the history of the NHL in shootouts. Even if Strome and Nelson make it as the 2C and 3C, you can slot Frans on the 2nd or 3rd line. The guy is also one of the only veterans that actually contribute. You need guys like Frans if you want to compete. Isles should absolutely not trade him unless something major is coming back.
Completely agree. Isles have a major shortage of veterans, we cannot afford to move Nielsen yet. He is just too useful for the reasons you've mentioned. Without Nielsen our forward veterans become Okposo and *shudder* Bailey, that is just totally unacceptable. The only forward over 30 would be Boulton. I think the sky is the limit for Nelson and Strome but they are clearly not ready to take over Nielsen's duties yet.

Moving Nielsen for a top-4 D is just filling in one hole to open up another. Polak is a great player, but not at that cost. It would be easier to just pick up a stop-gap shutdown defenseman in free agency, finding someone to replace what Nielsen does would be much harder.

Benedict Kovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 11:29 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict Kovalchuk View Post
Completely agree. Isles have a major shortage of veterans, we cannot afford to move Nielsen yet. He is just too useful for the reasons you've mentioned. Without Nielsen our forward veterans become Okposo and *shudder* Bailey, that is just totally unacceptable. The only forward over 30 would be Boulton. I think the sky is the limit for Nelson and Strome but they are clearly not ready to take over Nielsen's duties yet.

Moving Nielsen for a top-4 D is just filling in one hole to open up another. Polak is a great player, but not at that cost. It would be easier to just pick up a stop-gap shutdown defenseman in free agency, finding someone to replace what Nielsen does would be much harder.
And that's likely the proper way to go. Just depends on if you can get a better free agent vet defenseman or vet forward. You guys have a ton of quality young players, but having those key veteran players are just as important for a successful rebuild. They play a big role in transforming promising talent into quality contributors.

Old
04-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Taze em

Came back to this thread and I can't believe what I'm seeing. People lukewarm on Oduya while intrigued and interested in Roman Polak. Just facepalm hilarious.

Taze em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict Kovalchuk View Post

A hole in your top 4 D is exponentially bigger than a hole at 3C but that might just be the Hawk fan in me since we haven't had a bona fide 2C or 3C for years now.

Old
04-09-2014, 11:40 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
Came back to this thread and I can't believe what I'm seeing. People lukewarm on Oduya while intrigued and interested in Roman Polak. Just facepalm hilarious.
Not like one is younger, cheaper, signed longer, and more physical. Both are similar caliber and only homers would say anything different.

Old
04-09-2014, 11:40 AM
Dan-o16

I believe that trading Frans Nielsen would have disappointing results for both NYI and the team that acquires him. He's the kind of guy who signs for hometown discounts. His current contract is a steal. Guys like that don't necessarily do it out of the goodness of their hearts - they do it because he they're comfortable and don't want to move.

Last edited by Dan-o16: 04-09-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 11:44 AM
Benedict Kovalchuk

Quote:
A hole in your top 4 D is exponentially bigger than a hole at 3C but that might just be the Hawk fan in me since we haven't had a bona fide 2C or 3C for years now.
Nielsen is 2C, Strome and Nelson rotate 3C. Also that is totally the Hawk fan in you lol, it's easy to roll with no 2C when you have Patrick Kane on the wing generating all the offense for the line anyways and can throw Sharp or Saad on the other wing. Sans Nielsen, Isles would be icing a 2nd line with likely a minimum of two rookies and Bailey. Like I said before, if Josh Bailey is a 'veteran leader' than the Isles are in some real serious trouble and likely not going anywhere.

Old
04-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Not like one is younger, cheaper, signed longer, and more physical. Both are similar caliber and only homers would say anything different.
Man, the Blues really have it figured out. I wish my team could be more like yours.

It's not that close.

Edited to add:

Here is a list of D who play tougher competition than Oduya:
Phaneuf
Gunnarsson (TML are idiots)
Chara
OEL
Hjalmarsson
------ end of list
Here are the next 2:
Giordano
Shea Weber.

Meanwhile. Oduya has better Corsi, Corsi rev, TOI DESPITE playing top 5 toughest minutes in the NHL.

Yea, it isn't close.

Last edited by Taze em: 04-09-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old
04-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Man, the Blues really have it figured out. I wish my team could be more like yours.

It's not that close.
Okay... so wanna elaborate why Oduya>Polak?

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Viper View Post
Okay... so wanna elaborate why Oduya>Polak?
Read the post you quoted?

Old
04-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
Read the post you quoted?
So Oduya is better than Shea Weber by your logic.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
So Oduya is better than Shea Weber by your logic.
Nice try, do better next time.

Old
04-09-2014, 03:04 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Nice try, do better next time.
Who's better Hjalmarsson and Oduya or Keith and Seabrook? What makes a player better, how the coach utilizes a certain player or the talents and abilities of the player.

Old
04-09-2014, 03:38 PM
StrongIslanders90

I have always liked Polak. Would make a good partner with Hickey Imo. He's part of a very strong g defense and would likely see his TOI and responsibility increase on the Islanders. Could he handle that? Who knows.

That being said I don't think Polak is a guy I would do straight up for Frans.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 03:46 PM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I have always liked Polak. Would make a good partner with Hickey Imo. He's part of a very strong g defense and would likely see his TOI and responsibility increase on the Islanders. Could he handle that? Who knows.

That being said I don't think Polak is a guy I would do straight up for Frans.
Definitely not. Isles would need more of a two way guy to pull the trigger, if at all.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Can I interest you in a Trevor Daley?

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 04:35 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

nielsen for vatanen and?

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Benedict Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Can I interest you in a Trevor Daley?
I don't know anything about him. Care to tell me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
nielsen for vatanen and?
Don't want to trade for Vatanen. He's a solid young defenseman for sure, but we have loads of our own and would vastly prefer a veteran. A veteran especially since it looks like we'll be adding at least 2 or so defense prospects to the lineup and some mentoring and guidance would go a long way.