HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Frans Nielsen for D

Old
04-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Taze em

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Who's better Hjalmarsson and Oduya or Keith and Seabrook? What makes a player better, how the coach utilizes a certain player or the talents and abilities of the player.
Must have missed the part where I said Oduya has a better Corsi/ Corsi rev meaning he not only plays tougher competition, he outperforms Polak while Polak plays worse competition.

Taze em is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 06:14 PM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
nielsen for vatanen and?
The Isles should and probably will be looking for more of a bigger, shutdown type guy.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

We'll let you have Kindl

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict Kovalchuk View Post
I don't know anything about him. Care to tell me?
Well, I won't bore you with the contract details, you can figure those out yourself.

They're here, though: http://capgeek.com/player/697

He's a bit small, but he's good for about 25-30 points a year. Good wheels (probably great in the Isles run & gun system), usually stays pretty healthy. Eats minutes. Good 2nd pair kinda guy. Is average to above average defensively. Is a veteran at this point.

Rumors have been that management has been trying to move him for a few years, and we can replace him from within with numerous prospects.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
Came back to this thread and I can't believe what I'm seeing. People lukewarm on Oduya while intrigued and interested in Roman Polak. Just facepalm hilarious.
As Islander fans, we've seen plenty of Johnny Oduya when he was a Devil. We were also watching when he struggled as one of the top guys in Winnipeg. I'm not saying the Islanders would have no interest.... but for Nielsen, they would have to get a top pairing defenseman, or a top notch starting goaltender for it to make any sense at all. Oduya is not a top pairing defenseman.... maybe when insulated by a strong defense core, he can appear to be one.... but he isn't a top pairing defenseman.

Jester9881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
As Islander fans, we've seen plenty of Johnny Oduya when he was a Devil. We were also watching when he struggled as one of the top guys in Winnipeg. I'm not saying the Islanders would have no interest.... but for Nielsen, they would have to get a top pairing defenseman, or a top notch starting goaltender for it to make any sense at all. Oduya is not a top pairing defenseman.... maybe when insulated by a strong defense core, he can appear to be one.... but he isn't a top pairing defenseman.
Nielsen does not have that sort of value, imo. He's a good tweener 2c/3c. He's like Matt Stajan or Alex Steen. These guys have value but not top pair D or top goalie value. Not insignificant value either.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 06:40 PM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
First off all, I don't think people were suggesting Oduya, who would be a one year stop gap, for Nielsen. Second of all, you are not getting a top pairing defenseman for Neilsen alone, and you would have to add big time.

Old
04-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Nielsen does not have that sort of value, imo. He's a good tweener 2c/3c. He's like Matt Stajan or Alex Steen. These guys have value but not top pair D or top goalie value. Not insignificant value either.
Then I have to kindly disagree, and I'm sure the Islanders would be more than happy holding onto Frans Nielsen. He's an Islander and not an impending FA so no one understands just how good he is. He would be the second line center on more than 20 other teams in this league. He's very good on both sides of the ice, signed for peanuts for another season and there is absolutely not a single player better in the shootout, period.

Old
04-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
First off all, I don't think people were suggesting Oduya, who would be a one year stop gap, for Nielsen. Second of all, you are not getting a top pairing defenseman for Neilsen alone, and you would have to add big time.
I believe the poster I was responding to was doing just that. If I'm wrong I apologize. And if we're not getting a top pairing defenseman in return, I have no problem holding onto Frans Nielsen.

Old
04-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Taze em

Nielsen isn't worth a top pairing D. The prevailing wisdom in this thread was that the Islanders wanted a veteran top 4 defensemen to be a leader for the young guys coming up. All I said was that Oduya fits that description perfectly and will be available.

All I got back was people saying he wasn't "sexy" enough (fine, whatever) and that Polak was a better option (wrong).

If the value you place on Nielsen is Oduya+ I don't think you'll find many takers. After all, the Hawks will contend with or without the deal so the onus is kind of on the Isles.

Old
04-09-2014, 07:15 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 521
Quote:
Nielsen isn't worth a top pairing D. The prevailing wisdom in this thread was that the Islanders wanted a veteran top 4 defensemen to be a leader for the young guys coming up. All I said was that Oduya fits that description perfectly and will be available.

All I got back was people saying he wasn't "sexy" enough (fine, whatever) and that Polak was a better option (wrong).

If the value you place on Nielsen is Oduya+ I don't think you'll find many takers. After all, the Hawks will contend with or without the deal so the onus is kind of on the Isles.
Forget sexy enough. Jester points out that Oduya played for the local NJ Devils for several years, so NYI fans saw plenty of him.

Not trading Fran Nielsen for Oduya. If that is the best offer, then no thanks The teams clearly do not match up well as trade partners,

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 07:18 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I am not even looking for a top pairing defenseman. I go with CDH/Hamonic on the top pair, add a second pairing vet, then see what Reinhart/Pulock/Pokka bring to the team in 2014-2015.

Old
04-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Taze em

Got it, not interested in cup winning Oduya who played 7 more mins than OEL in the gold medal game vs Canada, because you all remember how bad he was for New Jersey when he was +27, got it.

Well, hope to see you in the finals soon. Sucks what happened to Tavares, great young player. Love Okposo too.

Old
04-09-2014, 07:44 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Got it, not interested in cup winning Oduya who played 7 more mins than OEL in the gold medal game vs Canada, because you all remember how bad he was for New Jersey when he was +27, got it.

Well, hope to see you in the finals soon. Sucks what happened to Tavares, great young player. Love Okposo too.
Oduya playing on a stacked Hawks team , would be asked to play a much different role, playing on a young isles team with a bunch of 1st/2nd year players, needing sheltered mins.

Would I like Oduya for solid, second tier talent like Mayfield/Sundstrom? Sure.

Would I like Oduya for Frans Nielsen, coming off a career high 25 goal season? No.

Old
04-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
The Isles should and probably will be looking for more of a bigger, shutdown type guy.
Grossmann.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 09:16 AM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Grossmann.
Can he play top four minutes though?

Old
04-12-2014, 12:03 AM
SpeedDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
The Islanders don't have that luxury. To many holes on defense.

Obviously, Tavares and Strome are not moving. So,a trade of Nielsen makes sense.
Depend on who you ask. I'd move Tavares and Strome before I'd move Nielsen, especially with Strome not yet having a full year under his belt and Tavares still injured. Ten to one says he'll need half of next season to get back to peak form.

Nielsen is a great two-way player. Strome is still a question mark in my opinion on both sides of the puck and Tavares- one he's on the shelf with no telling how he'll come off it and two- i have no idea why people ignore this he is weak on the defensive side of the game and selfish on the offensive side

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 01:51 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Depend on who you ask. I'd move Tavares and Strome before I'd move Nielsen, especially with Strome not yet having a full year under his belt and Tavares still injured. Ten to one says he'll need half of next season to get back to peak form.

Nielsen is a great two-way player. Strome is still a question mark in my opinion on both sides of the puck and Tavares- one he's on the shelf with no telling how he'll come off it and two- i have no idea why people ignore this he is weak on the defensive side of the game and selfish on the offensive side
Isles have been pushing Strome to improve his play away from the puck and he is improving defensively.
Move 20 year old Strome , who the isles feel be an elite scorer and keep the 30 year old 40-50 pt center instead? OK. That makes very little sense.

Even more ridiculous is dumping Tavares, who is rehabbing well from an injury, that did not require surgery. Big deal if 23 year old Tavares ,needs a half season to get back up to speed? Whoa a whole half season!

Old
04-12-2014, 03:08 AM
Jester9881

Quote:

We had Mark Eaton once, he also won a cup and averaged more TOI than Shea Weber when they were team mates. If that's what your criteria is of a top pairing defenseman, than I bid you good day. Oduya is not a top pairing defenseman.