HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dustin Brown

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2005, 10:02 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

vCash: 500
Dustin Brown

I know it's early but does anyone know what the Kings plan is for Dustin Brown? Where do you think he fits in?

Thanks!
-Cnote-

Old
07-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Cropduster

Hopefully he has put on a little more muscle-assumming that he would fit nicely lined up on the right side, 2nd line

Old
07-28-2005, 12:41 AM
McSorley 33

I wouldn't mind seeing him play on the 4th line for awhile. I like Dustin to get more NHL experience, before giving him a top six job. He's only what 20? No rush....

Old
07-28-2005, 01:03 AM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorley 33
I wouldn't mind seeing him play on the 4th line for awhile. I like Dustin to get more NHL experience, before giving him a top six job. He's only what 20? No rush....

What is he going to start on the 4th line absolutelly nothing.....
My two possible one being dream other being more likelly top 6
Dream:
Naslund - Forsberg - Palffy
Frolov - Camms - Brown

More likely:
Frolov - Demitra - Palffy
Camms - Conroy - Brown

Old
07-28-2005, 01:14 AM
McSorley 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
What is he going to start on the 4th line absolutelly nothing.....
My two possible one being dream other being more likelly top 6
Dream:
Naslund - Forsberg - Palffy
Frolov - Camms - Brown

More likely:
Frolov - Demitra - Palffy
Camms - Conroy - Brown

Yes, those lines are good and might be a line in a year but what your not realizing is that Dustin is very young and you don't just throw a guy out there on a top line and expect him to produce. It might not happen and you might ruin his confidence.

I say give him awhile on the 4th and let's let him feel more comfortable. He's said when he was playing that the lack of goals was hurting his confidence!

Old
07-28-2005, 01:43 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
I say give him awhile on the 4th and let's let him feel more comfortable. He's said when he was playing that the lack of goals was hurting his confidence!
Yes, I'm sure Dustin Brown will get plenty of scoring opportunities playing on the 4th line with limited ice time. If anything, being demoted to 4th line ice time will be a bigger blow to Dustin's confidence.

He just scored 29 goals and notched 74 points in 79 games and led the team in scoring in the playoffs with 5 goals and 7 points in 6 games.

Limiting his ice time to 4th line duty isn't going to develop a prospect. He has to get consistent ice time on the top two lines. Take a look at Adam Deadmarsh and his development with Quebec/Colorado. Both players are just about the same size and build and are right handed shots that could play the LW.
Deadmarsh started slowly his first season with Quebec, but showed a lot of promise with his style of gameplay and constant hustle, similar to what we saw in Brown in his limited time playing for the Kings in 2003-2004.

Deadmarsh never spent any time in the minors after moving up from the WHL to the NHL and was 19 when he made his pro debut (and played in all 48 games during the shortened season in 94-95).
He then went on to post 4 consecutive 20+ goal seasons (21, 33, 22, 22) and was usually playing with Sakic and Scott Young on one of the Avs top lines (the other scoring line for the Avs had Forsberg centering Valeri Kamensky and Claude Lemieux).

Now, I'm not going to predict Dustin Brown to be an exact Deadmarsh clone, but they have the same determination and style of forechecking. Dustin is less of an aggressor and although he will get his nose dirty, throw some big hits and be in the face of opposing defensemen, he will not frequent the penalty box or drop the gloves on a regular basis.

The Kings management is confident in Dustin and I think we may find him playing wing on the second scoring unit. He showed in Manchester that he can fit in well in a scoring role, and I expect him to earn a spot on the opening night roster, and it won't be on a 4th line.

Old
07-28-2005, 01:52 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Yes, I'm sure Dustin Brown will get plenty of scoring opportunities playing on the 4th line with limited ice time. If anything, being demoted to 4th line ice time will be a bigger blow to Dustin's confidence.

He just scored 29 goals and notched 74 points in 79 games and led the team in scoring in the playoffs with 5 goals and 7 points in 6 games.

Limiting his ice time to 4th line duty isn't going to develop a prospect. He has to get consistent ice time on the top two lines. Take a look at Adam Deadmarsh and his development with Quebec/Colorado. Both players are just about the same size and build and are right handed shots that could play the LW.
Deadmarsh started slowly his first season with Quebec, but showed a lot of promise with his style of gameplay and constant hustle, similar to what we saw in Brown in his limited time playing for the Kings in 2003-2004.

Deadmarsh never spent any time in the minors after moving up from the WHL to the NHL and was 19 when he made his pro debut (and played in all 48 games during the shortened season in 94-95).
He then went on to post 4 consecutive 20+ goal seasons (21, 33, 22, 22) and was usually playing with Sakic and Scott Young on one of the Avs top lines (the other scoring line for the Avs had Forsberg centering Valeri Kamensky and Claude Lemieux).

Now, I'm not going to predict Dustin Brown to be an exact Deadmarsh clone, but they have the same determination and style of forechecking. Dustin is less of an aggressor and although he will get his nose dirty, throw some big hits and be in the face of opposing defensemen, he will not frequent the penalty box or drop the gloves on a regular basis.

The Kings management is confident in Dustin and I think we may find him playing wing on the second scoring unit. He showed in Manchester that he can fit in well in a scoring role, and I expect him to earn a spot on the opening night roster, and it won't be on a 4th line.

Stop it, you're making way too much sense for some of these people.

Old
07-28-2005, 02:24 AM
McSorley 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust

Dustin said it himself that he didn't do well while playing in the NHL. Dustin himself said "it hurt my confidence a little", He was what 18 or 19, theres no rush let him develope more.

I'm not saying put him back in the AHL. Let him have time to find his place whether it be on the 1st, 2nd or 4th line before he finds top six duty full time.

Yeah, I guess we should just throw Tukonen out there too and see what he can do at 19. Lets all expect him to tear it up his second year and score 30 plus goals. Would be nice, yet not always realistic or smart.

The Kings put Dustin on the fourth line his first year for a reason. To let him find his game. You don't expect that much from a first year player anyway. It takes time, but I know you knew that!

Tell me, how many teams put their 1st round draft picks to NHL their first year. Let me help you out, not many of them.

Old
07-28-2005, 02:26 AM
McSorley 33

And dude, I know you like to argue with everyone, so make sure you read my post before arguing back. Thank you much!

Old
07-28-2005, 02:43 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Tell me, how many teams put their 1st round draft picks to NHL their first year. Let me help you out, not many of them.
Eight picks in the first round from the 2003 Draft class (the year Brown was selected). Ten picks if you include Patrice Bergeron and Dan Fritsche. There must be a reason why the Kings felt that Dustin Brown should be kept on the pro roster and not return back to the juniors.

Oh and Dustin wasn't regulated to 4th line ice time. If you may recall, Dustin saw some time playing the LW with Stumpel and Palffy. He got hurt in late November and was placed on the IR and then reaggravated the ankle injury, which limited him to 31 games. Dustin was (and had to be) eased into the lineup after missing a significant amount of playing time in order for him to return to game shape.

And if you have Dustin Brown on the 4th line with say a guy like Avery and Cowan or Kostopoulos, who plays ahead of him? Frolov, Conroy, Cammalleri perhaps. Then it comes to Robitaille, Armstrong, Klatt, Belanger and Pirnes. That is all the Kings have up front currently.

Assume they make two more additions up front with a top line center and winger. Frolov will more than likely play LW on the top scoring line, then on the second line, you can assume that Conroy will be tried there with Cammalleri and ???. My guess is the line of Robitaille, Armstrong and Klatt would remain intact as they consistently performed well together. That leaves the 4th line with the likes of Belanger, Avery, Cowan, Kostopoulos and Flinn. Think any of those guys will be playing ahead of Dustin Brown?

Old
07-28-2005, 02:48 AM
Peter James Bond

Brown is ready to for fulltime NHL duty on the top 6.

He wasn't ready 2 years ago at 18, even though he played pretty well. He is now at 20.

The Kings have no other skilled forward who plays a power forward game like Brown. The Kings desperately need another skilled, top 6 power forward. By putting Brown on the 4th line, the Kings will need 2 top 6 power forwards. Its going to be tough just to find one more.

Old
07-28-2005, 03:56 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I wouldn't mind seeing Brown on the 2nd or if we have 3 scoring lines, the 3rd line. I just really hope he stopped diving like he had a tendency to do in his time here in L.A. At first he got away wth it, but after the 4th or 5th time he did it, the refs started to call it.

Old
07-28-2005, 10:57 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Brown is definitly ready for the NHL. The guy is a warrior no doubt. He plays hurt, and will do anything to help the team win. He is definitly going to be a fan favorite in LA and SHOULD be a top 6 guy in LA depending on what they do with FA.
The only knock against him is that he occasionally coasts or takes games off. But I believe he will grow out of that. He can play for my team any day of the week.

Old
07-28-2005, 01:49 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

i would certainly agree that brown is ready for the nhl, but as for him playing on the fourth line for a significant portion of the season, count on it. playing him on the fourth line takes the pressure off him to produce regularly. it gives him less ice time thus training him to play very hard and with full intensity on every shift, something he may not do when logging 20 minutes per game on the top line. it allows him to work on other aspects of his game, such as defensive or physical aspects, making him a more complete player. it protects him from injury to some degree by not making him play against another team's biggest and most physical defensemen (something he'll have to get used to, but i see no reason to rush him into it at the tender young age of 20--he can't even buy beer yet!). in short, there are a variety of reasons for putting him on the fourth line, as there are for putting him on the top line. knowing andy murray, brown will spend time on every line, and will play in a wide variety of situations.

Old
07-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Hey navigators back!

Old
07-28-2005, 02:23 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator
i would certainly agree that brown is ready for the nhl, but as for him playing on the fourth line for a significant portion of the season, count on it. playing him on the fourth line takes the pressure off him to produce regularly. it gives him less ice time thus training him to play very hard and with full intensity on every shift, something he may not do when logging 20 minutes per game on the top line. it allows him to work on other aspects of his game, such as defensive or physical aspects, making him a more complete player. it protects him from injury to some degree by not making him play against another team's biggest and most physical defensemen (something he'll have to get used to, but i see no reason to rush him into it at the tender young age of 20--he can't even buy beer yet!). in short, there are a variety of reasons for putting him on the fourth line, as there are for putting him on the top line. knowing andy murray, brown will spend time on every line, and will play in a wide variety of situations.
mr. fouser is here!!!

btw, get my email?

07-28-2005, 03:53 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

i did now--the yahoo address is actually my old one, since i got a new gmail one.

is that this saturday?

Old
07-28-2005, 07:22 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Great info!...Thanks a lot Kings fans!

-Cnote-

Old
07-28-2005, 07:30 PM
McSorley 33

It wouldn't surprise me to see Dustin at a top six spot later on in the season. Yes he's a stud and yes he could even be a 1st line winger. I just like to see him handled right. Mike C will start somewhere on the top six, but again Mike is 22 now. He's had some time to develope and get there.

I think fans often expect to much out of guys way to early. It's hard for a twenty year old to fend off guys that are alot stronger at lets say 23-24 or even into their late twenties early thirities. He's a kid playing with men, give him a chance to grow.

It's kinda like throwing Eric Neilson out on the ice and telling him to go fight an Oliwa, Parker, Brennan, etc and then getting upset with him when he gets his ass handed to him.

Closed Thread