HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to improve skating ability?

Old
12-09-2013, 02:09 PM
DundeeStars

vCash: 500
How to improve skating ability?

I have been playing hockey now for 10 years but i have never been a natural player. I have only in the last 4 years been put up there with the best in my league. SO i am a pretty well known player in the league and can score do all that jazz. The one thing i always get told is i need to improve on my skating. I play left wing and want to know what i could do to improve my skating technique.

DundeeStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 03:28 PM
CarpeNoctem
I Pity #26

First part of this is figuring what your weak spots are. Perhaps you're fast but have no agility or maybe the opposite is your issue. Start off by spending the most time on your weakest point until it hits par and then continue to build up everything else.

CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Thesensation19

1) Ice Skate more. Open skates, open hockey, small rink, big rink, pond what ever. If ice is not available, roller hockey.
2) Look into Power Skating lessons or tutorials that you can apply yourself.

Look into Soviet Union skating lessons. Notice how even the best Soviet/Russian players of the time use to practice doing real slow, real low, hard skating. Grind those blades. Work on semi circles, turn overs. Get a feel for your skating

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:07 PM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

vCash: 112
Do what has been said for sure but make sure you just skate as much as possible. Look up the public skate times for your local rinks and try to work out any times you can go and just skate.

thevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:26 PM
rinkrat22

practicing the same bad techniques more isn't going to help. you've played long enough. find an adult training session. there must be somewhere near you that has adult classes. even if you are better than the other players in the class doing drills reinforces good techniques.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 01:26 AM
DundeeStars

Thanks alot guys. Deffo gonna find some tutorials tonight. Was also thinking of getting some video of my games so i could see what needs improvement.

DundeeStars is offline   Reply With Quote