HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Kris Letang for a Top Line Winger

Old
12-09-2013, 07:31 PM
smackdaddy
All Aboard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
ROTFL...

You have to have proven some sort of consistency to be given that kind of leeway.
You expect consistency and history from someone who has yet to play a full NHL season? The numbers aren't even there yet for any consistency talk. Hilarious!

I suspect you have a hard time with the whole NHL value thing.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Tripod

Quote:
This, and Letang has been in a bit of a tussle with the Pens coaching staff as of late. It was clearly effecting him mentally in the off-season.

Anyone who has watched Letang in the last three years alone wouldn't be scared off by a month of bad play. Hes started to show signs of life lately as well.

There is no way Letang's talent just up and leaves him after being as good as he has been for so long. Everyone seems to just remember him for his offensive production last season. He's been a top end defender on a contending team for a while now.
But most team/fans also see that he is passing to 2 of the best forwards in the game, so any acquiring team would expect his point totals to go down.

It's crazy that someone so talented with the puck can look so indecisive on the PP. Maybe just too much time to think instead of just reacting.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Avs44

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
How ironic considering how people peg Yakupov with the one with no value due to his slow start.
Letang has proven himself to be a top pairing defensman.

Yakupov has not even played 82 games yet.

There is a difference.

Granted, Yakupov has a ton of value in my opinion. I've said since the moment he was drafted that he has the potential to be the best of the Oilers young forwards if they simply give him a chance.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:32 PM
smackdaddy
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Letang has proven himself to be a top pairing defensman.

Yakupov has not even played 82 games yet.
That's called moving the goal posts.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:33 PM
BigBenSF*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK 17 View Post
I question if you actually have watched Letang play this year, he's been hot garbage for the vast majority of the season. I think even Pens fans will agree with me, in saying that's a ludicrous asking price.
That doesn't completely negate his previous accomplishments, though. Letang has gotten better - and I expect him to rack up points like he has before once he fully recovers from his injury - but we have a massive logjam at defense. When Letang is healthy, he's a top-5 offensive defenseman.

Is he worth Okposo + Hamonic? I'd say yes, but I can't see the Islanders doing a deal like that, as they need Okposo + Hamonic more than they would need Letang.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:35 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
This, and Letang has been in a bit of a tussle with the Pens coaching staff as of late. It was clearly effecting him mentally in the off-season.

Anyone who has watched Letang in the last three years alone wouldn't be scared off by a month of bad play. Hes started to show signs of life lately as well.

There is no way Letang's talent just up and leaves him after being as good as he has been for so long. Everyone seems to just remember him for his offensive production last season. He's been a top end defender on a contending team for a while now.
People remember his defense in the playoffs which has been shaky at best. You want a 7 million a year guy to be able to shut down the other top lines as well as put up good point totals.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:36 PM
BigBenSF*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
yeah trading a defenseman is exactly what pittsburgh needs to do right now.

Brooks Orpik- Concussion
Paul Martin- Fractured tibia
Rob Scuderi- Broken Ankle

they should just ditch the idea of having a top 4 and use six 5-6 D-men.
This is more of a trade that would happen at the draft than anything else; not only would it be a better time for the Pens to trade a defenseman, but more teams might be comfortable with parting with a top line winger.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Koto

eberle

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:39 PM
smackdaddy
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
That doesn't completely negate his previous accomplishments, though. Letang has gotten better - and I expect him to rack up points like he has before once he fully recovers from his injury - but we have a massive logjam at defense. When Letang is healthy, he's a top-5 offensive defenseman.

Is he worth Okposo + Hamonic? I'd say yes, but I can't see the Islanders doing a deal like that, as they need Okposo + Hamonic more than they would need Letang.
If they traded Okposo and Hamonic it would be Milbury all over again. That is a bad trade for the islanders to make. Letang is not somebody you get to backstop your entire D corp and the problem is he's paid like someone who does.

He's Part B of a franchise pairing, with Part A being the cornerstone.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:46 PM
BigBenSF*

Quote:
If they traded Okposo and Hamonic it would be Milbury all over again. That is a bad trade for the islanders to make. Letang is not somebody you get to backstop your entire D corp and the problem is he's paid like someone who does.

Letang would be the #1 defenseman on about 10-15 teams.

There aren't enough elite defensemen in the NHL to validate your point, although I do understand why you would say that.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:51 PM
jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK 17 View Post
Yup because that's exactly what I said, why do people on this board feel the need to always fabricate things? Letang with his current contract along with his run of poor play will most certainly not get you a package like Okposo and Hamonic, that's all I'm trying to say.
Well lets look at what exactly you said.

[ I question if you actually have watched Letang play this year, he's been hot garbage for the vast majority of the season. I think even Pens fans will agree with me, in saying that's a ludicrous asking price.]

I think i see a difference in what you said and what your saying now.
Also i don't see many Pen fans agreeing with you.Just the opposite.

jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:52 PM
jacks

Quote:
How ironic considering how people peg Yakupov with the one with no value due to his slow start.
You trying to compare Tangers career to Yaks 40 odd games last season.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:58 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Letang would be the #1 defenseman on about 10-15 teams.

There aren't enough elite defensemen in the NHL to validate your point, although I do understand why you would say that.
I think Letang is a fine top pairing defenseman. I think he is best paired with a good defensive defenseman. I can see him carrying the pair in to some extent but the other guy having an important role. I actually thing a guy like Harmonic if he was LH would be the perfect partner for him.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 08:25 PM
smackdaddy
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks View Post
Nope. That's you.

Old
12-09-2013, 09:15 PM
jacks

Quote:
Quote:
Nope. That's you.
We're discussing Tanger and you come up with
[ How ironic considering how people peg Yakupov with the one with no value due to his slow start.] and you say i'm trying to compare Tanger career to Yaks 40 plus games.
Don't you just hate it when you get owned and can't admit it.

Old
12-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
Only problem is Letang is turbo expensive for the next forever. Yes he's a top level player but that's a heavy price tag.

Were it not for that, Jets would probably try to offer Wheeler, but even the Jets know that isn't enough value to get you talking. As for Evander Kane, he's on a reasonable long term contract, and he has nowhere to go but up. Plus Winnipeg is shallow on skill up front and heavy with RHD talent (Buff, Trouba, Bogo, Postma, Redmond). I don't see a fit there.
What top defender isnt? Subban is getting 8+ and Karlsson is 6.5 on his FIRST contract. Letang was half that. Karlsson will hit 10+ next time.

His contract isn't looking that bad. In fact, I'm pretty certain he's only 3.5+ this year.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Not that we would but... Pominville.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:09 PM
McVespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmError29 View Post
Wow the offers here are terrible. There has not been 1 enticing offer for Letang in this thread. Players that will cost to get Letang (using teams posted here):

Gardiner and JVR for Letang
O'Reilly and a 1st for Letang
Eberle and a 2nd for Letang
Okposo and Hamonic for Letang

Other teams (like Carolina or Winnipeg) don't have the pieces to get him or don't need him.
And a big no thanks from Oilers fan.

McVespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:55 PM
ObsessedCreative*

Quote:
If you can't see the distinction between these two players and the reasons behind hind why Letang gets leed way and has light years more value than yak... God help you!

ObsessedCreative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:57 PM
ObsessedCreative*

Quote:

Such great evaluation of a defender coming from a fan if the oiler organization and their stellar defensive corps!

ObsessedCreative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:59 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
is still an UFA last time I checked.
and letang is still very over paid last time i checked

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 12:18 AM
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
and letang is still very over paid last time i checked
Letang is overpaid at 3.5M? What is he? a 500K player?

I'd love Eberle here. Help with our PP and make it a legit threat, instead of inconsistant. Help Crosby out by creating space and being a threat.

66-30-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
What top defender isnt? Subban is getting 8+ and Karlsson is 6.5 on his FIRST contract. Letang was half that. Karlsson will hit 10+ next time.

His contract isn't looking that bad. In fact, I'm pretty certain he's only 3.5+ this year.
Agreed. I think the issue I see on these boards is a lot of people still have their minds stuck on the old CBA and what D-Men costed back then. It will be different going forward. Is Letang Subban? Probably not, but like you said, Subban is likely getting 8 + million per under this CBA. Letang is maybe a peg below and his contract will pay him as such. The deal he got is fair under this CBA.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 12:37 AM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well lets look at what exactly you said.

[ I question if you actually have watched Letang play this year, he's been hot garbage for the vast majority of the season. I think even Pens fans will agree with me, in saying that's a ludicrous asking price.]

I think i see a difference in what you said and what your saying now.
Also i don't see many Pen fans agreeing with you.Just the opposite.
I seriously don't understand what you're saying to me. The two quotes you posted from me have nothing to do with each other.

Max Kellerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Jules Winnfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flacko View Post
Eberle for Letang doesn't help the Oilers. They need a defensive guy to play with J. Schultz.
LMFAO. If you have a chance to get a guy like Letang, you don't give a rats ass about what Schultz needs. You'll have that guy in Klefbom to play with him anyways.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote