HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Kris Letang for a Top Line Winger

Old
12-10-2013, 01:17 AM
smackdaddy
All Aboard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
Such great evaluation of a defender coming from a fan if the oiler organization and their stellar defensive corps!

Is that all you got? Pretty weak argument.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 01:42 AM
Dirty Dan
Saturday Night Lupul

Pens won't trade letang unless they get a top 4 d-man in return, just too big a hole created to get a winger

Dirty Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 02:10 AM
ObsessedCreative*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dan View Post
Pens won't trade letang unless they get a top 4 d-man in return, just too big a hole created to get a winger
We'll you obviously know little to nothing about the pens blue liners and I assume haven't watched any pens games this year.

ObsessedCreative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 02:43 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
How ironic considering how people peg Yakupov with the one with no value due to his slow start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
That's called moving the goal posts.
No not really. I'm not saying Yak is worthless... just that his value is hard to judge. On one hand, he had a great rookie season. He's having a bad year this year on a bad team. And he's only played 60 something NHL games. So... while his potential is sky high, he's very much a skilled player that doesn't do a lot of the little things. He's also Russian. So while I don't really think the KHL threat is really a threat... there's always that doubt that you don't really have with someone from North America - or even Western Europe, like you do with a Russian who would be going to play in his home country. So again... I really think it's a non-issue. BUT I can see some teams and even HF posters being cautious regarding this.

The difference between him and Letangs poor start to the season is that we know what Letang can bring, as he's been doing it for the last couple of years. Yak on the other hand... we know what we saw last year, and think that he can continue developing on that season... but we've seen countless players have 1 amazing season, then do little else. Not saying that's the case with Yak... but until he proves otherwise, there'll always be that question mark there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I think Letang is a fine top pairing defenseman. I think he is best paired with a good defensive defenseman. I can see him carrying the pair in to some extent but the other guy having an important role. I actually thing a guy like Harmonic if he was LH would be the perfect partner for him.
Harmonic would be. However we'll never really know. But look at what Karlsson did with someone like Methot. Scuderi should be that guy for Letang... except he broke is ankle 11 games into the season.

Quote:
That's actually the last thing we need. Healthy, without Letang we'd look something like this. Which, most Pen fans would be okay with. Not as flashy with Letang... but still effective. Especially if it means another very good threat up front.

Martin - Orpik
Scuderi - Nisky/Despres
Bort - Maatta
Engo

Then let Orpik and Nisky walk - well ideally we trade them for something. However if Letang is moved, I could see keeping 1 of Nisky/Orpik around on a short term contract. Or see who hits FA, and perhaps grab someone like Girardi or Hainsey (depending on the price/term).

Martin - Scuderi
Despres - Girardi/Hainsey
Bort - Maatta
Dumo/Engo

Because as much as I don't mind Letang... we honestly do not need him to win. I'd rather have 2 strong pairings that are both decent defensively and meh offensively (as long as they don't have hands of stones), then someone like Letang, and weak pairings.

That said... I don't think it's going to matter. I expect we'll see something like this next year.

Letang - Scuderi
Martin - Despres
Bort - Maatta
Dumo

12-10-2013, 03:45 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
I actually think the pens can afford to lose him without getting a top 4 D back. Orpik, Martin and Scuderi are easily top 4 guys. One of Despres, Maatta and Niskanen should be able to do the job as the other top 4 D. I don't think Shero is going to trade Letang though. Especially with the news the cap is going up a good bit next year.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 04:53 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
With Martin playing the way he was and our prospects coming up we can afford to trade him. Forward is our pressing concern trading Letang for a defender just makes no sense and negates the need of a trade. We might get a defencemen back as part of a trade but not as the cornerstone.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
People remember his defense in the playoffs which has been shaky at best. You want a 7 million a year guy to be able to shut down the other top lines as well as put up good point totals.
This has been completely overblown, pens scored 2 goals in 4 games, how does Letangs defense stand out? he was far from the problem.

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK 17 View Post
I question if you actually have watched Letang play this year, he's been hot garbage for the vast majority of the season. I think even Pens fans will agree with me, in saying that's a ludicrous asking price.
Started slow coming off the injury but the last week or 2 hes really being turning it around

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 09:48 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
We'll you obviously know little to nothing about the pens blue liners and I assume haven't watched any pens games this year.
This is the type of post that is wrong with the internet. You disagree with me? YOU DON'T WATCH GAMEZ DURRRR.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:18 AM
jboyd919

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Letang is overpaid at 3.5M? What is he? a 500K player?

I'd love Eberle here. Help with our PP and make it a legit threat, instead of inconsistant. Help Crosby out by creating space and being a threat.
Last time I checked the Pens have the #1 power player int he league...

jboyd919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:23 AM
jboyd919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Just throwing things out there. We need to move cap.

I'd change that 2nd to a 1st but I doubt Avalanche would do that.
I also have to disagree is moving cap. The cap goes up to 71 mil next season.. therefore making plenty of room for Tanger and Malkin's new contracts, and also making room for our younger D-Men. If only Duper would start playing to his contract's worth, we'd be in good shape. I feel like he's just not shooting the puck as much as he used to.

jboyd919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:45 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
and letang is still very over paid last time i checked
he's not actually on his big contract yet, he's had a rough start to the season but has started to turn things around plus they've finally got him a good partner (Scuderi but unfortunately he's injured).

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote