HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Make and argument to keep Trotz and another to keep Poile.

Old
12-09-2013, 10:19 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Make and argument to keep Trotz and another to keep Poile.

I'm finding it hard to find reasons now and I've been a supporter of both.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Jarnberg

I cannot think of a good reason to keep either at this point. They've both proven that they cannot get us to the next level.

Trotz bungling the 2006-2007 team and the last team under Suter are all I need to see to let Trotz go. Again, done more with less and less with more.

Poile bungling Suter, Weber and the terrible off-season signings this year tell me all I need to know about him.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:45 PM
RCola88

Poile is the GM of the American National team. People think highly of him, so I don't see Nashville getting rid of him. Trotz, on the other hand, has to go. His early 2000s defense style is useless now. We need to grow our team in the area, so I think an offensive coach is the way to go with our defense.

RCola88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:52 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Poile is the GM for the National team is the reason he should be kept?

So in all the year here the only reason we should keep him is he was named GM for the US team?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Disclaimer: I'm ok with them being fired, but I want to make points because there are some good ones.

Trotz:

1. He's a two time Jack Adams finalist. Obviously well respected.
2. On the same note, he is on the coaching staff for Team Canada.
3. Two years ago, he led a really poor offensive team to having the best PP% in the game.
4. He has consistently taken sub-par teams to the playoffs.

Poile:
1. He has arguably the best track record of drafting and developing dmen. Ever. Suter, Weber, Hamhuis, Klein, Timonen (developed), Zidlicky (developed), Josi, Jones, etc.
2. He (and his staff) are incredible at late round drafting, particularly with goalies. Rinne, Hornqvist, Lindback, Mazanec, Erat, Santorelli (check out his VAN stats) and Hendricks are all 4th round or later.
3. He makes some bone headed trades every once in awhile (Gaustad), but he has also robbed people blind (Timonen, Lindback, Forsberg/Erat)
4. GM of team USA, so obviously well respected.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 01:52 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Disclaimer: I'm ok with them being fired, but I want to make points because there are some good ones.

Trotz:

1. He's a two time Jack Adams finalist. Obviously well respected.
2. On the same note, he is on the coaching staff for Team Canada.
3. Two years ago, he led a really poor offensive team to having the best PP% in the game.
4. He has consistently taken sub-par teams to the playoffs.

Poile:
1. He has arguably the best track record of drafting and developing dmen. Ever. Suter, Weber, Hamhuis, Klein, Timonen (developed), Zidlicky (developed), Josi, Jones, etc.
2. He (and his staff) are incredible at late round drafting, particularly with goalies. Rinne, Hornqvist, Lindback, Mazanec, Erat, Santorelli (check out his VAN stats) and Hendricks are all 4th round or later.
3. He makes some bone headed trades every once in awhile (Gaustad), but he has also robbed people blind (Timonen, Lindback, Forsberg/Erat)
4. GM of team USA, so obviously well respected.
Poile didn't develop guys like Timonen, Zidlicky, Suter, etc-- Trotz did.

I hardly give Poile credit for the Erat trade-- he would not have been traded if Erat didn't make him. Erat essentially made him do what fans have been clamoring for years.

Our European staff get most the credit for late round picks (and Mitch Korn for developing guys like Rinne). Poile hired them, so he get that credit. But if Poile gets the axe, in theory we should be able to keep our staff (and they need to make that a priority).

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Fair points. I was more referring to the Poile regime in general.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Persona5

I personally wouldn't fire either one of them. If I were to ask everyone who posts on these forums where the Preds would be if Rinne only played 9 of the first 30 games I would say most people wouldn't say around .500. The recent 5 games skid has also seen our team captain and leading goal scorer out for 3 of those games.

Some of the moves Poile made in the offseason have not turned out the way we had hoped but we knew Stalberg was a bit of a risk and I am still happy they signed him. Nystrom has been better than I thought he would be. Hendricks we could have done without but with the injuries we have had it probably is for the best. Cullen has been decent and has woken up Smith to an extent. I can't say Poile did all that bad with these signings. It simply hasn't come together like they hoped it would. Team chemistry is a tough thing and there is still time for things to get turned around. Without Rinne however I am not sure much can be done. He is simply leaps and bounds better than most goalies in the NHL let alone what we are forced to put out there night to night.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I personally wouldn't fire either one of them. If I were to ask everyone who posts on these forums where the Preds would be if Rinne only played 9 of the first 30 games I would say most people wouldn't say around .500. The recent 5 games skid has also seen our team captain and leading goal scorer out for 3 of those games.

Some of the moves Poile made in the offseason have not turned out the way we had hoped but we knew Stalberg was a bit of a risk and I am still happy they signed him. Nystrom has been better than I thought he would be. Hendricks we could have done without but with the injuries we have had it probably is for the best. Cullen has been decent and has woken up Smith to an extent. I can't say Poile did all that bad with these signings. It simply hasn't come together like they hoped it would. Team chemistry is a tough thing and there is still time for things to get turned around. Without Rinne however I am not sure much can be done. He is simply leaps and bounds better than most goalies in the NHL let alone what we are forced to put out there night to night.
Just want to chime in and express my support for your perspective. I had pretty low expectations for the season even before the injuries, so am not terribly disappointed, even though I think the team is capable of better. Though Trotz is getting a lot of flak for his system, I don't think the team has really executed the high forechecking/defensemen jumping into the offense/counterattacking game he wants to have us play.

The team is still under-talented by a fair margin, but I'm not entirely sure that was something correctable in the two off-seasons we've actually had $ to throw around. Bringing in a kid like Forsberg will help that in the long-term, but we need another 2 or 3 like him.

I'm sure the general attitude around here will disagree with you, but I'm with you.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote