HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

One last house call: Roy Halladay signs 1-day contract to retire as a Blue Jay

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2013, 10:31 AM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

vCash: 500
Everyone should check out this article on DJF reviewing BA and BP's prospect lists and notes on the Jays farm system. Quite exciting stuff to read.

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2013/1...p-ten-bonanza/

Old
12-18-2013, 10:48 AM
BlueForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
No its a bad rotation if guys like Josh Johnson have an ERA of 6.82 or Brandon Morrow an ERA of 5.63. I'm not saying career year, just provide pitching that allows the offense a chance to win us the game.
If Morrow can give us 14-8 record with a 3.50 ERA and Happ can give us 12-8 record with 4.00 ERA is our rotation that bad????

Add in Hutch for a 13-10 record and an ERA in the high 3's....we may have nothing to worry about.

Thats 39 wins from starters in the 3-5 slot that we were no where close to last year. Add 14 wins from Buerhle and another 16 from Dickey, thats 69 wins from our rotation. Not too bad. What you guys think is this realistic?

Old
12-18-2013, 10:57 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueForever View Post
If Morrow can give us 14-8 record with a 3.50 ERA and Happ can give us 12-8 record with 4.00 ERA is our rotation that bad????

Add in Hutch for a 13-10 record and an ERA in the high 3's....we may have nothing to worry about.

Thats 39 wins from starters in the 3-5 slot that we were no where close to last year. Add 14 wins from Buerhle and another 16 from Dickey, thats 69 wins from our rotation. Not too bad. What you guys think is this realistic?
I think that rotation is middle of the pack, with top half defense and what has the potential to be a top 5-10 offense we've got a chance to compete.

The issue is not so much about what Morrow, Happ and Hutch can provide, they're capable of #2, #5 and #4 numbers respectively, but it's whether or not they can deliver.

A guy with constant injury problems, an inconsistent starter who has shown flashes of average to above average SPing and a solid young pitcher whose coming off TJ

Old
12-18-2013, 11:12 AM
BlueForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I think that rotation is middle of the pack, with top half defense and what has the potential to be a top 5-10 offense we've got a chance to compete.

The issue is not so much about what Morrow, Happ and Hutch can provide, they're capable of #2, #5 and #4 numbers respectively, but it's whether or not they can deliver.

A guy with constant injury problems, an inconsistent starter who has shown flashes of average to above average SPing and a solid young pitcher whose coming off TJ
Prior to last season all three have proven they could. We are not going based on hope here. We are going based on history.

Morrow always averaged 10-11 wins prior to last season and that was the Jays shutting him down on pitch and inning counts. Happ has had 10 and 12 win seasons before. And Hutch even though coming off TJ will be dependable if not better as most pitchers coming of TJ come back stronger and better.

So its not that far of a stretch.

Old
12-18-2013, 11:16 AM
p.l.f.
use the force

I think AA said he had 4 deals for starters to potentially work on coming out of the Winter Meetings
Garza Tanaka Santana havent signed yet
Things are going pretty slow so there's still time

Old
12-18-2013, 11:22 AM
BlueForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
I think AA said he had 4 deals for starters to potentially work on coming out of the Winter Meetings
I agree. But two names if we dont get big names that I would like to get is Chris Capuano or Dan Haren. I think they have proven to be reliable in the past. Inning eaters.

Old
12-18-2013, 11:23 AM
topched

Quote:
Prior to last season all three have proven they could. We are not going based on hope here. We are going based on history.

Morrow always averaged 10-11 wins prior to last season and that was the Jays shutting him down on pitch and inning counts. Happ has had 10 and 12 win seasons before. And Hutch even though coming off TJ will be dependable if not better as most pitchers coming of TJ come back stronger and better.

Definitely agree it's not that far of a stretch...

But I think based on how AA and the FO acted last offseason I think most of us hoped we would be sitting here saying "it's not a stretch to see this rotation being a top 5/10 in baseball" rather than "it's not a stretch for this rotation to be average"

Old
12-18-2013, 11:24 AM
calcal798

Quote:
I agree. But two names if we dont get big names that I would like to get is Chris Capuano or Dan Haren. I think they have proven to be reliable in the past. Inning eaters.
Haren signed with the Dodgers FYI.

Old
12-18-2013, 11:24 AM
BlueForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
I also think he said four deals one being a tricky but doable three-way. But didnt state if it was strictly for pitching. Remember Butler's name from KC is still floating around out there. And another is possibly for a second baseman.

But who knows.

Old
12-18-2013, 11:25 AM
BlueForever

Quote:
Are you serious?? They still have him listed as a FA???? Weird.

Old
12-18-2013, 11:43 AM
habamillions

Quote:
Capuano signed too

Old
12-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Thorntonfan97
Jose Bautista: 22 HR

vCash: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by habamillions View Post
Capuano signed too
No hes still a free agent

Old
12-18-2013, 12:14 PM
EscapeGoat
We The North

Choo turned down a 140M/7yr deal from the Yankees. Boras is looking for something closer to what Ellsbury got.

Old
12-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Felstead
Boss Status

Only money I personally would spend on a pitcher this off-season would be Tanaka. Everyone else really isn't worth what they are commanding. So with that being said, its better to save the doe and wait for next years FA pitching market, its quite the talent heavy pool.

Old
12-18-2013, 12:23 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felstead View Post
Only money I personally would spend on a pitcher this off-season would be Tanaka. Everyone else really isn't worth what they are commanding. So with that being said, its better to save the doe and wait for next years FA pitching market, its quite the talent heavy pool.
Same. But, he's gonna be a Yank.

Old
12-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeGoat View Post
Choo turned down a 140M/7yr deal from the Yankees. Boras is looking for something closer to what Ellsbury got.
That $8 million difference must've been an insult to Boras and Choo. Funny thing is, Choo will be 32 in July, and his range has already declined in the outfield. He may end up being a DH half way through that seven years.

Old
12-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Felstead
Boss Status

Quote:
Same. But, he's gonna be a Yank.
Sure, I guess we save money then . What I'm saying is, worst case scenario. The Jays "SAVE" money that we could use next season.

Old
12-18-2013, 12:35 PM
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality

Didn't realize this until today. Marty Brown coached Tanaka while he was in Japan. Iwakuma aswell.

Old
12-18-2013, 12:39 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Didn't realize this until today. Marty Brown coached Tanaka while he was in Japan. Iwakuma aswell.

Old
12-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
#ninja

Old
12-18-2013, 01:37 PM
habamillions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
No hes still a free agent
****. I got him and nolasco mixed up. good call

Old
12-18-2013, 02:21 PM
humaneraser
Disregard username

Quote:

thats a lot of if's.....

Old
12-18-2013, 02:43 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Although it would be nice to pickup one of Jimenez or Santana or Garza it is highly unlikely. Even though the Jays first rounder is protected and it would be in their best interest to do so as all it is money its costing them.

That being said, the Jays have other options that would help them in their rotation at a lower cost if they wish to do so. Some starting pitchers still available are:

A.J Burnett
Bronson Arroyo
Dan Haren
Paul Maholm
Jason Hammel
Chris Capuano
Joe Saunders
Aaron Harang
Jason Marquis
Jake Westbrook
Scott Baker
Jon Garland
Barry Zito

Some of these guys will warrant guarranteed contracts. But some of these guys can probably be signed on minor league deals with a tryout for big team. But some of the guarranteed contracts on this list will be less then other names we have been stating and focusing on and in the end if we can get them it adds depth and options for our rotation. In the end does it make us better??? I think so if you can pluck one of those names and place in our roations along with Dickey, Morrow, Beurhle, and Happ.
just an fyi there is no comp pick attached to Garza

Old
12-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Longshot

Quote:

What exactly has Hutch proven?

He has 11 major league starts to his name and a Tommy John surgery.

At this point there is no evidence that Hutch can be a regular member of the rotation.

He is a young pitcher with upside coming off a serious arm surgery. Relying on him to be a top five starter in the AL East screams: "We're not serious about contending."

Old
12-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
What exactly has Hutch proven?

He has 11 major league starts to his name and a Tommy John surgery.

At this point there is no evidence that Hutch can be a regular member of the rotation.

He is a young pitcher with upside coming off a serious arm surgery. Relying on him to be a top five starter in the AL East screams: "We're not serious about contending."
That's a very obtuse way of looking at Drew Hutchison.

Closed Thread