Notices

Cuts, Sept. 28

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 12:59 PM
Kristofer

vCash: 500
Cuts, Sept. 28

Dan Cavanaugh, Rickard Wallin, Mika Hannula, Kyle Wanvig, Zbynek Michalek and Johan Holmqvist.

Says espn. http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/transactions

Now says wild.com http://wild.com/index.cfm?section=team&cont_id=206670

Old
09-28-2003, 01:10 PM
GaborikRules10!!!

Its pretty suprising to see Wallin and Wanvig cut before Foy and Burns. They must think Burns is ready this year or else u would think he would have gotten cut. Looks like Daigle is gonna make the team

Old
09-28-2003, 01:12 PM
theo6060

Hmmm, I'm a bit surprised, I thought Rickard Wallin was going to make the team this year. Oh well, I'm glad Burns is still around, he must really be impressing the staff.

Old
09-28-2003, 01:24 PM
ceber

Count me as surprised as well. I really didn't think Foy would stick around longer than Wallin or Wanvig. Wallin's probably the most surprising out of that group, to me.

Old
09-28-2003, 01:54 PM
Kristofer

Not really surprised. There's not many spots open on the team and you have to believe that Chouinard will take one of the spots, Ronning's? I don't think they're going to cut many vets, deffinetly not Hendrickson and Dowd like many fans seem to want. Probably wouldn't be that good of an idea right now anyway.
Not sure what they want to do with the D though. I've heard they want to have 8 D,Why so many? But that would keep roche on the team if they do.
Then you have to cut four forwards, Veilleux, Foy... Then I get confused and am not sure who they're going to keep. Brandner and Daigle have made a case for themselves with their preseaon play(haven't seen them but that's the way it sounds). But either could be cut. Then you have Burns who the Wild seem to believe would be better of staying here and learn in practices, like Bouchard. If that's how the see it, that's fine with me. But who are you going to cut? One of Daigle or Brandner might have to be cut if they keep Burns. Stevenson maybe? Or maybe they'll only go with 7 D and cut Roche and another forward?

It does seem like it's going to be a very hard choice for the Wild come final cut.

My head hurts.

Edit: Then what do you do if Dupuis and Gaborik sign?

Old
09-28-2003, 02:06 PM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaborikRules10!!!
Its pretty suprising to see Wallin and Wanvig cut before Foy and Burns. They must think Burns is ready this year or else u would think he would have gotten cut. Looks like Daigle is gonna make the team
Actually Lemaire was saying that he likes keeping promising players longer to develop them. Accordign to him when they go back to their teams its all games, games, games and no development.
I wonder why Wallin's demotion is causing such a stir?

Old
09-28-2003, 02:09 PM
DW

They keep 8 d-men all the time on this team. They did it last year. They will continue to move Marshall to forward. Keeping Dowd and Hendrickson was expected until atleast the final cut. Now that Wallin is gone, Darby can breath a little easier. I wonder if Darby has a one way deal which seems like the only logic of keeping both Darby and Chouinard. They both do the exact same thing. I didn't think both of these guys would make the final roster.

Old
09-28-2003, 02:36 PM
DW

Quote:
I wonder why Wallin's demotion is causing such a stir?
I think that Wallin brings promise of more skill then Darby or Dowd. These two guys are never going to improve on anything they do. If it wasn't for expansion, there NHL hockey days would be over.

JL likes steady guys so they won't be going anywhere soon. It's too bad, I was hoping when we got this team that they wouldn't hold onto these guys too long. These guys being all the expansion talent we got initially. The average age on this team is a little high for a fourth year team. Even DR has said that he would like to cut down on the abundance of older players. Hopefully, these young guys take there demotions in stride. Then when the time comes, they will have to take advantage of there chances.

I don't think many fans are expecting to cut 7 vets in favor of 7 rookies. But these guys times are done. Apparently one can never have enough "character players" on a team. I just wish we wouldn't have a half a team of character players still.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:01 PM
aylib
User and abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
I think that Wallin brings promise of more skill then Darby or Dowd. These two guys are never going to improve on anything they do. If it wasn't for expansion, there NHL hockey days would be over.

JL likes steady guys so they won't be going anywhere soon. It's too bad, I was hoping when we got this team that they wouldn't hold onto these guys too long. These guys being all the expansion talent we got initially. The average age on this team is a little high for a fourth year team. Even DR has said that he would like to cut down on the abundance of older players. Hopefully, these young guys take there demotions in stride. Then when the time comes, they will have to take advantage of there chances.

I don't think many fans are expecting to cut 7 vets in favor of 7 rookies. But these guys times are done. Apparently one can never have enough "character players" on a team. I just wish we wouldn't have a half a team of character players still.
I agree with you 100%. I do support replacing stagnant vets, just dont understand why Wallin is regarded so high.

Old
09-28-2003, 04:43 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaborikRules10!!!
Looks like Daigle is gonna make the team
Go Daigle!!

Old
09-28-2003, 05:00 PM
DW

Barring a miracle, Daigle will be one of 4 players that have any offensive skill that make the team. That doesn't mean chipping in an occasional goal. I'm saying players that can create and set up the other guys like Park, Antii, and others that can make them look more like goal scorers then they actuall are. Hopefully Walz can step up and add even more offense so we can have 5. That's PMB, Brunette, Zholtok, and Daigle and maybe Walz. (I wonder if Brandner can keep his good preseason going and maybe help out too.) That's going to be kind of scary. Hopefully the two holdouts will sign within the first month of the season. It looks like lots and lots of 2 goal games coming this season. Hopefully Manny and Rollie can survive the shelling to keep the team in games. Which I think they both are going to do.

Geez, I hope there is more to all this then what we are seeing.

Old
09-28-2003, 05:03 PM
vitogor

I'm not all that surprised, except I thought Roche would be going back to the A before Michalek. I could see Wallin and Wanvig going down, and I thought Hannula might stick a little longer, but still go to Houston eventually. I'm really glad that Foy is still around, way to go Matt! Burns still being with the team is surprising to me though, I thought the long contract negotiation would play against him and he would be sent down. I guess he really is something special, can't wait to see him in a game!

Old
09-28-2003, 05:08 PM
DW

I'll be at the X for the Montreal game. Maybe he signs before then.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:39 PM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
I'm a little dissapointed about Wallin being sent down, hopefully he'll be back with the team sometime during the season...

Btw, how far away is Holmqvist to compete with Manny and Roloson?

Old
09-29-2003, 05:01 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiza
I'm a little dissapointed about Wallin being sent down, hopefully he'll be back with the team sometime during the season...

Btw, how far away is Holmqvist to compete with Manny and Roloson?
Barring a trade, Holmquist is a third goalie.

Old
09-29-2003, 05:12 AM
Dan-o

Well, I just had a thought. I don't know if this possible under the CBA, but maybe the Wild sent down Wallin, Wanvig, etc. because they want to give Darby, Dowd, etc. a realistic chance of making the team. Get them in a few consecutive games and let them show whether they can still help the team. If they can't, maybe we cut them just before the season and re-call Wallin. (I thought Wallin played great in the game I saw). I don't know whether the young guys need to stay in Houston for x number of games or days before a recall.

I don't think the above is what's going on. But it also wouldn't surprise me. Everybody knows how Lemaire is with his loyalty. Maybe he wants to give the vets one more chance with some extra ice-time. Just a thought.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:11 AM
ceber

Wallin and Wanvig shouldn't feel too upset. They'll get to see the Strike Force and Sonic Boom!

http://aeros.com/team/news/?id=719

(Couldn't resist.. those poor hockey fans in Houston... It's not really a big deal or anything, just struck me as funny.. the names especially. )

Old
09-29-2003, 06:40 AM
Hecht

just as good as "guarenteed fight night" which got banned by the league and got a bunch of bad press

Old
09-29-2003, 07:49 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
What the vets not doing?

Old
09-29-2003, 10:07 AM
SchultzWild10

I think it is a mistake to keep people like Hendrickson and Marshall around. Last year they didn't show anything and I can't imagine either doing too much this year. I would much rather see Wallin or Wanvig. Lemaire needs to stop being so loyal to the veterans that can't play anymore and do what is better for the team.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:17 AM
MN_Gopher

I can see people want to see thr kids up, but they didnt produce last year, Veilliex lost his job from his play, Wanvig did nothing to stay up. Marshall plays a very physical game and is versitaile in playing both forward and D, Darby is our best face off guy and is a solid checking center. Neither of them lit it up last year. But they are better than the kids as of now. LeMaire isnt "loyal to vets" he understands that the regular season and the post season are different kind of games. He sticks with the people who are proven in those type of situations and lets those actions speak for them selves not what they did in pre season. Pre season does count and that is why Foy and Brander are still up, they have gone to the next level in pre season not just play like Wallin and Wanvig

Old
09-29-2003, 12:24 PM
DW

Well let's see. Veilleux already is a good checking grinder who is sort of a fiesty player and has potential to score and he's way cheaper. Darby can't, will not, never will be any kind of offensive player. His faceoff abilities are average which is why Chouinard was signed. What else is there with this guy. Hometown hero? PPPlease! He must have some photos locked away somewhere. Marshall is not a forward. He can't play D so we move him to forward for more physicality. What's the purpose of Johnson then? Isn't that his job.

If the team wants to be cheap, they could get rid of these guys and save some money and people still will show up to home games. They're way overpaying for checking foot soldiers but they won't pay the extra cash for there real players. Johnson makes like 1.2 mill and the Wild offer Gaborik 1.5 mill+ for his first year. Hendrikson makes 800,000 and they offer Dupuis 350,000 for a 1yr deal. Is there something wrong with this picture that I'm just not seeing? Every team needs guys to do the dirty work, but you can get these guys on Oct. 3 like the rest of the league does.

Old
09-29-2003, 02:46 PM
aylib
User and abuser

Here are some Senators players (I think its hard to argue with Ottawa's success at developing players).

Bonk drafted in 94, first season in 94.
Alfredsson drafted in 94, first season in 95.
Redden drafted in 95, first season in 96.
Hossa drafted in 97, first season in 97.
Philips drafted in 96, first season in 97.
Fisher drafted in 98, first season in 99.
Shastlvy drafted in 98, first season in 99.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:22 AM
MN_Gopher

So Veillieux has the potential to do what, oh yeah score and be a grinder. I have that same potential but until i or Stephane can prove it, guys like Darby and Dowd are better. You dont get a spot on potential, you get by showing u can.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:32 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
So Veillieux has the potential to do what, oh yeah score and be a grinder. I have that same potential but until i or Stephane can prove it, guys like Darby and Dowd are better. You dont get a spot on potential, you get by showing u can.
I wonder what Thornton could do in his first camp.

Closed Thread