HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Dirk Hoag over at OTF - RE: Poile/Trotz

Old
12-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Montross

vCash: 500
Dirk Hoag over at OTF - RE: Poile/Trotz

Http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/1...le-barry-trotz

Montross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:09 PM
predfan98

He's been super snarky about the Preds for some time, especially during the lockout. I don't even read him anymore.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:11 PM
deanwormer

I tend to agree with Dirk on this; after the Olympics we need to see the transition into retirement of Mr. Poile and Mr. Fenton given the reins.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:29 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
I tend to agree with Dirk on this; after the Olympics we need to see the transition into retirement of Mr. Poile and Mr. Fenton given the reins.
What evidence do we have that Fenton is the right guy?

Granted the owners know him, and if they feel comfortable with him they'd probably rather give him a shot first rather than some unknown.

Picking unestablished GMs is something fans have almost zero basis to go off of.

You have to know them personally, put them through rigid interviews, and check up with everyone who has dealt with him in the NHL mgmt circle. Not something fans or even most people on the inside can assess.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
What evidence do we have that Fenton is the right guy?

Granted the owners know him, and if they feel comfortable with him they'd probably rather give him a shot first rather than some unknown.

Picking unestablished GMs is something fans have almost zero basis to go off of.

You have to know them personally, put them through rigid interviews, and check up with everyone who has dealt with him in the NHL mgmt circle. Not something fans or even most people on the inside can assess.
As usual dulzhok makes good points

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Also, would firing Poile just to promote his assistant and keep most of the same scouts really make that big of a difference? Seems like changing the figurehead and not doing anything to really make changes.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 08:01 PM
hockey diva

I'm not sold on Fenton. I think it's telling that Buffalo has not shown any interest in him.

I think Poile has been willing take chances on D picks but usually takes the safe pick at forward. I'm not sure that is on the scouts.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 09:00 PM
cleangene

Give both jobs to Peter Laviollete. He will know what he wants and can go to management to get it.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I really don't like the Dirk hate. The guy is extremely passionate about the Preds, the team, and this city. I don't understand the animosity towards him. He has been nothing but kind whenever I have talked to him.

As for Fenton, I think you replace Poile after the Olympics and let Fenton guide us through the trade deadline and give him a few months to present a new direction and plan with his new coach. If we like it, we run with it. Dislike it, we try to get someone more talented.

Just like letting the admirals play rather than your Nashville Trashators

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
He's been super snarky about the Preds for some time, especially during the lockout. I don't even read him anymore.
^ This right here.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 12:38 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't want any apprentice of Trotz or Poile hired at this point. Clean the slate.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:55 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Yoshi View Post
I really don't like the Dirk hate. The guy is extremely passionate about the Preds, the team, and this city. I don't understand the animosity towards him. He has been nothing but kind whenever I have talked to him.

As for Fenton, I think you replace Poile after the Olympics and let Fenton guide us through the trade deadline and give him a few months to present a new direction and plan with his new coach. If we like it, we run with it. Dislike it, we try to get someone more talented.

Just like letting the admirals play rather than your Nashville Trashators
First I think one of the big problems people have with Hoag is he apparently doesn't actually go to many games

Second the problem with a trial period for Fenton is what do you do if he makes major moves (to try to impress the owners and get the permanent job)that handcuff us or misuse assets? Then whoever replaces him will be in an even deeper hole.

Everything will depend on how patient the owners are willing to be. If they are ok with a two year rebuild(this being year one) I would expect Poile to stay or if Poile retires Fenton to be promoted

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:59 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
I'm not sold on Fenton. I think it's telling that Buffalo has not shown any interest in him.

I think Poile has been willing take chances on D picks but usually takes the safe pick at forward. I'm not sure that is on the scouts.
I would be willing to bet that Fenton has been promised The GM slot here in a specified timeframe. That was my initial impression when he and Poile signed their last extensions. He may have told Buffalo "thanks but no thanks" for all we know.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I would be willing bet that Fenton has been promised The GM slot here in a specified timeframe. That was my initial impression when he and Poile signed their last extensions. He may have told Buffalo "thanks but no thanks" for all we know.
I think that is spot on, couple weeks ago Fenton was on the short list perhaps even the pick.

Byrddog is online now   Reply With Quote