HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jonathan Quick at the trade deadline

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2013, 09:28 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
It's impossible. Given Lombardi's resolve and philosophy, I doubt there is a price in the world that would convince him that it is a good idea to get rid of his Conn Smythe winning goaltender no matter how good the value may be. Scrivens and Jones are playing well, and our system and defense has been solid, but it is obvious that they aren't Jon Quick.

Most other fans will cite statistics, but Kings fans know the difference in their abilities. Quick has the ability to shut teams down single-handedly and make the unbelievably clutch save when everything is on the line, especially with his athleticism. There really is no comparison between him and Scrivens, also Jones, and the Kings aren't going to get rid of him to make a run with them any time soon.

I'm sure you can find his market value, but it won't mean much to the Kings. If a gun were to their head, the sky would be the limit. Hall would be a requirement.
1. Those are usually just means for trying to prove a false point, to be correct. It drives me insane when people cite stats as the be-all-end-all, ESPECIALLY when it comes to goaltending.

2. I doubt it. Goalies like Quick are so tough to peg specific value on. Their impact on the team is far greater than any trade could return.

I, as a Sharks fan who despises the Kings, think it would be absolutely asinine to trade Quick. In fact, despite how he frustrates me (as a rival), he's one of the few Kings I like, along with Voynov and Kopitar.

Old
12-09-2013, 09:43 PM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
That's such a joke of an argument. System goalies don't win cups.
This one did.

Oh, he also picked up one of these on the way.

Old
12-09-2013, 09:59 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
This one did.

Perhaps every team should be running the Kings system and throw in any old system goalie and grab themselves a cup and a Smythe for that goalie along the way

Old
12-09-2013, 10:01 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
wait, when did Scrivens magically become a reasonable alternative to Jonathan Quick. I know he's played well so far this year, but come on...
No kidding.

Scrivens: "pleasant surprise, but can he keep it up?"

Not Scrivens: "makes the franchise goalie, and Conn Smythe winner from 18 months ago, expendable"

Old
12-09-2013, 11:01 PM
KingPuckChoo

just because we have the 2nd best goalie in the world and the 3rd best goalie in the world, it doesn't mean that we have to trade the best goalie in the world

Old
12-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Reclamation Project
A Warm Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post
OK, let's try this again. Edmonton fans didn't like my last proposal, so I will ask HF, what is the value of Jonathan Quick if he is dealt at the trade deadline?

If Scrivens and Jones keep up their play, it is a likely possibility, if the return is high enough for LA.

Let's hear some proposals.
It's not possible. At all. Are you seriously telling me Jones, and his TWO NHL starts, make Quick expendable? Think again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddytheeagle20 View Post
i dont usually do trade proposals but here we go

to LA
B Shenn
2015 first
scott laughon
ray emery

to philly
quick
jake muzzin
willie mitchell

somthing around those lines?
No. Any scenario would start with 28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall04 View Post
Hall is even more untouchable then Quick to the Oilers, no deal to be made there
Nurse I would consider maybe Nurse + 1st, but that would be the most I would go which probably wouldnt be accepted either. Oh well
If you want a top three goalie, you don't have untouchable players. Hall would be coming to LA.

Edit: how fitting of a post number!

Old
12-09-2013, 11:34 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
OK, let's try this again. Edmonton fans didn't like my last proposal, so I will ask HF, what is the value of Jonathan Quick if he is dealt at the trade deadline?

If Scrivens and Jones keep up their play, it is a likely possibility, if the return is high enough for LA.

The value of Quick to the Kings is take an unreasonable proposal and add more to it.
And then most fans would say no way!

Old
12-09-2013, 11:55 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
This one did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Perhaps every team should be running the Kings system and throw in any old system goalie and grab themselves a cup and a Smythe for that goalie along the way
Hell, this guy isn't even a system goalie...

It would take Hall + Yakupov IMO and LA would still be stupid to do it

Old
12-10-2013, 12:05 AM
bossram

So LA is trusting Scrivens to be a starter?

Good luck with that...

Old
12-10-2013, 12:07 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

In an aggregate, Quick does benefit long term playing in a defensive system.

But he also saved the team and kept them in games when the system failed.

And he's not going anywhere. He would not be traded for a package a GM would be comfortable parting with.

Old
12-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Reclamation Project
A Warm Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossram View Post
So LA is trusting Scrivens to be a starter?

Good luck with that...
How did you reach that conclusion? I don't even think the OP is a Kings fan.

Old
12-10-2013, 01:16 AM
HolyShot*
Sniper

horrible proposal.

Old
12-10-2013, 01:24 AM
Nefarious
Classless Doty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
How did you reach that conclusion? I don't even think the OP is a Kings fan.
Conclusions often found on HFB are non sequitur.

Old
12-10-2013, 01:42 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Quick's stature is such in LA that if he wins another Conn Smythe, he'll literally get a statue in front of Staples Center with Gretzky, Magic and Chick Hearn.
Just to point out that this isn't an exaggeration. Leiweke, during our cup run, literally said that by winning the cup, Jonathan Quick would be the next person to receive a statue in front of Staples Center: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/ar...t-1195233.html

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Old
12-10-2013, 02:03 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Just to point out that this isn't an exaggeration. Leiweke, during our cup run, literally said that by winning the cup, Jonathan Quick would be the next person to receive a statue in front of Staples Center: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/ar...t-1195233.html
I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers. While Gretz made hockey interesting in LA, Quick made us champs.

In LA, where the Rams and Raiders won superbowls, where the Dogders have many World Series wins and where one of the best and winningest sports franchises of all sport resides, the Lakers...if you're not a champ, you're nothing. If you are a champ, then and only then are you an Angelino. Heck even the Angels and Ducks have their rings. The Galaxy here are multiple time winners. UCLA basketball, USC football...heck the Sparks have been champs haha.

Old
12-10-2013, 06:14 AM
Party Kane

Quicks value is hard to guage. He's been a very mediocre regular season goalie on one of the best team defense teams in the league. Sure hes good in the playoffs but the rest of the team picks it up defensively as well. He wouldnt be the answer to a team looking to make the playoffs.

Old
12-10-2013, 06:30 AM
slappipappi

It is "likely" only if "likely" means "impossibly unlikely".

Old
12-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Knight of the Realm
champs no more!

LA will not trade Quick-arguably the best goalie in the league.

Scrivens will probably bolt via free agency. Jones can back up next year.

Old
12-10-2013, 10:24 AM
TylerSVT*

Anyone saying Quick is a systems goalie who only gets wins due to the teams defensive depth is hilarious. Go watch that cup run in 2012 and tell me he didnt play out of his mind. He was the best goaltender i have seen in a LONG time during that cup run (yes, better than Thomas).

Old
12-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:

Yeah, no it's not.

Old
12-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Anyone saying Quick is a systems goalie who only gets wins due to the teams defensive depth is hilarious. Go watch that cup run in 2012 and tell me he didnt play out of his mind. He was the best goaltender i have seen in a LONG time during that cup run (yes, better than Thomas).
This.

At times Quick benefits from the Kings D, as we are seeing from Scrivens and Jones right now, but should the cracks appear, or when we hit the postseason, Quick is the one we trust to keep things going smoothly. Full Stop.

Old
12-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Brad Doty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
This.

At times Quick benefits from the Kings D, as we are seeing from Scrivens and Jones right now, but should the cracks appear, or when we hit the postseason, Quick is the one we trust to keep things going smoothly. Full Stop.
This.

Scrivens and Jones have answered the bell admirably, even better than expected, but we're not going to pin our hopes and dreams on them when we have a guy we KNOW has made the clutch, game-saving stops when needed.

That's not to shortchange Jones and Scrivens, but I think most of us on the Kings board agree the D tightened up when Quick went down. If the D plays like it is now when Quick returns, watch out.

Even If the thread is just for fun, which it seems it is, it's just another example of how hard it is to pin values on goalies. Someone mentioned Quick is a goaltender who wouldn't carry the team to the playoffs--I give you 2011-2012 as an exhibit. That guy carried our sub-2.0-scoring-pre-Carter team kicking and screaming to the playoffs after posting respectable numbers on some awful Kings teams. Don't sell him short. He thrives on a heavy workload. I'm sure there's a stat I could look up somewhere, but I'm fairly certain he's got a better record in games we've been outshot than in games we outshoot our opponents

Old
12-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Mats26
Cup Champs

It's more likely in the near future we will have to decide between Scrivens and Jones on who to trade. Any thought of trading Quick is ludacris. Look at what Lundquist signed for, we are lucky to have a top 3 goalie at that cap hit.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:23 AM
rajuabju
The One & Only

I lol'd.

His value is all your base.

Old
12-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Kane View Post
Quicks value is hard to guage. He's been a very mediocre regular season goalie on one of the best team defense teams in the league. Sure hes good in the playoffs but the rest of the team picks it up defensively as well. He wouldnt be the answer to a team looking to make the playoffs.
Is that why he was nominated for the Vezina in 2012?

Closed Thread