HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Introducing your 2014-15 Flyers - armchair edition.

Old
04-29-2014, 01:04 PM
FLYERSFAN18

vCash: 500
I would be fine going into next season with 2 or 3 young/inexperienced defenders as long as they were all athletic/mobile and we used the extra cap space to sign or trade for 2 more wingers to play in the top 6. We aren't going to be able to trade for a true #1 defenseman and we really can't afford to keep signing older players for large money and long term. I would be willing to work through the growing pains of having a young defense especially if it allowed us to bring in some offensive talent

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 01:06 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Moulson and Montoya are getting better raises than that.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Flyers Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by south jersey flyer View Post
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Matt Moulson ($3.800m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($2.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Matt Read ($3.625m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Jason Akeson ($0.900m)
Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Scott Laughton ($0.894m) / Adam Hall ($0.600m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.500m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m) / Mark Alt ($0.782m)
Oliver Lauridsen ($0.600m) /

GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Al Montoya ($0.601m)

BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)

LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,351,833; BONUSES: $330,833
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $7,748,167
well that defense wont make the playoffs

Flyers Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 01:21 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
I would be fine going into next season with 2 or 3 young/inexperienced defenders as long as they were all athletic/mobile and we used the extra cap space to sign or trade for 2 more wingers to play in the top 6. We aren't going to be able to trade for a true #1 defenseman and we really can't afford to keep signing older players for large money and long term. I would be willing to work through the growing pains of having a young defense especially if it allowed us to bring in some offensive talent
I don't think we have any clearly ready to make the jump as of now. Gostisbehere is probably the only one close & he may possibly need a little seasoning in the AHL first. I'm also not a fan of just handing roster spots to guys who don't deserve it, if they win it in camp is one thing but giving it to them based off reputation isn't a good way of going about things.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 01:22 PM
bauerhockey02

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I don't think we have any clearly ready to make the jump as of now. Gostisbehere is probably the only one close & he may possibly need a little seasoning in the AHL first. I'm also not a fan of just handing roster spots to guys who don't deserve it, if they win it in camp is one thing but giving it to them based off reputation isn't a good way of going about things.
But that's what Edmonton does

bauerhockey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 01:26 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerhockey02 View Post
But that's what Edmonton does
To their credit they have been patient with Klefbom & it looks like they're doing the same with Nurse. The latter had a pretty good camp this past year so I was a little shocked they sent him down without even giving him a 9 game look to be honest.

Old
04-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
I think one of Alt or Ghost will be on the roster to start next season. Whichever one does best in camp. Gus is probably gone.

Old
04-29-2014, 01:44 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
It wouldn't be optimal, but to continue playing Grossmann and Timonen or signing similar players isn't going to get us any closer. And if it meant would could add some real offensive talent to our collection of forwardsI would be able to live with it. There are players around the around the league who have NHL experience and could use a change of scenery or are stuck behind other players. Anaheim for example, has both Sbisa (underperforming) and Vatenen (stuck behind good depth) who might be available for a decent price.And both would be cheap contract wise

Old
04-29-2014, 01:44 PM
bauerhockey02

Quote:
To their credit they have been patient with Klefbom & it looks like they're doing the same with Nurse. The latter had a pretty good camp this past year so I was a little shocked they sent him down without even giving him a 9 game look to be honest.
This is true. I was really shocked with Nurse since they seemed high on him. I was just taking a friendly jab at them

Old
04-29-2014, 02:15 PM
south jersey flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Time View Post
well that defense wont make the playoffs
I guess not, but they might. I wouldn't mind taking a chance with them. You could use some of that cap space to sign a veteran, or reserve some of that space and make an acquisition at the trade deadline. You could also bring Grossmann back too.

south jersey flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 02:22 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
It wouldn't be optimal, but to continue playing Grossmann and Timonen or signing similar players isn't going to get us any closer.
I don't think anyone wants Grossmann here anymore. Timonen as bad as he has been this series still has shown this year he's capable of playing in the NHL. He could be a good stop gap so we don't feel the need to just throw these guys into the fire if they're not ready for it.

Quote:
And if it meant would could add some real offensive talent to our collection of forwardsI would be able to live with it.
I'm not seeing any "real offensive talent" out there unless you want a guy like Kane who will cost you a good price & comes with baggage. This draft isn't bringing that neither especially where the Flyers will be picking.

It's not a good idea to just throw a young kid in there for the hell of it if you admit he's not ready for it. I'm fine with leaving a spot open for the young guys to possibly win at camp but when you leave multiple open you're basically telling them be complacent & not stride to be better because there's a good chance they'll be on the roster regardless of how they play.

Quote:
There are players around the around the league who have NHL experience and could use a change of scenery or are stuck behind other players. Anaheim for example, has both Sbisa (underperforming) and Vatenen (stuck behind good depth) who might be available for a decent price.And both would be cheap contract wise
There's a good chance Sbisa will be out the NHL soon so I have no interest there & Vatenen is interesting but may be redundant now with Gostisbehere here.

Old
04-29-2014, 02:41 PM
south jersey flyer

The thing is, we know what we get from Gustafsson. We know he can play good minutes when he's paired with Schenn. He could probably play well with Coburn too. Alt is the real unknown here. Gostisbehere and Hagg could also get also make the team as well.

It would be good to have a veteran signed to a tryout contract, though, in case none of the young guys look like they're ready.

south jersey flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 04:59 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Dan Boyle has been a shell of his former self lately. Shark fans will tell you they don't really want him back. I don't want to give another 2-3 year deal out to a player who is already over the age of 37. We always see people complaining about 35+ contracts(not you just in general) and people want to bring Boyle on board till he is 40? It doesn't make much sense.

Callahan I would love but he is going to get a boat load of cash and term. I would not be happy going 6.5 million for 7 years with him. Other people are extremely concerned with the way he plays and how long he will hold up. If he could be had for a 5 year deal around 6.5 it might be a little different. That is top line pay though for a guy who has injury problems and doesn't produce like a top line player.

A second line of Read-Couts-Callahan would be oh so sweet though.

I am indifferent to Nitikin, I actually would hope Ghost can make the team out of training camp and take that #6 spot instead of us having to over pay another bottom pairing defender.
Quote:
I am not in favor of signing Dan Boyle, unless it's for a one-year deal, and Dan Boyle will not accept a one-year deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
This team is not even close to winning a cup. Get them kids playing time and invest into the future. Dan Boyle for a year does not help them...
I'm not a huge fan of Boyle, his recent play, or potential cap hit/age either...but he's certainly a better option than what we've seen from Kimmo for the past couple months. I'd throw Markov out there as an option, but I'm still not sold he won't get hurt at the drop of a hat.

If we roll the dice with one of the kids, I'd like to throw some money at a guy like Callahan or Radim Vrbata --- giving Giroux a LW sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I like this, but there's no way Nikitin is only carrying a 3 million dollar cap hit on his next contract. He'll be close to MacDonald's cap hit.
You think? I'm not sure...he kinda flies under the radar in CBJ. I think $3-4m is very reasonable for a depth guy

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Boyle, his recent play, or potential cap hit/age either...but he's certainly a better option than what we've seen from Kimmo for the past couple months. I'd throw Markov out there as an option, but I'm still not sold he won't get hurt at the drop of a hat.

If we roll the dice with one of the kids, I'd like to throw some money at a guy like Callahan or Radim Vrbata --- giving Giroux a LW sniper

You think? I'm not sure...he kinda flies under the radar in CBJ. I think $3-4m is very reasonable for a depth guy
I would much rather have Markov than Boyle but I think Markov resigns in Montreal. He is their #1 not Subban. He plays the toughest assignments up there and does well against them. The only problem is the age on these guys. Markov I think could be fully healthy though, he had a good year this year. He wants a three year deal also. Also would be a nice addition to he second PP unit.

Vrbata is one of the more underrated players in the NHL. I do not know how much he played left wing or not but I would like him here. He would be much cheaper than Callahan too probably, coming in around 4.5 million or so I think.

04-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Prongo
Beer

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...abres-20140429

Quote:
The 31-year-old is just three seasons into a 10-year contract signed in 2011. He has a limited no-trade clause, but the Sabres asked him to supply a list of teams to which he’d accept a trade. Nothing came of the talks, but there’s reason to believe chatter will begin again.

“I think if they want to move me, they can move me,” said Ehrhoff, who thinks he’ll be back next season. “So far, I do. We’ll see. Obviously, it’s not up to me and that remains to be seen.”

Whether he wants to be part of the Sabres’ rebuild is another matter.

“Um,” Ehrhoff said before taking a long pause. “I signed a long-term commitment with the team, and as long as they want me to be here I’m going to do my best for the team. That’s it.”

Ehrhoff led the Sabres with 27 assists and ranked fourth with 33 points in 79 games. His minus-27 rating was seventh worst in the NHL, and he often appeared uninterested as the season dragged on.

“It’s definitely tough with the season we had,” Ehrhoff said. “With a season like that, you’re glad to get it over with and start fresh with the new season.”
Looks like he is going to be available and moved this off season. Would love to grab him for the right price of course.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 09:00 AM
Curufinwe

If Ehrhoff is traded and then retires with one year left on his contract, the Sabres get hit with a $10 million recapture penalty in the 2020-21 season.

Old
04-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Prongo
Beer

Mckenzie on TSN radio said he thinks there will be some substantial movement from St Louis this off season. Another team I would love to try and poach a player or two off of. They need to score more goals when playing in a division with the Blackhawks he said as well.

Old
04-30-2014, 04:33 PM
bauerhockey02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Mckenzie on TSN radio said he thinks there will be some substantial movement from St Louis this off season. Another team I would love to try and poach a player or two off of. They need to score more goals when playing in a division with the Blackhawks he said as well.
The trade boards have Blues fans asking about Shattenkirk and they want a second line center as part of the deal but they turn down nearly everything. I don't know what the actual GM would want but it could be an interesting story to watch. Shatty and Coburn may not be a bad pairing to have but that would be an extremely expensive D if we didn't make some other moves...well it is expensive already but I think everyone knows what I mean.

Old
04-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerhockey02 View Post
The trade boards have Blues fans asking about Shattenkirk and they want a second line center as part of the deal but they turn down nearly everything. I don't know what the actual GM would want but it could be an interesting story to watch. Shatty and Coburn may not be a bad pairing to have but that would be an extremely expensive D if we didn't make some other moves...well it is expensive already but I think everyone knows what I mean.
Pretty much. Blue fans value their players a ton like other small fan bases do. They don't want to trade their players unless they are getting a substantially better player coming back. I think Spezza could be a target of theirs and Berglund being a big piece in the trade actually. It makes sense, Spezza even has a low salary for his final year and they could maybe re-sign him there too.

Old
04-30-2014, 04:44 PM
deadhead

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Matt Moulson ($3.800m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($2.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Matt Read ($3.625m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Jason Akeson ($0.900m)
Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Scott Laughton ($0.894m) / Adam Hall ($0.600m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.500m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m) / Mark Alt ($0.782m)
Oliver Lauridsen ($0.600m) /

GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Al Montoya ($0.601m)

BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)

LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,351,833; BONUSES: $330,833
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $7,748,167
Think I'd keep Streit with McDonald, play Ghost with Coburn, and leave Alt with Hagg in Allentown? and let them play together for half a season at least, eventual replacements for Streit. Have Leier play there as well.

Don't care if it's Moulson or another winger, trade Vinnie for a real winger and keep building up young depth.

People fixate on stars, but where did the Caps end the season?
Give me three solid D pairings and four solid lines, let them play together for a year or two, and have Mason turn out to be for real, and I think you have a perennial cup contender in a couple seasons.

deadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 05:59 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The Flyers might have to go to with Option 2 this season.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-...erve-LTIR-work

Grossmann should be traded for a pick even if they weren't near the cap ceiling.
I wouldn't be surprised if Holmgren doesn't know that is an option.

Old
04-30-2014, 07:54 PM
FLYERSFAN18

We should go all out to get Giroux another winger or two this offseason. Absolutely no top end talent outside of Giroux and Voracek, maybe couturier in a few years but not yet. And it's not like we are going to be able to significantly be able to upgrade the defense (like getting an actual #1).

I sure hope that rumored trade Prongo posted a couple days ago of a top pairing defenseman, a 1st and a 2nd for Eberle and the #3 pick is true. And if it is we should send Coburn packing ASAP for that trade.

Old
04-30-2014, 08:55 PM
The Dream
User Registered

1. Trade the Schenn Brothers
2. Attempt to trade Vinny and Hartnell
3. Trade Grossmann
4. ?????????
5. Win Stanley Cup

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 09:05 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
We should go all out to get Giroux another winger or two this offseason. Absolutely no top end talent outside of Giroux and Voracek, maybe couturier in a few years but not yet. And it's not like we are going to be able to significantly be able to upgrade the defense (like getting an actual #1).

I sure hope that rumored trade Prongo posted a couple days ago of a top pairing defenseman, a 1st and a 2nd for Eberle and the #3 pick is true. And if it is we should send Coburn packing ASAP for that trade.
Radim Vrbata

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Flyerss

i just want to see this at the begging of the season

xxx-Giroux-Voracek
Akeson-Couturier-Read
xxx-Laughton-Simmonds
xxx-Lecavalier-Hall

Coburn-AMac