HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLVII

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I haven't seen this mentioned (maybe it was) but I just saw this on Spector's site, though I couldn't find the original comment.

"Pierre LeBrun recently reported a Canadiens source strongly denied they had interest in Stastny."
I like the word strongly and as a Avs fan i'm strongly happy with this quote .

Last edited by Frenchy: 12-11-2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: typo ... stupid frenchy
Old
12-11-2013, 10:37 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I haven't seen this mentioned (maybe it was) but I just saw this on Spector's site, though I couldn't find the original comment.

"Pierre LeBrun recently reported a Canadiens source strongly denied they had interest in Stastny."
Oh yeah? Well our insider Adrian Dater said in his post game blog that he thinks the Avs will do something at some point soon, and that a defenseman and a pick will get Stastny.

Old
12-11-2013, 10:42 AM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Oh yeah? Well our insider Adrian Dater said in his post game blog that he thinks the Avs will do something at some point soon, and that a defenseman and a pick will get Stastny.
If you have ever listened to Dater's podcast, you would see how he comes to these predictions. Pulls them out of his booty.

I could see us bringing in 2 defenseman. Top 4 LH and Top 4 RH. Barrie has not been good enough.

Old
12-11-2013, 10:43 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Friedman says the talks between Florida and Colorado were serious and that they may talk again.

Old
12-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Stastny to the Habs makes no sense to me. He's not a really big upgrade on any of their centers except Desharnais. And if anything, I'd think the Habs would be looking to divest themselves of a pivot since they want to move Galchenyuk to that position.

Old
12-11-2013, 10:44 AM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

Quote:
Friedman says the talks between Florida and Colorado were serious and that they may talk again.
I wonder what the price is for Kulikov. I think, if bought low, he could turn his game around and would be a really good fit for the Avs.

Old
12-11-2013, 10:46 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
If you have ever listened to Dater's podcast, you would see how he comes to these predictions. Pulls them out of his booty.

I could see us bringing in 2 defenseman. Top 4 LH and Top 4 RH. Barrie has not been good enough.
If they're targeting Kulikov, then I'd like to see them try Nikitin as well. He's played the right side in the past with Tyutin.

Old
12-11-2013, 10:48 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 150
Dater said over in his Redit chat he thinks Stastny is staying and said on the radio after the Vancouver game that he doesn't think they make a big trade. Maybe he heard something new but considering how especially clueless he's been this year I have my doubts. If he reported trade rumors about anyone other than Stastny I might believe it. He had zero knowledge about anything with Florida going on.

Last edited by tigervixxxen: 12-11-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old
12-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Avs71

Quote:
So you're saying there's a chance.

Something needs to be done. Essentially the Avs have 1 NHL defenceman right now. Kulikov's potential would at least give us something to be excited about on the back end, other than EJ's play and Hejda returning soon.

I read those Dater quotes too. He seems incredibly clueless. It's a good thing he is going to be behind a paywall soon. Less people will use his "insider knowledge."

Old
12-11-2013, 11:19 AM
hockeyfish

vCash: 50
Quote:
I have to imagine it was McGinn who would have been going the other way, and the Tanguay setback is what caused the Avs to pull out.

Perhaps they try again with other players.

Old
12-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Please get us good defenseman!

Old
12-11-2013, 11:56 AM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
Dater said over in his Redit chat he thinks Stastny is staying and said on the radio after the Vancouver game that he doesn't think they make a big trade. Maybe he heard something new but considering how especially clueless he's been this year I have my doubts. If he reported trade rumors about anyone other than Stastny I might believe it. He had zero knowledge about anything with Florida going on.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!

I don't want to lose Stastny .

But if Dater says that he is staying, you can bet your sweet money on him leaving .

Dude is clueless...

Old
12-11-2013, 12:05 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

He wrote in the same blog that the Avs are trying to move Stastny for a Dman and pick and also that they are still mulling over if they want to re-sign him.

Old
12-11-2013, 12:08 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/410821909425565696
@mirtle
Interesting name potentially in play is Shawn Matthias in Florida.

yes please

Old
12-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
He wrote in the same blog that the Avs are trying to move Stastny for a Dman and pick and also that they are still mulling over if they want to re-sign him.
So he's pretty much saying Stastny might be traded, but he might be re-signed. If Stastny is traded he will tell us all he told us so, and if he is re-signed he'll say the exact same thing.

What a disgrace. We all could have figured that out on our own.

Old
12-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Jeff Marek said the same thing the other day. I don't see him as an "insider" but he was the first to say the Avs had serious interest in Kulikov.

Old
12-11-2013, 03:40 PM
zxcvnm

It seems our best chances of landing the defenseman we want are to target

(a) Aging veteran defenseman
E.g. Markov

(b) High ceiling defenseman who has struggled mightily
E.g. Kulikov

(c) Promising prospect on a team looking to win now
E.g. Gormley

Have I missed a category? What players would you like to target from each?

Personally, I don't think enough attention has been paid to the third category. If we are willing to take on the risk of an unproven prospect, we could get someone who is able to crack our lineup now and fill that top pairing role way down the line. Such a player, like Gormley, won't come cheap, but seems like a safer bet to me than Kulikov and a better fit with our youth than Markov (who isn't likely to be traded anyways).

Old
12-11-2013, 03:46 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

When you look at the teams the Avs will have to face in the West one thing is certain. They need to get bigger up front. Most teams are huge, and lean on guys. Hanzal, Berglund, Backes, Getzlaf, Carter, etc. All these guys are so hard and physically taxing to play against.

They need to find their own Brian Bickell type player.

Old
12-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvnm View Post
It seems our best chances of landing the defenseman we want are to target

(a) Aging veteran defenseman
E.g. Markov

(b) High ceiling defenseman who has struggled mightily
E.g. Kulikov

(c) Promising prospect on a team looking to win now
E.g. Gormley

Have I missed a category? What players would you like to target from each?

Personally, I don't think enough attention has been paid to the third category. If we are willing to take on the risk of an unproven prospect, we could get someone who is able to crack our lineup now and fill that top pairing role way down the line. Such a player, like Gormley, won't come cheap, but seems like a safer bet to me than Kulikov and a better fit with our youth than Markov (who isn't likely to be traded anyways).
Yep, I think these are our options for this season. Next off-season doesn't look that much better, so I don't know how they can fix this defense. I don't know what the hell happened to Barrie last off-season, he was so great last season. He flourished under Sacco, but sucks under Roy. How is that even possible? Elliott is not strong enough for NHL, Siemens is at least one season away from NHL. Bigras is our best chance.. Yuk! We don't have any prospects ready to step up, so only option is to trade for one!

At this point I see our options to be A or B. Trade for aging vet or struggling, but potential defenseman.

Last edited by Colorado Avalanche: 12-11-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old
12-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
When you look at the teams the Avs will have to face in the West one thing is certain. They need to get bigger up front. Most teams are huge, and lean on guys. Hanzal, Berglund, Backes, Getzlaf, Carter, etc. All these guys are so hard and physically taxing to play against.

They need to find their own Brian Bickell type player.
It's not easy to get guys like that. Skill and size. That's expensive. Toronto overpaid for one last off-season, look what happened (Clarkson), same with New Jersey, they signed Clowe for size and grit, look what happened. You have to overpay and most of the time these guys really regress after 30 years, so not easy thing to do.

Old
12-11-2013, 03:56 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Size isn't going to be an easy fix. That's not their identity and none of the prospects fit the bill.

How do other teams build a competent defense? Draft them? That's probably going to have to remain plan A. I think Roy is shopping in the upside aisle, so either B or C. There is a reason why they are waiting so long to make a move and I highly doubt it's because they are oblivious to their problems. Those problems are on offense right now anyway. They know they have to add more defensive talent.

Old
12-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Carter is hard to play against?

Old
12-11-2013, 04:02 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2MacKinnon View Post
Carter is hard to play against?
A big guy that can skate like he can is hard to defend. When you are that big, you don't really need to use your size, it is still effective. Penner is extremely lazy, and doesn't hit, but he is still a hard guy to contain because he is so big.

Old
12-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Size isn't going to be an easy fix. That's not their identity and none of the prospects fit the bill.

How do other teams build a competent defense? Draft them? That's probably going to have to remain plan A. I think Roy is shopping in the upside aisle, so either B or C. There is a reason why they are waiting so long to make a move and I highly doubt it's because they are oblivious to their problems. Those problems are on offense right now anyway. They know they have to add more defensive talent.
I dunno how teams normally build their defense, but checking top-20 defenseman(by points), I noticed that 12 out of 20 have been drafted by their team, 5 have been traded, 3 have been signed through free-agency. So there's still slim chance we could get one of those guys through trade or signing from free-agency, but not huge chance. There are so much demand for great defensemen.

I miss Blake. He would be perfect for us.

Old
12-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
A big guy that can skate like he can is hard to defend. When you are that big, you don't really need to use your size, it is still effective. Penner is extremely lazy, and doesn't hit, but he is still a hard guy to contain because he is so big.
But they will think It's so ****ing hard to play against Avalanche, because they got so much speed! Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog etc. That's our strength offensively and will be our identity for a long time. Sure we could use one Deadmarsh or something, but where do you get guys like him? Not easy.

Closed Thread