HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLVII

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2013, 04:25 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
The Avs are trying to mold their forwards after Chicago, so I think they're going more from speed. Besides, Bickel was a giant enigma until he was about to become UFA age. Whose to say a guy like McGinn couldn't do that?

I'd focus more on the defense than worrying about a forward. Kulemin would be an interesting UFA target for size up front, or Brian Boyle.

Old
12-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
I really like Kulemin. Would love to get him and Goc/Ott for our third line.

Kulemin-Goc/Ott-Talbot would be awesome.

Old
12-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
But they will think It's so ****ing hard to play against Avalanche, because they got so much speed! Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog etc. That's our strength offensively and will be our identity for a long time. Sure we could use one Deadmarsh or something, but where do you get guys like him? Not easy.
No, not easy, that's for sure. But it's not necessarily big guys we need, just ones willing to pay a price in front of the net, like a Brunette, or a Svatos. Nothing wrong with speed, but the problem right now is defenses are clogging up the slot and the Avs are falling into the trap of forcing passes/shots into traffic they know won't get through. We need a mucker to get into that area and create some holes, get some deflections, and pounce on rebounds. Then the speedy guys will have that much more room to do what they need to do.

Old
12-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Out of boredom with the Avs rumors disappearing, I'm choosing to intentionally read into Patrick's choice of words today about Hejda and Wilson when he said, "I think they both gonna play Saturday. That's the objec....that's part of the plan anyway."

Meaning Wilson is part of a trade on Sunday.

Old
12-11-2013, 08:25 PM
agentblack

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
The Avs are trying to mold their forwards after Chicago, so I think they're going more from speed. Besides, Bickel was a giant enigma until he was about to become UFA age. Whose to say a guy like McGinn couldn't do that?

I'd focus more on the defense than worrying about a forward. Kulemin would be an interesting UFA target for size up front, or Brian Boyle.
is this why we suck against the oilers?,

Old
12-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I really like Kulemin. Would love to get him and Goc/Ott for our third line.

Kulemin-Goc/Ott-Talbot would be awesome.
I haven't watched Kulemin too closely, but I wouldn't mind him for the 3rd line as a second option if he's cheap. He'll be a UFA this summer too.

My preference though is to have Matthias center Ott and Talbot, and get Mitchell the eff out of here. So sick of his selfish routine that kills the play all the time and only occasionally produces a goal.

I think an Ott-Matthias-Talbot line could be similar to my favorite ever 3rd line, the KGB line. All pretty sound two way players that all have great forechecking games.

Ott plays the Barnaby agitator role with skill. Matthias plays the big two way center role like Gratton, and Talbot more or less has Kono's forechecking style and defensive presence with a little less offense.

Old
12-11-2013, 11:11 PM
mpp9

Seeing as how there's a strong chance Despres is dangled for a winger this season, I was wondering what you all think about McGinn at this point in his career. Most Pens fans will lose their minds if we make that swap, but I think he could be a good fit.

Could he be a poor man's Neal with Sid and Kunitz?

Old
12-11-2013, 11:33 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

He'd fit better than Kobasew did. McGinn is a luxury to have, a complimentary player. Not a first liner but does not look out of place if he needs to play there due to injuries or whatever. He has a great shot and is a physical winger that scores more than is a playmaker. He's streaky, plays hard and hits hard, though seems to fall out of favor when he isn't scoring. His contract is dirt cheap ($1.75 mil!!), will be a RFA but even factoring in a raise is a nice asset for any team to have going forward. Posts on the main board have characterized him as more of a grinder, third liner and that's not true at all. I would love to keep him, as I said a nice complimentary cheap asset to have that can be plugged in anywhere in the lineup. But I understand someone has to go in a deal and other pieces we have are just too important.

Old
12-11-2013, 11:39 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Out of boredom with the Avs rumors disappearing, I'm choosing to intentionally read into Patrick's choice of words today about Hejda and Wilson when he said, "I think they both gonna play Saturday. That's the objec....that's part of the plan anyway."

Meaning Wilson is part of a trade on Sunday.
I like the way you think.

Old
12-11-2013, 11:44 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
I dunno guys...

It's been painfully obvious that the Defense has needed help and nothing has yet to be done.

I hope that changes soon. I think the Avs CAN be a playoff team, but they cannot afford to be closer to the .500 team that they've been the last stretch. I don't think they're quite as good as the 14-2 team they started out as, but I think they're closer to that team than the 6-7 team they've been since.

But the holes are obvious now, and they need to be filled accordingly.

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
12-11-2013, 11:46 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I dunno guys...

It's been painfully obvious that the Defense has needed help and nothing has yet to be done.

I hope that changes soon. I think the Avs CAN be a playoff team, but they cannot afford to be closer to the .500 team that they've been the last stretch. I don't think they're quite as good as the 14-2 team they started out as, but I think they're closer to that team than the 6-7 team they've been since.

Nothing has been done yet, but I think it's obvious given the Kulikov rumors that Roy and Sakic know the defense needs help and bad. I think something will happen.

I wonder if Coburn becomes available again. Philly looks like they're going to go on a run and then they crash and burn.

Old
12-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
I wonder what the asking price for Edler is. He's struggling this season and has had a rough playoffs for two straight years but he's a pretty good defenseman who can put up points. He's not that elite #1 defenseman some expected him to become after his first few years in the league but he's still good.

Old
12-12-2013, 06:11 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I wonder what the asking price for Edler is. He's struggling this season and has had a rough playoffs for two straight years but he's a pretty good defenseman who can put up points. He's not that elite #1 defenseman some expected him to become after his first few years in the league but he's still good.
one of canucks beat writers reported that he wanted from wings järnkrok, tatar, smith and 1st rounder. holland didn't want to give up on first rounder so deal broke down.

so that is pretty good prospect, nhl ready 2nd/3rd liner, around #5 level of dman and first rounder (18th ovr.).

but as canucks would look to be set on D anyway, they don't necessarily need dman back anymore. so something similar to what ryan and nash got, i'd think.

good, youngish roster player with upside
good prospect
1st rounder

something like that. nash trade got two roster players, though.

or something like o'reilly.

Old
12-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
I'm really getting a kick out of the Sens fans that think Zibanejad will be as good or better than Landeskog. This is the same fanbase that overhyped Rundblad, Silfverberg, Weircioch, Cowen, Ceci and the list just goes on. We're not talking top pairing defenders, first line wingers and centers, we're talking good but not great players...

I'd be very happy to add Cowen or Weircioch for a reasonable price; but that trade discussion with Landeskog has skipped all the way to ludicrous speed.

Old
12-12-2013, 12:05 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
I dunno guys...

The problem is that no one is trading defensemen that are playing well right now.

Old
12-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
I dunno guys...

The holes were obvious at the beginning of the season. The fact that the goaltending was good enough to mask the many deficiencies of the defense changes nothing.

The Avs can't afford to get swept up in the fervor just because they got off to a much-better-than-expected start. Any moves need to be made to plug holes long-term, not an immediate fix.

Yeah, it'd be nice to get one more top-four defenseman, but who really fits that bill? Kulikov? He's a gamble and will probably cost a lot even with Tallon eventually selling low. Anyone else will likely cost a core player, and I don't think the Avs can afford to boot another forward given how much the offense is already struggling.

We've already read reports that the Avs have been actively looking for a trade and nearly got one done, so they know what's up. I don't blame them for not putting too much urgency on trying to fix this below-average blueline corps. Remember the last time the Avs made a big trade to bring in a top-pairing defenseman, it appears to have worked out but no one can argue it was a very costly deal. You really want to pull off a trade like that right now?

Old
12-12-2013, 12:21 PM
agentblack

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
The problem is that no one is trading defensemen that are playing well right now.
A million times this. People talk about top 2 or top 4 defenseman like you can pick one up at Walmart. And once Kulikov starts playing reasonably well again they wont move him, esp. for just McGinn.

Old
12-12-2013, 12:43 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I'm really getting a kick out of the Sens fans that think Zibanejad will be as good or better than Landeskog. This is the same fanbase that overhyped Rundblad, Silfverberg, Weircioch, Cowen, Ceci and the list just goes on. We're not talking top pairing defenders, first line wingers and centers, we're talking good but not great players...

I'd be very happy to add Cowen or Weircioch for a reasonable price; but that trade discussion with Landeskog has skipped all the way to ludicrous speed.
No offense to Mars, but that whole fanbase overrates every single prospect they draft. Much more than any other Canadian team I have ever witnessed.

Old
12-12-2013, 02:10 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Very true and that is why so many were happy to see us go defense happy in the draft and hope to see more D men focused on and brought in during the next draft.

At this point and time in the current NHL where the league is flush with revenue you have to draft your franchise D men. It is rare that a true one or even a legit #2 gets to FA and when they do the cost is insane.
Suter is a big exception. We cannot simply rely on future FA's to fix it.

Old
12-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post

Their entire fanbase overrates everyone on their team.

I remember last year there was a thread where a few Sens fans were saying Methot could/should make Team Canada for the Olympics.

Old
12-12-2013, 02:20 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
A million times this. People talk about top 2 or top 4 defenseman like you can pick one up at Walmart. And once Kulikov starts playing reasonably well again they wont move him, esp. for just McGinn.
Even Kulikov is a question mark. The kid could bust. He hasn't been playing well in Florida. A lot of people seem to think since he was drafted so high he couldn't possibly bust, but looking back at the drafts since 2000 there have been a notable amount of defesemen taken in the top 15 picks that just haven't made it, or never became a solid top 4 guy.

Old
12-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Avs71

All quiet on the rumour front?

Old
12-13-2013, 12:14 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
All quiet on the rumour front?
its darkest before the dawn...

Old
12-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I wouldn't expect anything before Christmas. I suspect Roy wants to see how it looks with Wilson and Hejda back.

Old
12-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
No offense to Mars, but that whole fanbase overrates every single prospect they draft. Much more than any other Canadian team I have ever witnessed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Their entire fanbase overrates everyone on their team.

I remember last year there was a thread where a few Sens fans were saying Methot could/should make Team Canada for the Olympics.
Everyone overrates their prospects/players. We do it as well, not to the degree of Canadian fans but just as bad as the rest.

Closed Thread