HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Snow's next move

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-11-2013, 10:32 AM
  #101
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Yup.
Not now.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:35 AM
  #102
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holt View Post
So Garth is gonna pull some trade that miraculously make the Islanders better without giving anything up.
Frans Nielsen is nothing?

And, again, when did anyone say a trade was coming that was going to right the ship?

The whole point was around deals involving Nielsen, Grabner, And Bailey for lessor assets.

Honestly, what I see is a bunch of wishful thinking from fans who hope the isles are trying to hit a home run and are going to gut themselves in the bargain. There is no evidence in that regard.

__________________
Man, do I ever miss Oleg Kvasha. If Oleg was here, everything would be OK.
Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:37 AM
  #103
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 8,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
None of us said the Isles were looking for a top pairing dman.

Seems like that was suggested by the Nuck fan who wants to unload the disappointing Edler.

I, in fact, don't think the isles are going to make a move on defense now. I think they would be more interested in a goaltender. Either way, I think Snow's real mission will be clearing roster room for Nelson, Strome, and Lee.

I think you'll see an eventual deal around Frans Nielsen, Grabner, and/or Bailey and I don't think the target will be anywhere near a Buff or Edler.
I proposed a few days back...

Bailey, Grabner
for
Kulikov, Kopecky/Matthias

I'm thinking the NYI are targeting Kulikov. Fits with the age group, change of scenery needed, talented.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:53 AM
  #104
Frankie41987
Registered User
 
Frankie41987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kings Park
Country: Tibet
Posts: 374
vCash: 500
Losing Nielsen would be a large blow to this team. I don't understand what makes him expendable to some posters

Frankie41987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:55 AM
  #105
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie41987 View Post
Losing Nielsen would be a large blow to this team. I don't understand what makes him expendable to some posters
Ryan Strome
Brock Nelson

Not saying Nielsen won't hurt but we could survive it.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:00 AM
  #106
Frankie41987
Registered User
 
Frankie41987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kings Park
Country: Tibet
Posts: 374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Ryan Strome
Brock Nelson

Not saying Nielsen won't hurt but we could survive it.
Nelson has played 1 game at center and Strome hasn't played an NHL game yet. I understand the premise of giving something up to get something but I don't think the full affect of losing Nielsen is being appreciated. He has played with grabner, bailey and PMB this year, if someone who can actually score is on his line he is about a 65 point to 70 point player AND the best defensive player on our team. Thats a big deal

Frankie41987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:03 AM
  #107
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 8,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Ryan Strome
Brock Nelson

Not saying Nielsen won't hurt but we could survive it.
Not disagreeing, but what do you want for Nielsen?

Who do you propose for Nielsen?

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:03 AM
  #108
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie41987 View Post
Nelson has played 1 game at center and Strome hasn't played an NHL game yet. I understand the premise of giving something up to get something but I don't think the full affect of losing Nielsen is being appreciated. He has played with grabner, bailey and PMB this year, if someone who can actually score is on his line he is about a 65 point to 70 point player AND the best defensive player on our team. Thats a big deal
Yup. And, having Poulin as your number one netminder and Hickey as your number three defender are also problems.

Some thing has to give. Question is, what hurts the least.

Nielsen is, indeed, a hugely valuable asset. Got to give to get.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:09 AM
  #109
Frankie41987
Registered User
 
Frankie41987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kings Park
Country: Tibet
Posts: 374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Yup. And, having Poulin as your number one netminder and Hickey as your number three defender are also problems.

Some thing has to give. Question is, what hurts the least.

Nielsen is, indeed, a hugely valuable asset. Got to give to get.
I agree those are horrid problems, but why remove one of the few pieces of our team that is working and has been consistent for years, we have a pretty good pipeline of players in the AHL to choose from as well as pieces on the team that are not contributing at all and who may still hold some value in a trade (grabner, bailey etc.) Nielsen is a mold of player that is extremely hard to find, I wouldn't be so fast to give him up.

Frankie41987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:21 AM
  #110
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie41987 View Post
I agree those are horrid problems, but why remove one of the few pieces of our team that is working and has been consistent for years, we have a pretty good pipeline of players in the AHL to choose from as well as pieces on the team that are not contributing at all and who may still hold some value in a trade (grabner, bailey etc.) Nielsen is a mold of player that is extremely hard to find, I wouldn't be so fast to give him up.
I agree with Darth, Frans is the most valued asset that could conceivably be moved because of Nelson (who is being brought along slowly) and Strome (he has reinforced his uber-prospect status by tearing up the AHL). Even Cizikas could possibly have an expanded role and I'm curious how he would do with more offensively talented wingers - I love Martin, but he's no offensive dynamo. A darkhorse is also Sundstrom who looks to have the tools to be a viable bottom-6 center with more development - he's now the #1C for Bridgeport so you know he'll get plenty of ice time the rest of the season.

We could really use a legit top-4 d-man and while it would hurt to lose Frans, it could be the better move in the long run. The emergence of CDH has been a pleasant surprise and he has already improved the defense, adding another legit guy back there would be big for the team. Visnovsky's return would probably be the best option (since he's essentially free to 'acquire'), but I don't see him returning any time soon. Strait's return would be nice (gets rid of Carkner in the lineup), but we still need another horse back there. Reinhart is being penciled into next year's lineup, but the Isles have been very cautious with their premium kids after the Nino debacle and I wouldn't want to throw him to the wolves right away. My guess is that he's Strome'd next season and joins the team somewhere in the middle of the season.

Who that top-4 d-man is for Frans (+ if need be), I have no idea.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:41 AM
  #111
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie41987 View Post
I agree those are horrid problems, but why remove one of the few pieces of our team that is working and has been consistent for years, we have a pretty good pipeline of players in the AHL to choose from as well as pieces on the team that are not contributing at all and who may still hold some value in a trade (grabner, bailey etc.) Nielsen is a mold of player that is extremely hard to find, I wouldn't be so fast to give him up.

PWJunior states my opinion more clearly than I could, so I won't repeat myself.

I did want to say thought that I respect your opinion and agree that you have a very important point.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:43 AM
  #112
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
But, he would come dirt cheap on an expiring contract, something( unfortunately) I think Snow would go for.

It's not like Detroit would be asking for much, a conditional 7th would work for them.

That kinda trade only costs money, if Wang is willing to pay it.

(Which is half of that salary by the time a trade would go through.)

Not saying the Ilses should do it, but at this point, why not?
Could easily clear waivers.

Good luck unloading him at this point.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 02:08 PM
  #113
Chardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie41987 View Post
Nelson has played 1 game at center and Strome hasn't played an NHL game yet. I understand the premise of giving something up to get something but I don't think the full affect of losing Nielsen is being appreciated. He has played with grabner, bailey and PMB this year, if someone who can actually score is on his line he is about a 65 point to 70 point player AND the best defensive player on our team. Thats a big deal
Not to mention top shootout guy, which directly leads to points in the standings. Also, he is loved by the players and wants to be an Islander (as evidenced by signing 4 year deal instead of UFA). That's worth a lot.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 03:04 PM
  #114
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I agree with Darth, Frans is the most valued asset that could conceivably be moved because of Nelson (who is being brought along slowly) and Strome (he has reinforced his uber-prospect status by tearing up the AHL). Even Cizikas could possibly have an expanded role and I'm curious how he would do with more offensively talented wingers - I love Martin, but he's no offensive dynamo. A darkhorse is also Sundstrom who looks to have the tools to be a viable bottom-6 center with more development - he's now the #1C for Bridgeport so you know he'll get plenty of ice time the rest of the season.

We could really use a legit top-4 d-man and while it would hurt to lose Frans, it could be the better move in the long run. The emergence of CDH has been a pleasant surprise and he has already improved the defense, adding another legit guy back there would be big for the team. Visnovsky's return would probably be the best option (since he's essentially free to 'acquire'), but I don't see him returning any time soon. Strait's return would be nice (gets rid of Carkner in the lineup), but we still need another horse back there. Reinhart is being penciled into next year's lineup, but the Isles have been very cautious with their premium kids after the Nino debacle and I wouldn't want to throw him to the wolves right away. My guess is that he's Strome'd next season and joins the team somewhere in the middle of the season.

Who that top-4 d-man is for Frans (+ if need be), I have no idea.
Why trade Frans for a dman now?

The Isles are pretty much done for this season. Why not let Nelson and Strome play for awhile, and decide over the summer whether there is a surplus at center (I would say the deadline, but no team looking for vet help is giving back an NHL dman at the deadline)?

Maybe, at that point, you feel Nielsen is expendable. Or, maybe you have an opportunity to address the defense without moving Nielsen, something akin to the Visnovsky deal.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 03:42 PM
  #115
sailorjerry96
Registered User
 
sailorjerry96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 524
vCash: 500
maybe he should trade vanek for a 1st round pick

sailorjerry96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 03:44 PM
  #116
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Why trade Frans for a dman now?

The Isles are pretty much done for this season. Why not let Nelson and Strome play for awhile, and decide over the summer whether there is a surplus at center (I would say the deadline, but no team looking for vet help is giving back an NHL dman at the deadline)?

Maybe, at that point, you feel Nielsen is expendable. Or, maybe you have an opportunity to address the defense without moving Nielsen, something akin to the Visnovsky deal.

Where is Strome going to play? I really don't want Cappy to "Brock Nelson" him ,and his game is not well-suited to the third line.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 03:50 PM
  #117
thaji
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
This is depended upon Edler willing to waive his NTC but what about?

To Van:
Vanek
Nielsen


To Islanders:
Edler
Hansen
Jensen/Schroeder

thaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 03:51 PM
  #118
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,376
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjerry96 View Post
maybe he should trade vanek for a 1st round pick
Yes cause the isles with one of the deepest prospect pools in the nhl, really need an 18 yr old who is likely 3-4 yrs from contributing, instead of 29 yr old Vanek ( sarcasm)

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 04:02 PM
  #119
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaji View Post
This is depended upon Edler willing to waive his NTC but what about?

To Van:
Vanek
Nielsen


To Islanders:
Edler
Hansen
Jensen/Schroeder

Doubt VCR does it. Deleting a dman at playoff time is not sensible.

Hansen is also the exact kind of storm trooper you want for playoff hockey.

Instead, I think VCR would be much more focused on packaging picks and prospects.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 04:05 PM
  #120
MeestaDeteta
Registered User
 
MeestaDeteta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Saskazoo
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Yup. And, having Poulin as your number one netminder and Hickey as your number three defender are also problems.

Some thing has to give. Question is, what hurts the least.

Nielsen is, indeed, a hugely valuable asset. Got to give to get.
I'm not so sure Nielsen has as much value around the league as you think.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 04:25 PM
  #121
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Where is Strome going to play? I really don't want Cappy to "Brock Nelson" him ,and his game is not well-suited to the third line.
Move Nielsen to the third line. Let Strome center the second line with Okposo and play Nelson with JT and Vanek.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 04:42 PM
  #122
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaDeteta View Post
I'm not so sure Nielsen has as much value around the league as you think.
I think Nielsen's value, as a Selke contender who makes chicken feed and who is on pace for about 60 points is probably a decent #4 dman (like Tanev) or a mid-tier goaltender (like Craig Anderson). Given the dollars and all he brings to the ice, I think that is a pretty fair expectation.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 04:43 PM
  #123
knoxdown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Doubt VCR does it. Deleting a dman at playoff time is not sensible.

Hansen is also the exact kind of storm trooper you want for playoff hockey.

Instead, I think VCR would be much more focused on packaging picks and prospects.
I agree about Hansen, not about Edler.

I think most Van fans are at a crossroads with him. His 5M is a bargain but when all 5 D "behind" him are playing better defensively (and all playing better offensively as of this moment, actually) he can be moved and it would not be seen as a detrimental move. In fact many conclude Corrado is ready and that Sauve and Tommernes are reasonably able call ups after our 7 and 8 guys Alberts and Weber.

That said the proposed trade I wouldn't agree to. Vanek will end up in Minny next year and I don't want to give up assets for another rental. Nielsen has always been an attractive piece to me though.

knoxdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 05:39 PM
  #124
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,746
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Where is Strome going to play? I really don't want Cappy to "Brock Nelson" him ,and his game is not well-suited to the third line.
I think depending on who his wingers are, Strome could do well on the Isles' 3rd line. It's not like the 3rd line would be expected to be the checking line anyway, Nielsen's line would handle those duties. But if Strome played with, say, Martin on one wing and Grabner on the other, it could add depth to the Isles' lineup. Martin would create room for him and Grabner gives him a goal scoring option to set up. And it would allow Strome to get favorable match ups.

Strome seems to thrive when one of his wingers is a guy who goes to the net hard and backs off defenses for him to give him time to do his thing. In junior, Ritchie served that role with Niagara. And from scouting reports of his time in BP, Lee seems to be filling that role there. Martin could be that guy in the NHL.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 08:17 PM
  #125
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,374
vCash: 500
What's with all the comments about the Islanders being done? They're 9 points out of a playoff spot. Have a good month, and they're right back in the running. Poor play aside, they could just as easily get back into the playoffs, as they could contend for the lottery pick.

Now if we're being realistic, I don't think they make it unless they make some moves. However it's not impossible.

__________________
"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.