HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Holik and Kasparaitis may stay

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate
The point is the economic field will not be level. If we have more cap space, we'll attract ufa's. Holik will not be a core player for this team.THORNTON, FOR EXAMPLE, COULD BE A CORE PLAYER. BTW, didn't Holik sign with us because of the money? Others will sign with the team which has the most cap space,.
Honestly, I just don't see a high priced UFA signing with a terrible team just because they have cap room. What's $7.8Mil from the bottom-dwelling Rangers if $6.8Mil from the Devils assures you a run at the cup?

I'm not building a team around next year's potential UFA's. Like I said in my last post, I'm building my team around it's needs, which at this point, are impossible to address.

Old
07-29-2005, 10:27 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

why not keep Holik, I mean he plays hard and with the roster we already have its not like were don't have room for him. I say keep him...we then have roughly 18 million to work with. Sign another centre, a LW...and maybe one checker, and a 4th liner.

On D since we're keeping Poti were can go after Leetch and 1 more guy with Rachunek Leaving.

I propose something like this...

Kariya-Nylander-Jagr
Lundmark -Holik- Balej
Gelinas- Murray- Lapointe
Wiseman - Eastwood- Ortmeyer

Leetch - Aucoin/Foote/McGillis
Kondratiev- Tyutin
Poti- Kasparaitis

Weekes
LaBarbera/Lundqvist...definately not Montoya

Old
07-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate
ACCORDINGLY, SAVE BIG MONEY FOR STAR PLAYERS.
The more things change, the more they stay the same. While it's obvious that signing a 27-year-old Thornton or a 26-year-old Lecavalier is different from guys like Fleury, Lindros, Bure, etc., if the past 7 years have taught us anything, it's this: if you buy players and expect them to make up the core of your team, your team will fail. You need to have a core first, and then use the free agents to supplement that core. I think a few of you have been blinded by the fact that the potential free agents are a few years younger and forgotten this important lesson.

As for Holik and Kaspar, I'm not a huge fan of either, but given that both have recently come out in the press and stated that they want to stay in NY and they are completely onboard for a rebuild, I'd like to keep them. Holik is not an easy player to replace. Kaspar can help Tyutin and Kondratiev (the latter moreso than the former) assimilate to North America. And if we do this right (and that means not going for another quick fix solution), we should be no where near the cap for the next few years.

Old
07-29-2005, 10:34 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblades
The LA Lakers cleared space and made a run at signing Shaq when his contract with the NBA's Orlando Magic expired and he brought them championships. That's kind of free agent signing in the NHL I think the new agreement could bring to the team with the right cap management.
In the NBA, one or two players can turn a poor team into a playoff team and a mediocre team into a contender. The NHL is not the NBA.

Old
07-29-2005, 10:51 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblades
The LA Lakers cleared space and made a run at signing Shaq when his contract with the NBA's Orlando Magic expired and he brought them championships. That's kind of free agent signing in the NHL I think the new agreement could bring to the team with the right cap management.

There's a HUGE difference between basketball and Hockey. ONE PLAYER can make a difference in the NBA. The good one's play just about the whole game. Hockey uses at least three lines and is more of a team game.

Old
07-29-2005, 10:53 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
The more things change, the more they stay the same. While it's obvious that signing a 27-year-old Thornton or a 26-year-old Lecavalier is different from guys like Fleury, Lindros, Bure, etc., if the past 7 years have taught us anything, it's this: if you buy players and expect them to make up the core of your team, your team will fail. You need to have a core first, and then use the free agents to supplement that core. I think a few of you have been blinded by the fact that the potential free agents are a few years younger and forgotten this important lesson.

As for Holik and Kaspar, I'm not a huge fan of either, but given that both have recently come out in the press and stated that they want to stay in NY and they are completely onboard for a rebuild, I'd like to keep them. Holik is not an easy player to replace. Kaspar can help Tyutin and Kondratiev (the latter moreso than the former) assimilate to North America. And if we do this right (and that means not going for another quick fix solution), we should be no where near the cap for the next few years.

I completely agree.

Old
07-29-2005, 10:53 AM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Honestly, I just don't see a high priced UFA signing with a terrible team just because they have cap room. What's $7.8Mil from the bottom-dwelling Rangers if $6.8Mil from the Devils assures you a run at the cup?

I'm not building a team around next year's potential UFA's. Like I said in my last post, I'm building my team around it's needs, which at this point, are impossible to address.
I couldn't agree. Please think about your statement. Thornton,for example,is going to play for $1,000,000 less per year? I don't think so. Not many players would play for less. In addition,we'll have needs all along the forward positions. I'm generally happy with goal and dmen. Within hours we'll see which way their thinking. Regrettably I need to leave for a meeting .Catch up next weekGeat wekend to all Ranger and hockey lovers.

Old
07-29-2005, 11:25 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
Well, at the end of the year most of their salary would have been paid so it's not like the team will have to fit in a $7MM player. It will be more like 1/5 th of their yearly salary of which the Rangers might even pay for them. Who knows how the trade deadline trades will be effected by the salary cap.
Cash transactions are no longer allowed in trades.

Old
07-29-2005, 11:29 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Just a few general comments...

1. Cap space is good. However, it can only be used effectively if there is someone to sign. Who will be out there this year or 2 years from now. Lecavalier and Thorton will probably sign long term deals with their clubs fairly soon. Besides, 2 years isn't long, by then the UFA age will have droped (27 or 7 years service I think) and a 25 year old Kovalchuck might be avalible then.

2. If you buy someone out, all you get is cap space while loosing a player. If there are not UFAs to buy out there, why would anyone want to throw money away on buy guys out for cap space you don't need?

3. If Holik stay the NYR retain the rights of a good player. They could easily eat a large portion of his salary and trade him to a CAP full team like TO who needs to win now with an old core. The Rags could potientialy pick up a number of good prospects (Colvilico, Steen) from a Holik trade to TO.

Closed Thread