HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs lose 6-0 to LA

Old
12-11-2013, 09:16 AM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Thud....boy that was a hard fall back to the ground...that being said if they rebound vs Philly then it was worth it...the way they rebound will tell us alot about the team....

As for the game, the PP chances they had after the first should have had them in the lead...but...the last second goal by Kopitar sunk the entire game...and yes the 3rd goal should have been waved off...Kings fans will tell you that...anyhow, off to Philly!!

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 09:35 AM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Tuned into that in the second period after finally convincing the bar to turn it from the Raptors.....christ....looked like LA was playing an AHL team. Embarrassing.

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
This one hurts a lot. It's pretty clear that we got dominateed along the boards and last night was epic.
The Kings are good but it's there style that scares me. No way the habs get success in the PO where games are played like this.
Who in the East is like the Kings?

Exactly.

Predictably, one game and the sky is falling. Forget that the Habs are one of the hottest teams in the league.

I wish just once the fans would accept that **** happens and move on. Every team gets blown out at least once a season.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Uber Coca

Watched the first and second period. The Kings we're comfortable in front of Price/Budaj and it's a shame. To me, Price couldn't do anything for most of the goals.

I wouldn't call this a disaster. It's a wake up call. Guys won't get cozy because of where they are in the standings. Also, this kind of loss in front of the fans is embarrassing to say the least. Good thing the Canadiens play the next two games on the road.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 09:44 AM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Why in the Blue Hell was Cube playing??...is Murray hurt or is Therrien really that dense?

BigDaddyLurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Who in the East is like the Kings?

Exactly.

Predictably, one game and the sky is falling. Forget that the Habs are one of the hottest teams in the league.

I wish just once the fans would accept that **** happens and move on. Every team gets blown out at least once a season.
This.

Boston got rocked 6-1 by Detroit. They're still a great team.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 09:49 AM
lou4gehrig

Even though we played Pittsburgh and Boston tough, we're not to the level of the West. It's a good reality check. We have some good D and a good goalie. We just need to blow up the "vets" who really don't add much leadership and marginal ability. Markov is okay now, because he's clearly second fiddle to PK. Gionta, Briere, DD, even Plek, Bourque, Murray, Bouillion are all expendable. Just focus on the young forwards and let them grow. And maybe acquire a few more.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Fozz

Every team gets rocked once in a while and that's perfectly normal. Even the mighty Black Hawks got pumped 7-2 by Nashville last month.

What's important is how they react to this game and bounce back tomorrow.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
Tuned into that in the second period after finally convincing the bar to turn it from the Raptors.....christ....looked like LA was playing an AHL team. Embarrassing.
MTL completely dominated the first period and had 2 defensive lapses that ended up in the net where Martin Jones stopped 4-5 sure goals. After the 2nd goal they gave up, which is the point where you started watching. Not exactly indicative of the game.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Team going 9-0-1: "This team can contend." "No trades needed" "Habs rule."
Losing one game to a superior team: "This team is weak." "Make a trade, Bergevin!" "God, we suck."

Never change, guys.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:04 AM
NOBLE27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
Why in the Blue Hell was Cube playing??...is Murray hurt or is Therrien really that dense?
I would have liked to see Murray play last night too....but there is no way in h*** Murray would of made a difference in last night lose.

To me it was a total team lose. No one played that good last night and with the size LA has one 5th or 6th D-man would not have been the turning point.

I think the reasonable poster here were not over all surprised by us losing to LA.....I think the surprising part for me was the score. I really though it would be a low scoring game...something like a 2-1 loss.

But oh well as most of us know we need to keep building and get bigger and that is going to take a few more years. We really do have a good group of young players on our team that I have not seen in many years.

NOBLE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:09 AM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Team going 9-0-1: "This team can contend." "No trades needed" "Habs rule."
Losing one game to a superior team: "This team is weak." "Make a trade, Bergevin!" "God, we suck."

Never change, guys.
I find very very normal those kinds of comments. We are more than 500 different people with different personalities. It's very obvious that we have different opinions.

If all 500 people said "Habs will win Cup" one day; then the next day, the same 500 people say "Let's tank". Then we have a problem.

Reality: 250 would say "Habs will win Cup", and the other 250 say "Let's tank". I'm totally fine with that as we are huge community with different opinions.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:15 AM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynickname View Post
I would have liked to see Murray play last night too....but there is no way in h*** Murray would of made a difference in last night lose.

To me it was a total team lose. No one played that good last night and with the size LA has one 5th or 6th D-man would not have been the turning point.

I think the reasonable poster here were not over all surprised by us losing to LA.....I think the surprising part for me was the score. I really though it would be a low scoring game...something like a 2-1 loss.

But oh well as most of us know we need to keep building and get bigger and that is going to take a few more years. We really do have a good group of young players on our team that I have not seen in many years.
Not the point I was making...no, Murray in the lineup wouldn't have won us the game...it would have, however, been the smart thing to do against one of the biggest, most physical teams in the League...as would have breaking up our smurfs so that there weren't two of them, at least, on the ice at all times for LA players to throw around...this blowout is on Therrien; it's like he's incapable of moving past (french canadian) smurfs...this was LA; everyone knows how LA plays...Therrien set his team up to fail from the start...not the sign of a coach who's ready to take his team to the next level.

BigDaddyLurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:37 AM
NOBLE27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
Not the point I was making...no, Murray in the lineup wouldn't have won us the game...it would have, however, been the smart thing to do against one of the biggest, most physical teams in the League...as would have breaking up our smurfs so that there weren't two of them, at least, on the ice at all times for LA players to throw around...this blowout is on Therrien; it's like he's incapable of moving past (french canadian) smurfs...this was LA; everyone knows how LA plays...Therrien set his team up to fail from the start...not the sign of a coach who's ready to take his team to the next level.
I agree it as not a good move by MT not to play Murray. It seems this year MT is learning from his mistakes so I hope in the future he keeps this up.

MT is also part of this total team lose last night...as a fan I hope everyone learned something last night.

NOBLE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
so who wants to stay small!

i know i do!

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:56 AM
donghabs98

vCash: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Watched the first and second period. The Kings we're comfortable in front of Price/Budaj and it's a shame. To me, Price couldn't do anything for most of the goals.

I wouldn't call this a disaster. It's a wake up call. Guys won't get cozy because of where they are in the standings. Also, this kind of loss in front of the fans is embarrassing to say the least. Good thing the Canadiens play the next two games on the road.
I couldn't agree more about the wake up call. We haven't been playing well since the leafs game. It seems like the guys were getting too comfortable out there. It's losses like this one that can wake up a team

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Smokey Thompson

We don't need to overreact, but this game was simply a reality check. The Kings are a team built for one purpose: success in the playoffs. Bergevin should take notes.

Now they weren't built a couple of years. Lombardi was hired in 2006, and his final / finished product came about 5 years later. From that point on, they've become a machine that keeps rolling. With top end prospects joining the ranks, or forced to stay in the AHL because their team is so deep. They have 3 great young defensemen in Doughty, Voynov, Muzzin. They have a ton of big skilled forwards in their primes. They have a young stud in Tyler Toffoli (2010 2nd rounder).

Essentially once they passed that 5 year threshold, they became a perennial contender. This is what Bergevin must do. It'll take time, but man will it be worth it if he can turn this organization around like Lombardi did with the Kings.

Smokey Thompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:04 AM
FuzzyWuzzy
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly
Oh crap were playing a rookie goalie, here comes a shutout. Kings 6 Habs 0
quote of the night.

FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:12 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
We don't need to overreact, but this game was simply a reality check. The Kings are a team built for one purpose: success in the playoffs. Bergevin should take notes.

Now they weren't built a couple of years. Lombardi was hired in 2006, and his final / finished product came about 5 years later. From that point on, they've become a machine that keeps rolling. With top end prospects joining the ranks, or forced to stay in the AHL because their team is so deep. They have 3 great young defensemen in Doughty, Voynov, Muzzin. They have a ton of big skilled forwards in their primes. They have a young stud in Tyler Toffoli (2010 2nd rounder).

Essentially once they passed that 5 year threshold, they became a perennial contender. This is what Bergevin must do. It'll take time, but man will it be worth it if he can turn this organization around like Lombardi did with the Kings.
I do agree, LA did suck for a while, so did Chicago, Pittsburg. The habs have had a hard time putting good teams on the ice since the late 80s early 90s. For the past ten years, they have spent top dollar on players just no result come PO time aside from a few Hot goalies. Now with out trading the entire team, I think this team can be much better with a few key trades. Like LA, they needed Key trades like Richard, Carter. The habs can do the same with a few key trades with out giving the bank.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Burke the Legend

rather lose 6-0 than 2-1. It's a better wake up.

Hard to refocus a team when they're flying high on a 9-0-1 run, so this will serve nicely as a splash of ice water to the face.

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:18 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Only positive from the game was Galchenyuk.
He played a career high 19:03 (most among forwards), had 7 shots (most on the team) and had 2 takeaways (Markov and Subban got the other 2).

Oh... and he was the only top 9 forward NOT to finish with a minus (Moen finished even as well).

Jeez, can we start playing him center already? No one would convince me DD is better defensively. My mind is going to explode very soon if he's not centering Pacioretty and Gallagher. What I saw today from him was elite.
Play your most promising young player a lot in a blowout, just good coaching there.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:19 AM
KoZed

This loss the exposed more clearly what was already proved before this season and in the playoffs last year:

The Habs can't win trenches war against big (physically) & fast teams. STL, TB, OTT, SJ, BOS, LA all exposed it. We can't have sustained offensive pressure and can't get out of our zone against teams that are much bigger than us.

Thankfully MB's conscious about it and is trying to add size at 0 cost (through the prospects pipeline). But as long as there'll be 8-9 players on the roster under 6'0", this team doesn't have much hope to go that far in the playoffs, unless Price stands on his head and steals series.

This isn't a post-2005 lockout NHL anymore. Hooking, grabbing, obstructing is much more tolerated. Can't expect to live off the PP and only survive with speed. You need guys with speed AND size who can play through checks because the refs won't give you all those calls anymore.

If this keeps up, it makes me wonder if we'll even be able to have more than 2 of Gallagher, Hudon, Andrighetto, Collberg, Lehkonen and Reway on our roster at the same time. And it doesn't fill me with much hope for Leblanc, Thomas, Nystrom, Bennett, Thrower or Dumont.

Not an easy task for MB. He has to do a 180° on the 15-20 years of Habs management before him. I'm think Habs will need at least 2 more drafts just to steer the ship more in line with the other teams who've already been drafting guys in the big & fast mold for a couple of years. At least we have a couple of D's already in the pros that have size and can help in a near future. Tinordi/Beaulieu/Pateryn/Dietz/Nygren added to Emelin & Subban could change the make up of the team a bit. But we really need the same up front and aside from McCarron, DLR, Bozon, Crisp and some undrafted projects; there isn't enough up the forwards prospects pipeline yet.

In the meantime we'll have to keep suffering seeing DD, Gionta, Briere, Gorges, Diaz and the other undersized creampuffs being tossed around like pee-wees.

KoZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:23 AM
76ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZed View Post
This loss the exposed more clearly what was already proved before this season and in the playoffs last year:

The Habs can't win trenches war against big (physically) & fast teams. STL, TB, OTT, SJ, BOS, LA all exposed it. We can't have sustained offensive pressure and can't get out of our zone against teams that are much bigger than us.

Thankfully MB's conscious about it and is trying to add size at 0 cost (through the prospects pipeline). But as long as there'll be 8-9 players on the roster under 6'0", this team doesn't have much hope to go that far in the playoffs, unless Price stands on his head and steals series.

This isn't a post-2005 lockout NHL anymore. Hooking, grabbing, obstructing is much more tolerated. Can't expect to live off the PP and only survive with speed. You need guys with speed AND size who can play through checks because the refs won't give you all those calls anymore.

If this keeps up, it makes me wonder if we'll even be able to have more than 2 of Gallagher, Hudon, Andrighetto, Collberg, Lehkonen and Reway on our roster at the same time. And it doesn't fill me with much hope for Leblanc, Thomas, Nystrom, Bennett, Thrower or Dumont.

Not an easy task for MB. He has to do a 180° on the 15-20 years of Habs management before him. I'm think Habs will need at least 2 more drafts just to steer the ship more in line with the other teams who've already been drafting guys in the big & fast mold for a couple of years. At least we have a couple of D's already in the pros that have size and can help in a near future. Tinordi/Beaulieu/Pateryn/Dietz/Nygren added to Emelin & Subban could change the make up of the team a bit. But we really need the same up front and aside from McCarron, DLR, Bozon, Crisp and some undrafted projects; there isn't enough up the forwards prospects pipeline yet.

In the meantime we'll have to keep suffering seeing DD, Gionta, Briere, Gorges, Diaz and the other undersized creampuffs being tossed around like pee-wees.
How did Boston prove anything we've won 4 straight against them lol

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Only positive from the game was Galchenyuk.
He played a career high 19:03 (most among forwards), had 7 shots (most on the team) and had 2 takeaways (Markov and Subban got the other 2).

Oh... and he was the only top 9 forward NOT to finish with a minus (Moen finished even as well).

Jeez, can we start playing him center already? No one would convince me DD is better defensively. My mind is going to explode very soon if he's not centering Pacioretty and Gallagher. What I saw today from him was elite.
He was all over the ice. He really came to compete last night. Taking shots, laying the body, being aggressive on defenseman, forcing turnovers in the offensive zone, being "hard on puck", winning battles along the boards vs big defensemen.

He truly did look elite last night, and he didn't stop working hard despite being being by 5-6 goals on the scoreboard.

Smokey Thompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZed View Post

(...)In the meantime we'll have to keep suffering seeing DD, Gionta, Briere, Gorges, Diaz and the other undersized creampuffs being tossed around like pee-wees.
When are we going to see MB flip some of these midgets and do-gooders for the type of players we're lacking? Could it be that they don't have all that much value to begin with?

Other GMs passed on most of these guys when they were available -- how are we ever going to sell them the idea that getting smaller is a good thing? And yet, we continue drafting these undersized players while with the other side of his mouth, MB is signing the likes of DD, Brière and Bouillon and is considering offering a long term deal to Diaz. Yeah, let's keep the bleeding going, let's offer bicepless Gionta another deal for 2-3 more years.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote