HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2013 Redskins Thread Part III: Barfs on the Warpath

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2013, 12:30 PM
marcel snapshot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Chris Russell @russellmania980

Chris Russell @russellmania980
He gave in to Dan & Bruce when he realized he could not secure Peyton Manning. ..Now he feels "I told u then" & is wrongly getting revenge
If Peyton Manning were behind this O-Line, he'd be dead by now.

RGIII's running masked the QB protection deficiencies of this line. He can't run now, and they're exposed.

That's all on the Skins organization, which has never, in the Snyder era, put any emphasis on actually building an O-line or a D-line. It's been all about Danny wanting to purchase his newest BFF, so he could finally hang out with the cool kids.

That said, I'll never get why Shanny didn't pull RGIII in the Seattle game when we were up 14 in the first half - and it's even more inexplicable now if it really was the case that he was prepared to walk right before that game because Snyder had put RGIII on a pedestal. If he was actually ready to walk based on the principle that the owner was putting the QB above the team and undermining the coach's authority, why the hell wouldn't he yank that QB when he was obviously physically compromised in order to win that playoff game (especially when your backup had proven he could effectively manage games). If they lost the game and Snyder sacked him, at least the parting of the ways would have been over something meaningful - and he wouldn't have to live with hearing how his irresponsibility probably wrecked a promising kid's career.

Old
12-11-2013, 12:37 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
If Peyton Manning were behind this O-Line, he'd be dead by now.

RGIII's running masked the QB protection deficiencies of this line. He can't run now, and they're exposed.

That's all on the Skins organization, which has never, in the Snyder era, put any emphasis on actually building an O-line or a D-line. It's been all about Danny wanting to purchase his newest BFF, so he could finally hang out with the cool kids.

That said, I'll never get why Shanny didn't pull RGIII in the Seattle game when we were up 14 in the first half - and it's even more inexplicable now if it really was the case that he was prepared to walk right before that game because Snyder had put RGIII on a pedestal. If he was actually ready to walk based on the principle that the owner was putting the QB above the team and undermining the coach's authority, why the hell wouldn't he yank that QB when he was obviously physically compromised in order to win that playoff game (especially when your backup had proven he could effectively manage games). If they lost the game and Snyder sacked him, at least the parting of the ways would have been over something meaningful - and he wouldn't have to live with hearing how his irresponsibility probably wrecked a promising kid's career.
You do understand that sacks are often the fault of the QB?

Granted Polumbus sucks and they're a zone blocking line.

I'm sure Peyton would be identifying blitzes, throwing the ball on time and making quicker reads.

So, no.

Old
12-11-2013, 12:41 PM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
You do understand that sacks are often the fault of the QB?

Granted Polumbus sucks and they're a zone blocking line.

I'm sure Peyton would be identifying blitzes, throwing the ball on time and making quicker reads.

So, no.
Agree with all of that - except the last part. At the end of the day, Manning would take more punishment behind this O-line than his (aging and somewhat compromised) body can handle, and I'd guess that was a factor in his decision not to come here.

Old
12-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Peyton could make all the reads he wants. It wouldn't make the O-line more talented. They get absolutely embarrassed and run over routinely. If Manning were here he would have no time.

This O line can't be trusted to block and give a QB time to make plays. They can only be trusted to slow a defense down enough for a QB to run away. If your QB can't run away, like Griffin currently can't, it's going to be bad.

12-11-2013, 12:46 PM
HunterSThompson

Can watch rg3 and shanny press conference live here. Cousins just went.

Old
12-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Ha, I wish I could.

Old
12-11-2013, 12:52 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...-in-washington

Barnwell says Cousins's value after this season tops out at a 3rd rounder (but more likely a conditional 4th that could escalate to a 3rd based on performance). Too many good prospects in this year's draft plus half of his (cheap) rookie contract already being over for his value to be any higher.

Old
12-11-2013, 12:54 PM
HunterSThompson

As a glass half full approach: Maybe RGIII will get something out of taking a step back and watching a pocket quarterback play in this system or any system.

Shanny's Presser

Last edited by HunterSThompson: 12-11-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old
12-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Cush
-inator

getting a little testy

Old
12-11-2013, 01:17 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

http://www.csnwashington.com/page/redskins-pulse

damn, never seen shannahan so testy.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
getting a little testy

woah haha, we used the same adjective

12-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Rosalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Ha, not that it matters. Who would be the QB otherwise? The team would still be a debacle. Every move this org makes is incorrect. Every single one.
Hmm...That says a lot!

Old
12-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Cush
-inator

"It doesn't matter" I sense a new internet meme coming

Old
12-11-2013, 01:27 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

I honestly dunno where to go from here.
Shanahan just looks like he doesn't care/lost the team.

Old
12-11-2013, 01:28 PM
HunterSThompson

Love the quote:

I'm trying to be as honest as I can and I don't normally do that.

Old
12-11-2013, 01:31 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Haha I love how there was no talk about Atlanta

Old
12-11-2013, 01:32 PM
BobRouse

Not the first time I've seen a coach bewildered toward the end of his tenure here under Snyder.

I'm sure they all get sick of his meddlesome impatience at some point.

Old
12-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Cush
-inator

Fred Smoot: "I haven't seen the Red Lobster this red in a long time"

Old
12-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Capsman

I don't see much comparison between Newton last year and Griffin this year, I really don't. I think it has been proven, without a doubt, that it was an awful trade. Even if RG3 turns out to be a top 10 QB it was an awful trade. Now you swallow your pride, accept it as a write-off and decide who is best for this team moving forward. If it is Kurt Cousins, so be it. You trade RG3 and pray you can get a first for him instead of hanging onto the bad investment. If it is RG3 then you trade Cousins and hope for a good return. That's why this move is a good one IMO. I think you hold onto Kurt until the end of next preseason to see.

Old
12-11-2013, 01:42 PM
HunterSThompson

Takes from the presser:

- Shanahan asked Snyder if he could bench RG3 saying that it's his team, his franchise quarterback, Dan doesn't care about other positions.
- Citing Griffin getting hit a lot, seems to say that was thinking about it last week, but going up against Chiefs (they had two sacks in the last five games) he thought he would be okay, Chiefs game last straw
- Why would he ask the owner if he was trying to be fired
- Griffin will be deactivated

Old
12-11-2013, 01:46 PM
HunterSThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
I don't see much comparison between Newton last year and Griffin this year, I really don't. I think it has been proven, without a doubt, that it was an awful trade. Even if RG3 turns out to be a top 10 QB it was an awful trade. Now you swallow your pride, accept it as a write-off and decide who is best for this team moving forward. If it is Kurt Cousins, so be it. You trade RG3 and pray you can get a first for him instead of hanging onto the bad investment. If it is RG3 then you trade Cousins and hope for a good return. That's why this move is a good one IMO. I think you hold onto Kurt until the end of next preseason to see.
You just cannot say that is has been proven, without a doubt, that it was a bad trade. Nothing has been proven. Does it look currently like a bad trade, yes. What if Griffin leads the team to a Super Bowl in two years, certainly unlikely. You cannot be absolute two years and one bad season in.

Old
12-11-2013, 02:00 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSThompson View Post
You just cannot say that is has been proven, without a doubt, that it was a bad trade. Nothing has been proven. Does it look currently like a bad trade, yes. What if Griffin leads the team to a Super Bowl in two years, certainly unlikely. You cannot be absolute two years and one bad season in.
There are far too many other variables too such as the salary cap penalty, RGIIIs injury, the apparent issues between coach/owner etc

Also our special teams play and D which have put us behind the 8 ball an awful lot this year.

Old
12-11-2013, 02:01 PM
marcel snapshot

Watched it briefly - Shanny looked sort of liberated. Like he'd made up his mind that he was done trying to play politics with Snyder and RGIII. Maybe that's part of the exit strategy/legacy buffing act here, or maybe he did let a Snyder/RGIII BFF thing impinge on his decision-making and he's done with that. Probably both.

Old
12-11-2013, 02:02 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
There are far too many other variables too such as the salary cap penalty, RGIIIs injury, the apparent issues between coach/owner etc

Also our special teams play and D which have put us behind the 8 ball an awful lot this year.
If there were all those issues, then it clearly wasn't the time to bet the future on a single player.

Old
12-11-2013, 02:39 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
Watched it briefly - Shanny looked sort of liberated. Like he'd made up his mind that he was done trying to play politics with Snyder and RGIII. Maybe that's part of the exit strategy/legacy buffing act here, or maybe he did let a Snyder/RGIII BFF thing impinge on his decision-making and he's done with that. Probably both.
This is what I was thinking, just couldn't put it into words.

Old
12-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

If RG3 doesn't play, and doesn't improve, this franchise is setback at least 3-4 seasons.

This situation is a debacle.

Closed Thread