HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Few moves for Comrie according to Matty!

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 07:33 AM
OYLer

vCash: 500
Few moves for Comrie according to Matty!

Jim Matheson of the The Edmonton Journal outlines "some likely -- and unlikely -- dance partners."
http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmon...4-32BC6131A43A

Old
09-30-2003, 08:00 AM
Funkymoses

Quote:
Sources say Comrie isn't asking for $3 million a year and that he'd settle for a one-year contract for far less, but talks on a new deal are more polite than insistent. Money certainly doesn't seem to be the sole issue; whether Comrie really wants to play here is a corollary.
Jeez. Get him signed, Lowe.

Old
09-30-2003, 08:09 AM
FacelessButcher

key word one year deal. U really want to go through this again next year when he has arbitration rights?

Old
09-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Yanner39

Is it just me or was that a pretty meaningless article? I mean, he's a very good writer from what I have seen from him in the past, but this areticle was just a big waste of my time...

Old
09-30-2003, 10:06 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Dr. van Nostrin[/b]]Is it just me or was that a pretty meaningless article? I mean, he's a very good writer from what I have seen from him in the past, but this areticle was just a big waste of my time...
Jim Matheson seldom wastes anyone's time. Consider this quote and its source:
If he's dealing Comrie he needs to get in return either a bigger centre or a defenceman, no worse than a No. 3 on the depth chart. "How many teams have those to give up?" asks one NHL scout.
Notice the premise:
If Oilers GM Kevin Lowe has a hankering to move Mike Comrie -- and that's a big if ...
Personally I think Comrie might be sitting for awhile and I for one won't be calling for Lowe to cave into his and Rich Winter's demands anytime soon.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:16 AM
barto

I found it mildly interesting...a few names in there that have been discussed already, and some names that haven't really. Nothing earth-shattering, though. Reading posts on here is far more entertaining, and many times it's more informative, too!

Bart

Old
09-30-2003, 11:17 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
key word one year deal. U really want to go through this again next year when he has arbitration rights?
This was covered earlier, but the current understanding of the CBA means that he won't have arbitration rights next summer. (I don't have the reference, but its on this board).

It still sounds to me like Comrie's camp is just waiting and hoping Lowe will sweeten the offer.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:17 AM
hockeyaddict101

I thought it was the best article written

[QUOTE=OYLer]Jim Matheson seldom wastes anyone's time. Consider this quote and its source:
If he's dealing Comrie he needs to get in return either a bigger centre or a defenceman, no worse than a No. 3 on the depth chart. "How many teams have those to give up?" asks one NHL scout.
Notice the premise:
If Oilers GM Kevin Lowe has a hankering to move Mike Comrie -- and that's a big if ...
Personally I think Comrie might be sitting for awhile and I for one won't be calling for Lowe to cave into

He writes what he knows of the situation not speculation and innuendo and that is the difference between Matheson and Brownlee.

I don't think he gets traded unless Lowe gets an offer he can't refuse and I agree with that!

IMO, if he does sign it will be an one year deal, but Lowe is not going to want to go through this every year and will trade him by the trade deadline if he gets a deal that he feels helps the team.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:26 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
personally i would LOVE to see a one year deal for a bunch of reasons:

1. comrie is a money hog, i think we can all see that now. so with a 1 year contract, he would play his ass off knowing that great stats this year would equate into higher money when he goes to arbitration next year (cause you know comrie would... again its all about the $$$)

2. it would allow edmonton to have 2 solid scoring lines this year and not have to worry about the "center experiments"

3. who cares that he has arbritration rights next year?? if you look around the league, the money that comrie would get awarded to him would prolly be less than what smyth signed for this year, and thats not really too bad.

4. it would allow one more year for hemsky, torres, rita, isbister, york, rita and stoll to all develop. maybe with their development this year, we dont even need comrie next year. and the oilers would be able to walk away from any arbitration decision. (though again, i HIGHLY doubt that comrie would get anything more than 3-3.5 million/year in arbitration)

sign comie for one year and let him play hard this year, dreaming about all the money he'll make in arbitration, and the oilers get the benefits this year and can worry about next year ..... well, next year. lol

*editors note: i still think comrie will never play here again and that he wants a trade. im just arguing that a 1-year deal would in fact be good

Old
09-30-2003, 11:30 AM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Jim Matheson of the The Edmonton Journal outlines "some likely -- and unlikely -- dance partners."
Yikes, when put out on paper in front of you, it seems rather bleak

Old
09-30-2003, 11:36 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
personally i would LOVE to see a one year deal for a bunch of reasons:

1. comrie is a money hog, i think we can all see that now. so with a 1 year contract, he would play his ass off knowing that great stats this year would equate into higher money when he goes to arbitration next year (cause you know comrie would... again its all about the $$$)
That's nice...

except for the fact that it isn't money that is the issue. It is reported that Comrie isn't asking for anything close to $3 million, and would settle for far less on a 1 year deal.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
That's nice...

except for the fact that it isn't money that is the issue. It is reported that Comrie isn't asking for anything close to $3 million, and would settle for far less on a 1 year deal.
I haven't seen lately anything credible either way as far as salary demands/or salary offers.(Another factor in my "I think he must be gone." feelings)

Anyone know if they are actually negotiating and what the figures might be with something in print (link?) to back it up?

Come to think about it I don't think I have heard once about what Comrie was asking or what Lowe is offering in this negotiation.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:44 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I haven't seen lately anything credible either way as far as salary demands/or salary offers.(Another factor in my "I think he must be gone." feelings)

Anyone know if they are actually negotiating and what the figures might be with something in print (link?) to back it up?

Come to think about it I don't think I have heard once about what Comrie was asking or what Lowe is offering in this negotiation.
in the Matheson article, this is the quote I was referring to:

Sources say Comrie isn't asking for $3 million a year and that he'd settle for a one-year contract for far less, but talks on a new deal are more polite than insistent. Money certainly doesn't seem to be the sole issue; whether Comrie really wants to play here is a corollary.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:47 AM
hockeyaddict101

The only mention in print that I have seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432

Was written a couple days ago by Matheson.

Kevin and I have a confidentiality agreement. It's like book 6 of the Harry Potter series", says Winter. Comrie isn't asking for $3 million US a season, as people suggest. It's likely both parties will settle for $2 million a season.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:36 PM
jadeddog

i find it very hard to believe that if comrie is asking for 2 million a season that lowe doesnt give him that contract..... comrie (in todays crazy, messed up NHL) is actually worth right around 1.7-2 million imo.... i dont see why lowe would be playing such hardball over 300-400k (assuming lowe actually *wants* to sign comrie), doesnt make any sense..... so its either one of two things:

1. comrie is actually asking for much more than 2 million and the reporters are wrong

2. lowe has decided that comrie isnt worth 2 million and probably wants to trade him as well.

but option 2 really doesnt make a whole lot of sense either, because why not just cave in and give him his 2 million a season if you want to trade him anyhow?? 2 million/year isnt that much really, so it wouldnt be much of an impedement to a trade

Old
09-30-2003, 02:45 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Geez this looks just like the post i made on trade a couple of days ago. Hmm I might just have to sue Matty for plagarism.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:58 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
i find it very hard to believe that if comrie is asking for 2 million a season that lowe doesnt give him that contract..... comrie (in todays crazy, messed up NHL) is actually worth right around 1.7-2 million imo.... i dont see why lowe would be playing such hardball over 300-400k (assuming lowe actually *wants* to sign comrie), doesnt make any sense..... so its either one of two things:

1. comrie is actually asking for much more than 2 million and the reporters are wrong

2. lowe has decided that comrie isnt worth 2 million and probably wants to trade him as well.

but option 2 really doesnt make a whole lot of sense either, because why not just cave in and give him his 2 million a season if you want to trade him anyhow?? 2 million/year isnt that much really, so it wouldnt be much of an impedement to a trade
I think it has to do with the length of the deal. Remember that Rich Winter said it had nothing to do with money and now Matheson has said the same thing.

The reason I surmise this is for the exact reason that you state above. To me there are 3 different scenarios.

1. Comrie has asked for a deal.

2. Lowe doesn't want anything to do with a one year deal because he doesn't want to go through this again and is looking for trade options.

3. Comrie has rescinded his trade request but some of the rumours about his complaining about the carter trade etc, etc, are true and Lowe wants to trade him.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:34 PM
WestcoastOIL

Hey i kinda thought of something reading the article and trying to understand whats going on with this entire situation.

Does anyone think that maybe KL is offering only a multi year deal to lock him up for longer and thats why MC isn't sure he wants to be here that long. That could be the reason with the stalemate. I think like all of us KL knows that there aren't too many options out there right now that would warrant a deal to ship MC out.

Now the quote in the article that this is not about money may kinda make sense. cus i think MC would have signed a one year deal cuz he has no leverage but maybe a 1 yr deal isn't being offered.... hmmm

but then again i might be over think the situation

just a thought though...

Old
10-01-2003, 07:47 AM
Hemmer

Quote:
so its either one of two things:

I doubt it is a situation of Comrie not being "worth" two million in Lowe's eyes...offensively he is just as capable as York and he had no problem giving York that kind of cash. I think the bigger deal for Lowe is twofold:

1) How will lining MC's pockets with millions of dollars at the age of 23 affect the future attitudes of guys like Hemsky, Semenov and Pouliot when their rookie deals run out? Will they have that much more bargaining power because of precedence?

2) How will lining MC's pockets with millions of dollars affect the team attitude and morale, considering that he was the highest paid player last year, and in no way could be considered our MVP. What message does that send? Sulk petulatly, and thou shalt be rewarded?

These two factors will determine MC's future with the Oilers IMO. Lowetide and many others have said it before, the smartest thing for MC to do right now would be to sign a 1 year deal for 1.6 million and proceed to lead the team in every offensive category, setting himself up
for a nice post-CBA arbitration award. He has the talent, and lots of heart, and ultimately I think he just wants to play hockey - but with big business running in the family, he probably wants to make sure he gets the best possible deal (read: the same as last year, or close to it if at all possible)

I don't think MC realized how far under a microscope playing in Edmonton puts you. I don't think he likes the pressure.

I also don't think MC likes the fact that Hemsky has better moves than him. Seriously. Hemmer has more raw talent than anyone else on the roster, and that spot used to be occupied by MC. Talk about your fall from grace eh? He's 23, rich, cocky, and most of all, bitter. But...I still think he wants to play for the team - not the fans or management - but the team itself. I know I would.

Old
10-01-2003, 02:25 PM
Master Lok

I agree with everyone else that the problem isn't the money but the length of the new contract.

And Matheson's article was definitely NOT a waste of time. Unlike most of the pie-in-the-sky trade possibilities posted on here, Matheson takes a look at it logically and going team-by-team, there are very teams who would be interested / capable of trading for Comrie. For example, while Detroit has the money to pay Comrie and Fischer would certainly answer the Oilers' need on Defense, there is no reason for the Red Wings to get another centre when they already have Zetterberg and Datsyuk playing centre with another small center in Hudler coming up.

Reality: there are only a few teams who are legitamately capable of trading for Comrie and hence, a trade will not be soon coming.

Closed Thread