HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Forsberg and Naslund to package their rights?

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2005, 10:16 AM
Maple_Leaf_Martyr

vCash:
Forsberg and Naslund to package their rights?

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/vanc...d-f458ce8bfc9e

Quote:
Markus Naslund remained uncertain Tuesday about his future with the Vancouver Canucks, but he did confess to one thing: He'd like to play with fellow countryman Peter Forsberg.

In an phone interview from his hometown of Ornskoldsvik, Sweden, Naslund confirmed a report in the Swedish press that he and Forsberg are considering the possibility of becoming a package deal.
Very interesting. How about a threesome of Sundin, Forsberg and Naslund?

Old
07-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Zopust

vCash: 500
You think you've got the cap room?

Old
07-29-2005, 10:30 AM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zopust
You think you've got the cap room?
Probably not, but it depends on what they ask for of course. If they were motivated to join Sundin (and no knows whether that matters a whole lot to them) then they might take, say, 5 million each. I believe there are some scenarios (largely hypothetical- but what scenario isn't?) where we could make that work. Personally, I'm not sure that would be the best thing for the Leafs, anyway.

Old
07-29-2005, 10:37 AM
It Kills Me

If these guys sign for 5 mill, then other players are gonna be a whole lot cheaper.

Old
07-29-2005, 10:42 AM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles.TML
If these guys sign for 5 mill, then other players are gonna be a whole lot cheaper.
You may be right about that, Skittles.

But I don't know if any team in the league is going to want to pay two guys 7 million, so if they are serious about playing together, I think the trade off will be that they agree to get paid less than they deserve.

However, there is another issue. I have heard these rumours (I'm sure you guys have too) about guys who have missed many games due to injury- in this case Forsberg- being allowed bonuses that would not count against the cap in the first year at least. If true. that could make the tandem signing possible for some team.

Old
07-29-2005, 10:48 AM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles.TML
I think after seing the Thornton offer of 5 years for 25 million. There will be a lot of offer's players of the same caliber for 5 million.

Old
07-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Last time I heard of something like this was Koufax and Drysdale jointly negotiating with the 60s Dodgers.

Usually this stuff consists of backroom demands to get a certain player for - or off - your team. Viz. Kobe and Shaq.

Old
07-29-2005, 11:14 AM
mooseOAK*

I don't think that the NHLPA would be happy with two players who would command close to the maximum cutting a deal to play for less somewhere. All the rest of the UFA's will suffer.

Old
07-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
Last time I heard of something like this was Koufax and Drysdale jointly negotiating with the 60s Dodgers.

Usually this stuff consists of backroom demands to get a certain player for - or off - your team. Viz. Kobe and Shaq.
Wouldn't the Selanne and Kariya package deal to Colorado be a recent example of pals playing together for less ??

Old
07-29-2005, 11:23 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
I think after seing the Thornton offer of 5 years for 25 million. There will be a lot of offer's players of the same caliber for 5 million.
I expect Thornto to reject that and sing somewhere else for similar money. 7.8. million should be for Gretzky, Mario players. (unlike how the 95+ rating in wasn't in EAs games)

Old
07-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Remax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leaf_Martyr
Very interesting. How about a threesome of Sundin, Forsberg and Naslund?
I'd personally be more interested in a threesome of Elisha Cuthbert, Jessica Simpson and Me

Old
07-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Ronald Pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Wouldn't the Selanne and Kariya package deal to Colorado be a recent example of pals playing together for less ??
No it's not an example at all. Selanne made the same money or very close to the top money he was getting paid the season before and the only reason Kariya took less money was so that he'd qualify as a UFA the season after. That was about money not friendship.

Old
07-29-2005, 11:47 AM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger

Forsberg and Naslund to the Leafs and Selanne and Kariya to the Canucks

Old
07-29-2005, 11:47 AM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Pagan
No it's not an example at all. Selanne made the same money or very close to the top money he was getting paid the season before and the only reason Kariya took less money was so that he'd qualify as a UFA the season after. That was about money not friendship.
Are you quite certain friendship had nothing to do with it?

Old
07-29-2005, 12:00 PM
mogilny_2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax
I'd personally be more interested in a threesome of Elisha Cuthbert, Jessica Simpson and Me
elisha cuthbert, how annoying you were on 24. but how hot you are!!!

Old
07-29-2005, 12:46 PM
tomerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Pagan
That was about money not friendship.
"We wanted to play together again," said Kariya. "We had success playing together in the past, we have a great friendship and we wanted to be back together but we weren't bound by it."

Source: http://www.hockeynut.com/0304/avs0703.html

Old
07-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Chandler55

selanne still got paid big bucks, and Kariya got paid 1.4 mil because he expected to get something like 6-10 mil next season as a UFA. oh how did that bite him in the ass....

Old
07-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
naslund may want to win a cup

i think 3 main swedes together plus young steenand our back up goalie telli may be enough to sway both forsberg and naslund to come to the leafs

Old
07-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Cwood2

Kariya could have signed anywhere for less than the league avg. It didn't have to be Colorado.

Old
07-29-2005, 04:25 PM
Stephen

Sundin is so dominant internationally when he has the likes of Forsberg and Naslund supporting him. The Leafs should really try and pursue this, because it not only adds two more elite forwards to our team, but we'll likely have an upgraded Sundin as well, which would be fantastic.

Old
07-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Rusty Shackleford
Leafs Nation

Elisha Cuthbert LOL

Old
07-29-2005, 07:51 PM
berney fkaj

That would be very very interesting having those guys on our team.

Old
07-30-2005, 12:14 AM
desperateblue

If they bought out belfour and mccabe this would have been easily possible now its not even a dream. However that would have been a scary powerplay line.
Im thinking now we should follow all the other teams in signing our enemies maybe a tandem of Leclair Allison Amonte would work as a nice second unit and come fairly cheap since Leclair and amonte have already been paid 2/3.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:34 AM
Pappy

And I'll bet they end up in Detroit or Philly, they were the teams willing to put their money were their mouth was, LeClair and Amonte 's money will be their's or Detriot with Hatcher, Whitney, and McCarty's money. The Leaf were not about to buy out players after they gave 5% back. Same old same old the Leafs make big noises but blink when it's time to walk the walk, I said all along no way the Teachers fund was going to pay guys millions not to play and spend millions on others.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
And I'll bet they end up in Detroit or Philly, they were the teams willing to put their money were their mouth was, LeClair and Amonte 's money will be their's or Detriot with Hatcher, Whitney, and McCarty's money. The Leaf were not about to buy out players after they gave 5% back. Same old same old the Leafs make big noises but blink when it's time to walk the walk, I said all along no way the Teachers fund was going to pay guys millions not to play and spend millions on others.
There's talk in Denver the Avs will announce Monday they've signed both Peter Forsberg and Markus Naslund.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...53601-sun.html

Closed Thread