HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers recall Dylan McIlrath (Reassigned 12/19)

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Brian Leetch was a drunk in his earlier days. That, much like everything else that can be attributed to Rangers "bad luck" or a "curse" is just another thing that occurred because of bad decisions.
I have no first hand knowledge of that but you hear things over the years.

I guess we can all be thankful that Leetch never caused any serious harm to himself or anyone else due to any personal issues he may have been dealing with.

Old
12-16-2013, 02:42 PM
McRanger

Leetch was partying in Third and Long the night he broke his ankle. But you don't need to be intoxicated to slip on black ice.

If Leetch was a drunk than so is almost every other player in the NHL. And the entire business world.

Old
12-16-2013, 02:53 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
From what can be observed here, there are people who believe any guy that can handle himself physically and potentially intimidate the opposition....is worthless, talentless goon.

There are also people who think all Europeans or anyone under 5-10 are worthless, gutless softies.

The minority.

The majority actually watch a bit of hockey and try and make a thoughtful sorting out of what actually happens on the ice during a game.
It takes a lot of different elements to make a good team. You need guys with talent--you need guys with grit. Guys who can score--guys who can set them up. Size, speed, ability to defend, ability to defend teammates. Guys who are clutch. Guys who win battles in the corners and along the boards, guys who win face-offs. Guys who can combine several of the element listed above. A lot of people don't like fighting but it's been a part of the game for over a hundred years. Sometimes there's more--sometimes there's less. It's not always used as a tactical tool to help win games but sometimes it still is. The Bruins are one team that have successfully implemented fighting into it's game plan. Having guys who can both play and fight is the key IMO. Even Shawn Thornton is a decent hockey player in his own right. IMO every team needs guys like this.

Old
12-16-2013, 03:00 PM
slipknottin

Fighting will only be around max another 3 years.

So get in all the fighting you can now, I guess

Old
12-16-2013, 03:19 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Perhaps what he meant was the hapless nature of Rangers luck.

Brian Leetch getting out of his cab, slipping on ice and breaking his ankle. In that sense, I totally get what he's saying.
Or, you know, the best offensive prospect we've had in over a decade dying.

Or our best defenseman taking a slapshot to the eye.

Or one of our better defenseman having a career ending concussion, and pretty easily the worst one in recent memory in the NHL.

Old
12-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Or, you know, the best offensive prospect we've had in over a decade dying.

Or our best defenseman taking a slapshot to the eye.

Or one of our better defenseman having a career ending concussion, and pretty easily the worst one in recent memory in the NHL.
-Blood doping with a heart condition

-Freak accident, has happened before to plenty of other teams

-Worst one in recent memory? Marc Savard, who was a better player than Michael Sauer, may beg to differ. Regardless, Boston still found a way to win a cup.

I dont mean to be crass here, but this "oh woe as me" stuff as Ranger fans is pure garbage. This team hasn't found any sort of sustained success because of bad decisions and razor thin depth thats unable to overcome injuries.

Old
12-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
It takes a lot of different elements to make a good team. You need guys with talent--you need guys with grit. Guys who can score--guys who can set them up. Size, speed, ability to defend, ability to defend teammates. Guys who are clutch. Guys who win battles in the corners and along the boards, guys who win face-offs. Guys who can combine several of the element listed above. A lot of people don't like fighting but it's been a part of the game for over a hundred years. Sometimes there's more--sometimes there's less. It's not always used as a tactical tool to help win games but sometimes it still is. The Bruins are one team that have successfully implemented fighting into it's game plan. Having guys who can both play and fight is the key IMO. Even Shawn Thornton is a decent hockey player in his own right. IMO every team needs guys like this.
Thank you. Great post.

In the ongoing discussion about what it will take for the Rangers to be a perennial contender, I find myself remembering Rick Middleton.

With the Rangers he was essentially a somewhat flashy pretty boy.

With the Bruins he was a solid, two way performer. He scored 30 or more goals in 9 of his 12 seasons as a Bruin.

I'm not going into the weeds here, but I think a lot can be learned from that trade. Why it worked so well for both Middleton and Boston and why it was such a debacle for New York.

Lots of lessons there.

Old
12-16-2013, 03:46 PM
TheTakedown764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
i dont get the mdz hate tonight. he had 2 bad giveaways, but other than that played a really strong game.

if youre a defenseman, youre going to have giveaways. it happens to ryan mcdonagh all the time, nobody every comments on it because he makes 500 great plays that compensates for it.

mdz wasnt a problem tonight. the horrendous lack of effort in the first period, was.

very fortunate to pick up a win.
The difference is it is a stretch for MDZ to make even a few of those great plays to compensate for that

Old
12-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
-Blood doping with a heart condition

-Freak accident, has happened before to plenty of other teams

-Worst one in recent memory? Marc Savard, who was a better player than Michael Sauer, may beg to differ. Regardless, Boston still found a way to win a cup.

I dont mean to be crass here, but this "oh woe as me" stuff as Ranger fans is pure garbage. This team hasn't found any sort of sustained success because of bad decisions and razor thin depth thats unable to overcome injuries.
Unfortunately, your both right.

Yes, the Rangers have had some miserable luck over the years.

Yes, the Rangers have made numerous knuckle head decisions that have had plenty of consequences not the least of which are razor thin depth charts.

Old
12-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Leetch was partying in Third and Long the night he broke his ankle. But you don't need to be intoxicated to slip on black ice.

If Leetch was a drunk than so is almost every other player in the NHL. And the entire business world.
He had quite the reputation in his younger days for that, as well as questions about his off-season conditioning.

The person who had the most profound impact on him was Messier. It's one of the reasons I routinely pick Messier over Leetch and Richter when coming up with my all-time Ranger list. His impact on this organization extended beyond what he brought on the ice -- it was a deep impact on the careers of those he came across like Graves, Leetch, Richter and Amonte.

Old
12-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Fighting will only be around max another 3 years.

So get in all the fighting you can now, I guess
Been hearing that since 97.

Old
12-16-2013, 07:49 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Been hearing that since 97.
The debate is no longer about "is it good for the game". Now it's about $$. They can't say they are trying to stop concussions but continue to allow fights.

Old
12-16-2013, 09:01 PM
a tribe cq

Quote:
The debate is no longer about "is it good for the game". Now it's about $$. They can't say they are trying to stop concussions but continue to allow fights.
Sure they can, which is why such a hard crackdown on headhits, boardings, elbowings etc.

Fact of the matter is they can never get rid of fighting through hockey law, it is also a reactionary method as well as a planned skirmish. After big hits it happeneds in what say, 3 seconds later? The only way fighting will be out of hockey is if 50 years from now players play the game like it never existed and it is weeded out through a natural process.

Old
12-16-2013, 09:09 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Undertaker View Post
Sure they can, which is why such a hard crackdown on headhits, boardings, elbowings etc.

Fact of the matter is they can never get rid of fighting through hockey law, it is also a reactionary method as well as a planned skirmish. After big hits it happeneds in what say, 3 seconds later? The only way fighting will be out of hockey is if 50 years from now players play the game like it never existed and it is weeded out through a natural process.
What? All they have to do is do what they do in lower levels. Game suspension for fighting. Multiple game suspension for multiple fights.

The crackdown on hits to the head is EXACTLY why fighting will eventually be banned

Old
12-16-2013, 09:13 PM
a tribe cq

Quote:
What? All they have to do is do what they do in lower levels. Game suspension for fighting. Multiple game suspension for multiple fights.

The crackdown on hits to the head is EXACTLY why fighting will eventually be banned
You obviously don't understand.

Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it stops.

Old
12-16-2013, 09:15 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
You obviously don't understand.

Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it stops.
Because players who constantly get suspended will hold a ton of value on a roster...

Old
12-16-2013, 09:18 PM
a tribe cq

Quote:
Because players who constantly get suspended will hold a ton of value on a roster...
Who says consistent?

You're reaching...

As I said I two posts ago at this point in time it is a natural reaction at some points, until it's not a natural reaction by players in the game illegal or not, it will exist.

Old
12-16-2013, 09:19 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Who says consistent?

You're reaching...

As I said I two posts ago at this point in time it is a natural reaction at some points, until it's not a natural reaction by players in the game illegal or not, it will exist.
You tell me what player is willing to be suspended a week or a month for fighting, and id show you a player with absolutely no value.

Old
12-16-2013, 09:21 PM
a tribe cq

Quote:
You tell me what player is willing to be suspended a week or a month for fighting, and id show you a player with absolutely no value.
I think there were 5 or 6 suspensions doled out the past couple of days, ask those teams.

Old
12-16-2013, 10:05 PM
eco's bones

I don't see the NHL banning fighting just because of the concussion issues of players like Orr, Fedoruk, Parros, Booggard--more than less non-talented goons. Any number of other players less involved in fighting like Lafontaine, Scott Stevens, Marc Savard have had their careers ended with concussions not related to fights. It's not just fights that cause concussions--hitting other players into hard walls at speed are enough on their own to start the cycle of concussions for any given player. And some are more susceptible than others. Ban fighting and what's next?-ban hitting? There's only so much the NHL can do without tearing apart the fabric of the game and making it less entertaining in doing so. Fighting in hockey is a time honored tradition--the game is not meant to be played by the weak at heart though they can enjoy watching it as much as anyone. Even in rec league hockey there's hitting and fighting and even in leagues that 'don't allow' hitting there is the incidental contact that comes from two players arriving at the puck at the same time and what are they going to do? Sometimes they wind up shoving and pushing and snarling and even punching each other. Anyone who plays pretty much expects to come away from any contest with at least a bruise--an abrasion or two. Don't like that--then take up golf or bowling.

Old
12-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I don't see the NHL banning fighting just because of the concussion issues of players like Orr, Fedoruk, Parros, Booggard--more than less non-talented goons. Any number of other players less involved in fighting like Lafontaine, Scott Stevens, Marc Savard have had their careers ended with concussions not related to fights. It's not just fights that cause concussions--hitting other players into hard walls at speed are enough on their own to start the cycle of concussions for any given player. And some are more susceptible than others. Ban fighting and what's next?-ban hitting? There's only so much the NHL can do without tearing apart the fabric of the game and making it less entertaining in doing so. Fighting in hockey is a time honored tradition--the game is not meant to be played by the weak at heart though they can enjoy watching it as much as anyone. Even in rec league hockey there's hitting and fighting and even in leagues that 'don't allow' hitting there is the incidental contact that comes from two players arriving at the puck at the same time and what are they going to do? Sometimes they wind up shoving and pushing and snarling and even punching each other. Anyone who plays pretty much expects to come away from any contest with at least a bruise--an abrasion or two. Don't like that--then take up golf or bowling.
Hockey is a contact sport so therefore we must allow fighting? The idea that fighting is some kind of natural element of hockey is ********. College hockey players don't spontaneously combust because they're not allowed to punch each other. There's no fighting in football, and that's a way more violent sport than hockey. It's true that hockey is always going to have some struggle with concussions because of the hitting, but that's no reason to allow players to repeatedly concuss each other on purpose. All I could think watching McIlrath's fight was, "Boy, that kid's going to have scrambled eggs for brains by his late 30s." It's stupid and it's a waste.

Old
12-16-2013, 10:56 PM
NYR425

You mention no fighting in college hockey. That is true but they wear full cages and have you seen the stickwork in college hockey. I am so tired of hearing all this bull about fighting needs to be taken out of hockey. You remove the fighting, the players will have to be in fullcages because of all the stickwork. The problem is to many beleeding heart Liberals who don't watch or like hockey are telling hockey what they have to do. These are the same people that complain on lacrosse Boards that the kids should not be playing the the Fall Brawl tournament or Shamrock Shootout because it is too cold for the kids.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:24 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR425 View Post
You mention no fighting in college hockey. That is true but they wear full cages and have you seen the stickwork in college hockey. I am so tired of hearing all this bull about fighting needs to be taken out of hockey. You remove the fighting, the players will have to be in fullcages because of all the stickwork. The problem is to many beleeding heart Liberals who don't watch or like hockey are telling hockey what they have to do. These are the same people that complain on lacrosse Boards that the kids should not be playing the the Fall Brawl tournament or Shamrock Shootout because it is too cold for the kids.
Yeah, those "beleeding" heart liberal [misogynist insult of one's masculinity]s need to just suck it up because hockey's a rough sport and if you wind up with CTE and addicted to pain killers it just means you're a wimp.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Hockey is a contact sport so therefore we must allow fighting? The idea that fighting is some kind of natural element of hockey is ********. College hockey players don't spontaneously combust because they're not allowed to punch each other. There's no fighting in football, and that's a way more violent sport than hockey. It's true that hockey is always going to have some struggle with concussions because of the hitting, but that's no reason to allow players to repeatedly concuss each other on purpose. All I could think watching McIlrath's fight was, "Boy, that kid's going to have scrambled eggs for brains by his late 30s." It's stupid and it's a waste.
You can just choose not to watch it. Instead it's either your way or people are stupid. Your not a liberal. Liberals have a capacity for tolerance even if they disagree with something.

Old
12-17-2013, 01:23 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
I like the fighting. Even the occasional brawl. Eye for an eye, But the totally staged stuff can be a bit like WWF showtime. Boring and stupid. Goons going at it in the heat of the game is OK though

Closed Thread