HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers recall Dylan McIlrath (Reassigned 12/19)

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2013, 01:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
This thread has gone way off the rails. Let's bring it back on topic, please.

It's just pain.
Old
12-17-2013, 03:45 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
if dylan can do 3 things ill be very happy.

1. play tough stay at home defense in front of the crease. dont wander too much and keep the play in front of him.

2. limit his play near the blue line. avoid at all costs trying to step up or pinch too much.

3. make the simple pass or bang it off the boards. nothing fancy.

if thats what the kid does, then ill be very happy. i would also add he should avoid trying to fight every teams goon to prove a point. we know hes tough. we know hes big and mean. i do not want him getting knocked out trying to do something that has almost no value on the score board.

this kid has a chance right now to earn a spot. im rooting for him.

Old
12-17-2013, 03:52 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

1. play tough stay at home defense in front of the crease. dont wander too much and keep the play in front of him.

2. limit his play near the blue line. avoid at all costs trying to step up or pinch too much.

if thats what the kid does, then ill be very happy. i would also add he should avoid trying to fight every teams goon to prove a point. we know hes tough. we know hes big and mean. i do not want him getting knocked out trying to do something that has almost no value on the score board.

Agreed, although I don't mind him stepping up and laying some hits. He will miss sometimes, even the best do, but his presence will help.

His skating is already fine and it will only improve.

Old
12-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur

vCash: 182
All he has to do is copy everything McDonagh does. If he can pick a few things up from Mac then he might go places.

Old
12-17-2013, 04:55 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
This thread has gone way off the rails. Let's bring it back on topic, please.
Has it done this while on a crazy train?

Old
12-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Barnaby

Quote:

I'd expect that he'll fight more earlier on to establish himself and his reputation… after that I'd expect that he tones it down, and doesn't accept every challenge.

Old
12-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Pizza

Quote:

Solid post. Can't really argue with any of it. He will be challenged. He just needs to be smart in picking his spots. I'm much more interested in how his actual play develops as to how much he fights. The fighting is inevitable though.

Old
12-18-2013, 08:04 AM
eco's bones

Have the idea that Dylan won't be in the lineup tonight. When asked yesterday AV said he'd like to get back to 4 lines and 6 D--that he wanted to keep a 7th guy around at least until after the home stand. I'd imagine Dylan is going to play 1 or 2 of those games but just judging by ice time AV does not appear at this point in time to be that comfortable playing him more than a few minutes a game.

Old
12-18-2013, 09:09 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Have the idea that Dylan won't be in the lineup tonight. When asked yesterday AV said he'd like to get back to 4 lines and 6 D--that he wanted to keep a 7th guy around at least until after the home stand. I'd imagine Dylan is going to play 1 or 2 of those games but just judging by ice time AV does not appear at this point in time to be that comfortable playing him more than a few minutes a game.
Wouldn't surprise me if Moore sat.

Pittsburgh is scrappier then ever with this lineup.

Old
12-18-2013, 09:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay 3m
Looks as if McIlrath will be scratched.

12-18-2013, 09:53 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
****ing ********.

Old
12-18-2013, 09:57 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
****ing ********.
Preach.

I believe we were warned about AV's use of younger players from Canucks fans when we hired him, right?

Send him back to Hartford or play him, ya bums. Pack have a game against Bridgeport Friday.

Old
12-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Levitate

ehhh, I agree play him or send him down but they don't need to send him down yet if the Pack don't play until friday, he can get in one more practice with the team.

Does seem silly to bring him up for a few games with tiny minutes and then send him down but then again this team is struggling hard to put together wins and realistically the coach probably doesn't want to try to break in a raw rookie defenseman in those circumstances. Kind of begs the question of why they brought him up in the first place but I guess a look is a look

Old
12-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Pizza

Who would like to guess as to how many times our goalie gets run tonight?

Old
12-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Parker

Quote:
Asset management!

Old
12-18-2013, 10:51 AM
ColonialsHockey10

What an idiotic decision.

The ironic thing is not only the toughness factor, but half of Pittsburgh's forwards are from Wilkes-Barre. McIlrath has played against most of these guys.

Old
12-18-2013, 11:25 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

cant let the top prospect look bad.

this is about winning games not developing players. av will play whom he thinks gives him the best chance at the W. we need points.

anyone whos ever played/coached this game knows theres nothing fair about it. coaches will play the players they feel most comfortable with.

i would say this is an example of how limited his potential for contribution really is-at this point.

big mac can do some stuff pretty well like punching faces and perhaps throwing the body, but other than that, his skating, decision making, and overall game isnt nhl ready yet.

Old
12-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Ail
UH82CIT

Quote:
Knew it! Bust11! 1! 11!! 1

Old
12-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Dont really blame AV for a McIlrath scratch - hes nowhere near taking a regular NHL shift, or even playing 10-12 mins

Hope they send him back down to develop further.

Old
12-18-2013, 11:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

McIlrath gets a feel/taste of the NHL. It gives McIlrath and the Rangers an idea of where he is at.

Quote:
Always upbeat Dylan McIlrath says scratch will give him welcome opportunity for "birdseye" view on some positional things he must improve.
Quote:
Dylan McIlrath conceded he's doesn't have skating skills of DZ or J. Moore but says he can learn a lot from Dan Girardi's positional game.
https://twitter.com/AGrossRecord

DZ doesn't have the skating ability of Moore.

Quote:
“It’s just part of the process,” said McIlrath, who played the last two games and needed two stitches on his left cheek to close a gash initially caused by being hit by a puck that was re-opened in his fight with Flames heavyweight Brian McGrattan. “Maybe it will be nice to get a birds-eye view. I know I watched my clips with Ulfie (assistant coach Ulf Samuelsson). Even though they’re pretty happy with me there’s still some learning to do, just more positionally than anything. So I think it will be a good chance for me to see what’s it’s like from the press box. I’m actually excited to see how it all turns out.”

McIlrath is realistic that his skating skills are not in the same class as say John Moore, Michael Del Zotto or Ryan McDonagh, the Rangers’ top skating defensemen. So McIlrath knows he needs to be smart in how he positions himself to compensate.

“Yeah for sure,” McIlrath said. “In the clips it wasn’t even my skating. I was kind of skating too far into the play and not being aware of my surroundings. Good guys like Dan Girardi, right place at the right time. It’s all part of the process.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ath_pyatt_out/

No offense but some people on this board are dense.

Old
12-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
McIlrath gets a feel/taste of the NHL. It gives McIlrath and the Rangers an idea of where he is at.

https://twitter.com/AGrossRecord

DZ doesn't have the skating ability of Moore.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ath_pyatt_out/

No offense but some people on this board are dense.
Watch the guy who is most likely on his way out because his style doesn't fit the coach's needs. Sounds like more Grade A planning.

Old
12-18-2013, 12:11 PM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Watch the guy who is most likely on his way out because his style doesn't fit the coach's needs. Sounds like more Grade A planning.
Meh. Dan Girardi is absolutely someone a young player should be watching for defensive ability/positiong/stick work etc. Girardi's downfall is that the puck is a grenade on his stick when he's under any type of pressure, and that's where he doesn't fit into AV's system.

Ideally having Girardi in AV's system would be fine, but none of our other defensemen can make breakout passes either which makes Girardi look even worse. MDZ has been really dissapointing, seriously regressed from his first/third years in the league

Old
12-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoHitTheNetJK View Post
Meh. Dan Girardi is absolutely someone a young player should be watching for defensive ability/positiong/stick work etc. Girardi's downfall is that the puck is a grenade on his stick when he's under any type of pressure, and that's where he doesn't fit into AV's system.

Ideally having Girardi in AV's system would be fine, but none of our other defensemen can make breakout passes either which makes Girardi look even worse. MDZ has been really dissapointing, seriously regressed from his first/third years in the league
He also can't skate, which is what even moreso makes him problematic in this system.

Speaking of MDZ, hes not much of a speed demon either. McIlrath would've been a really good player in Torts' system -- I fear for his development in this man to man experiment.

Old
12-18-2013, 12:40 PM
eco's bones

I don't think it took much to read between the lines of what AV was saying yesterday. He wants to dress 6 D and these are the guys who made the team out of training camp and these are the guys he's going to give the ice time to. Gordie Clark's statement to the contrary that Mcilrath would be reevaluated around Xmas and potentially with the team after that--the Rangers are going to have to move someone out first before that happens--that is unless another d-man gets injured. In this respect AV is not dissimilar at all from Tortorella. He knows the guys who are with the team--he has his read on them--new guys are more like strangers he doesn't know and doesn't trust.

Old
12-18-2013, 12:57 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I don't think it took much to read between the lines of what AV was saying yesterday. He wants to dress 6 D and these are the guys who made the team out of training camp and these are the guys he's going to give the ice time to. Gordie Clark's statement to the contrary that Mcilrath would be reevaluated around Xmas and potentially with the team after that--the Rangers are going to have to move someone out first before that happens--that is unless another d-man gets injured. In this respect AV is not dissimilar at all from Tortorella. He knows the guys who are with the team--he has his read on them--new guys are more like strangers he doesn't know and doesn't trust.
correct. well said.

if you read what dylan is saying, hes admitting he knows his game isnt there yet. his skating isnt good enough. his decision making isnt good enough. his positioning isnt good enough. i respect him for saying it and i respect him for being a mature, well spoken athlete whos not afraid to speak the truth. in this regard, this kid is top notch.

he can learn alot from watching in a suit. theres no harm in him looking at the game and learning from that perspective.

and given the spot the team is in, i cant blame av for giving him the night off.

Closed Thread