HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Goaltending thread 3.0: Reimer & Bernier - Better goaltender thus far?

View Poll Results: Who has been the better goaltender thus far?
Jonathan Bernier 39 42.86%
James Reimer 52 57.14%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-12-2013, 04:08 PM
armyboy12345

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Why would a Leafs fan want either goalie to be pulled?
I didnt say i WANTED him to get pulled. I'm just saying its a pretty bad timing for a poll like this to come after a Bernier loss. Results would vary depending on past games and whatever fresh is in our minds that affects our vote.

armyboy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 04:18 PM
armyboy12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
I like both goaltenders, but Bernier's recent string of softies in close games have cost us anywhere between 5-6 points.

Reimer on the other hand, rarely lets in softies in close games, as far as I have seen. He just seems more clutch. His far superior record is an indicator of this.

Both have the ability to be #1G, but Bernier, definitely needs to work on some stuff.
I'm pretty sure the amount of softies given up by Bernier are less compared to the goals given up by Reimer when he's on his stomach swimming.

Reimer doesn't seem too clutch to me :/ Seems more floppy and all over the place when thing start getting rough. And what far superior record?

Bernier needs to work on some stuff just as much as Reimer needs to work on other stuff, but ya both have the ability to be #1

Old
12-12-2013, 05:06 PM
GLG12xx12
Go Leafs Go!!!!

Both goalies are very good no doubt about that. Both goalies have played lights out and stolen games while they both have had bad games as well. I have to give the edge to Reimer though. Honestly, the only thing that matters in the end is the puck being stopped. Reimer may not look great stopping the puck but he does a great job stopping it. Bernier on the other hand looks so calm and poised in his net and is very good at stopping the puck as well but it is very evident that he has a tendency to let in a decent amount of weak goals. There are a few goals that I can remember off the top of my head that IMO Bernier should have stopped or made a better decision in how he was going to stop the puck. Goal against Carolina at the start of the season, last game against Pitt on the tying goal that was tipped (the puck was halfway to the net and looking to go high when he jumps up and as he jumps, the puck is tipped right between the legs), the shootout goal against Crosby where he thought it would be a good reason to lunge for the puck while on Crosby's stick when he had just crossed the middle of the faceoff circle, then the 2nd goal last night. One big thing I have noticed and some commentators have mentioned is that Reimer looks up/down/and around guys in front of the net to find the puck while Bernier relies on his positioning. This is huge when it comes to point shots and tips which I think Reimer has been better at this season.

I think the best way for me to put this would be my brain says Bernier should be the number 1 due to him being so calm and composed while my heart says Reimer because he simply stops the puck.

GLG12xx12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyboy12345 View Post
I'm pretty sure the amount of softies given up by Bernier are less compared to the goals given up by Reimer when he's on his stomach swimming.

Reimer doesn't seem too clutch to me :/ Seems more floppy and all over the place when thing start getting rough. And what far superior record?

Bernier needs to work on some stuff just as much as Reimer needs to work on other stuff, but ya both have the ability to be #1
Reimer's record is 7-4-1

Bernier's record is 9-9-2

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 05:21 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

Maybe they’ll both sign long term deals for 3.5 and then it will be like having one goalie for 7 mil hahaha

OptimusForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 05:40 PM
armyboy12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Reimer's record is 7-4-1

Bernier's record is 9-9-2
Lol... let's trade Reimer for Scrivens then since he has a far superior record (which seems like the OP is using as a good indication of who is better).

Reimer 7-4-1
Scriven 7-2-4

Bernier has played more games which kinda factors into the record, and even using a "far superior record" as a point is hard since theres so many factors that affect the record.

SV% is a better statistic and they are nearly identical.

Old
12-12-2013, 07:35 PM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyboy12345 View Post

this.

12-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

reimer killllin it in st louis tonight boys

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 07:38 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

Night is young and we are playing horribly but there's been some odour to Reimer's game...

Edit: Oh dear

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Leafs at Knight
Offenders Beware

None of those goals were Reimers fault, were just a terrible team.

Leafs at Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 07:43 PM
deleteme
Leafs for cup

lol Reimer being pulled for the "i don't remember how many times" this season

deleteme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Stephen

Reimer is basically a Brian Elliot level 1B goalie. Put him on a team like St. Louis he'd have a good amount of success in a sheltered environment but he's a very flawed goalie I hope they don't rely too much on. He's not the problem but he's not a solution. Part of the 18 wheeler and Game Seven crew you want to eventually purge.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 07:46 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

The fact that Reimer is being blamed by anyone for tonight's blowout is an absolute joke, but when it's the same people that were defending Bernier last night? I don't know whether to laugh or hang myself.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Leafs at Knight
Offenders Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcharles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Reimer is basically a Brian Elliot level 1B goalie. Put him on a team like St. Louis he'd have a good amount of success in a sheltered environment but he's a very flawed goalie I hope they don't rely too much on. He's not the problem but he's not a solution. Part of the 18 wheeler and Game Seven crew you want to eventually purge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyg View Post
reimer killllin it in st louis tonight boys

Leafs at Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 07:50 PM
kesleaf

Toronto: A place that turns goalies with HUGE potential to worthless amateur league pylons.

So ****ing frustrating seeing both these guys being hung out to try every ****ing night. The team has been relying on them 100% since the start. Every goalie will fail in this situation.

kesleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
S2S
Come at me bros

Second goal should be compared to Bernier's last night. Not horrendous, but had odour.

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Anyone still got a problem with timing of the poll?

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
The fact that Reimer is being blamed by anyone for tonight's blowout is an absolute joke, but when it's the same people that were defending Bernier last night? I don't know whether to laugh or hang myself.
Reimer isn't a difference maker, this is an indisputable fact. He has no claim to being a number one in this league. It's not specific to tonight, he's just a 1B guy who can spot you a good night once in a while.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 07:51 PM
cloak

Hahah you Reimer fanboys are too much. That second STL goal was laughable. His stats aren't even better but you have to stat ***** anyway because you know by appearances Bernier doesn't consistently swim and give up rebounds.

If this team is lucky enough to make the playoffs they aren't going anywhere with Reimer, the most important 10 mins of his career was giving up a 3 spot. He's had a lot more opportunity in his career than Bernier and is no more consistent than him from it.

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Alerion
Get the Can Opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
Second goal should be compared to Bernier's last night. Not horrendous, but had odour.
Pretty much.

This is ugly. Was Reimer good? No, but the team was worse...possibly our worst period of the ****ing year.

Alerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 07:52 PM
armyboy12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
None of those goals were Reimers fault, were just a terrible team.
Quote:
Hang yourself, that way you dont have to keep watching the terrible play xD Kidding. And whether or not they were Reimer's fault, a poster commented when Bernier was giving up a bunch "You can't expect to win a hockey game when your goalie lets in 3 goals".

Old
12-12-2013, 07:52 PM
cloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcharles View Post
lol.

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 07:53 PM
armyboy12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Anyone still got a problem with timing of the poll?
Yep, cause it was before this game xD haha but god... someone please save us

Old
12-12-2013, 07:55 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Reimer isn't a difference maker, this is an indisputable fact. He has no claim to being a number one in this league. It's not specific to tonight, he's just a 1B guy who can spot you a good night once in a while.
Then what is Bernier?

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 07:59 PM
armyboy12345

Quote:
Then what is Bernier?
No clue...he's got potential to become a pretty good #1, but no one's gonna know since he hasn't been given the proper chance to showcase his skills.