HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Prices online vs. retail location for same store

Old
12-14-2013, 09:59 AM
jazzykat

vCash: 500
Prices online vs. retail location for same store

So I will visit NY where a Hockey Giant opened near my parents house. Are the prices usually the same online as they are in the retail location?

I only visit the states once every year or 2, so I am definitely going to stock up and could stand to save $200-300+ on gear compared to Austrian prices and would like to get the best deal.

Thanks!

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 10:49 AM
AIREAYE

Good idea to stock up, don't forget those accessories. But typically, the stores don't have to have the same prices, no. The store might have different items at different prices though and anything should be savings to you.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Silence Of The Plams
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Usually the stores have some good deals on certain things. Like PureHockey in Amherst NY by Buffalo, they have some good stuff that's cheaper than online, especially when I calc shipping costs and other silly stuff. I bought a nice pair of hockey pants there for under 100.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 02:42 PM
JoeCool16

Many stores that have online stores will often have a disclaimer that goes something along the lines of "prices online may not match those in-store", as a result of extra costs from maintaining a brick and mortar location with employees, rent, gear shipping costs etc. That said, I have no memory of my LHS (The Hockey Shop in Surrey) having different prices. Also, you can order from their site and have it shipped free to the store for pickup, at the same price.

Maybe shoot the place you're visiting an email before you go and ask if the prices are the same or pretty close?

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Marotte Marauder

I work for a giant retail chain (5,800 stores) not hockey related. The on-line prices are 10% cheaper because we figure the customer is "shopping around" and use the discount to entice them to buy with us.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 09:14 AM
jazzykat

Thanks for all the suggestions. I of course have the option of buying during online sales and having it shipped to their house (sticks, bags, accessories, etc.). However, being able to try on stuff is easily worth 10% to me (pants, gloves, helmets, etc.).

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 09:21 AM
Canadiens1958

Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I of course have the option of buying during online sales and having it shipped to their house (sticks, bags, accessories, etc.). However, being able to try on stuff is easily worth 10% to me (pants, gloves, helmets, etc.).

Good point. Also some of the big outlets in Canada have areas and demo equipment where sticks and other accessories may be tested.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote