Old
01-08-2014, 08:52 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskiv View Post
If we get a 2nd 1st rounder what about going after ho-sang
Depends who is on the board but Ho-Sang could be the steal of the draft if he gets his attitude together.

Highly, highly skilled and looked like a future #1 pick coming into junior but his stock has done nothing but plummet ever since.

01-08-2014, 09:09 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
oiler fans are going to be very upset. Or at least I would think.
I don't know. I think Oiler's management thinks a lot of the same way their fans do. I know the fans wanted Monahan for some size in their forwards and a big 2nd C. It almost makes sense too considering how hard it is to get talented two-way centers, let alone big ones. Ekblad is definitely someone they should not pass on. He makes their defense future so much more likely to be one they can win with. However Oiler fans swear left, right and center that Nurse with Klefbom and Marincin, Gernat and Musil will be enough. So who knows.

Buffalo is the real wild card though. They have a pretty well rounded system. They have a pretty decent future at center with CoHo, Grigorenko, Girgensons, JT Compher and Johan Larsson. Their defense is actually pretty impressive with Ristolainen, Zadorov, McCabe and Pysyk. They have decent (not great but decent) prospects at the wing with Armia, Justin Bailey, Possler and Baptiste.

They probably go with BPA, although the wing could use some help.

Old
01-08-2014, 09:18 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
My number 1 target in this draft is Ekblad. Even if we don't finish bottom 2 but say bottom 5 I think there's a possibility he slips a bit like Jones last year, but IMO he should be the flames #1 target, up on forward we already have some good prospects and one very good one in Monohan, however on defence besides Brodie we really have no big prospects. Ekblad is a big right handed Defenceman who I thought looked amazing at the world juniors. Giordano,Ekblad would be a great pair next season. Also Burke had a reputation of drafting defenceman high in toronto (Schenn,Percy,Finn,Reilly)
RH'd dman are hard to come by. Top pairing potential RH'ds are very hard to come by. The whole RH/LH thing is a little overblown at times, but Ekblad would be a core piece to the team for years to come on the top pairing. Him and Brodie would be a nice way to build teh defense core.

Also Burke didn't draft Schenn. Cliff Fletcher did.

Old
01-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Depends who is on the board but Ho-Sang could be the steal of the draft if he gets his attitude together.

Highly, highly skilled and looked like a future #1 pick coming into junior but his stock has done nothing but plummet ever since.
I remember reading an article a couple years back where they referred to his ability as like top tier elite and was definitely in the discussion about going very early in this draft along with Sammy Reinhart.

I think most lists have him going early second round now. Which is great for Calgary, because they should be picking 31/32 this year.

Old
01-08-2014, 09:24 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbsarebad View Post
If we get a second 1sst rounder I want Virtanen, he's fallen in the ranks, but I think he's the RW we need. Man, could you imagine a future Gaudreau-Monahan-Virtanen line? Such Scoring....Much awesome. Then we would have a Baertschi-Dal Colle-Poirier line. So beautiful. The #truculence can come later. Hope Arnold came become the best 3rd liner in the league.
Virtanen would be a nice pick up late in the first. He's struggling with consistency (probably the major reason he's falling) but he's improving nicely. He's still pretty young too, being an August baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post

Ho-Sang is hella talented and he appears to be improving his attitude. However I'd prefer Goldobin over him. If we're going with a small winger, I'd prefer the higher talented guy.

Old
01-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 740
I think there's a lot of hockey to still be played.

I don't think this current Calgary roster was built to do much else but play hard and lose a lot though. Have to imagine after the 5th, when Calgary sells off some vets (and they should be looking to get anything for anyone that's UFA, there are truly no UFA's outside of Berra/Russell I'd even consider keeping honestly) that they won't be winning too many games with an AHL/trade/patch-work team. I don't think Burke will call up too many Heat players simply because the Heat while on a bit of a losing streak currently... have a good chance at being a top contender this year.

I don't think Calgary picks after 3 this year. And I certainly still think there's a great chance that we can still get that first overall pick (it'd be Calgary's luck to fall to dead last or second last, just to have someone else win it with a <5% chance).

Think the main target should be:
Sam Reinhart, but he will go #1, especially if Buffalo is picking.
Aaron Ekblad, if Edmonton gets a chance I think they will take him in a heart-beat.
Michael Dal Colle, I think he has the chance of being a the best player to come out of this draft. It reminds me of the 2006 draft a bit in that regard.
Leon Draisaitl, I think he's more NHL ready than Dal Colle, but his ceiling isn't perhaps as high (still high). I like this kid quite a bit and think he's got the tools to be a really solid NHLer.

Old
01-08-2014, 10:03 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
I remember reading an article a couple years back where they referred to his ability as like top tier elite and was definitely in the discussion about going very early in this draft along with Sammy Reinhart.

I think most lists have him going early second round now. Which is great for Calgary, because they should be picking 31/32 this year.
If he is there at our 2nd round pick I would be ecstatic if we picked him.

Old
01-08-2014, 10:19 AM
BVicious

If we get 1st overall we should trade it, max Reinhart, Berra and Wideman to NYI for Tavaras.

Old
01-08-2014, 12:34 PM
MonahanTheMan
Pray for Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
I don't know. I think Oiler's management thinks a lot of the same way their fans do. I know the fans wanted Monahan for some size in their forwards and a big 2nd C. It almost makes sense too considering how hard it is to get talented two-way centers, let alone big ones. Ekblad is definitely someone they should not pass on. He makes their defense future so much more likely to be one they can win with. However Oiler fans swear left, right and center that Nurse with Klefbom and Marincin, Gernat and Musil will be enough. So who knows.

Buffalo is the real wild card though. They have a pretty well rounded system. They have a pretty decent future at center with CoHo, Grigorenko, Girgensons, JT Compher and Johan Larsson. Their defense is actually pretty impressive with Ristolainen, Zadorov, McCabe and Pysyk. They have decent (not great but decent) prospects at the wing with Armia, Justin Bailey, Possler and Baptiste.

They probably go with BPA, although the wing could use some help.
I could almost see Buffalo reaching to take Draisaitl, especially if they end up with a pick later than first overall.

Old
01-08-2014, 12:35 PM
MonahanTheMan
Pray for Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
If we get 1st overall we should trade it, max Reinhart, Berra and Wideman to NYI for Tavaras.

Not sure if serious

Old
01-08-2014, 12:46 PM
BVicious

Not serious cuz that won't get it done. But I would be willing to trade anything we have for him.

Old
01-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Kanye
Life of Pablo

vCash: 182
If we somehow wind up with Reinhart I want to see a trade to NYI for Griff so we can collect them all.
No sense letting the parents goto 2 rinks to see their kids play

Last edited by Kanye: 01-08-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old
01-08-2014, 01:54 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
If we somehow wind up with Reinhart I want to see a trade to NYI for Griff so we can collect them all.
No sense letting the parents goto 3 rinks to see their kids play
2 rinks

Old
01-08-2014, 03:15 PM
TylerSVT*

I want Ekblad. Reinhart fills a need, but i dont want to turn into the Oilers, we NEED Ekblad. Plus if we are really bad next year we will get one of McDavid or Eichel which are leagues ahead of Sam.

Old
01-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Goodlad

vCash: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
There are rumours that LaFontaine went to alot of teams and cast a wide net for his search and has actually upset some hockey people by doing so.
There are also some rumblings that he was asking a few somewhat indelicate questions about how other organizations' front offices operate. This included questions about drafting philosophies.

Old
01-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Kanye
Life of Pablo

vCash: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I want Ekblad. Reinhart fills a need, but i dont want to turn into the Oilers, we NEED Ekblad. Plus if we are really bad next year we will get one of McDavid or Eichel which are leagues ahead of Sam.
True.

But.

Draft Sam, then draft Eichel or McDavid...

Monahan, Reinhart, and McDavid/Eichel for center depth and move one of them for a legit top pairing D

Problem solved!

Old
01-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Sparky93

Taking Ekblad in the top 3 scares the hell outta me. I'm just not sure he's got #1 potential, #2 sure. If I'm picking in the top 3, I want a #1, whether it's 1LW, 1C, 1RW or 1D. That being said, if he's available, he'd be really hard to pass up.

Old
01-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames rebuilder View Post
Taking Ekblad in the top 3 scares the hell outta me. I'm just not sure he's got #1 potential, #2 sure. If I'm picking in the top 3, I want a #1, whether it's 1LW, 1C, 1RW or 1D. That being said, if he's available, he'd be really hard to pass up.
I disagree in fact I hope the flames draft Ekblad. IMO he does have the potential to be a 1D if not a pretty good 2D, which fills a bigger need for the flames than drafting another forward. We already have prospects like Monohan,Baertchi,Gaudreu,Granlund,Knight,Jankowski ,Poirer,Klimchuk etc plus hopefully we will have atleast one more pick in the first round and we could pick up another forward. Even looking forward to next years draft I don't see any great D with the potential of Ekblad so we will most likely draft a forward next year also (hopefully mcdavid) so IMO the flames should pick Ekblad and get that #1/2 D this team can build it's D core around with the likes of Brodie, Wotherspoon and seiloff and I could definitley see Burke wanting him with his body size he would definitley fit into the mold of making our team bigger.

Old
01-08-2014, 06:31 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
Not many sure fire top line players in this draft, maybe none.

Old
01-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Janko Unchained
Flames gonna flam

vCash: 115
Quote:
No sense letting the parents goto 2 rinks to see their kids play
If we somehow draft Sam Reinhart, I am dibsing the username "Super Reinhart Bros".

Old
01-08-2014, 06:55 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
Not many sure fire top line players in this draft, maybe none.
I'd say Reinhart is a pretty good bet as a 1C.

Old
01-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Sparky93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
I disagree in fact I hope the flames draft Ekblad. IMO he does have the potential to be a 1D if not a pretty good 2D, which fills a bigger need for the flames than drafting another forward. We already have prospects like Monohan,Baertchi,Gaudreu,Granlund,Knight,Jankowski ,Poirer,Klimchuk etc plus hopefully we will have atleast one more pick in the first round and we could pick up another forward. Even looking forward to next years draft I don't see any great D with the potential of Ekblad so we will most likely draft a forward next year also (hopefully mcdavid) so IMO the flames should pick Ekblad and get that #1/2 D this team can build it's D core around with the likes of Brodie, Wotherspoon and seiloff and I could definitley see Burke wanting him with his body size he would definitley fit into the mold of making our team bigger.
We definitely need a blue chip defenseman and like I said he'd be hard to pass up. It's pretty much a given, I'd say, that if he's there we take him. Doesn't make me feel more comfortable about it though.

Old
01-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
The Oilers are the Oilers because they won't make trades. There's no logical reason to think the Flames will be the same way when their approach to development has been the complete opposite. Drafting based on needs leads to picks like Jankowksi.

It's not a very strong draft from I gather. So if Cammalleri can garner a first at the deadline, maybe the Flames can move up and nab Haydn Fleury.

One of Ekblad/Reinhart/Dal Colle/Draisaitl + Fleury would be a pretty strong first round.

Old
01-09-2014, 09:24 AM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskiv View Post
If we get a 2nd 1st rounder what about going after ho-sang
Not a big fan of draft fallers. Unless he has an unreal 2nd half of the season, i would rather stay away.

Skill or not, if he doesnt have the drive to be better at 17, what chance does he have at 25+

Old
01-09-2014, 09:31 AM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
True.

But.

Draft Sam, then draft Eichel or McDavid...

Monahan, Reinhart, and McDavid/Eichel for center depth and move one of them for a legit top pairing D

Problem solved!
Fair, but i seriously doubt we could pull this off.

Example, what would it take to get OEL out of Phoenix? RNH maybe? Even then i dont know if Phoenix makes that deal.

Top flight guys (#1C or #1D) are almost never traded. I see your point though, i just like Ekblad's game, he seems like a smart player who also has a big body and a great shot. I see him similar to Weber.

Reinhart (in my limited viewings) seemed to think the game well, but lacked a certain intensity.

I would be stoked with either one, but i prefer Ekblad to Reinhart ATM.

If the 2015 draft were more defense oriented i would likely rather have Reinhart, but with Eichel/McDavid on the board, i dont see a reason for us to possibly get more offense.

Closed Thread