Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calgary Flames 2014 Draft Thread Part 1

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2013, 11:01 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Given that we value size as well as skill and aren't afraid to draft from the USHL I would keep my eye on Alex Tuch with our second or if we get a late first. He is 6'3 218 pounds RW who is committed to Boston College next year.

Also Ryan Mantha who is 6'5 225 pounds defensive defenseman that as far as I can tell has committed any where and could player where ever the Flames think is best for him.

Last edited by TheHudlinator: 11-14-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old
11-14-2013, 11:07 AM
herashak

id rather have one of the big powerforwards from the OHL than nylander

Old
11-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Ace Rimmer
What a guy!

vCash: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I do not want Nylander with our pick if we are at 5.
I'm curious as to why you feel this way. Prior to this season he was talked about in the top three.

Is it just due to his size?

― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old
11-14-2013, 11:17 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
id rather have one of the big powerforwards from the OHL than nylander
You say that now but have you actually seen him play?

Old
11-14-2013, 11:20 AM
herashak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
You say that now but have you actually seen him play?
no but ive seen bennet and i think he or dal colle or ritchie will be worth more to our team

Old
11-14-2013, 11:26 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
no but ive seen bennet and i think he or dal colle or ritchie will be worth more to our team
I haven't seen him play either but have read some great things about him.

Personally I think he would be prefect to get as he can play C or LW but is right handed so we could move him to right wing. Everything I have read is that he is a smart player that has a solid 2 way game.

I really like Ritchie but Nylander being right handed is a big plus.

Old
11-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Ferkland
Mumen Rider

Why don't we just put the names of the players we want and put them into a hat, and which ever one we draw we pick?

Last edited by Ferkland: 11-14-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old
11-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Johnny Hoxville
**** Cancer

vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I'm curious as to why you feel this way. Prior to this season he was talked about in the top three.

Is it just due to his size?
Mostly from an organizational fit and need. Yes his size is one point, we already enough smallish highly skilled forwards in the system (albeit maybe none at his caliber of skill). I don't think he sounds like a Burke type player, and while his skill is maybe the best in the draft, to me it also sounds like he has among the best potential to bust.

If we are taking a forward, I'd rather we take one of the higher end wingers. But personally I hope we draft a dman. It's is HUGE organization hole that needs to be filled. We don't have a single player in our system that has the potential to be true top pairing dman. I think they are better options for us than Nylander when looking at the best overall organizational fit.

But then again I'm basing my opinion off of YT highlights and scouting reports.

Old
11-14-2013, 12:01 PM
JohnnyGoodDro
haatley

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbsarebad View Post
In no way, shape or form will a team run by Brian Burke pick a small bodied centerman at this upcoming draft. They will try to get Ekblad or Reinhart and if that fails they will get the biggest, hardest working guy after that. Burke has said specifically that he wants the team to get big, like real big. Nylander does not fit in there, especially since we have Gaudreau.

I'm hoping we win the Draft, pick Ekblad and force the Oilers to pick another Center or winger (or make them give up their pick for a d-man). Not only do we need the defensive talent, but it would feel so good to kick the oilers while they're down. That being said, it probably won't happen and the oilers will get the best d-man out of the draft and ruin him. The fact that Sieloff and Wotherspoon are our best defensive prospects makes me feel pretty miserable.
I hope to god Burke leaves the drafting to Feaster and Weisbrod. Burkes drafting in Toronto was pitiful.

Old
11-14-2013, 12:04 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 81
To be perfectly honest I hope we dont end up with Nylander as well. Great player and everything but we dont need another small winger in the system.

11-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Flames are trending madly down, i would say its a Top 3 pick for sure.
We just went through a stretch of playing the Blackhawks, Blues, Avs and Sharks, so I'd take that with a grain of salt. If we lose this one, I agree. This game is one we should win.

Old
11-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 494
If the Flames are picking out of the top 5 I still want Virtanen. Fills a huge need for the team.

Old
11-14-2013, 01:46 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
To be perfectly honest I hope we dont end up with Nylander as well. Great player and everything but we dont need another small winger in the system.
Its always a toss up between best player available and meeting organizational needs. But we can't go down the Oilers route, we need RW, high end D, and size

Old
11-14-2013, 01:48 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Its always a toss up between best player available and meeting organizational needs. But we can't go down the Oilers route, we need RW, high end D, and size
Ekblad and Virtanen would be my primary targets.

Old
11-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Johnny Hoxville
**** Cancer

vCash: 2403
Quote:
Ekblad and Virtanen would be my primary targets.
I agree with this, still quite a few appealing forwards out there though. I think Ekblad will fall to about 4-5 based on past drafts. I also think the Oilers trade their pick this year.

Old
11-14-2013, 01:57 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I agree with this, still quite a few appealing forwards out there though. I think Ekblad will fall to about 4-5 based on past drafts. I also think the Oilers trade their pick this year.
I could also see Ekblad falling but the thing to keep in mind with this draft, is there doesn't appear to be any "franchise" potential forwards, not really even Reinhart. For that reason I think Ekblad has a better chance than prior highly touted defenders, of going in the top 2.

Old
11-14-2013, 02:14 PM
herashak

I question virtanens smarts for a top 5 pick

Old
11-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Ace Rimmer
What a guy!

Quote:
I'm wary about not taking best player available - especially with a high-ish first round pick. Otherwise you can easily blow those picks on players like Chris Dingman. Later in the draft you can try to fill organizational needs.

Old
11-14-2013, 02:32 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Always go for BPA, the Oilers are where they are because of 2 reasons.

1) After their first round picks they have little to show for their drafts, they simply have poor scouts or management that won't listen to said scouts.

2) They are hoarders the whole point of taking BPA is knowing that one day you will most likely have to make a trade. The Oilers have refused to make any real trades to help their team.

Old
11-14-2013, 02:33 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
I'm wary about not taking best player available - especially with a high-ish first round pick. Otherwise you can easily blow those picks on players like Chris Dingman. Later in the draft you can try to fill organizational needs.
I just fear ending up like the Oilers and having a top 6 with Baertschi, Gaudreau and Nylander as 3 of our 4 wingers. Far too small.

Old
11-14-2013, 02:36 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I just fear ending up like the Oilers and having a top 6 with Baertschi, Gaudreau and Nylander as 3 of our 4 wingers. Far too small.
Then trade one. It really isn't a big deal you draft the best player and trade for need never the other way around.

Sven for Larrson has been thrown around as a possible deal.

Plus we have no idea if any of those 3 even work out, we should take BPA and worry about having to many skilled guys later.

Old
11-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Ace Rimmer
What a guy!

Quote:
Draft for skill, trade for need.

I think if the Flames wind up with those three players, and they all wind up NHL calibre players, I'm okay with a bit small here and there. Just as long as they know where their end of the ice is.

Old
11-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Always go for BPA, the Oilers are where they are because of 2 reasons.

1) After their first round picks they have little to show for their drafts, they simply have poor scouts or management that won't listen to said scouts.

2) They are hoarders the whole point of taking BPA is knowing that one day you will most likely have to make a trade. The Oilers have refused to make any real trades to help their team.
Well, they did make a good move with Pajaarvif for Perron. I think that the big problem is point number one (something we don't seem to need to worry about), and the fact that they let their youngsters' value drop too much before looking to move them. Guys like Linus Omark were more attractive a few years ago, and probably could have been moved then.

Old
11-14-2013, 02:51 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Then trade one. It really isn't a big deal you draft the best player and trade for need never the other way around.

Sven for Larrson has been thrown around as a possible deal.

Plus we have no idea if any of those 3 even work out, we should take BPA and worry about having to many skilled guys later.
Quote:

I think if the Flames wind up with those three players, and they all wind up NHL calibre players, I'm okay with a bit small here and there. Just as long as they know where their end of the ice is.
This is much easier said than done and history shows that.

Old
11-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
This sums it up quite well.

For example, the Penguins draft a lot of defensemen which they end up trading for wingers; Whitney for Kunitz and Goligoski for Neal+Niskanen.

The Bruins had a surplus of picks and prospects, so they moved some for Kaberle, Horton and Seidenberg.

If the Flames end up with a surplus of talented forwards, it's a) a great problem to have and b) it's easy to fix so long as the GM and management don't become overly attached to their players.

Closed Thread