HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2015 outdoor game: Sharks "expected" to host game in 14-15 (news update in post #90)

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Leidi J

vCash: 500
Mike Rosenberg ‏@RosenbergMerc 2h
Grainy but #49ers pitching its potential to host #SJSharks outdoor game on stadium video board today pic.twitter.com/mEO6yKRg76

Old
02-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUndertow40Six2 View Post
That means the records for the rest of the league are based off of paid attendance. This still leaves them above league average. They hardly struggle to attract fans during the Bonds era.
Candlestick was pretty empty for a lot of that time. Check out their attendance in the 90's. 3 years below 20k with only 1 getting above 30k.

Old
02-27-2014, 06:56 PM
rangerssharks414

I've got to think that Levi's Stadium is out unless they want to play the game in February. The 49ers could very well have a home playoff game in late January.

Just curious, around when is the NHL All-Star Game? Late January if I recall correctly? They did most of the stadium games in late January this year.

Old
02-28-2014, 06:22 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
I've got to think that Levi's Stadium is out unless they want to play the game in February. The 49ers could very well have a home playoff game in late January.

Just curious, around when is the NHL All-Star Game? Late January if I recall correctly? They did most of the stadium games in late January this year.
They are having two stadium series games (Ok, one is the Haritage Classic but I digress) this weekend. They could do it in March, and then make way for all the WWE stuff for Wrestlemania.

Old
02-28-2014, 08:44 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharksfan39 View Post
They are having two stadium series games (Ok, one is the Haritage Classic but I digress) this weekend. They could do it in March, and then make way for all the WWE stuff for Wrestlemania.
I don't know what the weather is like in the Bay Area. Is it too warm in March?

Old
02-28-2014, 08:46 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

They did it in Vegas

Old
02-28-2014, 08:51 PM
SJSharksfan39

Quote:
I don't know what the weather is like in the Bay Area. Is it too warm in March?
The weather in January was spring like. It's probably going to rain all this weekend.

Old
03-04-2014, 06:07 PM
hockeyincali

My work overlooks AT&T park. Today there was a sharks and nhl logo on the scoreboard. I guess they were checking out the venue. Seems promising to get an outdoor game sometime soon. I was unable to get a decent picture.

Old
03-07-2014, 05:18 AM
ADifferentTim
Dream Fighter

vCash: 605
Pardon the bump, but since San Jose Sharks are singlehandedly carrying NHL hockey in NorCal, why not have the Sharks host 3 outdoor games in SF proper, East Bay, and Levi's Stadium, respectively?

On a business standpoint, this allows the Sharks to expand outside its Silicon Valley HQ; specifically, this move allows the Sharks to reach out to other sections of the San Francisco Bay Area.

Theoretically speaking, I picture the following:

Match: Anaheim Ducks vs San Jose Sharks
Venue: Levi's Stadium

Seeing how the traditional Sharks fan base is in Silicon Valley, this allow Sharks fans to go to the game, while facing one of its most bitter divisional rivals in front of its home audience, especially when the Sharks fanbase will never live down the 2009 NHL Conference Quarterfinals.

Match: Los Angeles Kings vs San Jose Sharks
Venue: Oakland Coliseum

Having personally lived in the East Bay for two years, I actually ran into tons of transplants from the East Coast to L.A.(!!!), this would be a guaranteed easy draw. I know for a fact that for the two years I lived in the East Bay, people still find it extremely hard to believe L.A. won the Stanley Cup in 2012, to the point that got dismissed into something as unbelievable as a Deus Ex Machina.

Besides, the SF East Bay is the most BART-accessible amongst SF Bay Area sections, as Oakland Coliseum has its own dedicated BART station. In addition, the SF SBay Sharks fanbase can just take the Amtrak Capitol Corridor line from SJ to OAK Coliseum for $16/one way.

Match: Vancouver Canucks vs San Jose Sharks
Venue: AT&T Park

One of my former classmates back in Laney, a Sharks employee in its Downtown Oakland Ice Rink facility, once told me in real life that Canucks fans fly down to SJ when the Canucks visit the Sharks and actually get more bang for the buck, especially when the Canadian dollar is hyper-appreciating, in contrast to the US dollar.

In addition, everybody knows SF is the Crown Jewel of the Bay Area.

With the following said, would these proposals look better in application and revenue than they look on paper?

Old
03-07-2014, 06:32 AM
Leidi J

The Coliseum is an eyesore and a dump. No way they ever host any kind of spectacle there.

As for the other two venues, I see pros and cons of each, and so would be fine with either. The NHL would never give the Sharks 2 outdoor games. They barely pay attention to us as it is despite being one of the most consistently successful and competitive teams of the last decade.

but whatcha gonna do?

Old
03-07-2014, 11:03 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

There should only be 2 outdoor classics period. The main even and the Heritage classic and that's it.

SJ vs. LA/ANA AT&T park. Count it!

Old
03-07-2014, 11:59 AM
rangerssharks414

I doubt the Oakland Coliseum will ever be considered. And I doubt the Sharks would get three outdoor games in the near future. I'm surprised that they're even being considered for one.

Old
03-07-2014, 03:56 PM
krudmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADifferentTim View Post
In addition, everybody knows SF is the Crown Jewel of the Bay Area.
So go post in their forum.

Old
03-08-2014, 04:51 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
I doubt the Oakland Coliseum will ever be considered. And I doubt the Sharks would get three outdoor games in the near future. I'm surprised that they're even being considered for one.
Well they're only in the hunt for one because the "Stadium Series" is a code name for the "Consolation Series" (with a few exceptions, of course, but this year the Stadium Series had multiple teams that will likely never get into a Winter Classic, even as the road team: Kings, Ducks, Isles and Devils).

If this summer there was a rumor floating around that the Sharks would get into a Winter Classic as the road team, that's when I'd be surprised (IMHO), not for their consideration to be in an outdoor game the NHL world doesn't care about in late Jan or Feb.

Old
06-02-2014, 07:28 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

KKurzCSN 4:08pm via TweetDeck #SJSharks expected to host outdoor game in 2015 csnbayarea.com/sharks/sharks-…

As close to "definitely" hosting we've heard.

Old
06-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Kitten Mittons

Wow did not expect that. But then again, outdoor games are so common note, kind of lost its flare.

Old
06-02-2014, 07:55 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
It's pretty cool, but personally the main appeal to an outdoor game would be 24/7, which is only for the Winter Classic, which we'd never get.

Old
06-02-2014, 08:02 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
It's pretty cool, but personally the main appeal to an outdoor game would be 24/7, which is only for the Winter Classic, which we'd never get.
NBCSN had a series of 30 minute features on the teams of the non-Winter Classic games. "A Season Revealed"

Old
06-02-2014, 08:06 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
NBCSN had a series of 30 minute features on the teams of the non-Winter Classic games. "A Season Revealed"
Really? Okay, that might appease me.

Old
06-02-2014, 08:20 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

I think the outdoor games are gimmicks but I am glad that we get the respect of getting one, and especially hosting it.

Old
06-02-2014, 08:42 PM
SJSharksfan39

I hope they use AT&T Park. With all Due respect to Levis and Stanford, to have a Hockey Game on the Shores of San Francisco Bay would be awesome.

Old
06-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Wonder if Sharks season ticket holders will get first shot at tickets before the general public?

Old
06-02-2014, 08:47 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharksfan39 View Post
I hope they use AT&T Park. With all Due respect to Levis and Stanford, to have a Hockey Game on the Shores of San Francisco Bay would be awesome.
But Levis is so convenient for me and about 90% of the people who go to Sharks games. It's literally next to Great America. Also, I'm sure capacity is probably a factor here. It says Levi's is 68,500 people and ATT Park is 41,000 people. As cool as Hockey on the Bay would be, I think they want as many people to go as possible.

Old
06-02-2014, 08:53 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Really? Okay, that might appease me.
As soon as the Sharks are announced for an outdoor game, expect NBCSN to cancel that series too.

Old
06-02-2014, 08:54 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
But Levis is so convenient for me and about 90% of the people who go to Sharks games. It's literally next to Great America. Also, I'm sure capacity is probably a factor here. It says Levi's is 68,500 people and ATT Park is 41,000 people. As cool as Hockey on the Bay would be, I think they want as many people to go as possible.
You'd think they'd want as many people as possible, but I'd counter and suggest that they want a guaranteed sellout with high demand for tickets rather than any possibility of empty seats.

(Although if you do Kings @ Sharks, hell even Nucks @ Sharks, that's probably not an issue)

Edit: If it is Kings @ Sharks, everyone will probably want to attend, since the NBCSN national broadcast (assuming there is one, like they did for Kings/Ducks this year) will mention 50 million times the 2014 1st round and how it went down with Kings/Sharks.

Closed Thread