HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2015 outdoor game: Sharks "expected" to host game in 14-15 (news update in post #90)

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2014, 08:56 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
Wonder if Sharks season ticket holders will get first shot at tickets before the general public?
Why wouldn't they? It's a home game, after all. I think in all outdoor games (at least US ones, can't speak for Canadian ones) the home team's STH had first crack at tickets. If I'm not mistaken, road team's STH's did as well (At least before general sale, I mean).

Old
06-02-2014, 08:59 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Wonder if Sharks season ticket holders will get first shot at tickets before the general public?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Why wouldn't they? It's a home game, after all. I think in all outdoor games (at least US ones, can't speak for Canadian ones) the home team's STH had first crack at tickets. If I'm not mistaken, road team's STH's did as well (At least before general sale, I mean).
I'm guessing that it might be included in (full) STH package.

Old
06-02-2014, 08:59 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
You'd think they'd want as many people as possible, but I'd counter and suggest that they want a guaranteed sellout with high demand for tickets rather than any possibility of empty seats.

(Although if you do Kings @ Sharks, hell even Nucks @ Sharks, that's probably not an issue)
It's really gonna depend on the match up probably. I don't think Sharks fandom spreads out far past San Jose. I know a lot of guys on here are from elsewhere but I mean in a general sense. I could see Nucks vs Sharks happening though for a Stadium Series game.

Old
06-02-2014, 09:02 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
It's really gonna depend on the match up probably. I don't think Sharks fandom spreads out far past San Jose. I know a lot of guys on here are from elsewhere but I mean in a general sense. I could see Nucks vs Sharks happening though for a Stadium Series game.
Even if it doesn't, to suggest that Sharks fans won't be completely represented if the outdoor novelty game is in SF (or anywhere in the Bay Area) is insane, if that is what you are in fact suggesting.

If the Kings win the Cup (ugh), I think it's Kings/Sharks. Allows for hockey media to use the Sharks home outdoor game just to rail on them about the 2014 playoffs all game long.

Old
06-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Original 1991 Teal Jerseys for the Stadium Series Jersey please.

Old
06-02-2014, 09:06 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Even if it doesn't, to suggest that Sharks fans won't be completely represented if the outdoor novelty game is in SF (or anywhere in the Bay Area) is insane, if that is what you are in fact suggesting.

If the Kings win the Cup (ugh), I think it's Kings/Sharks. Allows for hockey media to use the Sharks home outdoor game just to rail on them about the 2014 playoffs all game long.
Okay that's fair. I'd probably still go if it was ATT park anyways.

Old
06-02-2014, 09:10 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
Okay that's fair. I'd probably still go if it was ATT park anyways.
I'm debating going even though I live in Dallas at the moment, and even though in the past it has angered me beyond belief (as far as how angry I get at things related to the Sharks) that the Sharks haven't been in a Winter Classic and as I said in the last post in this thread before today, might as well call the Stadium Series the "Consolation Series." (Seriously, when they announce it, they might as well say, "Today we officially go on record stating that the San Jose Sharks will NEVER EVER EVER play in a Winter Classic, even as the road team. That's right folks, we are announcing they are hosting a Stadium Series game this season. The Winter Classic will be two of Bruins/Flyers/Rangers/Caps/Pens/Hawks/Wings. Once in a while we'll throw in a team that has only made the playoffs once since the 04-05 lockout, but ONLY if they are the Maple Leafs.")

If someone with my viewpoint and not being in the area is debating going, you can bet Sharks fans from all over will be looking at this game like it's the holy grail of games to attend. Unlike me, most Sharks fans will perceive it as the Sharks being in the Winter Classic.

I would also argue that even if you had the game in the South Bay, you'd still get a ton of people from other parts of the Bay attending their first hockey game (i.e., people who aren't Sharks fans or even those morons who refuse to acknowledge the Sharks exist), because of the novelty factor.

Last edited by ChompChomp: 06-02-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old
06-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
It will be the black jerseys, we all know that lol. Every other team comes up with cool new jerseys for the games, the sharks just use there black jerseys lol.

Old
06-02-2014, 10:54 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
And the purple and gold Kings sweaters.

06-03-2014, 02:27 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...n-outdoor-game

COO Tortora confirms Sharks are still "in the running"

Old
06-03-2014, 02:51 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
For the love of God they'd better do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
It will be the black jerseys, we all know that lol. Every other team comes up with cool new jerseys for the games, the sharks just use there black jerseys lol.
But yes, if I were betting I would put it on black, or probably some new version of the black jerseys...stupid Sharks

Old
06-03-2014, 07:34 AM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

I'm moving to NYC soon, but would definitely fly back for this. I love the people that are too cool to even think about enjoying this. Please stay home. More tickets for the rest of us! Once in a lifetime game here.

Old
06-03-2014, 10:49 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksohnoes! View Post
I'm moving to NYC soon, but would definitely fly back for this
I'd like to fly back for the fun element too (but have concerns/issues about supporting it, as noted above), but it rains a lot in the Bay Area in Jan/Feb. Imagine how ****ed all of us out of market fans would be if they had to postpone, at the very last minute, the game by a week? You make all these travel plans to fly in on a Friday, game on Sat, leave on Sunday, and actually come in Friday, and just before you leave to go to the stadium, Bettman pushes it out 7 days because of weather. Such a scenario is extremely rare with indoor games (but has happened in SJ, once I believe), but an outdoor game in the Bay?

I would guess the possibility of that happening is much higher than with last season's SoCal game, or really any other outdoor game to date. I think it's worth putting that out there. The temps on a cool Jan/Feb night aren't as much of an issue as rain.

Old
06-03-2014, 11:15 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

Quote:
I'd like to fly back for the fun element too (but have concerns/issues about supporting it, as noted above), but it rains a lot in the Bay Area in Jan/Feb. Imagine how ****ed all of us out of market fans would be if they had to postpone, at the very last minute, the game by a week? You make all these travel plans to fly in on a Friday, game on Sat, leave on Sunday, and actually come in Friday, and just before you leave to go to the stadium, Bettman pushes it out 7 days because of weather. Such a scenario is extremely rare with indoor games (but has happened in SJ, once I believe), but an outdoor game in the Bay?

I would guess the possibility of that happening is much higher than with last season's SoCal game, or really any other outdoor game to date. I think it's worth putting that out there. The temps on a cool Jan/Feb night aren't as much of an issue as rain.
Well here is how you fix that problem about the rain!

Old
06-03-2014, 11:19 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

A blog person had top 5 reasons that the Outdoor game (Stadium Series not be confused with the Winter Classic!), should be in SJ.

Not in any order but here is what I remember:

1. ATT Park solely for the view (hopefully Niners will be in playoff mode and Levi's won't be available).

2. Throwback teal jerseys circa 1991 (as everyone has mentioned in this thread so far).

3. vs. The Kings

4. No KISS - Get the likes of Neil Young, Metallica, etc. and those bands that are from the Bay Area.

5. No Jeremy Roenick or KISS again!

Old
06-03-2014, 12:37 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
4. No KISS - Get the likes of Neil Young, Metallica, etc. and those bands that are from the Bay Area.
We're talking about the NHL here. I'd fully expect Smashmouth (from San Jose), and not even their good songs, but rather their songs/covers from the Shrek movies. Get ready to cringe.

Old
06-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

I want the 91 teal too, but chances are we get some crappy "chrome" jersey like (most) other stadium series teams wore. Aweful, just aweful. Once again, NHL is about 10 years behind the trends.

Old
06-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Eighth Fret

Son of a....

I may have to break my no $$$ spent on the Sharks for a calendar year after this year's choke for this.

Old
06-03-2014, 11:56 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

WRT Levi's conflicts with NFL playoffs/SB... This will not be a "Winter Classic" (January 1), but either Late January, or February or early March.

Old
06-04-2014, 01:27 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
WRT Levi's conflicts with NFL playoffs/SB... This will not be a "Winter Classic" (January 1), but either Late January, or February or early March.
I thought everyone in the thread knows it's not a Winter Classic, but part of the Consolation Series.

As to Super Bowl, there is no SB conflict in Jan/Feb 2015 because that SB is in Arizona, BUT I don't think Levi's can happen in late January, right? Late January would mean that weekend between conf title games and the SB, and the Niners could very well host an NFC title game the weekend before. And as I understand it, the NHL needs more than a week to set up outdoor ice.

So it would seem that if, this summer, they announced an outdoor game at Levi's in early 2015, it would definitely NOT be in January, correct? There's no way the NHL can pencil in Jan 24/25 for a Sharks outdoor game at Levi's with the chance that the Niners could be hosting an NFC title game on Sun Jan 18. (I suppose, barring any other conflicts, they could do Levi's Feb 7/8 or other dates in Feb/March)

And then back to speculation, if the NHL wants the Sharks outdoor game to be that weekend (Jan 24/25) between title games and SB (like the Ducks/Kings game this season was), then it has to be AT&T or at least some non-Levi's venue, right?

Old
06-04-2014, 01:37 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

I don't know how many people have read my rants in this thread over the months re: Sharks, an outdoor game, and the Winter Classic, but if the NHL really wants to be bold, they'd use the Sharks outdoor game to test out a game with national appeal, rather than a regional game. Go with an eastern team (or at least central div) team as the opponent. I've been begging for a Winter Classic with a classic west vs. east matchup. Why not at least see how the ratings go if you make this outdoor game a west vs. east showdown. At least show us a game like that and if the ratings suck, you have your evidence to support the contention that a Pac div team should never be in the Winter Classic, even as the road team.

Imagine this:

Bettman presser in July:
"Today we announce one of the Stadium Series games will be played on Saturday, January 24, 2015 at AT&T Park in San Francisco.

The San Jose Sharks will host a team very familiar to them.

Arguably their oldest and longest standing rival.

The team they've had classic regular season and post season battles with.

The team they've played the most in the playoffs in franchise history.

Playoff series' that shaped the Sharks, both positive and negative.

The opponent that has always been the measuring stick for the Sharks.

The opponent that has, throughout their brief history, defined the Sharks.

On Saturday, January 24, 2015, 8:00pm Eastern / 5:00pm Pacific, ON NBC, coast-to-coast, the NHL is proud to announce the Stadium Series matchup between host San Jose Sharks and...

The Detroit Red Wings.
"

How epic would that be?? (The NHL took away our biggest conf rival in Detroit, how about making their sole trip to the Bay Area be in a nationally televised outdoor game? You want buzz throughout the hockey world for this Stadium Series matchup? ALL you need is Sharks v. Red Wings. And before you say the Wings won't be in it because they were in the WC last year, Rangers were in the last WC before that and were in 2 Stadium games this season. Rather than just being against a SoCal team or the Nucks, give us our old classic rival that we hate and they hate us.)

Last edited by ChompChomp: 06-04-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old
06-04-2014, 02:02 AM
Weastern Bias
Patrick Starleau

^^^ So much better than LA

I hope it's not chrome next year, but if it is, maybe they can take out the orange and it'll almost look like the old grey?

Almost?

Old
06-04-2014, 02:07 AM
Pavelski2112
Bold as Boognish

I'd love a SJS-DET Stadium game.

Old
06-04-2014, 03:24 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
I've been begging for a Winter Classic with a classic west vs. east matchup.
Now that Detroit is in the east, Detroit vs. Chicago. There you go. You know the NHL (and NBC) love those teams.

Old
06-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Futuristic
Hertl My Pickles

vCash: 375
I hope it's at AT&T Park, might be the most beautiful hockey game I would ever see.

Closed Thread