HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere = Useless

Old
12-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
How about instead of criticizing the poor aging manlet we start discussing MB's bad work as a GM so far. The guy seems to get a free pass because he has a very aesthetic facial structure, good fashion style and charisma but man signing 2 manlet forwards to bad contracts and another manlet defenceman.. Jesus. Rick Dudley do something cuz.
To think that people here vomited on Baldy -- if the decision had to be made now, I'd take Baldy hands down for the job. Something is going on with MB's lackeys -- wait a minute ... nothing's going on.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 06:00 PM
HABS win CUPS*

vCash: 500
give Briere more time I'm betting he will be great for us once he finds his place...or not

HABS win CUPS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 06:08 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
To think that people here vomited on Baldy -- if the decision had to be made now, I'd take Baldy hands down for the job. Something is going on with MB's lackeys -- wait a minute ... nothing's going on.
By Baldy, you mean Mcguire? You must be trolling...remember baldy would have traded Subban and Galchenyuk for Yakapov...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS win CUPS View Post
give Briere more time I'm betting he will be great for us once he finds his place...or not
He gets about 4 minutes a game with useful players.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
By Baldy, you mean Mcguire? You must be trolling...remember baldy would have traded Subban and Galchenyuk for Yakapov...
Nah, just venting. I was expecting better from MB and his team of hand-picked sycophants.

DD 4-year deal, Brière signing, trading for a frail Parros, trading the much-hyped Kristo for another diminutive player. The Cole deal looks more and more like an isolated stroke of luck. Hoping I'm wrong, of course.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 06:23 PM
HABS win CUPS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He gets about 4 minutes a game with useful players.
use him how Philly did offensive zone offensive zone offensive zone he shouldnt be a 2 way player maybe that would help him find the groove

i cant remember the game but i have seen a few wow moments this year from Briere

HABS win CUPS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 07:14 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Well, not for you, but I'm right quite a bit more often than you so I'll keep my fingers crossed
Still banking on that high-risk "Parros will be useless" bet I see.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Its quite simple, the Pleks line is basically always the one Therrien rely on to play against the best opposition lines and having Briere playing there make that line more exposed, less reliable defensively..
So replace him with a 19 year old who they don't trust at center yet because he's not ready defensively? Briere/Pleks/Gionta in the 8 game stretch I mentioned were a combined +14 and had 17 points. They held the opposing teams top lines off the score sheet and were scoring at a decent clip themselves. MT was getting offence and defence from that line during the 1st and 2nd periods, and then he moved Moen up to shutdown the final period. It's the only time this year Briere has fit somewhere, they should put him back.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Price My Man Crush

That's what mixing politics and hockey does. Man, I just ****ing hate this organization sometimes.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
He should do the honorable thing and just retire.
Stiffing us with a four mil empty cap hit next year.

Yep, DO IT !

Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 07:54 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
Briere can no longer keep up with the pace of the NHL and cant win a board battle to save his life.

People suggesting its his linemates is laughable, its that his compete level is non-existent which to me is inexcusable.

At least DD shows some battle and back checks with some determination.

As the thread title suggests Briere is utterly useless to us.
It pains me to write this because he's from Gatineau and he's a very nice guy, but you're right.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 07:59 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
My Philly friends say he always does this. Disappears for weeks, then he'll pile a bunch of points on. As long as he does it in the playoffs, all will be forgiven.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:03 PM
HatTricK09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
My Philly friends say he always does this. Disappears for weeks, then he'll pile a bunch of points on. As long as he does it in the playoffs, all will be forgiven.
Sounds like a certain C we have

HatTricK09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:17 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTricK09 View Post
He did suffer two headshots this year.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:16 PM
la25ecoupe

i dont get it. he'a not MT's type of player, didnt't MB consult MT?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:21 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTricK09 View Post
Unfair.. Gio is always working extremmely hard at both ends of the ice and when he isnt producing, he still is valuable doing a great defensive job with Plekanec..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:41 PM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
I will preface this by saying I never liked the Briere signing, and would have no problem with him being dealt.

However, looking at Briere's linemates since his return from injury he was most productive when he was consistently placed on Pleks' line starting vs. the Wild on Nov. 19. They played 8 straight games together and as a line combined for 17 points in 8 games. Keep in mind Briere even got pulled off that line during 3rd periods in favour of Moen when leading, which was pretty much every game during that run. What's significant is that 16 of those points they combined for was at even strength. Since being taken off that line Dec. 5 vs. the Bruins' Pleks/Gionta have 6 points combined and Briere none.

The biggest problem right now is how he's being used. Unfortunately, he's not good enough to be put anywhere and put up points and the coaching staff should know this and use him where he's had success and stop forcing him onto Desharnais' line where they haven't produced anything.

This is a small sample size of 8 games with Pleks/Gionta and 7 without, but I can't think of a logical explanation as to why he got pulled off that line when it was producing playing against top opposition and the team was winning. Makes no sense whatsoever.
Its stats like this that make me wonder if Therrien even pays attention half the time or are the moves he makes just on a wim?

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Unfair.. Gio is always working extremmely hard at both ends of the ice and when he isnt producing, he still is valuable doing a great defensive job with Plekanec..
He meant Desharnais... That's what I'm thinking.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
use him how Philly did offensive zone offensive zone offensive zone he shouldnt be a 2 way player maybe that would help him find the groove

i cant remember the game but i have seen a few wow moments this year from Briere
Same here.

He still has his shot. His wrist shot is better than most on the team. However, he's forced to be a defensive player ? Would be nice, but you can't change Briere at this point.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Andrei79

Quote:
Agreed, Gionta has been excellent.

Marc Bergevin has done some rookie mistakes, but nothing alarming. I've yet to see any trade that equals Gainey's blunders or Gauthier's ineptitude at basic human relations.

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 06:08 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei79 View Post
Agreed, Gionta has been excellent.

Marc Bergevin has done some rookie mistakes, but nothing alarming. I've yet to see any trade that equals Gainey's blunders or Gauthier's ineptitude at basic human relations.
Bergevin has done some seriously bad mistakes. Extending DD for 4 years is one, targeting Briere is another, playing hardball to underpay our best player is one as well.

Let's see where he takes us.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 06:16 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Bergevin has done some seriously bad mistakes. Extending DD for 4 years is one, targeting Briere is another, playing hardball to underpay our best player is one as well.

Let's see where he takes us.
Where we're going, nobody knows!

Maybe by this trade deadline we can finally criticise him with being told that he needs more time.

Briere and DD, how many genius analyses did those deals take?

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 06:31 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Where we're going, nobody knows!

Maybe by this trade deadline we can finally criticise him with being told that he needs more time.

Briere and DD, how many genius analyses did those deals take?
Those were horrible mistakes, there's no excusing them.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 06:38 AM
Rickkins

Let's be honest here.... Bergevin is clearly trying to stock the team with as many Francophone players as he can. That's why Briere is here.

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 08:05 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
Let's be honest here.... Bergevin is clearly trying to stock the team with as many Francophone players as he can. That's why Briere is here.
and you base than on MB bringing... Murray ? Drewiskie ? trading Cole for Ryder ? drafting american player McCarron in 1st round ? signing Ontarian Jack Nevins ? trading for Ontarian Thomas ? the signing of Ontarian Brendan Prust ? acquiring american Parros ? the extension to Euro Budaj ? or maybe it's based on the fact he called up americans Patteryn and Tinordi as well as Ontarian Beaulieu when Emelin got injured last season ? the resigning of said Russian Emelin ? or maybe it's Leblanc being one of the first cuts in camp this season that gave you the idea ?

really, if that's the Org plan they better fire Bergevin right away cause it's clearly not working...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote