HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Holik

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Lonnie Loach

vCash: 500
Bobby Holik

Holik has been bought out by the Rangers. What do people think of the Sens trying to sign him for some veteran depth up the middle ?

Old
07-29-2005, 04:07 PM
The Hamburglar

The way JM and BM have spoken about our centre situation, I believe they will go after a veteran centre. Holik would seem to be a good pick-up if the $ is right.

Old
07-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Lundmark17

I think Holik would be a great addition to the Sens. He would be a guy who could play on the 2nd line and chip in about 50 or 60 points. Playing with Hossa or Alfredsson would be great because he'd allow them to really let loose offensively.

Old
07-29-2005, 04:54 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
If he can fit under the budget, than go for him. But the Sens should be more worried about their own RFA's.

Old
07-29-2005, 05:00 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Which Bobby Holik? The one that played great for New Jersey or the one that sucked for the Rangers?

He would be a gamble, but with his size and experience I believe the NJ Holik would be great in a Sens jersey. With every guy we add though somebody loses a job which in this case is likely White. But what happens to Kaigorodov if we sign a centre? Hopefully a decision is made soon on Kaigorodov whether he is coming to NA or not.

My guess is that we won't see a lot of change to this line up this season, some hockey experts are saying we have what it takes now to win the cup. If there is a change they will likely add one veteran to the roster either at LW or centre or a defenceman if Volchenkov doesn't come back.

Old
07-29-2005, 06:03 PM
TexSen

Holik despite being bought out will sign somewhere in the 4-5 mil a year range....money the Sens just don't have, even under the new system. They've set their budget and I believe they will be sticking with it.

Like someone posted here, expect pretty much the same lineup as late last year.

Old
07-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Roy G Biv*

Mark my words: This is the exact player we need. If we sign one UFA, let this be him.

Perrrrrfect for the 2nd line. Gives a huge, banging top 6 fwd as a bonus.

I keep hearing that mucks is talking to modano. Forget him. Try to get holik.

Old
07-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Brodeur

"Which Bobby Holik? The one that played great for New Jersey or the one that sucked for the Rangers? "

I don't think Holik sucked for the Rangers, it's just that he was always a 2nd line center, and the money that was lavished upon him made people think he was something more. In NJ, he'd always been a 50-60 point forward, which is exactly what he did the last season with the Rangers.

Heck, Holik was a +4 on the Rangers in 2003-04. Plus/minus is kind of a bad stat, but I always like to note which players were pluses on non-playoff teams and which players were minuses on good teams.

Old
07-30-2005, 07:42 PM
EJsens1

This is a player we seriously should make an attempt into signing. He actually played well from what I've read about the Rangers and he was always the only one speaking up about how much a zoo it is in New York. I remember when he was being pursued by the Leafs and Rangers a few years ago, there was some speculation that he didn't want to leave the New York area. Hopefully that doesn't mean much. Having a few Czech players here in Hasek, Varada and Havlat might make it a bit more appealing for him, but what team nowadays doesn't have 2-3 Czech players.
Getting rid of White makes it imperative to add someone for at least one season down the middle. Going with Spezza, Fisher,Smolinski and Vermette (maybe Kelly if you move one of Vermette or Smolinski to the wing) seems a bit thin. Obviously economics and cap space play the biggest obstacle, but with Volchenkov maybe gone and White's salary gone, that gives a bit of flexibility that wasn't there a couple days ago.

Old
07-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Steve

Holik would be a TERRIFIC pick up for you. Trust me, I don't want you to sign him, I'm a leafs fan but he'll give you more grit and i still remember the way he could shut Sundin's line down by himself. I hope you don't get him for my sake but he owuld be a terrific addition to your team

Old
07-30-2005, 08:55 PM
mogilny_2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner
Mark my words: This is the exact player we need. If we sign one UFA, let this be him.

I keep hearing that mucks is talking to modano. Forget him. Try to get holik.

dont jump the gun just yet, you have til monday at noon before you can say that muckler is talkin to modano. If he IS indeed talkin to him, he wouldn't tell anyone that, as it would be no compliance to the rules set in place.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:37 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:

And heaven forbid we get a guy that actually sticks up for his team mates on this team...

Holik would be perfect on this team.

Old
07-30-2005, 11:56 PM
timlap

Holik would be a good fit for Ottawa and bad news for us in Toronto. We've seen all we want to see of this guy in the playoffs.

If you sign him I will be officially envious.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:01 AM
swiftwin
#lalala

Lets see...

A big czech 2nd line center. Expensive. Expected to shut down opposing top line. Expected to make 50-60pts.

Didnt we just get rid of a player exactly like that, because he was deemed to be too expensive for a 2nd line center?

Old
07-31-2005, 01:59 AM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin
Lets see...

A big czech 2nd line center. Expensive. Expected to shut down opposing top line. Expected to make 50-60pts.

Didnt we just get rid of a player exactly like that, because he was deemed to be too expensive for a 2nd line center?
Please do not compare Bonk to Holik. holik is the player Bonk should have become.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:02 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Please do not compare Bonk to Holik. holik is the player Bonk should have become.
Why not? Bonk was under appreciated here in Ottawa and Holik is over appreciated right now, the same might not be true 4 months down the road. I like his size, grit and scoring but he does remind me of Bonk in more ways than one.

I think the 2nd line centre job will go to Kaigorodov, providing he comes over to NA for the rookie salary allowance. If he decides to stay in Russia he could get traded maybe in a package with Prusek. I imagine there would be a few teams that would want his services like Washington to set up Ovenchin and Fehr. That would then force Ottawa to fill that 2nd centre spot with a UFA but again we still have Vermette and Fisher who are capable.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:18 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

I think Holik would be a perfect compliment to our skilled players and I sincerely hope Muckler finally brings in some top 2 line grit to this team.

Old
08-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Lonnie Loach

If Holik is too expensive I wouldn't mind seeing the Sens go after Dave Scatchard -- Muckler has expressed interest in him in the past, and he's a big, physical, gritty forward who can play in our top 6.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:45 PM
bert

I'd prefer Gratton over Scatchard. For a few reasons he has more offense, and he is a lefty, Scatchard shoots right. The sens need a left handed centerman as Spezza, Fisher, Smolinski are all right handed shots. And he is better on faceoffs, he was in the top 10 in the whole nhl.

While I do agree that Holik is the best option I defenitely wouldnt be upset with Gratton.

Havlat Spezza Alfredsson
Vermette Gratton Hossa
Schaefer Smolinski Fisher
Varada Kelly Neil

This is assuming that Kaigorodov doesnt come over ofcourse if he does.

Havlat Spezza Alfredsson
Smolinski Kaigorodov Hossa
Schaefer Gratton Fisher
Varada Vermette Neil

Now that is a scary lineup.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:54 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Why would you want Gratton over Scatchard? Everyone talks about adding people who play with heart to this team, yet you want to add Chris Gratton, one of the laziest players in the NHL? I'd take Scatchard over him in a second.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Pangu

The type of lineup that makes you say, What salary cap?

Old
08-02-2005, 12:03 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by champben2002
The type of lineup that makes you say, What salary cap?
? One UFA makes you say what salary cap? We lost White, Bonk and Bondra. They are replaced with a rookie (Kaigorodov) and a less expensive UFA than both Bonk and Bondra.

Gratton is incredible on face-offs thatís why I want him. He can also play on the top two lines, Scatchard cant. Scatchard is a nice player but we donít lack grit on our bottom two lines and we are full of right handed centerman.

I also donít think Gratton will come at any more than 1.5 million. I guess from what I have seen he isnít one of the laziest hockey players around.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:08 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert
He can also play on the top two lines, Scatchard cant.
Scatchard scored 27 goals a few years ago. Gratton hasn't scored more than 20 goals in 7+ years. Scatchard can most certainly play on the top 2 lines and would be a great addition.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:21 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
Scatchard scored 27 goals a few years ago. Gratton hasn't scored more than 20 goals in 7+ years. Scatchard can most certainly play on the top 2 lines and would be a great addition.
You are right about the 27 goal season he also had one 20 goal season but he is very inconsistent he also doesnt get many assists. Gratton has been close to 20 goals multiple times, he has also played on worse less offensive teams then Scatchard. He also gets alot more assists.

Either way both are a good signing in my books. Good point about the 27 goals I had no recolection of that.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:36 AM
sensens

If this is a 3rd line move, then I'd take Scatchard over Gratton... both are excellent faceoff men and Gratton has an edge in terms of upside, but Scatchard brings a ton more heart and intensity to the table. And in terms of character and leadership, it's really not even close. If we're moving Fisher to LW, we couldn't ask for a better fit to replace him as 3rd line centre.

If we're thinking of this as more of a 2nd line centre move, though, I think you have to go with Gratton. A line of Fisher-Gratton-Hossa would certainly be a handful for any team to contain, and would certainly nicely counterbalance the reportedly potential top line of Havlat-Spezza-Alfredsson. It would be critical for Murray to keep Gratton focussed in the game, though... God knows we don't need another passive element in our top-6.

Am I wrong that this talk of Holik is pretty ridiculous, though? I see there being virtually no chance that Holik doesn't sign for something at least in the $3.5M-$4.5M range, which is well beyond our means right now.

Last edited by sensens: 08-02-2005 at 01:00 AM.
Closed Thread